ARRAY(0x9ee1df60)

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

C. Mitchum RSS Feed (Oklahoma)

Page: 1 | 2
MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6 Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones with Memory Wire (Clear)
Price: $21.93
14 used & new from $17.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great budget buds, June 19, 2011
I bought these headphones at the suggestion of a couple forums pointing them out. For $20 I figured I couldn't lose.

They replaced a +$100 pair that recently started buzzing in the left ear and then completely went out. I'm very happy with the purchase too.

The best part about these headphones is the fit. They fit snugly into the ear (and come with MANY attachements to facilitate this, including wondrous triple flange attachments). This means they seal out sound very efficiently. I have a nice set of over-ear head phones that I use for serious listening inside but I use these when I mow the yard or am working outside and I don't even have to turn the volume all the way up on my Zune to hear them loud and clear over my lawnmower. Also the memory wire going over the ear makes them VERY stable. I've pulled hard on the cable accidentally a couple times and they didn't budge.
They're also great for listening in bed. The bud fits completely within the plane of the ear, meaning when you lay down or put a hand against your ear they don't get pushed in further or become uncomfortable. I bought them for my dad for this reason.

The sound quality is good. The bass is a tad heavy for me and the vocals on many tracks can get drowned out. They lack the depth of good over-ear headphones but have a surprisingly good overall sound that is not displeasing in anyway, though it may not wow either. For $20 the sound is incredible.

I highly recommend these headphones as outdoor/casual use or everyday use for those who don't care to have the best sound quality.

Common Sons: Common Threads in the Life
Common Sons: Common Threads in the Life
by Ronald L. Donaghe
Price: $16.89
55 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good., June 19, 2011
I bought this book thinking it might be a serious entry to the list of effusively sappy gay themed novels out there. I'll be honest and say that I haven't ready any but this one all the way through, but the few that I've picked up were so unrealistic and shallow that I never cared to finish them.

This book, however, was... good enough.

The characters are fairly well developed. They have histories and personalities. There are side stories that all tie together in the end. The writing is by no means engrossing or overly poetic (though Donaghe can sometimes stun with some beautiful turn of phrase) but it's passable and good for storytelling. The pace is actually quite good, though a little unrealistic.

My qualms are not really with the writing style but with the story itself. Tom and Joel become too close too quickly. They are too sure of themselves. It's all much to fairytale-esque to be honest.

HOWEVER; I did enjoy the book very much. Donaghe occasionally whipped up enough emotion to bring a knot to my throat even if he couldn't manage real tears. It's a good book and was certainly worth the read. I won't be reading the rest of the series. I feel it would cheapen the experience of this book for me.

In summation; I would suggest this book to people who are interested in gay themed literature. Someone who grew up in rural conditions dealing with homosexuality themselves will probably find a lot more value in this book than say someone who grew up in an accepting urban area as a homosexual or a heterosexual. The point of the book is not so much to tell a beautiful love story in flawless prose as it is to distill the emotions and experience of growing up gay in a small town. At this, the book succeeds.

Towing Jehovah (Harvest Book)
Towing Jehovah (Harvest Book)
by James Morrow
Price: $11.69
183 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Story, May 27, 2010
This book feels almost satirical in some places. It is told in very serious, no compromise prose. This is not a tongue in cheek introspection of what if's, it is a serious novel that just happens to be based on a completely ridiculous premise.

If you're expecting comedy it's not really there. The story deals with parental relationships, destroyed careers, and succumbing to the most basic of human instincts.

Overall it's a captivating story that will keep you interested throughout. The ending is odd and leaves a bit to be desired for me personally but definitely worth the purchase.

Fisher Space Pen Bullet Chrome Finish, Gift Boxed (400)
Fisher Space Pen Bullet Chrome Finish, Gift Boxed (400)
Price: $16.17
76 used & new from $14.25

5.0 out of 5 stars The only pen I use, May 27, 2010
Bought this a few months ago. I haven't used another pen since. And I'm nowhere near running out of ink either. I don't think I'll ever need another pen.

Skagen Men's 233LTTM Titanium Mesh Watch
Skagen Men's 233LTTM Titanium Mesh Watch
Offered by Jomashop
Price: $64.40
15 used & new from $60.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing watch, May 27, 2010
I've never consistently worn a watch. I've owned Relics and Fossils like everyone else, and they were OK. Large leather bands are uncomfortable and make my wrist sweat, clunky metal ones catch in my arm hair... This mesh band is the perfect solution. It's comfortable in every way. The clasp has never come loose as some other reviews have mentioned. Nor has the crystal cracked or scratch at all. It looks exactly like the day I bought it. Also, the time hasn't deviated a second from when I first set it. With my other watches I was always checking my cell phone to make sure they were right, which basically defeats the purpose of wearing a watch in the first place.
Stylish, dressy, casual, comfortable. The perfect watch.

Authentic Pigment Cotton Canvas Strap Bag. 1908
Authentic Pigment Cotton Canvas Strap Bag. 1908
Price: $16.50 - $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Student Bag, May 27, 2010
I bought this in the hopes that I could use it to carry around textbooks along with a laptop and my instrument (flute) around campus. It's a great size. Roomy with lots of space for extras (in addition to the already mentioned objects I have my moleskine, glasses, water battle, iPod, and over-ear headphones in it comfortably.
Looks great, magnetic clasps are excellent, shoulder strap is easily adjustable and STAYS.
Very satisfied.

The Lost Symbol: Featuring Robert Langdon
The Lost Symbol: Featuring Robert Langdon
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $7.68

3.0 out of 5 stars Would have been better than DVC. If it had come first., September 21, 2009
I'm surprised by all the negative review this book is getting.

If you've read The Da Vinci code and liked it you'd probably like this. The story is pretty much the same, just a few different names and such. Dan Brown is definitely consistent. The characters are simply to static to become too interesting. I have to say I was definitely more into The Da Vinci code.

To be fair, if you haven't read The Da Vinci code you'll probably love it, because you'll see it with fresh eyes. You could say the same thing about DVC for those who have read Angels & Demons.

Overall it's an excellent story, but that's about it. Nothing totally revolutionary, though I really love the way he ends it. It's not overtly grandiose or surprising. It's a very serene ending that leaves you feeling peaceful rather than confused.

The Host: A Novel
The Host: A Novel
by Stephenie Meyer
Price: $25.99
1317 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent. If there were fewer 14 year old girls it would have done better than Twilight..., July 9, 2009
This review is from: The Host: A Novel (Hardcover)
I was nervous about getting this book. I've read Meyer's Twilight series (hasn't everyone?) and while I found them entertaining, I didn't find them particularly creative or of very much literary value. Obviously..

However, I was surprised by this book.

While it won't be going down in history as 'great literature' it is an excellent novel for entertainment. The way Meyer shapes the characters is very interesting. They are dynamic and believable while being eccentric enough to keep your interest. Meyer's mastery of internal dialogue plays a huge role in making this book fun.

The story is well crafted, not overly complicated, and allows the reader to do just that: read. No research required. Everything is presented up front so little thinking has to be done. Some may view this as a bad thing but sometimes, we just want a book to get into and not have to think about.

I suggest this book for fans of Twilight because of the writing style. I also suggest it for anyone looking for something to read on a long plane ride because it will keep you busy.

The Strain: Book One of The Strain Trilogy
The Strain: Book One of The Strain Trilogy
by Chuck Hogan
Price: $21.44
328 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A good thriller. That's about all, July 9, 2009
I heard about this book on Charlie Rose where Del Toro did an interview talking about his films but mostly focusing on his inspiration for this book. I expected it to be an exciting story with a few twists to make things interesting but wasn't sure about a film buff doing a book. I gave it a shot though.

The book starts out great. The beginning captures your interest enough to keep you going which is hard to find.

But the beginning isn't the problem. It's that middle bit where you run into trouble.

When the action begins it's exciting and freaky. He keeps you on the edge of your seat waiting for the next thing to happen.
However, you can only sit on the edge of a chair for so long before your butt goes numb, and mine did, about halfway through the book.
The action doesn't change throughout the entire story. Basically it's calm and quiet. A character walks around a dark house looking for their wife/mother/kids. Weird sounds. Vampire appears. Sucks blood. Plot line shifts to next character. Repeat. There isn't much variation. After a while the constant gore becomes monotonous. As I said there are some good cliffhangers here but the only reason is because there are five or six simultaneous stories which the author cycles through throughout the book.

For those of you who like thrillers this is perhaps a good book (my first venture into the genre). I will most likely not be purchasing the sequels. I will however keep my fingers crossed for a movie version, as I believe that all this action would look much better on the silver screen than it does on the screen of my Kindle.

Canon Pixma MX300 Office All-On-One Inkjet Printer (2182B002)
Canon Pixma MX300 Office All-On-One Inkjet Printer (2182B002)
11 used & new from $59.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible..., February 1, 2009
If you own a Mac DO NOT BUY THIS!

Canon does not support Mac well at all. It's practically impossible to print over Airport no matter which driver you use, it's really a game of chance. Scanning is even more temperamental.
Printing was not of high quality.
It takes DAYS to turn on and off. Absolutely annoying when you're waiting to print something. Especially when you're having to cycle it on and off to get it to work.

HUGE compatibility problems with Mac. Get a good printer that works with Mac so you can enjoy your computer instead of having to deal with this nightmare....

Page: 1 | 2