Profile for ProudmamaDivaJ > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 16

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

ProudmamaDivaJ RSS Feed (Greenville, SC)

Page: 1 | 2
Weigh Down Diet
Weigh Down Diet
by Gwen Shamblin
Price: $13.51
151 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars From a former Weigh Downer, November 3, 2009
This review is from: Weigh Down Diet (Paperback)
I joined a Weigh Down class after seeing how well a family member was doing on the program. The book has a small amount of practical advice on eating when you're physically hungry & stopping when satisfied but then the author goes off into wierdness. Gwen discourages excercise claiming exercise is only good for "toning" & that nothing is wrong with your metabolism because you are then considered "helping" God AND you should not "put yourself in bondage" to a workout program. After seeing contestants on "The Biggest Loser" & various talk shows & reading countless articles & testimonies from people who have turned their health & lives around by diet & exercise I would have to disagree. Furthermore, eating healthy foods is downplayed because then you are "putting your trust in the food" instead of God! So...the message conveyed by this author is: Eating healthy is distrusting God & all the diet rules & advice are man's solutions & therefore will not work. Well...I can testify that I have followed some of the practical diet rules years ago including exercise & have lost weight....I just did not keep it up. You just have to stick with what you are doing & not approach it as a temporary fix. Applying the info to change eating habits is good. Not so good: Discouragement of exercise or healthy eating. I'm not knocking turning to God for weight loss...I just think there is a better program than Weigh Down. I will be checking out "Thin Within."
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2012 4:02 PM PDT

The Last Dragon
The Last Dragon
DVD ~ Taimak
Price: $5.00
100 used & new from $1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars This was a "Sho-nuff" good little film!, November 14, 2006
This review is from: The Last Dragon (DVD)
I saw this movie @ least twice in 1985....not too groudbreaking but fun anyway! The dialogue & plot were corny but a lot of 80's movies were corny, sometimes corny can be good nowadays! Vanity's acting was a little thin for me but this was not a dramatic movie. Despite all the cheesiness it's a fun film & family friendly except for some of the scenes between Leroy & that scary Shonuff (Sho-nuff???? Hilarious!) & My 7 year old son gets a kick out of it as well as my 2 nephews. So glad this is out on dvd. The clothing, music, & dancing take me back to a fun time in my life. The picture quality does leave a lot to be desired but this is an older movie. I always enjoyed watching Taimak but he looks absolutely, jaw droppingly awesome now; 20+ years later!!! Check out his website!

Juice
Juice
DVD ~ Omar Epps
Offered by Shop Zoombie
Price: $12.99
106 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Not just any old gangbangers in the hood film......, September 18, 2006
This review is from: Juice (DVD)
When I first saw this movie I'd barely heard of Tupac Shakur, but his acting in this movie gave me chills....even today....it still does, because the brother had mad talent. The movie starts out kind of slow but picks up once Bishop starts acting a fool. That part where Bishop express how he felt about himself therefore didn't care about anyone else. Sad to say, but I think that's the mindset of most of these idiots out here perpetuating the violence & for me....well...this film really makes me think & realize how blessed I am. One day I'll let my son watch this movie & let him know this is not the way to live. Juice is hard hitting, grimy, dark and just......REAL. This movie helped my see Tupac as more than just a rapper. (RIP)

Michael Jackson: The Man behind the Mask
Michael Jackson: The Man behind the Mask
by Stacy Brown
59 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Michael Jackson....sad, sick, pitiful....etc, etc....., August 7, 2006
I was a fan of Michael Jackson's since I was 5 so imagine my increasingly mixed feelings regarding the many bizarre changes I observed over the years. The auther confirmed my gut feelings regarding Michael's disdain for his own race. It's unfortunate, pitiful, & very, very sad. I've seen him grow from a cute cheeked adorable little boy to an inhuman-looking wizened freak because of childhood trauma & self hatred. My mom says he looks like a "dough-face." This man used to be the biggest pop music sensation in the world, but he got so caught up in being recognized as "royalty" that he turned himself into something I can't even fathom. The only reason I did not give this 5 stars is because it was a little too short. So sad, because he was a talented individual, but it seems that all that talent went down the drain because he got so caught up in his own celebrity & self glorification. As for him hating his own race...pitiful. Apparently Mr. Jackson has never heard of karma, or doesn't care.

Peter Cox
Peter Cox
10 used & new from $14.83

5.0 out of 5 stars This man's voice is wonderful!, April 18, 2006
This review is from: Peter Cox (Audio CD)
I had always been a fan of Go West because of Peter Cox's voice, so imagine my delight when I found out he had come out with a solo release. I received the cd in the mail & was very impressed. My favorite cuts are I'll Be Good to You, Tender Heart & Enemy. Ain't Gonna Cry Again sounds full of anger, especially the line: "Take your heart (?) & go to hell" (whew!) They Whisper to Me is hauntingly beautiful. Just My Imagination is a very good remake. I cannot understand why he has not received more airplay here in the U.S; American radio...I just don't understand. Peter Cox has one of the best voices I have every heard; his singing is warm, emotional, powerful, tender, passionate, & sincere and....oh yes...sexy !(Well, for me anyway :-)) I personally give this cd five stars. I have enjoyed his singing since Go West & it just gets better.

Healthy Black Hair: Step-by-Step Instructions for Growing Longer, Stronger Hair
Healthy Black Hair: Step-by-Step Instructions for Growing Longer, Stronger Hair
by Nicole Smith
Price: $11.97
25 used & new from $3.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, December 13, 2005
I purchased this book during late spring 2005 when I was dying to find an easier way to deal with this thick stuff on my head. :-) I loved the chapter on giving your hair an extended break for maximum hair growth....I followed her suggestions & got my hair done in African Curly Twists; as opposed to braids. I wore my hair that way from June 1 2005 until September 29th (I got it redone mid July) & my hair practically grew like weeds....@ least 2 1/2 to 3 inches in some places! I love her suggestions on extra conditioning (more than once a week) & massaging with essential oils. Now I have even more thick, healthy feeling stuff on my head & I'm lovin' it! Get the book. :-)

Madagascar (Widescreen Edition)
Madagascar (Widescreen Edition)
DVD ~ Chris Rock
Price: $9.41
305 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars I would have never seen this enjoyable little movie if it wasn't for my 3 1/2 yr old!, November 29, 2005
I had to buy this movie for my son; he is absolutely crazy about it! He'd seen it before it came out on DVD; I wasn't too impressed by the advertisements, but once I'd seen it I really enjoyed it...but in my opinion the pengiuns & the (absolutely clueless!) King Julien stole the show! My son could watch this all day long...my favorite parts of the DVD was the Penguin Christmas feature & the "I Like to Move It, Move it" video! (Hey, couldn't help it; the music's catchy!)

Tae-Bo Workout (SET OF 4: Basic, Instructional, Advanced, 8-minute Workout) [VHS]
VHS
Offered by Cee4our
Price: $35.00
56 used & new from $4.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Whoa!, October 25, 2005
I ordered my first set of Taebo tapes when Billy Blanks' first infomercial came out. I started out with the Instructional tape; it is kind of tedious but necessary in order to get the moves down pat. I then started with the Basic workout, which was fun. One day I decided I was going to try the Advanced workout, but when I took one look at how fast Mr Blanks and everyone else was moving in the warmup; I sat down with my mouth hangin' open & thought "Billy Blanks is truly out of his mind," then did the Basic. Next time I actually did the Advanced, and.....GOOD GRACIOUS ALIVE!!!! I was sore & achin' right down to my toes! But know what? It was still FUN! My tummy went down in no time flat after doing the workout a few times, every time I do Taebo I feel so energized; then at night I sleep like a rock! Mr Blanks is such an inspirational person with a beautiful spirit. You can tell his heart is in this.

And for those who have complained about his workouts being unsafe, the instructional video is to teach the correct techniques so that you don't hurt yourself, so if you don't take the time to learn what you're supposed to then you only have yourself to blame....Billy explicitly states in that video to listen to everything he has to tell you...my advice is this: don't be hardheaded...practice the instructional tape; it contains advice that is absolutely necessary to heed!

Jamaica Me S'wet
Jamaica Me S'wet
DVD ~ Michelle LeMay
2 used & new from $15.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Great workout!, October 25, 2005
This review is from: Jamaica Me S'wet (DVD)
I first ordered this workout from a BET advertisement because I am a reggae fan. I love the warm-up & the dances in the different sections; my favorite move is the fly away. Michelle is so "perky" that you can do this workout at 5am & still start smiling because of her cheerfulness; there's even a part where she forgot what step she was supposed to be doing & she just played it off, smiled, & kept it movin'! I love the cooldown...everything about this workout just worked for me. I still have the bonus cd with the music. I'm surprised that I still have that copy because I've just about wore that baby out!

My First LeapPad Learning System - Blue
My First LeapPad Learning System - Blue
20 used & new from $21.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfully entertaining educational toy, March 2, 2005
I have a 2 1/2 year old & he plays with his LeapPad for hours! He loves the letters game & sings along with the music! In my opinion this was the best $15.00 I spent so far for my son! ( I got it during an after Thanksgiving sale!)

Page: 1 | 2