Profile for Rosemary Thornton > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 443

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rosemary Thornton "Niece of Murder Victim, Addie Hoyt Fargo" RSS Feed (Norfolk, VA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lustron: The House America's Been Waiting For
Lustron: The House America's Been Waiting For
3 used & new from $17.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! It's a documentary, but it's as good as any movie I've seen in the last two years., April 30, 2014
I love old houses, and in fact, I love them so much, I write about them for a living.

And Lustron Homes were a real one-of-a-kind innovation, championed by a real one-of-a-kind American hero and entrepreneur, Carl Strandland. I've been researching Lustrons for years (and have read THE book too), but I've never seen as many rare, high-quality photos and films as I saw in this wonderful documentary.

Lustron Homes were made of 20-gage steel, with a porcelain enamel coating (just like a high dollar washing machine), and they were designed to be maintenance-free homes. Surprisingly, 50+ years later, that bold claim has proven true.

There were about 2,500 Lustrons sold in this country and the largest collection was (sadly, WAS) Quantico, Virginia which had 60 Lustrons but they were torn down a few years ago (which is horrific). Why they were not salvaged is a real mystery.

The end of this documentary was almost too horrible to watch. It was dirty, low-down politics that destroyed Lustron, effected by the slimiest, dirtiest creature America has ever produced: money-loving, corrupt politicians and their ilk. Strandlund lost his funding and had to close a plant and an amazing enterprise that he'd spent $50 million creating.

A few years later, Strandlund died a broken man, the light gone from his eyes, and the hope quashed in his heart. Those who knew him said he was never the same again.

The politicians who had conspired to kill Lustron and destroy Strandlund were eventurally indicted and a few ended up in jail. But it was too little too late. American politics had driven a wooden stake through the heart of Strandlund's brilliant dream: "Lustron."

If you love old houses, you'll want to watch Lustron again and again. You might want to skip the ending though on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th viewings. If you're like me, it'll set your hair on fire.

Will You Come To My Party? Wonder Books Easy Reader
Will You Come To My Party? Wonder Books Easy Reader
by Sara Asheron
10 used & new from $3.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Time for an Eating Party!, February 8, 2014
This book is cute, dear, fun and insightful.

My favorite part - that I've read over and over again - is that squirrel is having an "Eating Party." When I read that to my 34-year-old daughter, she said, "That's brilliant. I never thought about it quite that way, but aren't all parties 'eating parties'?"

Yes, I think they are.

"Will You Come to My Party" is a story of collaborative effort and enjoying social time, even if we're all quite different.

I really do love this book. You can not read it without smiling!

3200 Lawyer: Male Brown Personalized Christmas Ornament
3200 Lawyer: Male Brown Personalized Christmas Ornament
Offered by The Wild Moose Ornament Co. - FREE Personalization on All Ornaments
Price: $10.98
4 used & new from $10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute little lawyer guy, February 8, 2014
My husband is a self-described, "old workhorse trial attorney," one of a vanishing breed. Seems most lawyers mediate and settle, rather than litigate.

But I digress.

I purchased this for my lawyer husband on Christmas 2013, and it is well made and cute and a fun little idea. When Mr. Lawyer opened it up on Christmas morning he exclaimed, "Well look at that. I'll bet we're the only people in the state with a lawyer hanging on our tree!"

And he might be right.

It's really quite cute and well done. Highly recommend!!!

Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Marker, Fine Point, Pack of 3 (Black)
Sharpie Oil-Based Paint Marker, Fine Point, Pack of 3 (Black)
Offered by Junipers'
Price: $9.99
4 used & new from $7.95

1.0 out of 5 stars ALL SALES ARE FINAL!!!, February 8, 2014
Wow, the best part of Amazon is that if something isn't suitable and/or doesn't work, it can be returned.

That is not the case with these markers. I purchased these markers, along with several regular fine-point sharpie markers, and I ended up using the regular fine-point markers. The oil-based markers sat in the package - unopened and untouched.

Today, I logged into Amazon to do the necessary paperwork to return these markers and lo and behold, "No returns permitted on this item."

VERY disappointing.

There was not one word about that when I sent in my $10. Amazon should clearly mark that some items can not be returned.

Had I known this at the outset, I would have been very hesitant to make the initial purchase.

Sunforce 60031 10 Amp Digital Charge Controller
Sunforce 60031 10 Amp Digital Charge Controller
Price: $31.34
3 used & new from $31.34

1.0 out of 5 stars Wow, buyer beware!, October 9, 2013
I just purchased this item from Amazon and paid a little extra for super-dooper fast shipping. I've got a new solar set-up and this is the last piece I needed to get it finished.

Imagine my surprise when I opened the Amazon box and found the display on my "new" solar controller was scuffed and damaged. The terminals were obviously used and one of them even had a scorch mark (which is a real puzzle, as this is intended for solar, which is pretty low power). Someone obviously used this item for a time (like, maybe long enough to trash it), and then returned it, and then it was shipped back out the door to an unsuspecting buyer (such as myself).

I've had this happen before with Amazon. Earlier this year, I purchased a new book from Amazon and when it arrived, it had a long black magic marker stripe across the pages' edge (indicating that it was a discarded library book). Really took the wind out of my sails for shipping someone a "new book" as a gift.

So something is afoot at Amazon and I don't know what it is. I do know that twice in the last year, I have paid for "new merchandise" (such as this Solar Controller) and received items that are not only used, but damaged.

Pardon me, while I slip off to a big box supplier to purchase this item a second time.

Targus Lap Chill Mat for Laptop, Black/Gray (AWE55US)
Targus Lap Chill Mat for Laptop, Black/Gray (AWE55US)
Price: Click here to see our price
117 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, and laptop still overheats, July 1, 2013
As other reviewers have pointed out, this cooling pad is very comfy on the legs (which is where my laptop usually sits), but the fans underneath barely run.

Right now, my anti-virus program is running, and between that, and this (one window opened on Amazon), my Toshiba is running hot, and the internal fan has ramped up to full speed.

One would think that this could be *avoided* with a cooling pad, but this one just doesn't cut the mustard. I'm very disappointed because this was NOT the cheapest pad, and yet, it's going in the Goodwill pile as soon as my new cooling pad arrives.

Save your money. Pick another cooler, but stay away from the Targus Lap Chill Mat.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2013 5:48 AM PDT

When Parents Hurt: Compassionate Strategies When You and Your Grown Child Don't Get Along
by Joshua Coleman
Price: $13.01
72 used & new from $6.83

1.0 out of 5 stars VERY disappointed, May 25, 2013
After reading this book, I wanted to go re-read my favorite parenting book, "Mother's Day is Over" (an older book with limited availability).

I have a dear friend who's 21-year-old daughter ceased all contact with the family for a time.

The father's comment to me was, "Living without Jenny in our life was tough, but that was an ancillary problem. The effect this had on my typically upbeat, happy wife was unfathomable. She cried every day, and the guilt was crushing the life out of her. She would stare into space and say, 'I must have been a terrible mother. I don't know anyone whose own little girl has disappeared from their life.'"

In their case, Jenny got her head screwed on straight and returned to their life and the mother went back to her happy, happy defaults.

And that leads me to my #1 complaint with "When Parents Hurt." It lays yet another bundle of pain, guilt, and self-contempt at the feet of the parents. For instance, on page 241 the author writes, "Most parents give up too soon on their grown children who cut them off or reduce contact."

That seems to be a common theme. Keep up the self-flagellation trying to put yourself into your child's life even in the face of unending rejection and crippling emotional pain. After all, he says, that's what parenting is all about (page 248).

But it was page 254 that made me want to throw the book in the fire pit. It's there that you'll find a questionnaire, designed to help you figure out why you (the parent) are screwed up, and if you do enough self-examination, perhaps you can get yourself right and then your precious little snowflake will dance back into your life.

In 21st Century America, most parents are already staggering under an excruciating burden of guilt and despair. It's my opinion that "When Parents Hurt" actually twists the knife a bit, inflicting more pain on parents who are already suffering a "fate worse than death," the abandonment of a child.

Losing a child through abandonment is, as another writer said, "Just like a death, but there was no funeral and no public grieving."

Steer clear of this book. It does not provide comfort, only more sadness and pain.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2013 9:15 AM PST

Sea's Gift Korean Seaweed Snack (Kim Nori), Roasted & Sea Salted, 0.17-Ounce Bags (Pack of 24)
Price: $13.46
11 used & new from $13.46

1.0 out of 5 stars Really, really ICKY!!, January 12, 2013
My daughter left some of these in my house, so I had a taste. Funny thing is, earlier in the day, I'd sampled some Milk Bone Dog Biscuits (at the behest of a very cute little grandson).

The Milk Bone Dog Biscuits definitely needed some salt and a little more flavor, but compared to these Seaweed Snacks, the Dog Biscuits were "de bon gout" (that's French for delicious).

As an experiment, I threw one of these snacks on the floor for my Sheltie, and she looked at me with sad eyes as if to say, "Really? Why are we torturing the puppy?"

In all seriousness, I like to try new things and organic food is good food, but this particular "gift from the sea" should be thrown overboard.

Ick.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 2, 2013 2:05 PM PDT

Squirrel Brand Italian Black Truffle Almonds, 18-Ounce
Squirrel Brand Italian Black Truffle Almonds, 18-Ounce
Price: $19.92

1.0 out of 5 stars Ick., December 28, 2012
Perhaps I don't have a sophisticated, developed palate, but I thought these things tasted *horrible.*

I bought them for my husband and me, and after trying *ONE*, I proclaimed, "Those are horrid. Do you like them?"

He said he did, and that's good because else-wise, I would have tossed them right into the trashcan. Nonetheless I have noticed that he is not eating them. They just sit on our dining room table, which is unusual. This man can eat a LOT of nuts, but he's largely left these alone.

I'm a big fan of all manner of nuts, but these just taste BAD.

And heaven knows, they cost plenty.

I'm awfully disappointed.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2013 9:29 AM PDT

2012
2012
DVD
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Please, won't someone let the poiticians drown?, December 28, 2012
This review is from: 2012 (Amazon Instant Video)
So, when the world ends, it's the politicians and bureaucrats that we're gonna save.

Yeah, sounds like a really bad idea for so MANY reasons.

Meanwhile, the writers and the artists and the spiritual leaders are left behind to deal with the apocalypse. That was the most depressing element of the movie. What will the world look like if we only save the "important people" in Washington? Heaven help us. Seriously. If the future world is to be populated with the slimy-dog politicians and their ilk, I think I'll take my chances with eternal life, thank you very much.

Sitting in the darkened theater watching 2012, I was reminded of "The Bunker" at White Sulphur Springs (in West Virginia). Construction on the 110,000-square-foot bunker was started under Eisenhower's watch, when we were worried that the USSR might blow us up into lots of radioactive pieces. Turns out, our beloved elected officials were prepared to push The Red Button that'd end the world as we know it, and then turn-tail and run into their bunker, slam the blast-proof door behind them and emerge 90 days later when the danger had passed. And the most amazing part: The Bunker is outfitted with gee-whiz features that'd lead the unsuspecting public to believe the lawmakers were still comfortably ensconced in Washington, DC. In other words, The Bunker was *designed* to perpetrate a fraud on the American people.

Watching "2012" I thought about The Bunker and realized, this movie is probably right. If and when the world ends, it'll be the politically important that are given seats on the lifeboats. And it's probably right that if there is a cataclysmic event, the Powers That Be will not tell the unwashed masses what's going on, lest they try and steal one of those seats on the lifeboat.

That's just depressing on so many levels.

But I digress.

This movie is definitely impressive on the big screen, and the soundtrack has plenty of bass (which I like). But the script and the writing was a little sappy for my tastes. And as to believability - well - this movie fell short on that score, too. I don't want to spoil the plot, but NO ONE can drive a limousine *that* well. On the plus side, the graphics are truly amazing and scarier than anything I've ever seen before. I had to turn away from the screen to avoid some of the scary-as-hell images. It's a pretty intense flick, and it does a good job of drawing you in.

A nice side effect: After watching this movie, I'm a lot less worried about getting those pesky credit cards paid off. Does make you think a little more about enjoying every day, and appreciating the simple beauty in our world.

In conclusion, it's an interesting flick with awe-inspiring graphics, and it'll hold your attention - if you can suspend disbelief for a couple hours.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20