Profile for Robert Cozzi > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 89

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Robert Cozzi RSS Feed (North Aurora, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Neewer 40m 130ft Underwater PC Housing Camera Waterproof Case for Sony A6000 with 16-50mm Lens
Price: $171.33
8 used & new from $166.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Waterproof housing, great experience using it., March 25, 2015
Used it in the Bahamas last month to test it out. Only snorkeled with it, no diving yet but planning that next month.
I had to use some extra silicon grease that I had from another waterproof housing to seal the o-ring--important to do that for long-term use.
Aside from it not including the grease, everything worked very well. The photos underwater are (in my view) substantially better than with my GoPro camera. I've attached a few images to this review, obviously taken with the sony a6000 and the Neewer underwater housing.
A few tips:
1) Turn up the LCD brightness as far as it will go BEFORE placing the camera into the dive housing. Otherwise you won't be able to see an image on it underwater.
2) Use a Q-Tip to grease up the o-ring at last once per trip (week's vacation) to keep it water tight.
3) Store the unit in open/un-locked position to allow it to dry and avoid humidity build up between use.
4) Auto-focus underwater can be obscured, so take several shots of each object to insure you get a good, clear image.
5) The lens cover for the underwater unit gets in the frame every so often. So be aware of that, and maybe secure it somehow beforehand; or remove its tether entirely (as I did). The only thing its good for is protecting the glass from scratches while you're out of the water--so you don't need it while in the water. Just put it back on when you store the unit.

Using the housing underwater and attempting to change and control your camera settings is possible but challenging, so don't expect to be able to quickly change settings, except the zoom--that works normally and is easy to do.

Lastly, when installing the a6000 into the Neewer, it may not seem like its gone in all the way. It fits "close" and then the cover has to be closed "just right" but it only takes a minute to figure out these nuances and you'll become an expert.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2015 8:05 PM PDT

TurboTax Premier 2014 Fed + State + Fed Efile Tax Software + Refund Bonus Offer
TurboTax Premier 2014 Fed + State + Fed Efile Tax Software + Refund Bonus Offer

2.0 out of 5 stars Worst version ever, March 15, 2015
I've used TurboTax for over a decade. This is by far, the worst version and poorest user interface ever. It is so bad, that I will probably end up going online to so called 'free tax' sites, and do the taxes that way. Very disappointing when you're prompted through a series of questions only to realize they're trying to upsell you to the next level of TurboTax software. Nothing to do with your specific return. Likewise, the old way of fill in a form-style entry panel that's been greatly simplified, is not a seemingly endless series of prompts and "next" buttons that leave you wanting to through the PC out the window.

Sony a6000 ILCE6000LW ILCE-6000L/W ILCE6000 Alpha a6000 24.3 Interchangeable Lens Camera with 16-50mm Power Zoom Lens BUNDLE with SEL 55-210 (White), Sony 32GB Class 10 Card, Spare Battery, Deluxe Digpro Case, DVD SLR Guide, SD Reader, Beachcamera Cloth
Offered by Beach Camera Same Day Shipping
Price: $796.00
3 used & new from $796.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great format, but some shortcomings., February 8, 2015
This camera can replace and DX (APS-C) format DSLR you may have. Image quality is as good as and Nikon DX or Canon APS-C format cameras. The included 16 to 50mm lens is a great all around lens, although image quality isn't a sharp as other more traditional lenses on DLSR cameras. I sold my Nikon D90 and D610 which were my "backup" cameras and now use the a6000 and Nikon D750 exclusively.

The bad news about this camera is that it doesn't pull the detail in the shadows like a DSLR would. I'm assuming that is due to the lens and not the camera--but I don't know. Unlike the lower priced NEX-x cameras from Sony, on which this camera is based, no touch screen is provided. This is a major shortcoming especially when trying to select the focus spot with the LCD and dial. Even my $150 Canon powershot has touch screen.

The SD memory card is stored in the battery compartment and is VERY difficult to remove.
Also charging the battery in the camera is the only vendor-supplied way to charge it, but it requires the Sony USB cable and charger that comes with the camera. Even though it is USB style it is not a regular USB cable and regular USB cables cannot be used to charge the camera--a lesson I learned on a trip recently. So pick up a stand-alone charger on Amazon for $24 or so--and throw out that Sony's proprietary cable and get use to using the 3rd party stand-alone charger or the day you loose the cable you'll be sorry.

Inside, low light is an issue for the camera. Not as good a most other new model cameras. Outdoor in brightly lit conditions it is fantastic. Indoors I use the great built-in flash and that helps a lot and if it had not been included, the camera would have been returned.

Recommendations? I would suggest the next version of the model will include a touch screen and perhaps the charging design will be made more normal. But if you have an extra $600 to $800 and want a mirrorless camera of this size, its the one to get. Why? because the lenses are interchangeable and not fixed on the camera like the half-hearted attempt that Nikon did with the Coolpix-A camera.

Nikon LF-4 Rear Lens Cap
Nikon LF-4 Rear Lens Cap
Price: $3.47
8 used & new from $3.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Rear Cap, December 29, 2014
Best rear lens cap made for NIKON lenses. I've purchased several to replace the original/legacy Nikon rear cap on some of my older lenses. This one is just more ergonomically designed.

Nest T200577 2nd Generation Learning Thermostat
Nest T200577 2nd Generation Learning Thermostat
Price: $249.00
43 used & new from $185.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Nest, December 29, 2014
So far no issues which I thought I'd have after reading some reviews. This 2nd generation is different from the 1st--it works fine. I got two of them, one for my mother's home and one for my home. I can control both from my iPad and mom enjoys the little messages they post on the device indicating what's going on.

A great tip is the following:
When replacing your existing thermostat with a NEST, after removing the old thermostat cover, take a photo with you phone or whatever, of the current wire attachments. Then use that on the NEST site to have it build an image of how to reconnect those same wires to the NEST. The website works great for this purpose.

Nikon BS-1 Hot-shoe Protection Cap for Nikon D7000, D3100, D90, D5000 and Coolpix P7000 Digital Cameras
Offered by PhotoCraft
Price: $2.99
11 used & new from $0.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Saved my Nikon D750, December 29, 2014
Ordered this for my Nikon D750 which is the first Nikon that doesn't come with a hot-shoe protection cap. Very odd in deed, but fortunately this extremely well made and low cost item was available to solve this issue.

Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow: My Life
Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow: My Life
by Sophia Loren
Price: $20.97
103 used & new from $8.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for an fan of Sophia, December 29, 2014
Great book. Got it for my wife and read it myself too. Loved the stories of her life and loves.

GoPro Camera ADVFR-301 HERO3+ Dive Filter for Dive Housing (RED)
GoPro Camera ADVFR-301 HERO3+ Dive Filter for Dive Housing (RED)
Price: $69.99
6 used & new from $61.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for shallow water snorkeling but okay for diving., November 25, 2014
Doesn't really work in non-diving situations. It is a 'dive filter' so I suppose I shouldn't have expected much. I purchased it to use in the Bahamas at shallow depths (up to 15 feet) At up to 10 feet you get a rich, red hew to your video with the filter, and a dull, greanish blah color without--all in all GoPro isn't great for underwater (snorkeling) but it's great above water and with this filter probably okay for deeper water dives.

Nikon D750 FX-format Digital SLR Camera Body
Nikon D750 FX-format Digital SLR Camera Body
Price: $1,996.95
27 used & new from $1,662.39

4.0 out of 5 stars You will love it as a new camera, not so different from D610 as to justify a replacement purchase., September 26, 2014
Already received it and here's my initial take on it.
Basically it IS a D610 with a new name and a handful of refinements.
It has a new Expeed 4 processor in it which is supposed to be faster than the D610, however I see no differences in start up, menu response time, or menu navigation improvements. So the faster CPU isn't impacting the user-experience with the software in the camera.
The Tilt screen is nice, but there is no LCD protective cover included with the camera. This is my first Nikon that did not include one. Maybe due to the design of the flippy LCD? I think this could be an issue down the road unless the type of glass covering the LCD is made out of diamond or similar. <g>
The Focus points are better but are clustered together in the middle of the screen just like (but not as tight as) the D600/D610 and your average DX camera. This is very odd and probably done on purpose to put us in our place.

The grip is new. It is deeper and I like it a lot. I grabbed my D610 and D90 to compare and the D750 grip was the best of them. Although there are some more angular corners on parts of it that some may not enjoy, but other previous sharp points on the camera (from the D610) have been rounded nicely. [UPDATE: The more I use it, the more I dislike the part of the grip under the heal of the thumb--it is part of the SD card door and really "sticks out" compared to prior Nikon models--a bit too pointy in my opinion.]

There is no little plastic cover for the "hot shoe" that has been in every camera I've ever owned. This one is either missing or they just don't offer it. So I pulled the one from the D90 and will use it. [UPDATE: The hot shoe cover is not included for some dumb reason.]

[UPDATE: The menu system is similar to D6xx however, the Timelapse option is moved to the new MOVIE menu. In addition the name of Movie files (at least the prefix of them) has an option to change the first 3 letters. So I tried to change it to VID instead of DSC and was able to type in the VID letters however the "geniuses" at Nikon did not include a way to actually save that change, so it always reverts back to DSC.
[UPDATE: I have detected no fewer than 3 software issues which will need to be corrected via Firmware update when Nikon realizes and fixes these issues. I've spoke with Nikon on them. Those three software defects are: (1) as mentioned above, the naming on the Video files reverts back to the DSC prefix. (2) The camera needed the have the battery removed to power it off after leaving sit for a lengthy duration (about 40+ minutes) of non-use. (3) The message when an SD card is locked and can't be used by the camera is ambiguous at best. NONE OF THESE are show-stoppers and shouldn't influence your decision making. ]

[UPDATE: I shot a dozen pictures of my wife on Ch (continuous high 6.5 fps) as she walked down the stairs at home. I used the Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens. Of the 12 shots, 4 were in focus. So the new AF wile "new" isn't much better than what you had with the D610. Just marketing BS.

[UPDATE: I took it out in "my" environment and shot several nature photos. The autofocus was very accurate, more so than those I shot indoors. In fact, sandhill cranes taking off were continuously in focus. The pixel-peeper 100% zoom in on photos as higher ISO setting (about 640) do not have noise at all, but instead the "noise" pixels seem to be white. My wife commented that the photos at 100% zoom looked "dusty" but you don't publish 100% zoom typically. I'm not sure if I like this or not, but it may just be that it is different (from the D610 that I also own).]

Oh, and the photos look great right out of the box, maybe a subjective tad better than the D610 but I can't be sure, but certainly not enough to warrant a D750 over the D610.

[UPDATE: Test shots taken with my D610 and D750 using the same lens (Nikkor 50mm 1.4G) same camera setting and same everything showed the following:
Focus on D750 was MUCH more accurate than D610.
Colors on D750 were brighter due to D750 seeming to always shooting brighter images (this seems to always happen with new nikons until the first firmware update).
The detail at 100% zoom/crop was subjectively different. The D750 showed more detail near the focus area than D610. But again, that "dusty" look is new for me. Perhaps someone with more experience can clarify what this may be. It could just be a perspective issue.]

Bottom line: If you have a D610, enjoy it, this is pretty much the same thing but with a few refinements and a flippy LCD.
If you are considering this vs D610, get the D750. If you're thinking about a D7100 vs D750, get this.
It is a great camera, great quality but does have some (in my view) missing pieces. [UPDATE: My recommendation to get the D750 hasn't changed, so those who replied to this review with an attitudes that my recommendation was to the contrary, apparently can't read.]

UPDATE: 26 March 2015: I have a "camera lockup" issue with the D750 and sent it to Nikon. Unfortunately for me, this was during the "Lens Flare" issue product recall period. My camera did not have the lens flare issue, however Nikon service performed the lens flare service request. Okay, fine... no harm. But (A) They did not resolve the lockup issue and (B) the splashed something on the lens causing at least a half dozen spots to appear (even at wider apertures). So I had to send it in a 2nd time. That time they did nothing but "clean the sensor" and return it. however, the spots remained. A 3rd trip to Nikon Service and a dozen or so emails and phone calls finally got them to restore the camera to "new working order' (i.e., "no spots") Again these were caused by something splashing on the sensor during the Lens Flare service, an issue I did not have with my camera. Bottom line, I'm very happy to have the camera back--I've been using other cameras and while the format is nicer (smaller) there is nothing quite as good as the D750 with good glass.
Comment Comments (17) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2014 2:49 PM PST

Giottos AA1910 Medium Rocket Air Blaster (6.6)
Giottos AA1910 Medium Rocket Air Blaster (6.6)
Price: $8.85
17 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice and very popular., September 9, 2014
So good I ordered 2 more for my wife and nephew who were "borrowing" mine.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9