Profile for Arthur L. Warchol > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 35

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Arthur L. Warchol RSS Feed (Wylie, Texas)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Romantic Bridge Jigsaw Puzzle, 500-Piece
Romantic Bridge Jigsaw Puzzle, 500-Piece
Price: $10.01
33 used & new from $8.87

2.0 out of 5 stars Blurry Image Up Close, October 6, 2014
Pro: Pieces fit well together. If it's the right piece, it just plops in.

Con: The picture's resolution on the box is just so-so, but on the puzzle itself it's worse. It's as if they used the one on the box for the puzzle and just blew it up. It makes sense if you stand three feet away, but who does much jigsaw puzzle solving that way?

I've seen several pieces that showed absolutely no relationship to the one next to it, as if the cuts were made that way on purpose. Perhaps this is to make the puzzle more challenging. I find it manipulative and annoying.

One can only go so far using reason and deduction to find the next piece in the area in which you are working. After a while, you have to see what the shape of the piece you need should have, and then go one by one through all of them that can even remotely fit until you find the one that plops. Perhaps all commercial puzzles are designed accordingly. I suspect so.

Me? From now on, I've decided to use one of the online puzzle creators that allow you to upload your own hi-res image for transferring to the puzzle frame and piece amount you choose. More money, but a lot prettier picture. Even up close! LOL

Porcelain French Onion Soup Crock with Cover, Set of 4
Porcelain French Onion Soup Crock with Cover, Set of 4

5.0 out of 5 stars Restaurant Quality, May 16, 2014
Oven safe, sturdy construction, easily accommodates 12 oz. of liquid and still leaves room for bread and cheese.
They're worth it. :-))

Taylor Digital Oven Thermometer and Timer with  Stainless Faceplate
Taylor Digital Oven Thermometer and Timer with Stainless Faceplate
Offered by DTMdirect
Price: $19.99
5 used & new from $16.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Handy Little Kitchen Tool, April 4, 2014
Multi-function, F° or C°, probe lead that has no problem getting smooshed by an oven door, beeps when you arrive at the desired settings if function turned on, and seems pretty accurate.

Well, it's accurate if it has nice fresh batteries, that is. I deducted a star because it was giving me low readings when I tried to calibrate it, but snapped back into perky mode when I put new batteries in it. There was no low-battery indication, so one needs to baby sit it some. I'd suggest testing every three to six months depending on amount of use. I stuck mine's probe into boiling water and it read around 210-211, which ought to be pretty close, since I do not live at sea level.

I'd say that for the money this thing delivers pretty well....

BARSKA 65mm, 3x Magnifier Handheld/Table Stand with Light
BARSKA 65mm, 3x Magnifier Handheld/Table Stand with Light
Price: $18.24
13 used & new from $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good..., January 16, 2014
I just received this thing, so can't speak to the longevity of it, but it seems to be made well enough to last a while...

After I placed the order I saw the "inch wide" notation in the product description and feared I had made a mistake. Fortunately the 65mm spec is the correct size (or 2-9/16" viewing area).

Made in China.

Greenlee 9753-13C Bottle Opener, Cushion Grip
Greenlee 9753-13C Bottle Opener, Cushion Grip
Price: $10.62
4 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The Last Tool You Will Ever Need..., January 9, 2014
Well, last tool for that day, anyway. LOL

Seriously, it's a nice conversation piece, and the Greenlee name on it inspires respect. It's well designed, feels good in the hand, and apparently some thought went into the design of the tool. :-)

Definitely a handy tool to complement one's tool bag.

Swingline Long Reach Stapler with Built-in Ruler and Adjustable Locking Paper Guide, Black (S7034121P)
Price: $26.78
34 used & new from $17.81

4.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Duty, January 9, 2014
While I have yet to test its ability to penetrate lots of paper at once, I'm guessing that if you use the SF 4 staples you will be ok with this stapler.

I deducted one star because of a false claim, that being that the paper guide has a locking feature. The guide requires considerable effort to adjust it, but it is still moveable, even accidentally. I got around this problem by affixing a piece of masking tape to the underside of the stapler and marking where the retaining tabs sit for various lengths of paper sizes. I needed to do this anyway because of different size booklets that I create. Still, be advised that the unit does not have a locking feature as advertised. Otherwise I am happy with the makeup and construction of this stapler. :-)

My Five Wives
My Five Wives
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Rodney, January 8, 2014
It's Rodney. Good ol' self-effacing Rodney -- my favorite brand of humor, and a happy addition to my video library. :-)

Capresso 560.01 Infinity Burr Grinder, Black
Capresso 560.01 Infinity Burr Grinder, Black
Price: $79.71
16 used & new from $71.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Adequate and Consistent, January 4, 2014
A bit noisy perhaps, but then I'm no expert on coffee grinders. It _says_ "Commercial Grade" on the paper insert in the cone, but on the box it says "Household Use Only".

I can't speak to the longevity of the item, as I was asked to do this review after only a few weeks of ownership, but for now it seems adequate (though a bit plactic-y), and I can only hope that the "commercial" quality of the unit is in the internal components.

My personal guidelines as to amount of coffee and grind settings are as follows (your taste may differ, of course):

For a grind that resembles what you get when you order Auto Drip I have the black dot in the center (between medium and fine). To get consistent coffee on a day-by-day basis I use a kitchen scale and grind 2.7 oz. beans for 12 cups. If you want less than a full pot, 5 cups works out to be a bit more than 1.1 oz., etc. Now of course you could just grind up a bunch and then use measuring scoops for the amount you need and save the remainder for the next day, but then why invest the money in this apparatus? The whole point of buying whole bean is to have the benefit of freshly ground coffee, brewed instantly after grinding.

Bottom line: is it worth it? Depends on how much you like your coffee. There is no doubt that coffee freshly ground and immediately used has a quality that the pre-ground stuff will never be able to duplicate.

I for one am glad I bit the bullet and got this bad boy. :-)

C2G / Cables to Go 13423 Serial ATA to External Serial ATA Dual Port Adapter (Nickel)
Price: $14.99
22 used & new from $11.02

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, December 14, 2013
I got two of these to replace some I had purchased previously, the StarTech 2 Port SATA to eSATA Slot Plate Bracket (ESATAPLATE2) . The StarTech ones could not grip the eSATA connectors worth a flip and they ended up in the Recycle Bin. My thinking was that C2G always charged more but they were worth it, seeing that they always went first class with their products.

Not this time.

One of the two connectors seems to grip the cable connector a little better than its brother, but both are dicey. On the other end of the cables are some WD external drives that have connectors that grip so tightly one has to really tug to get one to pull loose, so I know the technology exists out there somewhere.

I have my eSATA cables tie-wrapped to the monitor cable to give them greater support, but I have to hold my mouth just right when pushing the desktop case back under the desk, or there is a good chance Windows will neglect to start and freeze up at the splash screen, or one of the drives won't appear in Computer once the OS finally starts.

Shame shame, C2G. You dropped the ball with these jobbies. (sigh)

Norpro 607 Extra Wide Plastic Funnel, Green
Norpro 607 Extra Wide Plastic Funnel, Green
Price: $4.64
25 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy Flimsy (as Gomer Pyle might say...), December 14, 2013
This plastic is thin, feels weak, and the rough edges caused by the molding process weren't even smoothed prior to leaving the factory.

It's billed as a canning funnel but it's not even dishwasher rated. Imagine pouring boiling sugar syrup through it, which (as someone on the 'net once commented) if you get some on your skin it will be the worst burn of your life.

I'll keep mine for dry use only, but for a real canning funnel I have my eye on this bad boy:
B003FIONES