Profile for A. L. Bryant > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 34

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. L. Bryant "card-carrying bibliophile" RSS Feed (Florida, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Dandelion Fire: Book 2 of the 100 Cupboards
Dandelion Fire: Book 2 of the 100 Cupboards
by Nathan D. Wilson
103 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed, April 30, 2009
This book was highly anticipated in our house, and no one enjoyed it at all. Wilson's writing style is so discombobulating that it is difficult at times to understand what he's talking about. It's as if, in his effort to be literary and artistic, he expends with such feeble ideas as common sense, logic and explanation. I find myself constantly rereading, and still with only a vague idea of what is happening and why.
Also, the changes to poor Henry were grotesque and unappealing until midway through the book. I enjoyed the action at the end, and found that part exciting, but most of the build-up to it was disturbing and groundless.
Henrietta, as a character, is so annoying that I was glad to see bad things happen to her, and found reading about her a chore.
I gave it two stars because I still find the original premise interesting and the idea of the family from two worlds very creative. But the writing style and authorial choices made it impossible to enjoy. Oh well.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2009 2:26 PM PDT

The Book of the Sword: The Darkest Age
The Book of the Sword: The Darkest Age
by A. J. Lake
Price: $13.21
75 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars 4 1/2 stars, really, May 14, 2008
I read the first book, mostly intrigued by the characters and the realism with which their adventures were told. I'm a sucker for a shipwrecked prince/girl pirate duo and these two are particularly endearing. Going into this second book, I was pleasantly surprised to see good character development along with the nonstop action. Again, the realism made it a really fun, exciting ride. Lots of imagination here--give it a chance!

Silver City (Silver Sequence)
Silver City (Silver Sequence)
by Cliff McNish
Price: $13.84
40 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, heroic journey, September 10, 2007
I loved this book!
McNish is able to build so much tension and so much horror that his characters seem almost myth-like as they attempt their many and varied tasks in seeking to protect their world from a horror-filled end.
My favorite character is Thomas, whose journey in book one to becoming a selfless and stunningly capable leader shows its fruition here. In Silver City, he is a single-minded powerhouse of determination and strength, even when tested to the outer limits of human ability.
I was literally on the edge of my seat, breathless to find out what would happen. In no way did the climax disappoint, nor did Thomas fail to evidence even more growth in the end. And, as Helen says, since Thomas' role in the final task will be even more pivotal, I cannot *wait* to read that book!

The Floating Island (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme)
The Floating Island (The Lost Journals of Ven Polypheme)
by Elizabeth Haydon
102 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Just all right, August 9, 2007
I did enjoy the action in this novel, but the characters weren't compelling enough for me to care dearly about them. The only thing I found truly *real* were Ven's feelings for his family, and they were relegated to far away, long ago for too much of the story.

Ven himself seemed to morph too much to seem a real character. I felt like she didn't have a good handle on him, so I didn't either.

Evil Genius
Evil Genius
by Catherine Jinks
139 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A more realistic Artemis Fowl, August 8, 2007
This review is from: Evil Genius (Hardcover)
Don't get me wrong. I love Artemis Fowl. But this travels some of the same territory with a more realistic worldview, more bald-faced action and stiffer consequences. Very exciting!

I love the character of Cadel with his unformed morality and lonely, loyal heart. It's a long book with lots of twisting in the plots, like a great roller coaster ride, but the main attraction to me was seeing how Cadel grows and becomes a whole person. I look forward to seeing where he goes next!

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)
by J. K. Rowling
Price: $22.46
1988 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply brilliant!, August 6, 2007
It had all the elements I knew would be there, but put together in ingenius, unexpected ways that made this a treat to read. How could so much of this book have been a surprise when I knew what had to be coming? Hard to say goodbye to the characters, but this was a great send-off, even if some of my favorites got snubbed a bit in the final outing. Bravo, Rowling!

Everlost (The Skinjacker Trilogy)
Everlost (The Skinjacker Trilogy)
by Neal Shusterman
Price: $13.86
60 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wholly original and thought-provoking, August 6, 2007
This book left me intrigued about the afterlife, and caring greatly about the fate of the characters--well, one in particular. Talk about a heroic journey! I truly hope Shusterman feels like visiting this world again and continues Nick's saga. Fascinating read.

Ambergate
Ambergate
by Patricia Elliott
86 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Captivating, August 6, 2007
This review is from: Ambergate (Hardcover)
This was such an interesting book in so many ways. Scuff is an interesting character, full of promise and intriguing traits. The people she meets on her journey were all interesting as well, and the tapestry of their lives fills this novel to overflowing. As a side note, I simply adore odd, mysterious boys with something to hide, so this book was a special treat for me. No spoilers, though! Let's move on.
The plot was inventive and constantly surprising, and I was very invested in the outcome of the climax. I hated to leave that world. So many tantalizing questions answered in the end, and yet, so many more remain!
I am looking forward to reading more!

The Fairy Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, Book 1)
The Fairy Tale Detectives (The Sisters Grimm, Book 1)
by Michael Buckley
Price: $12.93
140 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the paper its printed on, June 3, 2007
I not only did not connect with the main character, I avidly disliked her from beginning to end. When there finally was a character I thought was interesting, he was spoiled by unlikeable characteristics as well. The plot was half-baked and just . . . not fun.

Honestly, there was not anything I liked in the book. Sorry!

The Boy in the Alamo
The Boy in the Alamo
by Margaret Cousins
Price: $9.97
59 used & new from $0.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic adventure, moving tribute, April 27, 2007
This review is from: The Boy in the Alamo (Paperback)
I don't know how I managed to pick up this book and not realize how terribly sad the battle of the Alamo would be. Somehow I did, and was taken by surprise by the courage of the men who held the fort despite the hopelessness. It's an amazing story, and Margaret Cousins writes the characters with depth, common sense and yet, with that almost supernatural tenacity.

In following the journey of a boy to a man in the face of war, you also get a wonderful, valuable look at the reason "Remember the Alamo!" is still a battle cry today. To "Remember the Alamo!" is to remember the best part of man, that divine part of ourselves that can be inspired to resist, even unto death, for that which is worthy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2009 11:45 AM PDT