Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Paul Kocak > Reviews

Browse

Paul Kocak's Profile

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul Kocak RSS Feed (Syracuse)

Page: 1 | 2
No October
No October
Price: $0.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A lyrical ode, January 3, 2014
This review is from: No October (Kindle Edition)
"No October" chronicles the 2013 season of the San Francisco Giants with grace, wit, passion, and love. Cast as an epic poem, this homage salutes the players and the fans. One might almost say it depicts the team and its fans in a marriage characterized by utter faithfulness in good times and bad. Just as good or better than the poem is Celeste Johnston's short biography of her fandom in an epilogue essay. It reminds me of "Wait Till Next Year" by Doris Kearns Goodwin in its father-daughter tenderness and sweet remembrances.

The Juju Rules: Or, How to Win Ballgames from Your Couch: A Memoir of a Fan Obsessed
by Hart Seely
64 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Hart Has Heart, December 17, 2012
Look, I am not a Yankee fan. They beat my Giants in the 1962 World Series. The Yankees were my father's and my older brother's team. So how could I love this book? I love it because the author, Hart Seely, tells an utterly human and passionate series of tales that almost any fan can identify with. This book is smart, funny, generous, humane, and hugely entertaining. Get it.

The Good Pope: The Making of a Saint and the Remaking of the Church--The Story of John XXIII and Vatican II
by Greg Tobin
Price: $21.33
65 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Man of His Time, and Ours, September 25, 2012
"The Good Pope" by Greg Tobin is a sober reminder of how things have changed since the days of Pope John XXIII and Vatican Council II. (I am not without prejudice: those days were formative in my own life, and Pope John's inspiration at that time is not forgotten.) Tobin deftly evokes an era as he sketches a loving portrait of this very good man. "The Good Pope" is important reading, underscoring the hunger of these times for a saintly person who can reach across religious or secular or cultural boundaries, as Pope John did. Tobin also illuminates the drama of the Council that John set forth and explores its implications for the Catholic Church and beyond. Most of all, Tobin's story-telling gifts as a novelist inform this very readable narrative.

A Pirate for Life
A Pirate for Life
by Steve Blass
26 used & new from $5.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Talkin' Baseball, September 12, 2012
This review is from: A Pirate for Life (Hardcover)
I met Steve Blass before a Giants-Pirates game in July 2012, and we had a comfortable conversation about baseball as if we were life-long friends or neighbors. And that's the beauty of this memoir: the reader is treated to a lively and entertaining conversation about Steve Blass's life in baseball. His voice and personality really shine through. I'm not a Pirates fan (but ardently wish for them to have a winning season); nevertheless, Blass made me feel a part of the Bucs' family. ("We Are Family.") You can't help but admire Blass's humanity, humility, humor, and gratitude for a life well lived.

Ignorance: How It Drives Science
Ignorance: How It Drives Science
by Stuart Firestein
Price: $14.70
126 used & new from $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Conversation Worth Having, August 19, 2012
Firestein engages the reader in a provocative, challenging, and riveting conversation. He doesn't "lecture at" us. He poses deep questions in understandable language. I found this book to be almost life-changing in that it forced me to think about how I think. On a larger scale, Firestein washes science of its current gnostic status. He is not afraid to say something like, "We don't know and very likely may not know we don't know. And we may never know, but we will try to know." As a result of this book, I'd like to see the conversation between religion/philosophy and science broaden. To me, the unnameable landscape of science's "ignorance" or "mystery" might be the horizon that some consider "spirituality." Thank you for this thoroughly engaging book. I saw it at a college library and bought a copy after I finished reading it.

The Consumerist Manifesto Handbook: The Guerilla's Guide to Making Corporations Pay for Faulty Goods, Substandard Services, and Broken Promises
by Charles J. Selden
62 used & new from $0.07

5.0 out of 5 stars Manifesto Destiny, April 14, 2012
As you would expect -- demand! -- this book delivers the goods, with solid return on investment. Selden throws in some FREE! extras: lots of data, humor, lively prose, and common sense. Plus, the layout, charts, and graphics add consumer value. Buy it.

The Odds: A Love Story
The Odds: A Love Story
by Stewart O'Nan
108 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Finely Painted Portrait, April 9, 2012
This review is from: The Odds: A Love Story (Hardcover)
I got to know this couple in this brief but intense novel, and I found myself rooting for them -- no matter the odds. It's a sensitive and unsparing portrait. It's subtitled "a love story" -- it is that but not in a Hallmark greeting card way you might want or expect. O'Nan chooses his words with the touch of a poet. And without spoiling anything, I compare some of the plot outcome to "The Graduate." I won't say more. Buy it, and see if you agree.

Holy Holidays!: The Catholic Origins of Celebration
Holy Holidays!: The Catholic Origins of Celebration
by Greg Tobin
Price: $17.68
64 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Catholic, Entertaining, and Richly Informative, January 25, 2012
With a range that explores topics as diverse as Burning Man and the Gregorian calendar, "Holy Holidays!" is truly catholic. And yet it is solidly Catholic, too. Most of all, this volume is thoroughly engaging as it educates by means of historical context, liturgical tradition, cultural background, and theological foundation. Greg Tobin not only offers "the Catholic origins of celebration," as the subtitle promises, but also shines valuable light that any secular reader, or even atheist, can benefit from and appreciate.

Willie's Boys: The 1948 Birmingham Black Barons, The Last Negro League World Series, and the Making of a Baseball Legend
by John Klima
Price: $20.36
81 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Get on the Bus and Ride, January 4, 2010
As a Willie Mays fan since 1955 (timing, folks, timing!), I truly enjoyed this ride back to 1948 and Willie's subsequent formative years. The research itself makes for a wonderful mystery ride, and the reader truly gets the feel and sights and sounds and smells of a bygone era. I salute John Klima's debunking of some popular myths (e.g., concerning Mays's signing and his being scouted. I also discovered some unsavory facts about the popular Kansas City Monarchs and their apparently racist owner. As an editor myself, I could not help noticing that the book suffered from some sloppy editing. There were too many passages like this one, on page 167: "Alonzo Perry went to the mound for the Black Barons in Game 5 during a steady drizzle and surrendered runs in the first and third innings to fall behind, 1-0." That just doesn't make sense. This sort of clumsiness occurs more than once. Still, the research over all is adventurous to read and detective-like in its diligence. Even the footnotes are worth perusing.

Take This Bread: A Radical Conversion
Take This Bread: A Radical Conversion
by Sara Miles
Price: $9.41
167 used & new from $2.64

5.0 out of 5 stars Chew On This, December 17, 2009
Calling all atheists and skeptics, as well as churchy or nonchurchy so-called believers. Here's a story that reads like a novel, an intelligent one at that. If you are an open-minded person with a social conscience, you will see how the phrase "act yourself into a new way of thinking" can get lived out. A good friend gave me this book. I have given away copies of it too. You are likely to give something to someone (time? food?) after you read this book.

Page: 1 | 2