Profile for Hey Reg! > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Hey Reg! RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Meet Me on 30A
Meet Me on 30A
by Susan Vallee
Price: $16.49

3.0 out of 5 stars A Glorified Travel Brochure for $20.00?, July 12, 2014
This review is from: Meet Me on 30A (Paperback)
Eh. To call this a book is a misnomer. It reality it is a travel brochure, with some better than average photography. Listing and pricing this as a book, I believe is not a fair representation. You can acquire most of this information, free of charge by visiting the Beaches of South Walton Visitor's Center (corner 331 & 98) or by most Publix locations that offer free real estate, travel racks as you leave the store. Recipes supplied are fair at best.

Somewhere East of Eden
Somewhere East of Eden
Price: $11.88
26 used & new from $7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Should be in the 2013 Top 10 for a pure Rock n Roll recording., December 15, 2013
This review is from: Somewhere East of Eden (Audio CD)
I guess it's unanimous! Great offering from a very underrated musician/ songwriter.
Here's hoping that somehow Joe is able to break thru. While I believe it to be a high honor to be compared with Springsteen; it can also be a detriment to one's ability in reaching the masses - another prime example would be Michael McDermott. Perhaps Joe can replicate some of the late success from other talented "blues men"

Wheelhouse (Deluxe Version) (Limited Edition)
Wheelhouse (Deluxe Version) (Limited Edition)
Offered by kylakins
Price: $19.99
28 used & new from $2.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Lot's Going on Here, April 24, 2013
Up front; I am not probably the best Paisley or country expert to give my opinion on "Wheelhouse". I do however enjoy good music and am a sucker for great story telling. I am definitely get a warm, southern hospitality feel; which is what I look for in country. This fondly reminds me of Tom Petty's Southern Accents and John Hiatt's Slow Turning and perhaps to a lesser degree Bon Jovi's Lost Highway. You could probably put in there almost anything from Whiskeytown's catalog. The downfall in this release is that there are too many balls in the air seemingly jammed into 16 tracks. By comparison, you can look at some Ryan Adams solo releases to see all the clutter here. BUT PLEASE, don't throw him into the Taylor Swift "selling out" pile. It's tough to criticize someone for trying just a little bit too hard. And clearly he wasn't looking to sell-out here. Lot's of creative innovation here, that other country folks could learn from.

Mystic Pinball
Mystic Pinball
Price: $11.88
74 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars THE CAVEMAN commeth and takes John along for a great ride, February 19, 2013
This review is from: Mystic Pinball (Audio CD)
Like most reviewers, I love John Hiatt. He is the most underrated/under-appreciated songwriter in these United States. As much as I am loyal to Hiatt's work. I must admit that "Master", "SOM" & Open Road, had me a little worried. After all he is cranking out 4 albums in 5 years. I thought most of the three aforementioned were showing John a "little long in tooth" Then came a renaissance with Dirty jeans / Mudslide hymns and Kevin Shirley. At first probably not the ideal pairing. (SURPRISE!) Albeit a little polished , But in a good way - instrumentally John and band mates sound GREAT!. Then Kevin tops it all by bringing back some of the fun with Mystic Pinball. I just love Bite Marks ( "need no teeth to eat my beef") the "Stonsey" - You're all the reason I need. - Crunchy Blues of My Business and the ominous Wood Chipper. Great clever lyrics, Great music, all from the Great John Hiatt!

Ashes & Fire
Ashes & Fire
Price: $7.99
46 used & new from $2.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Back!, November 18, 2011
This review is from: Ashes & Fire (Audio CD)
Ashes & Fire takes me back to Heartbreaker; Gold and yes (despite comments from others - Whiskeytown!) In fact I was immediately drawn back to review the entire Whiskeytown catalog after listening to A&F. While Heartbreaker and Gold were both classics in the start of his solo career; I will always remember my first exposure to Whiskeytown and their sound. Classic - In my mind the paramount of Alt. Country! Not sure what to credit with the change with A&F - MM, being sober Or both. Nothing against the Cardinals, but I liken to this vibe/ sound vs. RA Cardinal releases. This is clearly his best stuff since the beginning (exception being Cold Roses & maybe Jacksonville) I never thought I would ever engulfed in another Ryan Adams release.

Revival
Revival
Offered by Rare Imports
Price: $24.90
29 used & new from $15.26

5.0 out of 5 stars New Kings of Blues Rock!!! - AWESOME ROCK in 2011, November 10, 2011
This review is from: Revival (Audio CD)
Originated by the Stones
Upped a notch by Fleetwood Mac(Peter Green's FM; not Stevie Nicks FM) and Ten Years After
Rocked out by Humble Pie
Americanized by Aerosmith
Mastered by Led Zepplelin and now:
The New Kings of Blues Rock - THE ANSWER. While technically their fourth offering; it is in reality their third. The Good News is that they actually keep getting better at their craft. If you do want to take the plunge for this latest double CD offering (YES, It's worth it vs. the single - the second CD is not just throwaways & different versions - It CAN STAND on it's OWN!)try by sampling "Everyday Demons"; then move on over to the "Revival" and "Rise" if you can find it.
Best Rock offering in 2011 after Foo Fighters Wasting Light.

Pills & Ammo
Pills & Ammo
Offered by skyvo-direct-usa
Price: $15.26
20 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Golly Miss Molly - GREAT RnR is back!, February 26, 2011
This review is from: Pills & Ammo (Audio CD)
Finally the Southside Johnny trinity is complete. With Hearts of Stone & Better Days, Pills and Ammo complete 3 GREAT indispensable Rock n Roll albums for this highly talented under the radar NJ group. And with much hope on the horizon, in that this one was done done without Little Steven's help. Jeff Kazzee handling much of the tunes. To be honestly fair, I have to give homage to "Jukesville"; with more of the traditional Southside horn sound (1st. 3 releases) I don't know if this has anything to do with the omission of "La Bamba".But the horns on P&A just don't sound right. If you are a Southside traditionalist, that gives you FOUR "must haves" If you go with just flat out "toe-tapping" rock n roll - you now have the perfect Southside trinity.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2012 7:05 AM PDT

Everyday Demons (Limited Edition) (incl. Bonus Disc)
Everyday Demons (Limited Edition) (incl. Bonus Disc)
11 used & new from $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophmore Triumph!, February 5, 2011
First this review is for Demon Eyes- no bonus. Although I'm very confident that the "live" bonus was excellent. I was lucky enough to catch "the Rise" live bonus; which was Excellent! I thought Rise was great and was excited to find these guys. Typically when this happens, these bands self destruct with the least little bit of success. Not true in this case; I can honestly say that I enjoyed there second release even more than Rise. Demon Eyes just starts out and grabs you immediately. Too Far Gone & On & On offer three GREAT tracks into this outstanding ROCK album. Glad hear that number #3 is in the works and will be out later this year. Again, these guys most remind me of the GREAT late Humble Pie. Cormacc could be the next Steve Marriott - not too Shabby.

Love It to Life
Love It to Life
Price: $9.99
48 used & new from $3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Keeps topping himself, October 24, 2010
This review is from: Love It to Life (Audio CD)
Just when I thought Glitter was his Abbey Road; he comes out with "Love it to Life" This is a double surprise when you consider the cover "Sleeve" album (waste of time) followed Glitter. I really thought he was done. Although I'm ready to move this to #1; I still can't get Broken Radio out of my head - Best Song in his catalog. My least favorite is probably In Heat; while I must admit it was going to be tough to follow that outstanding debut "FAOD" which just gave me chills I hadn't had since my first intro to Bruce. Ironic that these guys get along. Also as a Westerbeg junkie; I get and agree with some of the comparisons. Let me give you one more excellent songwriter under the radar, who you might like along with Bruce, Jesse & PW - Michael McDermott (check him out!)

Chickenfoot
Chickenfoot
Offered by insomniacsonline
Price: $11.00
85 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Hagar on steroids? Is this a good thing?, December 1, 2009
This review is from: Chickenfoot (Audio CD)
I agree with most of the HONEST reviews; it sounds like a Sammy album - Cheesy lyrics, screaching, yelping; we all have all heard from before. The salvation here is the steroids themselves - Mike Anthony & Chad Smith> Both sound great; and at times makes this palatable. Super Joe moments are far and few. I don't know if Van Halen is ever going to do another album; but clearly they will MISS Anthony - BIG TIME! Say what you want about Sammy & Joe, BUT Chickenfoot has a Kick Ass rhythm section

Page: 1 | 2