ACDelco Radiators & Heating Components Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Watches Cloud Drive Photos nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson belkin Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer wdftv wdftv wdftv  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Profile for Rosemary Thornton > Reviews

Rosemary Thornton's Profile

Customer Reviews: 451

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rosemary Thornton "Niece of Murder Victim, Addie Hoyt Fargo" RSS Feed (Norfolk, VA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Le Creuset Heritage Stoneware 8" Square  Dish, Flame
Le Creuset Heritage Stoneware 8" Square Dish, Flame
Price: $39.95
5 used & new from $39.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Be forewarned - the dimensions posted here are WRONG!!!, June 19, 2015
After a long search, I was delighted to find this 8-inch casserole dish for my cooking needs. It looked well made and the dimensions were perfect - eight inches square and a full five inches deep!! That's just what I needed!!

The item arrived and I was crestfallen to find that it was just over two inches deep!

It looks well made, but I'm very disappointed that the dimensions are wrong here. I've now returned the item. I contacted Amazon to tell them the description given on the produce page is in error, but was told they can't alter that until two orders have been placed. Weird.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Pepsi True, 7.5 Fluid Ounce Mini Cans, 24 Count
Pepsi True, 7.5 Fluid Ounce Mini Cans, 24 Count

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - Delicious Pepsi without all the calories!, May 7, 2015
I don't know what to think about all these one-star reviews. I'm a pretty critical customer and I love this stuff. I'm striving to stay away from aspartame and also trying to decrease my sugar intake, and this Pepsi True fills the bill on all fronts.

The taste is excellent, and almost indisintguisable from traditional Pepsi.

For $10, it's worth a gamble, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm on my 4th case, and I love it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 11, 2015 1:26 PM PDT

Ohuhu® 75 Ft Expandable Garden Hose with Brass Connector & Spray Nozzle [Bundle]
Offered by Ohuhu Direct
Price: $44.99
4 used & new from $39.37

1.0 out of 5 stars See Update! Manufacturer sent a free replacement!, May 7, 2015
As others have said, it's pretty much junk. Like others, I was tired of lugging around the old traditional hoses to water the veggie garden, so I invested some money in this "quality" product. Within 15 minutes of use, it started spraying water in all the wrong places. I took a closer look and found a significant hole in the blue tubing that's underneath the green outer cover.

The hole is within 1/2" of the male fitting, and this seems to be a common place for failure.

UPDATE: I returned the hose and the manufacturer contacted me and offered to send a replacement - at no cost. So I now have a NEW 75-foot hose at no cost. (Original purchase was refunded.) I'm pleased and will try this product one more time.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm pleasantly surprised by the free replacement. That's good business.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 8, 2015 12:30 AM PDT

Moen 84550 Double Handle Centerset Bathroom Faucet from the Darcy Collection (Va, Spot Resist Brushed Nickel
Offered by Wholesale Fulfillment AZ
Price: $115.99
3 used & new from $115.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a winner! Both pretty and practical!, December 30, 2014
Purchased this recently for my little bathroom (off the master bedroom), to go with a new vanity. The new vanity isn't the fanciest thing in town, but this particular faucet really made it snazzy! It does ratchet up the whole sink/vanity from pedestrian to elegant!

It has the water-restricters built into the aerator, but that's easily fixed (wink, wink).

If you google this model, you'll find that one recurrent issue is the plunger for the pop-up drain assembly. The rod (that is inserted behind the spigot) is bent, and it hangs up on the backsplash for the vanity. That was a problem in our installation, and apparently, it's a problem on EVERYONE's installation.

Other than that, this particular faucet is first rate all the way. Very elegant design and looks sharp.

Espana 4 in. 1-Handle Mid Arc Bathroom Faucet in Estate Bronze
Espana 4 in. 1-Handle Mid Arc Bathroom Faucet in Estate Bronze
Offered by Newtoolsforyou
Price: $69.00
3 used & new from $60.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Pure junk! Spare yourself some misery and STEER CLEAR!, December 30, 2014
Bought a shiny new vanity for my little bathroom (off the bedroom) and after much ruminating on the type of faucet I needed/wanted, I selected this faucet. I was confident in my choice because it is - after all - American Standard, a well-known name in plumbing fixtures for more than 100 years. And it was a pricey little affair.

After it was all hooked up and the cabinet cleaned up, I saw a puddle of water inside my new vanity! I stood on my head and leaned into the cabinet and found that this piece of junk was leaking INSIDE the faucet, and the water was dribbling down the cold-water supply line.

What a hassle to pull it all out and return the thing. Right then, I decided I wanted a different brand name. When I talked to a buddy who works at a big box hardware store (in the plumbing department), he said, "Oh gosh, if you'd have asked me, I would have told you to stay away from that model. It's the MOST FREQUENTLY RETURNED faucet that we sell."

In fact, he said to stay away from American Standard, because they are NOT the company they once were.

No kidding.

Came home with Moen and it works beautifully.

If you google this particular model, you'll find that it has dozens (if not hundreds) of negative reviews due to this internal leak problem, and if you call the manufacturer, they'll send you a KIT for repairing it! This is a known defect, and yet it's still being sold.

For $100 faucet, I expect much better.

Garden Gnome Holding Bird
Garden Gnome Holding Bird
Price: $19.99
9 used & new from $17.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Gnome Sayin?, December 29, 2014
Because my husband bears a stunning resemblance to this little fellow, I purchased it as a Christmas gift and then did some personalization. It took the paint well, and when done, became the hit of the internet. It really is a cute little item and sturdy too!

Highly recommend, even if your loved one doesn't look like Mr. Gnome!

UGG Women's Classic Shearling Wired Earmuff Chestnut Size One Size
UGG Women's Classic Shearling Wired Earmuff Chestnut Size One Size
Offered by What's Hot
Price: $74.95
9 used & new from $74.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh my goodness - where have you been all my life!!!!, December 21, 2014
Right up there with sliced bread and indoor plumbing, this has got to be one of the great inventions of mankind. They're fluffly little happy ear muffs, that double as headphones!

My ears don't like the wind, and sometimes I have ensuing problems with the cold wind gets inside the ear and causes lingering discomfort. And so I had to give up my evening constitutional when the temps dropped low and/or the wind picked up.

Recently, I discovered these UGG Women's "Wired Earmuffs" and I must say, they're wonderful. Now I can take that evening walk *and* enjoy the music on my iPod! They're also darn cute, and the fake shearling is actually pretty comfy on my tender ears.

That's the good stuff. Here's the not-so-good news.

These puppies run mighty small. That said, I do have one of the largest heads of any human on this earth (sans horrid disease), and finding things to fit over my head is a perennial problem. All kidding aside, I wear an "XL" in men's hats (and I'm a girl). These earmuffs come in one size, and one size only, which was a disappointment. There is no built-in adjustment in the head band (also disappointing).

As to sound quality, the tone is pretty tinny and lacks bass, but it's comparable with low-priced earphones. It's not great, but it's not terrible, either. Just not as good as my Sony headphones, but I guess that's to be expected.

All-in-all, I'd buy them again. And did I mention they're cute? :)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 7, 2015 5:14 PM PST

Abandoned Parents:  The Devil's Dilemma: The Causes and Consequences of Adult Children Abandoning Their Parents
Abandoned Parents: The Devil's Dilemma: The Causes and Consequences of Adult Children Abandoning Their Parents
by Sharon A. Wildey
Price: $8.14
34 used & new from $6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars This is THE book to read when your heart is breaking under the weight of an estranged adult child., September 14, 2014
It's a silent, secret epidemic. We keep our mouths shut. We don't tell anyone. Because when we DO tell someone, the first assumption is, "Geez, what did you do to that kid that was so bad that they carved you out of their life?"

There's a presumption that the parent MUST have done something awful to merit shunning by an adult child.

So we don't tell another soul. Our closest friends have no idea. Sometimes, we make up stories about the grandchildren we never see. Or, we tell people there that we have *no* grandchildren, because that's the easier path, and in some cases, much closer to the wretched truth.

Our numbers are legion. This is a nationwide epidemic of narcissitic young people who feel free to abandon and shun their parents. I have posted a few comments at other places, and had to delete them later, because the comments got "picked up" by a couple young people who decided this was a good place to explain why parents SHOULD be dumped.

That's NOT what this issue is about. It's about parents who did their very best, and even an above-average job and yet when the children hit their adulthood (typically in late 20s), those parents were shunned by these ungrateful, self-serving, narcissistic, self-absorbed adult children.

I read way too much, and I've read a half dozen books on this topic. Most, I would rate "Marginal to Poor." And most of these books address a broad range of topics, such as rebellious teens, drug addiction, mental illness, etc. This book ("Abandoned Parents") goes to the heart of the issue and is devoted to the problem of adult children who abandon their parents. And, unlike some of the other books I've read, it bluntly explains that abandonment is ABUSE.

The author writes, "Parental abandonment is abuse, and it follows the model of other kinds of of psychological abuse. Most importantly, it is a moral and ethical failing on the part of the adult child."

That single sentence helped lift a lead weight of despair and self-condemnation off my heart. It took away so much of my pain.

Those OTHER books mentioned above have some variation on this theme: "Well, there's some guilt on both sides of any failed relationship."

Yes, except in relationships where there's abuse. As Ms. Wildey says, "Parental abandonment is abuse..."

I know too many parents who have walked around on their knees, begging and pleading with the adult child for forgiveness. (Good "Christian children, mind you, who were raised in the church). I personally know of many cases where these loving parents have written emails and letters, begging the child to forgive them for whatever mysterious offense they committed, offering to do whatever on this earth needs to be done to restore the relationship. These parents grovel, beg, cajole and plead, freely offering apologies and seeking forgiveness for phantom mistakes.

And in time, months, years or decades, you reach the point where you either need to back away or go insane.

As Ms. Wildey writes, "There is no crueler action to take against another human being than ostracism, abandonment and alienation and especially when that other human being is your parent."

That's the heart and soul of it.

There IS no crueler action you can take against your own mother than abandonment. And the pain increases exponentially when there are grandchildren involved.

This book is phenomenal and I highly recommend it. It brought me much peace, and this is after years of suffering the most unimaginable pain and sadness.

The author also writes about the difference between estrangement and abandonment. She says, "Abandonment is characterized by hurtful comments, physical or mental hatefulness, where the intent of the adult child is to be cruel, to scapegoat, or to banish. It is usually fueled by a core belief that the parents are guilty of a variety of shortcomings and that a future relationship of any kind would be harmful to the adult child. This core belief is held in absolute firmness almost approaching religious fervor in its impenetrability."

And another sentence that brought me much peace:

"Although it is hard to imagine how an adult child manages to justify not seeing her parents for years, ignoring all attempts and pleas from the parents to just see them one more time before they die, it is NOT uncommon for the adult children who abandon their parents to lie, fabricate abuse stories, libel and slander their upbringing without so much as a blink."

This is a simple book and a quick read, but it is a gem.

If you have a child that has abandoned you, do yourself a great kindness and buy this book. It is a healing balm for our broken hearts.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2014 10:53 AM PST

The Second Civil War
The Second Civil War
DVD ~ James Coburn
Offered by Media Favorites
Price: $14.99
10 used & new from $3.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Is it a "movie" or is it our current news stories?, July 17, 2014
This review is from: The Second Civil War (DVD)
Today's headlines are dominated with stories of immigrant children pouring over the borders and being placed in cities throughout our land.

Which is just how this movie starts: Illegal aliens streaming across our borders in great numbers, and being placed in cities throughout the country.

In the movie, the state of Idaho is the first to respond to this influx of illegals by closing the borders. It escalates (as these things often do), and Montana and North Dakota governors send their national guard to support Idaho. Shots are fired and it is the news that first announces, "This is America's Second Civil War."

The fact that this movie is a "comedy" at first turned me off, but as other reviewers said, it may start out "funny," but quickly becomes utterly chilling.

And the fact that it matches our headlines today - as I write this - makes it ever more disturbing.

As the movie depicts, with Americans so fed up and disgusted with every facet and feature of the our political system, it may only take a spark to ignite the fire.

Scary stuff, but this movie is quite well done. And utterly terrifying.

Lustron: The House America's Been Waiting For
Lustron: The House America's Been Waiting For
2 used & new from $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! It's a documentary, but it's as good as any movie I've seen in the last two years., April 30, 2014
I love old houses, and in fact, I love them so much, I write about them for a living.

And Lustron Homes were a real one-of-a-kind innovation, championed by a real one-of-a-kind American hero and entrepreneur, Carl Strandland. I've been researching Lustrons for years (and have read THE book too), but I've never seen as many rare, high-quality photos and films as I saw in this wonderful documentary.

Lustron Homes were made of 20-gage steel, with a porcelain enamel coating (just like a high dollar washing machine), and they were designed to be maintenance-free homes. Surprisingly, 50+ years later, that bold claim has proven true.

There were about 2,500 Lustrons sold in this country and the largest collection was (sadly, WAS) Quantico, Virginia which had 60 Lustrons but they were torn down a few years ago (which is horrific). Why they were not salvaged is a real mystery.

The end of this documentary was almost too horrible to watch. It was dirty, low-down politics that destroyed Lustron, effected by the slimiest, dirtiest creature America has ever produced: money-loving, corrupt politicians and their ilk. Strandlund lost his funding and had to close a plant and an amazing enterprise that he'd spent $50 million creating.

A few years later, Strandlund died a broken man, the light gone from his eyes, and the hope quashed in his heart. Those who knew him said he was never the same again.

The politicians who had conspired to kill Lustron and destroy Strandlund were eventurally indicted and a few ended up in jail. But it was too little too late. American politics had driven a wooden stake through the heart of Strandlund's brilliant dream: "Lustron."

If you love old houses, you'll want to watch Lustron again and again. You might want to skip the ending though on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th viewings. If you're like me, it'll set your hair on fire.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20