Profile for Misfit > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 1105

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Misfit RSS Feed (Seattle, WA USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Time/Steps
Time/Steps
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, Kindle formatting is horrid, February 25, 2015
This review is from: Time/Steps (Kindle Edition)
"Bea could have gone to the theater twice a day every day. She loved it. Her special favorites were the Astaires, especially Fred. His dancing made her want to run up onto the stage and join him."

Time Steps is a rags-to-riches to Hollywood super star story. It starts pre-depression era and follows Bea's life, loves and tragedies into the 1970s (I think it was the 70s - it's been a week since I finished this). More than that, I really don't want to give much away. This is definitely a book for Hollywood glitz and glamor geeks (I'm a bit marginal on that), with tons of name dropping and scandals and plastic surgery that may or may not turn out so well.

"Well, at least the scene's in the can. I don't have to worry about showing the world my new cleavage anymore. At this rate, another ten minutes and they'll just explode off my chest."

Bottom line, for me is that while I liked Bea's character a lot, I'm just not that big of a geek for Hollywood that I was enthralled either. That's just me. I own the original MMPB with that gorgeous cover, but I ended up getting a Kindle copy via Kindle Unlimited, and the formatting for that new edition is so poor that I'm dropping a star off my rating. It was littered with page breaks where no page breaks should be, it was incredibly distracting. I borrowed it for free, but if I'd paid the asking price currently on the Amazon page, I'd be a pretty unhappy customer.

The Tiger Lily (The Southern Women Series, Book 1)
The Tiger Lily (The Southern Women Series, Book 1)
Price: $1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story, despite the Big Misunderstandings, February 25, 2015
"Both refused to think about the distasteful subject , and both thrust the ideas away as nonsense, but the seed had been planted, and they were hampered by their lack of trust in one another."

That pretty much sums it up for me. Girl meets boy, boy's been burned by women too many times to trust them, girl's evil-doing cousin stirs up more distrust and it all devolves into one long winded Big Misunderstanding. That said, I did enjoy the characters, especially oh-so-hunky Brett and I'll give Busbee extra points for writing a good smoking love scene without any embarrassing purple prose. Points lost for the big mis and a baddie that's way to easy to guess.

This is part of a series, but stands alone. From what I can gather from the synopsis for books one and three, those are the stories of two of Brett's good friends, and their stories are already 'told' and happily married before this book ends up.

Dead tree copy owned, kindle copy purchased on the $.99 special.

Clandara
Clandara
by Evelyn Anthony
4 used & new from $4.76

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent story, albeit a bit brutal and violent at times, February 25, 2015
This review is from: Clandara (Hardcover)
"The twelfth century was just beginning when the first of the Frasers built his great fortress at Clandara at the top of the sweeping hillside that overlooked Loch Ness."

Clandara is set in Scotland during the Jacobite rising of '45, and I won't go into that too much - you either already know your history and don't need another rehash, and those new to it are better off reading for themselves.

The story is focused on two clans with a long, bloody history of hatred and feuds, but that didn't stop James Alexander of the MacDonald clan falling head over heels with Katherine of Clan Fraser. They plan to marry, but things happen to tear the pair of lovers apart.

I won't say more, but while I enjoyed the story immensely, there isn't a likeable person in the lot, expect perhaps Katherine's maidservant Annie. I'd also caution potential readers that these Highlanders are a brutal, blood lot and the violence might be a bit much for the more squeamish readers.

Rapesco X5-90PS Less Effort Heavy Duty Stapler (1170)
Rapesco X5-90PS Less Effort Heavy Duty Stapler (1170)
Offered by Sell Lounge Inc.
Price: $21.99
5 used & new from $17.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome staple quality and with little muscle needed, February 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We peeps in accounting are staple snobs, they need to be neat, clean (no sharp edges for tearing of skin) and preferably effortless. We also do a wide variety of stapling tasks, from 2-4 pages up to 60+ pages (that's what the decades old Swingline heavy duty is for). Most of our larger reports are in the 30-40 page range, and this stapler is a perfect fit. A box of staples came in the box, and they're the shorter staples than what we have in the HD Swingline. Piece of cake to load them up and get stapling, and the only stapling tasks this hasn't been up to are the larger jobs that need a larger staple - and also a larger opening (mouth) to accommodate the stapling task. I.e. the Rapesco has an opening of about 1/2" (if there's a way to adjust the height, I haven't figured it out yet, and can't find it in the instructions) vs. the old Swingline that's about 1 1/2".

This stapler also does very nicely on smaller reports (say 5-10 pages) and finishes cleanly without any excess staple sticking out for hurt hands like would happen with the Swingline. We've been test driving this for about a week, with excellent results, the only time it has *failed* is when we've experimented with a staple job too large for this staple and/or the staples that came along with it.

Happy camper and happy stapler snob here.

Only Goodness Inside, Mg Clear Acne care lotion
Only Goodness Inside, Mg Clear Acne care lotion
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Working well so far for this adult acne, February 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
But...it isn't helping with the redness I have as much as I'd hoped for. Oh well. I do get the occasional breakout, and this product seems to be drying them up quite nicely, and I've only tested it on my adult skin - no teenagers around my household to test it on. The product does go on very dry (with a slight odor) and can be used as a topical treatment, or thinly spread as a mask of sorts for about ten minutes and then rinse and have a good moisturizer ready afterwards.

I think the packaging could be better designed, I'd prefer a pump so I can control how much comes out at one time - I either don't get enough and then I end up getting too much, and it is a fairly expensive skin product. I was also glad to find the instruction on the Amazon page, because the font color and background on the bottle were impossible for this oldster to read.

Swingline Stapler, Optima 40, Compact, Low Force, 40 Sheets, Black/Silver (S7087842)
Price: $19.86
7 used & new from $15.98

4.0 out of 5 stars The little stapler that could, February 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We staple a lot in accounting land, and we like nice clean staples and we like staplers that can handle 30-40 page reports - there are times when a report is too slim for the heavy duty stapler, but too much for the old dinosaur Swinglines we let the lads use. I was pleased to get a chance to try this one, but was a bit surprised at the tiny size when I took it out of the box. It's less than 5" in length and a little over 3" in height at the tallest end. That said, it does staple cleanly, with very little pressure needed, even on the larger reports. It doesn't take up much room, and will stand on end to take up even less room. Probably the only con I would see is because of the size of the stapler it can't hold an entire strip of staples like the larger models do.

We liked it so much my coworker asked to get one ordered up for her desk.

Eucerin Diabetics' Dry Skin Relief Body Lotion, 16.9 Ounce
Eucerin Diabetics' Dry Skin Relief Body Lotion, 16.9 Ounce
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I. Love. This. Lotion., February 1, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
That clear enough? I became of fan of Eucerin products after getting a shot at a couple of their products via Vine (thank you) - and I have purchased them when the first stuff ran out - it's that good. I really like the Eucerin Body Creme Eczema Relief, 8 oz., I keep a tube at home and at the office. Works great, but I do have that diabetes dry (especially in winter), and couldn't wait to try this one out. This lotion is much thinner and waterier than the Body Cream, but it absorbed rapidly and didn't feel greasy at all and my skin just soaked it up like a sponge after a long stint in the desert. And it lasts too, I don't feel the need to keep reapplying it over and over through the day. I know this isn't a face cream, but a bit of it on my face cuts back on the flakiness I get after putting some makeup on it.
The bottle this came in was a very generous sized (for the price) 16.9 oz, and I like the pump bottle instead of having to pick up a tube and squeeze some out.

Great product, and one I would purchase after this bottle is used up.

Fallene Cotz Flawless Complexion Spf 50, 2.5 Ounce
Fallene Cotz Flawless Complexion Spf 50, 2.5 Ounce
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $18.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Tinted sunscreen..., January 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I supposed it was my bad by not reading the entire product description on the Amazon page, the 'flawless complexion' led me to believe it was a facial moisturizer with sunscreen and not a sunscreen with some moisture to it. Two entirely different things in my world. Still, I did try it on my face - made it very shiny, and I washed it off. Not too bad on my arms, and the tint was a nice plus. It moisturized, but not what I'd want from just a moisturizer - wait...this is a sunscreen first, right? If I'd realized that I would not have requested the product. It's January in Seattle. Not much sun around here to test the SPF claims. Sorry.

I do notice another reviewer had some interesting comments on some of the ingredients in the product and worthwhile reading about them. YMMV and what you want and don't want in something you're putting on your skin or your children's skin.

Foster Grant Charlsie Women's Multifocus Glasses, Tortoise, 2.75
Foster Grant Charlsie Women's Multifocus Glasses, Tortoise, 2.75
Price: $34.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Rating on frames and pakaging only, January 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are too strong for me, and that is unfortunate, I was looking forward to giving these a try out. I use reading glasses, prescription, and when I get them I get the lenses with two tiers. My set are several years old, the eyes every more dependent on the readers, so I thought these would be a good 'fit' to try out, but unfortunately there was no choice in vision level (or whatever they call it), but my eyes being so bad I thought I'd win. Unfortunately, no. These are so strong (+2.75), and virtually everything is a blur. I cannot see a computer screen, and I can only read something it I hold it directly in front and look through the top of lens and I could read clearly. So...my rating is going to be only on the frames and the packaging since I can't judge the lenses themselves.

The glasses came in a padded envelope, and the glasses were inside in a plastic case would a big scoop out of the front part of the case - a little hard handling by the carrier and these could damaged quite easily. A micro-cleaning cloth is included (nice touch), but I didn't care much for the feel of it compared to other cloths I've purchased, the one side with Foster Grant in flashy silver lettering felt a bit on the rough side, and I wouldn't want those silver letters near any lens. The frames feel very sturdy, but almost too sturdy where the arms are screwed onto the base. I keep getting my fingers pinched, and I'm being careful of it - it would be worse if I was taking them off to nod off. There is also a case that comes with the glasses with more silvery Foster Grant style, but rather flimsy - I doubt the case would protect the glasses from rougher handling.

Thanks for the shot to try these out, I just wish it was a better fit for me :/

L'Oreal Paris Cosmetics Infallible Pro-Matte Powder, Nude Beige, 0.31 Ounce
L'Oreal Paris Cosmetics Infallible Pro-Matte Powder, Nude Beige, 0.31 Ounce
Price: $11.99
4 used & new from $11.75

4.0 out of 5 stars I like this a lot better than the powder I'm currently using, January 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't recall the brand, but since I'm cheap that way, I suspect it's a lower end product - so always fun to try something new thanks to Amazon Vine.

I like the packaging with the twin openings, one for the applicator pad and one for the powder itself. Takes up less room than the one I've been using that's flat and too thin to stand up on its own, or else it takes up too much room on the counter. This is a definite improvement.

As for the powder itself? Went on very smooth over my foundation, and I didn't get as much flaky dryness picking up afterwards like the other product. I'm not terribly oily skinned, but the foundation always feels a bit shiny and this helped to keep that feeling down for me. I did reapply it after a few hours, so as another reviewer noted this might not be an all-day type of twelve hour coverage kind of product. The coverage is good, and doesn't feel heavy on my face like I'm wearing war paint or something :p

Definitely a good product for its price range, and one I would recommend.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20