Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for Amit Garg > Reviews

Browse

Amit Garg's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amit Garg RSS Feed (Menlo Park, CA, USA)

It Happened On the Way to War: A Marine's Path to Peace
It Happened On the Way to War: A Marine's Path to Peace
by Rye Barcott
Price: $20.13
121 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars How an individual can inspire and a small group of people can change the world, March 29, 2011
I must preface with the disclaimer that I know Rye as a classmate and friend, had the privilege of being a small part of his journey, an advanced reader for the book, and have many parallels to his story (intimately familiar with developing countries having grown up there; war, dictatorship and a near-death experience shaped who I am; volunteered in a desperately poor part of the world; lead two lives in non-profit and startups). We co-wrote recently in the Harvard Business School newspaper, Amazon won't let me put a link here but you can google up "making a real difference harbus".

So take my words with sincerity -- I am somewhat overwhelmed but mostly inspired with Rye's ideas, perseverance and sacrifice. Rye completely overturns any stereotypes for me; here is an individual deeply grounded in a sense of duty and honor to humanity, who fought in Iraq, started a non-profit in Kenya serving a million people, and been a scholar at some of the finest universities in the world. Rye is indeed larger than life and he is making a large dent in the universe.

But the story is much bigger than him. Carolina for Kibera (CFK), the organization in Kenya, is truly a testament to what a small group of committed individuals can do. CFK is operating in one of the biggest slums in the world, in conditions that sap energy and require utmost dedication. It is fraught with problems that are perpetuated by the ignorance and passivity of our society. But it also showcases the best of humanity - a $26 loan was just what was needed so an entire community could find in itself the capacity to change. There are many more individuals in the slum who now have a chance to dream and fly. And there are millions like them in the world that just need a helping hand so they can lift themselves.

I put Rye and "It Happened on the Way to War" in the same category as Greg Mortenson and "Stones Into Schools", Paul Farmer and "Mountains beyond Mountains", and John Wood and "Leaving Microsoft to Change the World".

The story is far from perfect and there is much more to do, which begs me to write such a review. It inspired my life and I think can change yours too.

Brilliant, Crazy, Cocky: How the Top 1% of Entrepreneurs Profit from Global Chaos
by Sarah Lacy
Price: $13.39
72 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars What a tour de force, February 1, 2011
I have never met Sarah Lacy as of writing this and am posting this review right before the book's official launch. I grew up in developing countries, have lived through rawness, and work in technology in Silicon Valley -- this book really hit home. Lacy has really done her research and written a compelling and current analysis of our world. I thought the focus on China, India, Brazil, Indonesia and Rwanda as top emerging economies, and what that means for the US, was very apt. The personal stories of people who overcame overwhelming odds to build and rebuild their societies, especially the opening chapter on a Brazilian entrepreneur, were deeply moving.

I felt inspired and bought two more copies to gift to others.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 7, 2011 11:03 AM PST

Terrene: the hidden valley
Terrene: the hidden valley
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Environmentalism + Technology + Fresh + Fun, January 21, 2011
My laptop open across various transcontinental plane flights, eyes glued to a riveting tale. Science fiction woven with faith in technology and in the redemptive capacity of human beings. Allusions, references, and two parallel story lines that meet at the end in an unexpected way, tickling the mind.

Goethe wrote that "Whatever you think you can do or believe you can do, begin it. Action has magic, grace and power in it." So I felt about the characters in the book -- frail and yet powerful beyond imagination.

Terrene was indeed a breath of fresh air, with a message that we so need to hear today. I think Eric Liu has achieved something precious, most impressive for a first-time author.

Family Planning: A Novel
Family Planning: A Novel
by Karan Mahajan
Price: $12.81
64 used & new from $2.32

5.0 out of 5 stars A Study of the Absurd, February 17, 2009
Holly Scudero, a top 1000 reviewer, has a great review from Jan 18, 2009 that is more eloquent and thoughtful than I could ever write. So I want to just add a couple of personal thoughts from that starting point.

I read through "Family Planning" in one sitting. Mahajan is a true child of post-modernism; he dissects the incongruity of life with the same finesse of a Camus or a Rushdie. Farce is not for everyone but for those who appreciate dissecting the absurd, this is a royal treat.

I am giving this book 5 stars considering also the valiant effort -- Mahajan is a young author and this is his first novel. I look eagerly to his next one.

Wave Watcher
Wave Watcher
by Craig Alan Johnson
24 used & new from $11.39

5.0 out of 5 stars a beautiful story on the power of redemption, hope, and love, July 4, 2008
This review is from: Wave Watcher (Paperback)
How can I do justice to this book? I was saddened, redeemed, my soul touched. Ray reminded me of Scout from "Killing a Mockingbird" in his maturity and in how he cuts across deeper and deeper layers of human experience and emotion.

Like every single review so far here, I strongly endorse this novel with 5 stars. For me it was especially moving because I have known the author (Craig Johnson) as my teacher in high school, who taught me many things including the power of ideas and thoughts.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 25, 2012 5:26 PM PDT

Enchanting Christmas Stories (BookBox)
Enchanting Christmas Stories (BookBox)
DVD ~ Animated
Price: $14.95
10 used & new from $3.02

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful! stories that can entertain and educate children and adults alike, July 1, 2008
These stories focus on Christmas but the words I wrote in the other review (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XATUWG) apply fully. For people's convenience, am posting below.

These stories are absolutely beautiful! If I could give more than 5 stars I would truly do so. The text, music, animation are done superbly. The DVD menus are elegant and easy to navigate. The characters felt so real I felt I could touch them on the screen. All narratives carry a very positive message, being very sensitive to culture.

More so, the stories appealed to both the child and the adult in me. I wish BookBox had existed when I was growing up -- it would been a blessing for someone who craved a deeper connection to other languages, other cultures, and to my own family.

Indeed, parents and children will find these stories are a wonderful way of connecting with each other. Educators will find the audio and subtitles in different languages help in reinforcing literacy and language. This is based on proven models as BookBox has evolved from a mass literacy project developed by Dr. Kothari.

And for those that feel $14.95 is expensive -- give it a chance. I had similar thoughts but after checking the DVDs I felt it was very fair as I was getting high quality. To me, this is the standard price for a DVD and worth it, considering I can keep and cherish for a long time.

A little background to put my words in context -- I am 27 years old and am fully trilingual, having grown up in India and Brazil. I have known BookBox since the beginning and believe in their mission of promoting literacy and culture in a fun way. I have donated time, energy and financial support to them and will be gifting these treasured DVDs to children in my life.

Stories from Around the World (BookBox) English