Profile for SCOTUS fan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

SCOTUS fan "Supreme Court junkie" RSS Feed (Pennsylvania)

Page: 1 | 2
Fatty Patty (The James Bay Novels #1)
Fatty Patty (The James Bay Novels #1)
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A light read that actually says a lot, September 29, 2013
I am happy to have found this author. I liked that the book was readable and light but also thought-provoking. The themes: self-acceptance, self-motivated excellence, self-examination, and reflection. I thought Patty was a fun character, and I liked that the story line about the new fifth-grader teacher developed and surprised.

A very enjoyable read that I'll remember.

Allergy-Friendly Food for Families: 120 Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Egg-Free, and Soy-Free Recipes Everyone Will Enjoy
by Editors of Kiwi Magazine
Price: $18.96
93 used & new from $2.17

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great cookbook!, April 12, 2012
As a mom who wants her kids to eat healthy foods but avoid allergens, I think this is one of the best books to come along in a long time. It has recipes for lunch, dinner, and the all-important breakfast (goodness knows how hard it is to come up with something easy and fun and healthy to start the day off right), plus lots of great ideas for things like cupcakes for a nut-free classroom.

Another great feature? The photos! They are bright and colorful and make the food look yummy. My kids have actually pointed at some of them and asked to help me make a recipe - huge bonus, as the recipes are for food I want my kids to eat.

Another think I really like about the book is that it was put together by the editors of Kiwi magazine, a source I know and trust. Kiwi is a parenting magazine for parents who care about raising kids the healthy, organic, and green way. It has been around for a long time and is very conscientious.

Now, off to make some coconut no-cream pie!

A New Financial You in 28 Days! A 37-Day Plan
A New Financial You in 28 Days! A 37-Day Plan
Price: $7.98

5.0 out of 5 stars You didn't think it was possible to laugh about finance? Guess again!, August 1, 2011
I'd been hearing way too much about the financial crisis in America (as I'm writing this, we're still not sure whether that debt ceiling issue will get resolved or not), but I decided that I'd better work on my own fiscal responsibility issues. I didn't think it was possible to laugh while I was doing it (there's not much funny about the state of my bank account), but boy, was I wrong!

Brian Foley is, in a word, hilarious. He's also incredibly smart, and so you'll find yourself reading and laughing at his wit.

If, like me, you're feeling like you need to find a new financial you, there's no better place to start than with this book.

Then Came You: A Novel
Then Came You: A Novel
by Jennifer Weiner
Price: $19.78
388 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, July 16, 2011
This review is from: Then Came You: A Novel (Hardcover)
I really liked Weiner's first few books, mostly because she took people with quirks and made them lovable and memorable. Then Came You has two major problems, in my view: She treats the community of people involved in infertility treatment simplistically, and she doesn't give us a quirky character to fall in love with over the course of the novel.

The first thing I'd say is that dealing with infertility is not this easy, even for billionaires. And the anonymity thing that clinics insist upon? They really do insist on it. And the feelings of a surrogate? Complex enough that what Annie does and feels in this book does not ring true, not at all. And the ending? I just can't imagine a world in which this situation would ever, ever occur. Much more likely? Litigation. Bitter fighting. Refusal to honor the various legal agreements in place.

The four main characters are two-dimensional. They don't struggle at all with their decisions regarding the infertility issue - and that's just amazing. Real people do. The characters struggle just a bit more with their romantic decisions, but just a bit. There's nothing here to make us buy in and cheer at the end.

In short, this novel is just too thin to be interesting. If it were Jennifer Weiner's first book, she might sell a few copies, but she wouldn't develop a cult following.

The Pile of Stuff at the Bottom of the Stairs
The Pile of Stuff at the Bottom of the Stairs
by Christina Hopkinson
100 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Only hits one note, June 13, 2011
I wanted to like this book - I completely relate to the working mother's dilemma of how to do it all. But the author made the protagonist, Mary (a name that made little sense in the context of the book), almost seem like she had OCD. Mary talks on EVERY SINGLE PAGE about how annoying it is to her that her husband is a slob. Yes, that's annoying - I get it. But Mary is so consumed by it that the book starts to read like a conversation you've had with a friend a million times, the one that you manufacture a kid crisis to get off the phone to avoid. And the details - the tea bag on the counter, the socks on the floor, the multiple toys out at one time (believe me, I'm just getting started) - make this book a yawn at many points.

I wish there had been more depth here.

Attachments: A Novel
Attachments: A Novel
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars adorable, heartfelt, great read, May 10, 2011
If you like chick lit, you will love this book.

The premise is one that we can all relate to: girlfriends chatting over email while at work. The "big brother" guy reading the emails is a character we can all imagine. But what I love about this book is how none of the characters are who we think they are. Instead of being creepy and judgmental, the IT guy who reads the emails is sweet and lovable. Instead of being silly and shallow, the two work friends are dealing with real life issues.

How these three characters come together makes for a wonderful story.

The secondary characters (the mom, the blue collar lunch break buddy, the high school friends) are also interesting and fun and relatable.

While this isn't a deep read, it's perfect for a rainy Saturday on the couch. It will make you smile, I promise.

Bumped
Bumped
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $8.00

2.0 out of 5 stars not even close to her other books, May 10, 2011
This review is from: Bumped (Kindle Edition)
I loved this author's previous books, and so I was excited when I saw she had a new book out.

It was all I could do to stick it out until the end.

This book seemed to be mostly about the author trying to be clever, creating a new terminology and world view. Without giving away the plot too much, I'll just say that I think the author missed an opportunity to look deeply at how teenage girls feel, especially about something so serious.

This book was a real disappointment.

I Remember You
I Remember You
by Harriet Evans
Price: $11.82
153 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Not very believable, December 26, 2010
This review is from: I Remember You (Paperback)
I didn't find the plot of this book to be very believable - the devices of the small college, the Rome trip, and so on were incredibly artificial. But I really couldn't enjoy the book at all after the "first time intimacy" scene was repeated twice in the novel, word for word, to the point that I looked at my Kindle to make sure I hadn't accidentally pushed a button that took me back around 75 pages. Clearly, the author wrote the scene, then used it twice - but it's a shame that the editors didn't pick that up. Other minor details (Adam's father, etc.) were inconsistent throughout.

Helen of Pasadena
Helen of Pasadena

5.0 out of 5 stars smart, sassy, and spot-on, November 1, 2010
This review is from: Helen of Pasadena (Kindle Edition)
If you're like millions of Americans who are still mourning the fact that the Satellite Sisters no longer broadcast their conversations to the world every weekday, you'll love this book. Even if you'd never heard of Lian Dolan until you picked up this book, you're going to want to hear more of her. It's fun, campy, and silly (in all the ways that good chick lit should be), but it's also got a lot going on below the surface.

Take the underlying "Troy" myth and the author's careful but clever exploration of why Helen of Troy may indeed have launched a thousand ships. Take the interesting and educational references to just how and why archeologists do what they do. Take the different slant (positive and respectful) of a woman who's working hard to juggle motherhood, work, friendship, romance . . . and an interest in classical Greek stuff.

Put all of that together with some great writing, some laugh-out-loud humor, and some characters that every mom will recognize from her own life, and you've got a winner of a book here. Here's hoping that Julia Roberts plays Helen in the movie.

Never Wave Goodbye: A Novel of Suspense
Never Wave Goodbye: A Novel of Suspense
Offered by Simon and Schuster Digital Sales Inc
Price: $10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Great until the last 50 pages, July 14, 2010
As the mother of two young children who went off to camp for the first time this summer, I was riveted by this book from page one. I was sure that this could happen to me, and that's the sign of an author who's really connecting with the reader. As the book went on, I loved the different perspectives of parents, kidnappers, and children.

But the end of the book was SUCH a disappointment. I don't want to give it away, but the book resolves through a clumsy device, a plot twist that could NEVER happen. Furthermore, the suspicions of many characters are never resolved - we never find out whether X or Y was involved in some way. Those who do turn out to be involved? It again seems clumsy, unrealistic. So while the events up to and until the kidnappers are revealed and the children's fate is unveiled are fascinating and well-written, even keeping you on the edge of your seat, the finale leaves a lot to be desired.

Page: 1 | 2