Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Profile for Georgia > Reviews

Browse

Georgia's Profile

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Georgia RSS Feed (ASPEN, CO, United States)

Page: 1 | 2
One Day I Will Write About This Place: A Memoir
One Day I Will Write About This Place: A Memoir
by Binyavanga Wainaina
Price: $18.09
81 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Another stunning book on Africa, July 20, 2011
I have been reading African Literature since the 60's. No book has impressed me as much as this one for its insight into issues that are really happening in East and South Africa. And the use of language by Binj excites me. He is a breath of fresh air when it comes to his description of things personal and in general as well. Read this book, relish the view of Africa that is not at all affected by the Colonial Powers, that is instead a reading from the ground. It is original and it is just fun to read. The descriptions of his growing up in Nakuru, Kenya are priceless. His time getting an "real" education, not university driven. in South Africa shows the power of street smarts. This man is demonstrating the range of his very creative intellect through his experiences. He is a writer to watch in this ignored field of African Literature, just like his friend Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. You want insight into Africa, read both of these authors and see where the new generation of African writers is taking us. Those of you who love the memoirs of Wole Soyinka will be thrilled by Binj and Chimamanda.

Africa is such a deep place if you want to learn more about this incredible landscape you must read Soyinka, Ngugi, Senghor, Achebe, Gordimer, Coetzee, Mphahlele, Ngozi and Wainaina. Now you will have scratched the surface of this place that so many of us would like to spend our days learning more. Good luck discovering a view of Africa unaffected by Europe or America.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 15, 2011 5:20 PM PDT

At Canaan's Edge: America in the King Years, 1965-68
At Canaan's Edge: America in the King Years, 1965-68
by Taylor Branch
Price: $15.31
160 used & new from $2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Tea Party primer, July 24, 2010
Noting how the extreme right wing (Palin, Beck, Limbaugh and Fox News) are calling the President and the NAACP racist. I have a reading for them. Taylor Branch's seminal study on the Civil Rights Movement in the US. If they read them ( and I would hope they could or would) they will realize their lilly white Tea Party Movement is on the wrong side of history. More on the side that believes if you tell a lie often enough some might believe it. By the way (for students of Beck University) the three volume study is in paperback.

Bamako
Bamako
DVD ~ Tiecoura Traore, Maimouna Helene Diarra Aissa Maiga
Price: $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Globalization???, July 18, 2008
This review is from: Bamako (DVD)
I waited for two years to order and then see this dvd. The wait was well worth it because it is such a primer to the subject that you hear about so much vis a vie Africa. Watching this mock trial on Globalization and its local impact is a lesson that we need to learn. I recommend this dvd to schools and teachers everywhere who are trying to get kids to understand the impact on the world of the World Bank, the IMF and all the other problems that we as Westerners have imposed on the Third World. This is a fascinating look at this problem and it is very well done. I Highly recommend this film.

To Timbuktu for a Haircut: A Journey Through West Africa
To Timbuktu for a Haircut: A Journey Through West Africa
by Rick Antonson
21 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A trip I would like to duplicate., July 18, 2008
Reading Rick Antonson's book on Mali took be back to 2006 and my quick trip through Mali. Having visited many of the places that Rick featured it was a great experience to witness someone who had been there before me.
As a travel book I believe it to be superb and a great way to feel Mali.
And lo and behold he loved the same things about the places - Mopti, Dogon, Timbuktu and Essakane - that I came to treasure. He writes very well, he experiences the real feel of the Niger River area, he captures you into his journey. And the two things that he loved most about Mali, that is Timbuktu and its manuscripts and Le Pays Dogon; his time in both locations will send me on a return trip to Mali to further experience that remarkable country. This book on Africa is as close to a real guide as anything written by Paul Theroux or investigated by Lonely Planet. I so enjoyed this book.

Half of a Yellow Sun
Half of a Yellow Sun
by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Price: $9.49
213 used & new from $4.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Nigeria: Historical framework in a novel, November 10, 2007
This review is from: Half of a Yellow Sun (Paperback)
In the 60's I read Chinua Achebe's great novel Things Fall Apart. This summer I read Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's Half of a Yellow Sun and I had to reread Things Fall Apart just because of the juxtoposition of the two. Not until I met the author did I realize what a close connection the two novels have in Nigerian history. Both books would be my choice if I were to teach a course on African Literature because they reveal so much of the real divisions that Europe's impact on Africa has had. Chimamanda's book is such a complete and fulfilling read, that it astounded me. This book is written by a very young person with an insight and scope that just amazed me. She has an old soul. And she is a real story teller with an incredible gift that we are lucky to witness.
Read this book and then read her Purple Hibiscus and see if out of the continent of Africa does not come a brillant world writer. And English Literature teachers should be aware that this novel is a great candidate for your readers. It has been years since I have read a book of this quality.

Andy HansonThings Fall Apart: A Novel

Conversations With Ogotemmeli: An Introduction to Dogon Religious Ideas
Conversations With Ogotemmeli: An Introduction to Dogon Religious Ideas
by Marcel Griaule
Price: $42.46
50 used & new from $10.40

5.0 out of 5 stars The book that sent me to Pays Dogon (Dogon Country), May 14, 2007
Many years ago a colleague in African Studies told me to buy this book. It had just been published in English, Griaule was dead and my study of Africa has just begun. After reading it I wanted so badly to visit the Dogon who seemed at the pinnacle of African cultures. Realizing that the French were fascinated by the Dogon and after visiting galleries all of the French Quarter in Paris viewing Dogon art. My obsession to visit Pays Dogon nerer went away. I did not get to visit Dogon Country until 2006 for a quick tour on my way to the Festival of the Desert near Timbuktu. What I found was just as stimulating as I had suspected, a group of people still surviving amidst huge change living on the escarpment as before. Islam has nearly taken over, but parts of the culture still remain and the charm of their cosomology still can be found for the person who studies the Dogon langusge. Out of Africa comes the most surprising information about how they lived. Of all the cultures of Africa I have looked at or lived in, this culture stands out and needs further investigation. The Pale Fox is a good place to start after Ogotmmeli. The Dogon and the Tellem are very mysterious cultures

that need further study. But better yet, go live there and figure out the mystery of their attraction. Andy Hanson

Festival in the Desert
Festival in the Desert
19 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Festival of the Desert 2006, April 20, 2006
This review is from: Festival in the Desert (Audio CD)
Just returned, in January, from the latest edition of the Festival au Desert. The music was not as good as this album, but the experience of being at the most exotic music festival in the world certainly made up for it. The highlights, this year, were Habib Koite, an Irish traditonal band and the many lesser known Taureg bands that played throughout the three days. But I was introduced, via tape, to Tinariwen and I had gone hoping to catch Ali Farka Toure at the festival. Listening to this album has really taken me back to Essakane and the Sahara. It is truely a jewel of a cd, capturing some great perfomances by Lo Jo, Robert Plant, Tinariwen, Ali Farka Toure, and a Native American band called Blackfire. Great recording made out in the desert and a true treasure of Malian, Saharan, and other world music. I count it as a top five pick of recent African music.

Amassakoul
Amassakoul
22 used & new from $2.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Electric Tuareg, February 4, 2006
This review is from: Amassakoul (Audio CD)
Recently attended the latest Festival au Desert near Timbuktu. The last night of the event we had to leave early to catch a plane. We got in our van and proceeded across the dunes to Timbuktu. Our driver, Aly Araouani put on a tape of Tuareg music which played and replayed through the night as we traversed from the site to our plane, through the town of Timbuktu, across the Niger River and south through the semi desert towards our destination. Over and over through the moonlight night and into the dawn we listened to the tape. When we arrived in Mopti I asked Aly whether he had a copy of that tape and he pulled one out of his pocket. When we returned to home I treasured the music and went to get it rerecorded. While surfing for Tuareg music I discovered the tape is Tinariwen's latest released called Amassakoul. Yes I have ordered it, but imagine my surprise when I sampled this cd. Listening and transported back to the hurried drive out of the festival it recreated for me the magic of that long trip. Aly had given me the jewel of Tuareg music. This album captures the beauty of the 'blue people' and as popular music has great rifts and fine catchy melodies. In my continuing search for great world music this set of songs tops my list.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 19, 2012 8:50 PM PDT

Conversations with Ogotemmêli: An introduction to Dogon religious ideas
Conversations with Ogotemmêli: An introduction to Dogon religious ideas
by Marcel Griaule
Edition: Unknown Binding

5.0 out of 5 stars Pays Dogon, November 27, 2005
This book came into my possession not long after it was published in English, mid 1960's. An African scholar turned me onto the book because of my interest in West African studies. It is, in my opinion one of the seminal books on African ethnology. Its author, Marcel Griaule, one of the most famous of the continent. For anyone visiting Mali and the Dogon people it is considered to be must reading. Ogotemmeli was chosen by the elders of the Dogon to talk to this French ethnographer and reveal much of the cosmology and belief systems. Griaule in conversations over 36 days, Ogotemmeli reveals a rich history of a people who were able to not give in to the push of Islam in that region. The animistic beliefs of the Dogon are worth studing because they reveal such complexities of the human spirit. Traverse into this world and you will not want to leave. In my view this is the most important book I own.

On a side note, because of my life long interest in the Dogon and their art I travel to Mopti and Timbuktu and Pays Dogon this January (2006)

The Frontier Years: L. A. Huffman, Photographer of the Plains
The Frontier Years: L. A. Huffman, Photographer of the Plains
by Mark H. Brown
21 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Frontier Photographer, October 25, 2004
Mark Brown wrote two books on L.A.Huffman, The Frontier Years and Before Barb Wire. These books exemplify the collection of glass plate negatives that survived in Miles City, Montana for many years. Now, I believe, the collection resides in Bozeman, Mt.

L.A. Huffman covered the post Custer debacle time, the end of the Plains Indian, the end of the Buffalo, the coming of the railroad and the coming of herds of cattle and sheep to Eastern Montana. He was the post photographer at Ft. Keogh out side of Miles City for a time, he later set up shop in Miles City and continue to shoot shots around the region, including some fairly good stuff from Yellowstone National Park.

Mr. Brown's two books serve the collection well, presenting most of the good shots of the era, with some background as to how they were collected. Copies of these books are hard to find and expensive. But if you put an add in the Miles City Star you might luck out and find one.

For anyone interested in this period of Western History, these are essential. My favorite shots are the great studies of the Northern Cheyenne people that Huffman took. And the end of the buffalo is well captured because Huffman liked to hunt as well and comes up with some real astounding prairie vistas.

My copies of these Huffman books have disappeared and I am on the hunt as well.

Page: 1 | 2