Profile for W. Luckey > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

W. Luckey "healthcare analyst" RSS Feed (Kennewick, Washington United States)

Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients
Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients
by The Editors of Whole Living Magazine
Price: $16.97
166 used & new from $3.03

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the last cookbooks you'll ever need, January 5, 2011
This comes from the publishers of Whole Living magazine, part of the Marth Stewart empire. The magazine focuses on holistic (wholistic) living that seeks to improve the physical, emotional, spiritual, social and environmental imbalances in our lives. In practical terms, this means yoga, stress reduction, healthy eating, spiritual tranquility....you get the idea. Although I don't buy into all of this, we could all stand for more of it. This cookbook focuses on the healthy eating part. It contains beautiful pictures, straightforward recipes(not too many ingredients that are not too difficult to obtain) and some practical advice. Expect recipes with beets, salmon, nuts, eggs, healthy grains (e.g., quinoa) and more. I enjoy cooking and have a bookshelf of cookbooks, including Martha's two previous cookbooks. This book has the healthiest recipes of the group, but all her books have great recipes. There are few things put out by Martha Stewart living that aren't well conceived (no, I'm not a paid spokesperson).

There is an arm of nutrition research that is headed in the direction of this type of cooking: limiting wheat (gluten), limited saturated fat (no or minimal dairy, beef, pork or even fowl), low salt and sugar, incorporating healthy oils (nuts, olive oil), minimal processing, etc. Much of this is vegan cooking. Say goodbye to the Heart Attack Grill. If you have Celiac's disease, many of the recipes will suit you. This would also be good for people who have genetically related inflammatory-type diseases (e.g., Crohn's, ulcerative colitis, arthritis, diabetes, etc.). Anecdotally, this type of diet has also been used with autistic children with some success.

Want to live to be 137? This is a great introduction into this type of cooking. If you are looking for a start into a truly healthy lifestyle, I recommend this text.

Bionaire BH3699-UM Silent Micathermic Flat-Panel Radiator Heater
Bionaire BH3699-UM Silent Micathermic Flat-Panel Radiator Heater

5.0 out of 5 stars Tremendous Space Heater, October 21, 2008
This amazing space heater does a great job for heating a room. I too got it at Costco for around $54.00. It heats up quicker than an oil-filled portable unit and is virtually silent. I stuck it in an 9'x9' room, turned it on the low-setting, and turned thermostat down to about one-third (relatively speaking). With the door closed, the room was sweltering warm. I could only imagine what this little unit would do on high. Another nice characteristic is that it is relatively flat, so it can be put right next to a wall, minimizing the amount of real-estate you have to give up. I've already gone out and bought two more: one for work and another for my mom's house. I definitely like this unit better than the small convection-type heaters that are ubiquitous. Although I'm still breaking it in, I highly recommend this heater.

Process Redesign: The Implementation Guide for Managers
Process Redesign: The Implementation Guide for Managers
by Arthur R. Tenner
57 used & new from $2.30

5.0 out of 5 stars The best entry level book on the subject, July 27, 2004
A few years back, I developed a jones over process improvement. I went to a few national book retailers and a large respected university bookstore and researched Amazon to examine different texts on the subject. When I came accross this text, I was immediately taken by its clear descriptions and practical advice. It supplements the specific topics with useful tables and workplans. There exists more thorough texts on most of the topics. For example, volumes have been written about reengineering or continuous improvement. However, the vast majority of people looking for guidance will find more than enough information here. Another nice thing is that the authors don't waste time trying to persuade the reader, as some other books do, that these topics are important. They simply and clearly describe the subject at hand and show how to implement. The brevity, clear descriptions, and inclusion of only the most relavent information make this book a must-have for anyone who is concerned with process improvement.

By Your Side
By Your Side
Price: $3.99
53 used & new from $0.04

5.0 out of 5 stars If this doesn't move you, see a doctor!, March 26, 2004
This review is from: By Your Side (Audio CD)
I'm a stuffed shirt who sits behind a desk plugging numbers into a computer. Yeah, it's a fun life. But I do like my music. And this is one CD that gets me rockin' in my chair to the point that I'm singing out loud. So much for employee relations.
I've seen this group twice in concert. Once about ten years ago and then again within the last two years. The group has definitely evolved to become more polished, although some would say "commercial." Frankly, I didn't enjoy the latter concert experience. In any case, this album still shows that the band is rooted in southern gospel and blues, with a heavy steroid dose of rock. More than this, the harmonies, the musicianship, and most importantly, the sheer energy make this a great album.
Get it!

Lateralus
Lateralus
Price: $11.99
80 used & new from $3.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good but not great, May 21, 2001
This review is from: Lateralus (Audio CD)
Relative to most other groups/bands, this album most likely rates a five. However, when you compare it to Tool's previous work, it rates only a four. Undertow is fantastic, spawning some of the most unique and influential music videos to date. As one previous reviewer has characterized Tool, the music draws you in and takes you over.
In some ways this album reminds me of Stabbing Westward's first album, Ungod. Also a great album, Ungod has serene moments of quiet juxtaposed to hair-raising, heartfelt screeming. Lateralus has this too, although there also seems to be a lot of unnecessary screeming. A little of this can go a long way, and a good band does good not to overdo it. To be honest, I have listened to the album only oncer. However, my immediate take is that alot of the work sort-of sounds the same, without any major departures.
Aenima was a revelation and most definitely on my short list of all-time great albums from any genre. Listening to Tool's current progression, their zenith may have passed. It's sad to think that Tool may go the way of Pink Floyd, turning into a bunch of touring old farts. At least we have what we have.

Managing Data With Excel (Business Computer Library)
Managing Data With Excel (Business Computer Library)
by Conrad Carlberg
11 used & new from $0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable Analytical Resource, May 3, 2000
As a health care analyst, I do lots of research using Excel. I stumbled across this text at a discount book sale and have used it constantly since then as a resource. A large portion of the book deals with pivot tables, one of the truly powerful Excel functions. But it covers much more than just this. Several of my MBA friends have browsed through the book and lamented they did not have this resource when they were in B-school. It's unfortunate that it is out of print.