Profile for Nizdobs > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Nizdobs "Niz" RSS Feed (NJ, USA)

Frigidaire FRA186MT2 18,500 BTU Window-Mounted Median Air Conditioner with Temperature Sensing Remote (230 volts)
Price: $573.00
20 used & new from $200.70

2.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Unimpressive, July 29, 2010
After 10 years of service my 18000 BTU GE QuietAire unit gave up the ghost. This being a terrible summer in the Northeast I had a difficult time finding anyone with a large window mounted unit. I only found one large window unit in the whole area so I bought it. Installation was a pain but we got through it.

My big gripe is that the unit seems to have very little cooling power. The old GE would cool the entire downstairs very quickly. This unit ran on high for hours and finally brought the area to 75 degrees. And the unit makes more noise than the GE. Not enough that it's difficult to be in the same room with the unit but the GE was whisper quiet. I don't think I can return the unit because I need to get through the rest of the summer but I have a sinking feeling that I'm not going to be satisfied with this unit.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2012 2:14 PM PDT

A Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming (2nd Edition)
by Mark G. Sobell
33 used & new from $11.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Beyond frustrating, May 7, 2010
I really wanted to like this book as I am now a regular linux desktop user and want to learn shell/perl scripting. Unfortunately this book has been a tremendous letdown. The presentation of topics and the code examples do not build on one another and the ordering too often seems haphazard.

Readability of code samples is hindered by not numbering lines of code. It's a lot easier to read when the text says "Line 24 specifies the variable...." instead of trying to find the line referenced by "The third say statement specifies the variable....".

Most damning in my mind is the repeated sin of referencing material not yet covered in examples. So when I am reading page 200 there is no reason to throw out a code sample with material that won't be covered until page 450. This book is replete with examples like this! It's as if they had a general idea of the topics they wanted to cover, they wrote the text and code samples for each topic and only then decided on the order in which to present the information. I'm sorry to report that learning from this book is far more frustrating than it should be.

Painless Algebra (Barron's Painless)
Painless Algebra (Barron's Painless)
by Lynette Long Ph.D.
483 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Memorize Shortcuts - Comprehend Nothing, April 14, 2010
The author reduces algebra to a bunch of simplistic formulas to memorize. While this may get a student through the test tomorrow it does nothing to further true mastery or comprehension of the material that will allow them to grow with mathematics or apply the material when presented differently than the author of this books presents it.

The thought that this book was suggested by my son's pre-algebra teacher makes me nauseated.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2010 9:42 AM PST