Profile for Derek B. Norton > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Derek B. Norton RSS Feed (Lehi, UT USA)

Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone (AT&T)
Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone (AT&T)
Price: $50.45
101 used & new from $21.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome phone for a great price and it works great on straight talk, December 21, 2013
If you want a lumia 520 to use on straight talk get this one. The international one works but only on GSM and EDGE cellular networks. This one works with 3G and 4G and is cheaper than the international one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2014 10:55 AM PST

Nokia Lumia 520 8GB Unlocked GSM Windows 8 OS Cell Phone - Yellow
Nokia Lumia 520 8GB Unlocked GSM Windows 8 OS Cell Phone - Yellow
Offered by BREED
Price: $89.99
6 used & new from $54.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Nokia Lumia 520 is an awesome phone but make sure you get the right one., December 21, 2013
My wife and I bought the international version because it said that it was unlocked. We thought that meant it was the right one to get if you want to use straight talk for your cell phone service in the US. It does work but you can only get GSM or EDGE cellular service NOT 3G or 4G. So if you are in the US and you want to use a Nokia Lumia 520 with the straight talk plan get the Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone (AT&T) which is also sold here on Amazon.com. That one will let you use the 3G and 4G service that straight talk has. With that phone we are now able to get 4G and it is way better than being stuck with only EDGE service.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2014 7:38 PM PDT

TaoTronics TT-BA01 Wireless Portable Bluetooth Stereo Music Transmitter (Not A Bluetooth Receiver) for 3.5mm Audio Devices (iPod, MP3/MP4, TV, Kindle Fire, Media Playersˇ­)
Offered by Sunvalleytek
Price: $28.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Could not get this to work (updated), November 16, 2013
Could not get this to work with the Sangean America, Inc. H-202 Shower Radio with Bluetooth, but my Bluetooth phone works with the Sangean America, Inc. H-202 Shower Radio with Bluetooth just fine. Going to send this back.

Thanks Sunvalleytekservice for responding. I was able to get it working by following the instructions in your reply. Had the instructions that came with the device included the addition you supplied "(you will see the blue light flash only first, but do not release the button yet)". We would never have had a problem with it. We had assumed that "long press MFB for 5 seconds till red and blue light flash alternately" meant press the button for 5 seconds until the light flashes red and blue alternately, then release. With the clearer instructions in your reply we got it working the first time and will be keeping it. Great pro-active customer service and a great product! Just add that extra sentence to the instructions that come with it and the product is perfect. Since the product is working as we had hoped and your customer service was so great I've changed this to a 5 start rating. Thanks!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 17, 2013 11:05 PM PST

Kindle Touch, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers
15 used & new from $57.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Landscape Mode Missing, January 18, 2012
I like the kindle touch but I was VERY disappointed to discover that the kindle touch is the only kindle that does not have a landscape mode. The main reason I wanted an e-reader was so that I could keep a library of programming books all on my kindle. Not having a landscape mode causes code snippets in the text to have extra carriage returns in them making the code much more difficult to read. It would help a lot to be able to switch to landscape mode. I searched amazon help and was irked to discover that if I had bought the cheaper (non-touch) kindle I would have been able to switch to landscape mode. Hopefully amazon will realease a software update to provide this missing feature soon.

DVI Gear HDMI Cable 2M 6 feet
DVI Gear HDMI Cable 2M 6 feet
Offered by Security Sannce
Price: $3.36
98 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality, November 19, 2011
I figured these were cheap enough to give them a shot, but it turns out they are not worth the money. I bought 4 to connect my laptop to my tv and 2 of them don't work at all and the other 2 work but have horrible quality. When I use the HDMI cable I got with my xbox it works fine but when I use one of these the sound is grainy, the picture is grainy and choppy. They are completely unusable for what I bought them for.

Dynamic Prototyping with SketchFlow in Expression Blend: Sketch Your Ideas...And Bring Them to Life!
by Chris Bernard
49 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good book but sometimes frustrating working through the examples, April 21, 2011
I really wanted to give this book a 5 star rating because it really helped me become comfortable using SketchFlow. But, as other reviewers have mentioned it is sometimes difficult to follow the examples because the steps are unclear, or the resources are difficult to find. The addendum on their website fixes most of these issues but not all. I was still able to figure out all of the examples thanks to the finished projects that you can download from the books website, but the frustration encountered when trying to follow some of the examples is why I grudgingly gave this a 4 rather than a 5.

Also, I used Expression Studio 4 and I was very happy to discover that they provide all of the projects for the book for both version 3 and version 4 of expression studio.

Developer's perspective: I am a developer and have no formal education or experience with design. I got interested in SketchFlow because I needed a good way to prototype my projects and we do not have a designer where I work so the design of my projects also falls to me. The first 3 chapters are geared towards design in general and they talk alot about things that you would probably have learned if you went to a school of design. While I found these chapters to be very boring there was some useful information regarding how to go about designing a solution and the stages that a prototype will go through. Apart from that this book is completely accessible to developers who sometimes get thrust into design and prototyping and need to learn a good tool for that purpose.

If you need a book that focuses on SketchFlow do not be afraid to get this book. Though there are still a few places where the examples are hard to follow you can work through these, and the book does an excellent job of getting you up to speed using SketchFlow.

Shower Sound Wireless Music Transmitter/speaker system
Shower Sound Wireless Music Transmitter/speaker system

1.0 out of 5 stars Keep Looking, April 19, 2008
We bought this to use for our MP3 players while listening to books. Unfortunately this product did not work at our house. We could use it if the transmitter was directly next to the speaker, but it wouldn't work even if it were right outside the shower door. There was far too much static to hear anything not to mention the speaker did not play very loud. I would certainly recommend you to keep looking. There has to be a better product out there.

Debugging Strategies For .NET Developers
Debugging Strategies For .NET Developers
by Darin Dillon
Price: $27.46
53 used & new from $2.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for debugging in .NET, June 13, 2005
I just finished reading this book and it was so good that I figured I finally had to write a review, which I have often thought of doing for other books but never actually done. This book is full of great debugging techniques and strategies, many of which I was familiar with but just as many which I had not encountered before. The author uses an engaging style of writing making use of real-life examples from his own career that are both interesting and relevant to the technique he is describing. I found the author to be very knowledgeable and very good at communicating that knowledge.