Profile for Mark Zieg > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 34

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mark Zieg RSS Feed (Kissimmee, FL)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED 22-Inch (21.5-Inch Vis) Widescreen Full HD 1080p LED Monitor with Integrated Stereo Speakers
12 used & new from $100.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks fantastic, December 9, 2012
I drive this with an nVidia 550 Ti, and it looks phenomenal. Very glad I bought it. (Speaking as a full-time software engineer, sharing the computer with a pair of teen-age gamers.)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 12, 2012 10:21 AM PST

"Jolly" Pirate Fish Car Emblem
"Jolly" Pirate Fish Car Emblem
Offered by Ring of Fire Enterprises
Price: $8.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks great!, December 9, 2012
This review is from: "Jolly" Pirate Fish Car Emblem
Confuses my parents, who only see "a dead fish." Frustrates my minister, who takes it as subtle mockery. Pleases me, which was the whole point... :-)

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is., December 9, 2012
Exactly matches picture. Exactly matches what I wanted. (Needed something for a management job, with which I could clearly demonstrate when I was no longer speaking "as your friend," but "as your boss"...)

CybertronPC Assassin GM2242E Gaming Desktop (Orange)
CybertronPC Assassin GM2242E Gaming Desktop (Orange)
Price: $899.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good machine (after some tweaking), December 9, 2012
I bought this PC as a gaming station for my teenage boys. I like the styling, the color (goes well with my car :-), the visual implication of power. So as you can infer, I'm a guy, and I wanted a computer that looked and acted like a muscle car (including the ability to get under the hood and tinker).

A week after setup, the Cybertron delivers. Everyone's happy with it, games and apps look great on the ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED 22-Inch I paired with it.

Not that there weren't some teething pains. For days, we struggled with the Windows Explorer periodically crashing and restarting. After (mostly) resolving that, we hit a stretch where the whole system would freeze for about 15 sec, every 3 minutes or so, then again start responding like nothing had happened.

These issues caused me some little frustration, because I have a CompSci degree, 20 years field experience, and write Windows device drivers for a living, so it was a little embarrassing to have a home system acting up (even the kids').

I did a lot of stuff to it toward the end, but these are what made the biggest difference (it's now "running like a dream" per one son):

* Replaced the twin Radeon 6750's with a GeForce 550 Ti I had sitting around. Nothing against Radeon, I just prefer nVidia, and had it on the shelf (used two spare 4-pin power plugs with the Ti's included "4+4 to 6-pin" adapter).
* Installed every driver Gigabyte had for the motherboard. Then went to their website and found more.
* Disabled Steam and GameStop "run at login" apps, then disabled a bunch of their background interactive features (update checks, etc) — the periodicity of those regular freezes felt like something with kernel-mode access was failing a background DNS lookup or similar.

Anyway, I just wanted other prospective buyers to know that the computer can be made to work great, but it may not work perfectly out-of-the-box. If you're in the market for a "gaming PC," you probably know how to take care of yourself; I just wanted to confirm that, with a little love and care, this does seem to be a pretty sweet machine. (Not necessarily a great value for the money, if you know how to build one up yourself, but it's decent for what you get.)
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2012 7:29 AM PST

Eden Log
Eden Log
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely gorgeous, August 28, 2012
This review is from: Eden Log (Amazon Instant Video)
I was saddened to see so many negative reviews for this movie. I thought it was one of the most beautiful movies I'd seen in a long time, doubly-surprising for the typically crude horror genre. This was what Pandorium could and should have been, with some nice touches reminiscent of Recycle, Prometheus and The Descent. Since it's available for free on Amazon Prime, I suggest you give it at least 5min of your time, and then decide whether what you've seen so far intrigues you enough to continue.

USB Complete Fourth Edition : The Developer's Guide (Complete Guides series)
USB Complete Fourth Edition : The Developer's Guide (Complete Guides series)
by Jan Axelson
Price: $35.72
56 used & new from $27.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, Relevant, and Complete, November 11, 2011
I recently took a job developing USB device drivers, and have found this book extremely useful, especially in combination with Developing Drivers with the Windows Driver Foundation. While much of the same information can be found scattered across the internet, it's very helpful finding it sequenced in clear, legible prose with all the random guesswork and amateurism of blogs filtered out.

LG 47LK520 47-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV (2011 Model)
LG 47LK520 47-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV (2011 Model)
4 used & new from $399.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great unit, good price, October 19, 2011
I visually compared brands at Wal-Mart and identified this model as a good intersection of size, quality, features, and cost. I was frankly ready to buy in the store and take it home in the van, but thought I'd just check the comparable price on Amazon. Amazon offered the same system for $80 (more than 10%) cheaper, including free 2-day shipping under Prime. I'd never shipped anything that big or expensive through them before, but decided to give it a try. Sure enough, the unit arrived in perfect condition on the 2nd business day; while the outer cardboard box had a few nicks and scrapes from UPS, nothing penetrated and the screen was perfectly safe behind 4-inches of styrofoam. It was a breeze to mount on the enclosed stand (helps to lay the screen down on a bed for attaching), and looks great framed by matching black Ikea "Billy" bookcases. No qualms or quibbles at all!

(I'm not a sufficient audiophile to comment on the sound, and the picture quality is more than adequate to my imperfect vision, so don't rely on me for A/V judgement -- but it looks and sounds perfectly fine to me, after testing with digital HD cable and a few widescreen DVDs).

Tripp Lite N060-004 Hinged Wall Mount Patch Panel Bracket - 4U
Tripp Lite N060-004 Hinged Wall Mount Patch Panel Bracket - 4U
Price: $36.20
58 used & new from $30.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great unit, but check dimensions, October 14, 2011
This is a nicely engineered and strong wall-mount, and I really appreciated the swinging hinge. However, make sure to check the "depth" dimension against the hardware you plan to rack-mount, as the bay is actually quite shallow (much too tight, for instance, to hold the popular NETGEAR JFS524 24-port Fast Ethernet Switch (10/100 Mbps)).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2013 7:38 AM PST

MW1P300FK - 300 Watt Voltage Converter Transformer. Converts AC 110V To 220/240V With UK Outlet. Use UK Products In USA.
Offered by VCT ELECTRONICS
Price: $39.95
2 used & new from $28.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, October 14, 2011
This has worked perfectly to power a non-switching UK desktop computer system which I brought back to the US: easier and cheaper than replacing the power supply. No problems whatsoever, glad I bought it.

Clock Movement Quartz Square Antique Black Hand 1/2" Kit
Clock Movement Quartz Square Antique Black Hand 1/2" Kit
Offered by Orange County Clocks
Price: $4.11
4 used & new from $4.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, good price, October 14, 2011
I used this to swap-out an unresponsive "radio-controlled atomic-accuracy" timepiece which died 6 months after purchasing a large corner Grandmother clock. $12 and 5min with this handy set promptly restored full functionality to a large and expensive piece of furniture...great bargain!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4