Profile for Robert Cozzi > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 82

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert Cozzi RSS Feed (North Aurora, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
GoPro Camera ADVFR-301 HERO3+ Dive Filter for Dive Housing (RED)
GoPro Camera ADVFR-301 HERO3+ Dive Filter for Dive Housing (RED)
Price: $69.99
4 used & new from $69.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for shallow water snorkeling but okay for diving., November 25, 2014
Doesn't really work in non-diving situations. It is a 'dive filter' so I suppose I shouldn't have expected much. I purchased it to use in the Bahamas at shallow depths (up to 15 feet) At up to 10 feet you get a rich, red hew to your video with the filter, and a dull, greanish blah color without--all in all GoPro isn't great for underwater (snorkeling) but it's great above water and with this filter probably okay for deeper water dives.

Nikon D750 FX-format Digital SLR Camera Body
Nikon D750 FX-format Digital SLR Camera Body
Price: $2,296.95
39 used & new from $1,914.39

4.0 out of 5 stars You will love it as a new camera, not so different from D610 as to justify a replacement purchase., September 26, 2014
Already received it and here's my initial take on it.
Basically it IS a D610 with a new name and a handful of refinements.
It has a new Expeed 4 processor in it which is supposed to be faster than the D610, however I see no differences in start up, menu response time, or menu navigation improvements. So the faster CPU isn't impacting the user-experience with the software in the camera.
The Tilt screen is nice, but there is no LCD protective cover included with the camera. This is my first Nikon that did not include one. Maybe due to the design of the flippy LCD? I think this could be an issue down the road unless the type of glass covering the LCD is made out of diamond or similar. <g>
The Focus points are better but are clustered together in the middle of the screen just like (but not as tight as) the D600/D610 and your average DX camera. This is very odd and probably done on purpose to put us in our place.

The grip is new. It is deeper and I like it a lot. I grabbed my D610 and D90 to compare and the D750 grip was the best of them. Although there are some more angular corners on parts of it that some may not enjoy, but other previous sharp points on the camera (from the D610) have been rounded nicely. [UPDATE: The more I use it, the more I dislike the part of the grip under the heal of the thumb--it is part of the SD card door and really "sticks out" compared to prior Nikon models--a bit too pointy in my opinion.]

There is no little plastic cover for the "hot shoe" that has been in every camera I've ever owned. This one is either missing or they just don't offer it. So I pulled the one from the D90 and will use it. [UPDATE: The hot shoe cover is not included for some dumb reason.]

[UPDATE: The menu system is similar to D6xx however, the Timelapse option is moved to the new MOVIE menu. In addition the name of Movie files (at least the prefix of them) has an option to change the first 3 letters. So I tried to change it to VID instead of DSC and was able to type in the VID letters however the "geniuses" at Nikon did not include a way to actually save that change, so it always reverts back to DSC.
[UPDATE: I have detected no fewer than 3 software issues which will need to be corrected via Firmware update when Nikon realizes and fixes these issues. I've spoke with Nikon on them. Those three software defects are: (1) as mentioned above, the naming on the Video files reverts back to the DSC prefix. (2) The camera needed the have the battery removed to power it off after leaving sit for a lengthy duration (about 40+ minutes) of non-use. (3) The message when an SD card is locked and can't be used by the camera is ambiguous at best. NONE OF THESE are show-stoppers and shouldn't influence your decision making. ]

[UPDATE: I shot a dozen pictures of my wife on Ch (continuous high 6.5 fps) as she walked down the stairs at home. I used the Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens. Of the 12 shots, 4 were in focus. So the new AF wile "new" isn't much better than what you had with the D610. Just marketing BS.

[UPDATE: I took it out in "my" environment and shot several nature photos. The autofocus was very accurate, more so than those I shot indoors. In fact, sandhill cranes taking off were continuously in focus. The pixel-peeper 100% zoom in on photos as higher ISO setting (about 640) do not have noise at all, but instead the "noise" pixels seem to be white. My wife commented that the photos at 100% zoom looked "dusty" but you don't publish 100% zoom typically. I'm not sure if I like this or not, but it may just be that it is different (from the D610 that I also own).]

Oh, and the photos look great right out of the box, maybe a subjective tad better than the D610 but I can't be sure, but certainly not enough to warrant a D750 over the D610.
[UPDATE: Test shots taken with my D610 and D750 using the same lens (Nikkor 50mm 1.4G) same camera setting and same everything showed the following:
Focus on D750 was MUCH more accurate than D610.
Colors on D750 were brighter due to D750 seeming always shooting brighter images (this seems to always happen with new nikons until the first firmware update).
The detail at 100% was subjectively different. The D750 showed more detail near the focus area than D610. But again, that "dusty" look is new for me. Perhaps someone with more experience can clarify what this may be. I could just be a perspective issue.]

Bottom line: If you have a D610, enjoy it, this is pretty much the same thing but with a few refinements and a flippy LCD.
If you are considering this vs D610, get the D750. If you're thinking about a D7100 vs D750, get this one.
It is a great camera, great quality but does have some (in my view) missing pieces. [UPDATE: My recommendation to get the D750 hasn't changed, so those who replied to this review with an attitudes that my recommendation was to the contrary, apparently can't read.]
Comment Comments (16) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 25, 2014 12:49 PM PST

Giottos AA1910 Medium Rocket Air Blaster (6.6)
Giottos AA1910 Medium Rocket Air Blaster (6.6)
Price: $8.85
16 used & new from $7.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice and very popular., September 9, 2014
So good I ordered 2 more for my wife and nephew who were "borrowing" mine.

HGST Deskstar 3.5-Inch 4TB 7200 RPM SATA III 6Gbps 64MB Cache Internal Hard Drive (0F14681) (HDS724040ALE640)
Offered by Oceanside Store
Price: $176.76
12 used & new from $149.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi capacity and great value, September 9, 2014
I ordered 5 of these things for an Addonics RAID5 device I also ordered (empty). Plugged them in and they're working just fine. Love the fact that I get 20TB in just 5 drives.

illy Caffe Scuro Whole Bean Coffee (Dark Roast Black Label) 8.8 coffee cans (Pack of 6)
Offered by TheNewMall
Price: $72.71
11 used & new from $72.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee, High Price, Fast Delivery -- What's not to like, September 9, 2014
Always great coffee and now comes faster than ever!

New Balance Men's MWM756v2 Country Walking Shoe,Brown,11 D US
New Balance Men's MWM756v2 Country Walking Shoe,Brown,11 D US
Price: $47.61
3 used & new from $47.12

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to report on the quality, but New Balance ..., August 17, 2014
Difficult to report on the quality, but New Balance shoes seems to have taken on a "smaller is better" sizing policy. every pair I've tried is too small.

Nikon 50mm f/1.4G SIC SW Prime AF-S Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Nikon 50mm f/1.4G SIC SW Prime AF-S Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Price: $419.00
49 used & new from $330.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice sharpness, great image quality, July 20, 2014
Nothing wrong with this lens. This and the 35mm are the perfect set.

O'Neill Wetsuits Men's Reactor Reef 2mm Boot (Black/Pacific, Size - 11)
O'Neill Wetsuits Men's Reactor Reef 2mm Boot (Black/Pacific, Size - 11)
Price: $33.94
2 used & new from $29.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, but don't seem like it., July 2, 2014
Better than expected. At first I thought they seemed a bit "light" for a 3mm reef boot (and they are) but in use in the ocean for a week, they proved themselves very well made and durable.

Milwaukee 2453-20 M12 FUEL 1/4" Hex Impact Driver
Milwaukee 2453-20 M12 FUEL 1/4" Hex Impact Driver
Offered by Protools.Inc
Price: $135.00
2 used & new from $129.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best 12v Driver for the money, May 15, 2014
I have several M12 (Milwaukee M12) class of tools. I also own the 18v version of this one. The specs were impressive nearly 18v torq in a M12 package. So I got it. The drill doesn't disappoint. There is an issue with a small metal plate at the end of the battery compartment--it keeps falling off--which I have never seen in M12 tools before. I was tempted to send it back, but instead I simply put a little plumbers puddy on the housing and pushed it back in and its been fine since.
Great torque very good ergonomics.
This model is about 1 year newer than my prior tools, and they've made a change where the LED light comes on for about 30 seconds when the battery is initially inserted and also stays on for a similar length after each use. At first I thought this unit was wired wrong, but then I recalled wishing the light would stay on, on my other M12 tools in past uses, so this is probably a customer-driven enhancement.
Overall, very useful for just about any application.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 4, 2014 2:10 AM PDT

Manfrotto MTPIXI-WH PIXI Mini Tripod (White)
Manfrotto MTPIXI-WH PIXI Mini Tripod (White)
Offered by Cambridgeworld
Price: $20.88
18 used & new from $15.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy Good!, May 12, 2014
This is the first small tripod I've used that can literally hold my Nikon D610 with its 28-300mm lens--now that's heavy. This thing is rock sold, light weight and easy to use. Get one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9