ARRAY(0x9e125f00)

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sarah Anne Isabella RSS Feed (Mid-Atlantic)

The Kimchi Chronicles: Korean Cooking for an American Kitchen
The Kimchi Chronicles: Korean Cooking for an American Kitchen
by Marja Vongerichten
Price: $23.49
81 used & new from $16.05

5.0 out of 5 stars Korean Cuisine...So Much More Than Kimchi, February 21, 2014
I have collected cookbooks for years but never any which featured Asian cooking. This is an interesting guide to Korean dishes which I had never had the pleasure of sampling until a few years ago. My late husband's client was a lovely Korean woman who had come to America and saved for years to open a Korean restaurant. Coincidentally, one of my brothers moved back to our city after spending a lot of time in Korea and developing a taste for the cuisine. Thus began my love affair with Korean food and my desire to create the dishes for myself. The book has lots of lovely illustrations, not only of the food, but photos of family & friends. The author gives a short history of her life both in Korea and in the US which I found utterly charming. The recipe instructions are easy to follow and not difficult to prepare. It was just what I was looking for and I've found it to be an excellent cooking reference for me and a good companion book for the PBS television series of the same name.

Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars No Zeal For "Zealot", August 20, 2013
As a committed Christian, I like to read everything I come across pertaining to the "human" side of Jesus. I have been somewhat disappointed both with the content and the writing style of this book. I think I'd rather see a purely didactic treatment with lots of footnotes than the constant references to historical figures and how they fit into the times and how and what they wrote is historically significant. It detracts from the work and, to me, it appears that author's opinions are not supported with proper references...meaning it's all mixed up together like the boring but ubiquitous Jell-O salad on the buffet. That said, the style seems somewhat disjointed and unappealing. I have had to put the work down on a number of occasions and sort out what I have just read and supplement with my own admittedly inadequate research in order to clarify it in my mind. I tend to disagree with the reviews accompanying the book...I was not "riveted" and it seemed that there was no "soul" in the presentation of the material. "Just the facts, Ma'am" is the kind of narrative I'd describe and I really wanted to like this book. I learned some things I didn't know but it could have been a much more enjoyable read.

The Low Glycemic Diet (A Simple Step By Step Guide To Using The Gi Index To Lose Weight, Boost Energy And Feel Great)
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Same Old, Same Old, August 20, 2013
There's nothing new here, just a rehash of the same old material. I bought it because the price was right but I should have passed on it. If one is not knowledgeable about the low glycemic diet and diet lifestyles, this book may be somewhat helpful in getting started with the principles underlying this method of weight management.

Magna Cart Ideal Hand Truck
Magna Cart Ideal Hand Truck
Offered by Rockler Woodworking and Hardware
Price: $29.99
6 used & new from $24.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Lives Up It's Name..."Ideal", August 20, 2013
I saw this cart in use when I went to visit a retired friend of mine...a strapping male who said "I don't do stairs or box-lifting any more!" I thought it was a pretty small hand truck for a man better than 6 ft tall but he demonstrated it by moving a couple of boxes of old newspapers bound for the recycling center. He maneuvered it through the grass in his yard to his waiting vehicle. It was sturdy, well balanced and rolled smoothly over the less than ideal path.

I am a woman who is not even 5 ft tall and have the usual mobility issues of a person my age (which I won't tell!) Anyway, I thought that this would be perfect for me...ideal, in fact! It is small, lightweight, collapsible and easily returned to it's working position and made well. I came home and made an internet search and ordered one immediately. My helpful friend sent me the results of his own internet search later in the evening but by that time, my order had already been processed and was presumably on it's way. I have been using this since it arrived because I am in the middle of downsizing my home and moving to another. I can see this as a valuable tool for bringing in several bags of groceries and moving things around in my house. It can be easily kept in the car. It's durable and I can't think of anything other than old age and constant abuse which would make it break down. I read another review which was not very positive and thought I had better look around some more but then thought better of it because my friend had years of experience and use with his and his hand truck was still working perfectly and looking good. Due to our humid summertime climate, a musty and sometimes damp garage is where his Magna Cart is housed...no problems with rust or squeaky wheels. He used to use it for moving camping gear...another less than perfect environment. The negative review might have been as a result of a glitch in the manufacturing process possible...but how many times out of a thousand does that happen? If you are looking for a small, lightweight and easily portable hand truck for a myriad of uses in and around the home or even out and about, give it a shot. The price is reasonable. If you don't like it, it's so lightweight that it won't be a big deal to return. If you've done your homework, I'm guessing the Magna Cart will fit the bill.

Master Lock 3039DAT CamLok Adjustable Steel Cord Bungee Cord
Master Lock 3039DAT CamLok Adjustable Steel Cord Bungee Cord
Price: $5.63
14 used & new from $5.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Best-ever Bungee!, August 20, 2013
This was shown in addition to the Magna Cart and I bought it as well because it is an adjustable bungee cord...meaning it can be made shorter or longer because one of the hooks slides back & forth and you can "lock" it into position. It appeared to be well-made and the price was reasonable. Upon arrival, I inspected it closely and it was more durable than I originally anticipated from the pictures and the description.

I gave it 5 stars because I am going through a downsizing and I have used this cord to secure boxes and objects moved on my small hand truck and it has out-performed any other bungee cord. It has exceeded my expectations. I would hastily replace it if it were lost or broken because it has been so helpful to me through it's multiple uses and durability.

The Presidents Club: Inside the World's Most Exclusive Fraternity
The Presidents Club: Inside the World's Most Exclusive Fraternity
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $10.57

1.0 out of 5 stars YIKES!!! 2many$$$, April 22, 2012
Oh, I really want to read the whole thing, but I am sorely aggrieved by the cost of this e-book! What are you thinking???
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 20, 2013 2:03 PM PDT

Tough Care
Tough Care
Price: $8.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Whine tasting, March 26, 2012
This review is from: Tough Care (Kindle Edition)
I purchased this book in Kindle form after reading a blurb that the author had written on an AARP networking site. AARP discussion forums are a logical place to attempt a search for information regarding seniors' issues & one may find many exhausted caregivers there. They are looking for an inspirational word or two and possibly a few ideas for negotiating the health care system on behalf of an incapacitated loved one. Caregiving is a tough job and many of us find ourselves in what seems like a rabbit hole of fatigue and confusion.

I can honestly say "don't waste your money!" The book is a quick read & begins as a love story. It quickly sinks into a whiny and sometimes bitter recitation of some of the most private and personal caregiving acts one can provide for a dying loved one. The writer seems to perseverate on his late wife's brain damage and her tendency to curse and display deep anger towards him. Yes, he deserves kudos for maintaining until the bitter end, but he writes in the tiresome voice of a selfless martyr and in so doing, makes one wonder what his actual motivation was...to care for his beloved dying wife or to write a book complaining about his experience.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Everyone in the water!!, July 20, 2007
I purchased 2 of these for our recent lake vacation--an annual event. Our older canvas rafts had seen better days and I wanted to update the water toys for everyone who loves water play--children & adults. I tried to get several different types of sturdy flotation toys. The Wetbuns were used in a number of creative ways besides the recommended usage. They were doggie rafts, they were arm rafts, they were snack & soda rafts--we called them the "little fish rafts" because that's what they look like floating in the water. They were even used to assist my spinal cord injured son who likes to float around in the lake with the rest of us as we play. He is properly snugged up in a life vest and a couple of other auxiliary flotation devices we've rigged up to keep his head & neck above water from tiring. We used the Wetbuns to put under his thighs and feet to raise them up so they wouldn't be dangling in the colder water below. He had a great time and when it was time to get out, the Wetbuns was a big help to maneuver him back into his manual wheelchair--a cinch!

I would give this toy a 5 star review for our special needs and uses, but I think an active child wouldn't necessarily find 5 stars worth of entertainment. An adult who likes to float around in the water would like it a lot. If you want to lie down, though, get a raft. The foam ones like this are great, IMO.