Profile for Gregory Paul Adkins > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 82

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Gregory Paul Adkins "Stickler" RSS Feed (Jeddah, Saudi Arabia)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Second Front: The Allied Invasion of France, 1942-43 (An Alternative History)
Second Front: The Allied Invasion of France, 1942-43 (An Alternative History)
Price: $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A Nice Little Book, January 14, 2015
Not too long ago a book like this could not be published. The writing is simply not up to professional level. There is too little dialog an much too much explanatory dialog. It seems whole chapters read like a history of what never happened. That is to say the author has not mastered the novel form.

On the other hand, so what? It tells a wonderful yarn, and I think an original one. There are no time-travelers here, no wonder weapons introduced early, instead it hinges on the very unlikely Allied political decision to launch an early invasion of southern France. Once you swallow that pill, much of the rest follows easily.

It appears the author has done his research. I cannot swear to ever little point, but the hardware and geography has no obvious mistakes to distract the reader.

After the landing in the Riviera, more and more butterflies flap their wings and soon enough the story has spun off in what I think are overly-optimistic directions. The war described seems quite modern and very fast with few of the pauses that marked the real campaigns in Europe. We might say the Allies catch every break possible.

But again, so what? I enjoyed this and I think you will too. Now let me look to see what else this author has written.

Garmin Portable Friction Mount - Frustration Free Packaging
Garmin Portable Friction Mount - Frustration Free Packaging
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Price, October 27, 2014
When I rented a car, I got a GPS with one of these things. When I got home, I ordered one. My plan was to be able to switch our Garmin from one car to another easily. It does that just fine. My wife says she prefers not having the Gamin horn stuck on the windshield all the time. She thinks it is easier to put the whole contraption in the foot well of the car for security to popping the device off the horn. The device now sits lower, but that is no problem. I have had it shift during emergency maneuvers. But on the other hand everything else in the car also moved, so what can you expect. Well worth the price.

Plano 1612 Deep Dry Storage Marine Box with Tray (Orange)
Plano 1612 Deep Dry Storage Marine Box with Tray (Orange)
Price: $14.99
13 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Nice EMT Box, October 27, 2014
This lives in the trunk of my car. It looks great with one of those EMT decals on each side. I use the two small compartments on the top for sharps, the tray for lights; the rest has the bandages and so on. I live in Saudi and it seems to handle the heat well. The rubber seal is good enough for my purposes, it keeps the dust out. I cannot say if it is seriously waterproof.

Darn Tough Fred Tuttle Cushion Micro Crew Sock - Men's
Darn Tough Fred Tuttle Cushion Micro Crew Sock - Men's
Price: $18.95 - $19.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth the Money, October 27, 2014
Really, how much can socks be worth? These are actually worth the money. I ordered these because of the lifetime guarantee, but have found these to very comfortable. They keep my feet very dry, and I live in sweaty Saudi Arabia. They are the best socks I have ever owned. I will order more when I am home next and will dump all my lesser, disposable socks in the dumpster.
The grey ones look OK with office clothes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2014 8:33 PM PST

Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 2nd)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Alarm Clock, October 27, 2014
I got this for free when my Kindle DX gave up the ghost. As a result I now have a Kindle Fire, a Kindle Paperwhite and an iPad Mini.

Unlike the Kindle DX, the Fire (and the iPad) lets me get color magazines. That is about the best thing I can say about it. The screen is too shiny for serious reading and the battery life is much too short for a long airplane trip. I got an external battery, but that seems to just be one more thing to deal with.

So now I am doing my reading on my Kindle PaperWhite. I carry my iPad for mail and apps. The Fire sits plugged in next to my bed as an alarm clock. It is a nice alarm clock.

All in all, I miss the discontinued DX and can see no reason have both an iPad and a Fire. If you cannot afford an iPad, this is OK, as long as you do not need long battery life.

American Notes for General Circulation
American Notes for General Circulation
Price: $1.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Observations of a Long-Ago America, August 2, 2014
I liked it on a couple of levels.

First off, it tells us about Mr. Dickens. I read this as notes he might have someday used for an unwritten book. It mentions accents, clothing, furniture (rocking chairs everywhere), food and domestic customs. This is how a great writer sees the world.

Next, it is a tour guide to America at the time. Boston was prim and proper; Cairo, Illinois was a stinking mess. I read this as if Mr. Dickens was a character of his own Pickwick Papers, a thin and delicate creature taken aback by the crude ways of his American cousins. This amused me.

Finally, I appreciate his few comments on slavery. As an American, the sin of slavery is like a well-worn coin. We rarely see it for what it was. We imagine some image from an old movie perhaps. Here, Dickens, and we stub our toe on it. He is so shocked by it that he refuses to travel further south than Richmond. Indeed, I suppose he spend less than twenty pages on the subject. But they are important pages. He does not scold or preach, he describes. He brings out the images on those old coins. He makes us think and remember.

It is more of a document than literature. It is not a completely easy read. But if you want to know what America was like before the Civil War, this is well worth your time.

Sony 16GB MicroVault U-Series USB Flash Drive (USM16GU/B)
Sony 16GB MicroVault U-Series USB Flash Drive (USM16GU/B)
Price: $21.31
8 used & new from $16.93

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, It works., August 2, 2014
The company gave these out a year or so ago. I kept mine the box in my desk as a back-up. Eventually my regular USB begane to fail, so I pulled this one out of reserve. It seems to work.

This has a spring mechanism for some reason. The USB head (for lack of a better word) retracts into the case. After a week of occasional use, that failed. Now it is stuck in the open position.

The slot for your key ring is too narrow for any earthly keyring. I slipped a wire loop through mine, and it binds up. This thing is not suitable for use on a keyring.

Sony is supposed to be a design company. The electronics here works, but the fancy design looks good in the package, but is not so suited for real life. If you get a good price, buy it. If not, get a chaeper no-name version.

Pelican 2710 LED Flashlight Headlamp 027100-0100-110
Pelican 2710 LED Flashlight Headlamp 027100-0100-110
Offered by SCOTTOKIE
Price: $28.69
19 used & new from $11.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh, January 1, 2014
Oddly, two people gave me head-mounted flashlights for Christmas this year. This allows me to compare this one to that one.

This one has small buttons that are hard to find when you are wearing the fool thing. It runs off AAA rather than the larger AA batteries. I suppose they will not last as long. The battery compartment is hard to open, and the instructions do not tell you how to open it. This model has a green and a red LED on each side of the main white light. I have no idea why you would want such things. It also features an adjustable lens that allows a broad or more narrow beam.

The other one uses three AA batteries. The buttons are large and easy to find. It lacks the green and red lights, and the lens adjustment. It is simpler and easier to use.

I will toss this in my firt-aid kit, and I expect it would probably work if I needed it. The other one will live in my coat pocket. I prefer the other one.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2014 1:37 PM PDT

The Secret Agent: In Search of America's Greatest World War II Spy (Kindle Single)
Price: $2.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Story, Poorly Told, September 20, 2013
What a neat story. Eric Ericson did a lot of important and scary things to target German oil targets. It would make a wonderful full book.

But I really do not know what Ericson did. The article has some great stories, but also tells me Americans bombed a certain German factory at night. It also assures me that American bombs were painted red so the airmen could track them on the way down.

If the author is confused on these technical matters, how can believe the rest of his work?

This needs to be expanded to a full book. I could imagine a movie too. But another author needs the write it.

Kindle DX, Free 3G, 9.7" E Ink Display, 3G Works Globally
Kindle DX, Free 3G, 9.7" E Ink Display, 3G Works Globally
6 used & new from $204.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Apex of the Kindle Family, February 15, 2013
I bought the first Kindle on the day it came out. I have moved from one model to the other as they have improved.

All in all, the Kindle DX is the pick of the litter. It is black & white so the battery lasts for a transatlantic flight, or a weekend trip with no problem. It is a reading machine. It does not do movies, e-mail or games. It does not interupt you with facebook messages or software updates. It lets you read your darn book.

The screen is nice. It gives you an acre of text on a page for context. Photos and graphs expand to fill the entire screen making them more legible that they would be in the 'real' print version. It is just the right size to fit in your hand.

I suppose I could do without the keyboard, and maybe a touch-screen would be nice. That said, for the serious academic or or reader, the Kindle DX is the cat's meow.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9