Profile for Linda B. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 34

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Linda B. "politically incorrect in..." RSS Feed (Berkeley, Ca.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Weber 7447 Compact Rapidfire Chimney Starter
Weber 7447 Compact Rapidfire Chimney Starter
Price: $10.99
14 used & new from $10.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Should have bought one sooner, October 5, 2014
Works perfectly for my 14.5" Weber Smoker. Just the right amount of charcoal. After using newspaper and paper towels to start it, I went to the white Weber cubes. One gets it going pretty good, two is very quick, and you don't have bits of fly away burning paper. should last forever with minimal care.

Grill Gloves - These Silicone Cooking Gloves Are Heat Resistant - 1 Pair - Best Kitchen Pot Holders and Oven Mitts with 5 Fingers - Add Them to Your BBQ Grilling Accessories Arsenal - Safety First - Protective Baking Gloves - Have a Perfect Barbecue Without Burning Your Hands - Lifetime Guarantee
Offered by A&T Supplies
Price: $49.97
2 used & new from $17.50

4.0 out of 5 stars heat resistant, not heat proof., October 5, 2014
I was worried they might be too big as I have small hands, but the size is ok. Nice quality construction. However, I have found they are heat resistant for short periods, very short. Lifting the top grate in my WSM is fine but if I hold the grate handles for more than 15 seconds, I can feel the heat build. As a test, I put one on and ran the hot water faucet in my sink. The glove protected my hand initially but after about 15 seconds, it became uncomfortably hot. So I would recommend them for things where the contact with a hot item is very quick. A grab and turn on a piece of meat or a bird, a quick turn of a grate, etc. But if you are juggling hot things while cooking outdoors and don't have a place to set things down, these may not work as well. I could not hold my grate while I added wood to my charcoal, the heat came through the gloves. For me, it just means I need to be more organized and find a place to put things at my workstation, but not everyone will be okay with that; if you want truly heat proof, these are not it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 6, 2014 8:49 AM PDT

Green Guru Cruiser Cooler Handlebar Bag
Green Guru Cruiser Cooler Handlebar Bag
Offered by The Ottomus
Price: $35.95
17 used & new from $25.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome hot/cold carrier, June 20, 2014
My only regret turning my bike into my main grocery getter was not being able to bring home TJ's frozen popsicles. They just didn't stay frozen, even packed between other frozen items. Well, not a problem any more! This little bag keeps my pops frozen, my water for rides really cold, and my burritos super hot. It also holds my wallet, phone, keys, etc., as a "glove box". I'm still working on a way to turn it into a speaker for my iPhone tunes; with the lid closed the iPhone is safe from bumps and falls but it muffles the sound. My other handlebar bag reflected the sound much better and louder, but it didn't maintain food temps. Can't have everything I guess. I could always get a phone bracket for the bike or a bluetooth speaker. Not giving up the Guru, it is terrific. Looks like it will hold up for eternity; even thought the material fades out in the sun, it stays tough and pliable. Very happy.

London Fog Men's Auburn Zip Front Light Mesh Lined Golf Jacket, Olive, Medium
London Fog Men's Auburn Zip Front Light Mesh Lined Golf Jacket, Olive, Medium
Price: $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Casual jacket for warm weather, May 28, 2014
Got this for my son who is 5'11", 170 lbs. The medium is actually a bit large. I suspect a small would be too small so he decided to keep it. Nicely tailored, straight seams and stitching. The microfiber has a suede-like feel but can show impressions from things laid on it. Wrinkles but can easily be ironed if that happens. The interior mesh is nicely stitched and there are two velcro close pockets inside and one additional with a flap close. The outside pockets are dual - an inner pocket and then the outer zipper pocket. The back of the neck has a strip of lining which is white with stripes, not the same as the jacket material, if you like to pop your collar (does anyone do that anymore?). Overall nice quality and I only wish the sizing was a bit better for my son.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2014 10:34 PM PDT

Dr. Martens Women's Carolyn Fisherman Sandal,Black Brando,4 UK/Women's 6 M US
Dr. Martens Women's Carolyn Fisherman Sandal,Black Brando,4 UK/Women's 6 M US
Offered by OnlineShoes
Price: $70.97
2 used & new from $70.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Super comfortable with cushy sole, March 25, 2014
Sizing took a few tries. I wear an 8 Doc Marten with insoles, so I initially sized down one. These sandals run big so I ended up dropping two sizes (size 4). Once I had the right size, though, I was really happy. The ankle straps hold securely and have lots of adjustment holes. The instep straps are sized perfectly, not too tight or too lose. And the wonderful Doc Marten sole with air cushion is just the very best. I have weak ankles so I like Docs because they have a wide sole which is extremely stable, even if I step on uneven surfaces. I wish I could have gotten the tan flowers, but no one had my size, so I got the black. The black is actually more flexible in terms of what I wear, and the white stitching gives it a little style. The leather is pebbled and extremely soft. No breaking in required unlike the DM shoes.

AO II 8-Base Sunglasses, Gold, Wire Spatula, Gold Mirror Poly Lens, 55mm, Sm/Med 90053
Offered by OpticsPlanet, Inc
Price: $81.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loved these, February 7, 2014
Purchased as a gift for my son at Xmas. He always buys cheap pairs and they break. These are well made, sturdy self locking screws. The extra curvature of the lens provides better protection than the straight aviators. The gold mirror finish is very tasteful, just adds a bit of a brownish cast when looking at the person. Came with a hard case.

Community Coffee Private Reserve Whole Bean French Roast, 12 oz., 3 Count
Community Coffee Private Reserve Whole Bean French Roast, 12 oz., 3 Count

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bitter over-roasted charbucks!, February 7, 2014
I normally roast my own beans but in winter it's a hassle to get my roaster up to temperature outside (too messy to roast indoors). So I buy roasted beans for a few months each year. I like a strong coffee (Peets Maj.Dickinson for example). I love Community Coffee because I love New Orleans =) so it has wonderful associations for me. But finding a dark enough roast took a few tries. CC's dark roast is basically a medium roast - dark brown beans with just a hint of oily sheen. However, the EXTRA dark roast (french and espesso beans) are what Peet's would call a dark roast. This french roast bean is black/brown with a nice oily surface, slow roasted so it grinds easily, but it does not have the burnt/char after taste that I find in Starbucks French roast. It's dark and deep, with just the slightest hint of ash, but not bitter in the finish. The aroma will drive you nuts, guaranteed! So good smelling... I use a Keurig with an ekobrew container and, as anyone with a Keurig knows, they brew smooth but weak. So finding a coffee that can hold up to this type of brew without losing it's character is a challenge. This one does. It's now on my subscribe and save list, as the Private Reserve through Amazon is considerably less expensive than direct from CC. My 3 bags had an expiration date 3 months from delivery and they are vacuum sealed for freshness.

Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar, Large Dog
Bayer Seresto Flea and Tick Collar, Large Dog
Price: $48.99
33 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, February 6, 2014
I have only had this collar about a week, but I purchased it because my Jindo (thick double-coated dog) was biting so bad down to the skin and blood. It's winter but unseasonably warm so I guess the fleas are active. Two days after putting the collar on, the biting stopped completely. She still occasionally scratches but it's not like something is irritating her. I'm hopeful this will be effective when real flea season starts; the worst is October. I plan on buying a new collar about 6 months in, so it has maximum capacity during the worst time of year. Nothing has worked in season - not topicals, or pills. Capstar works but only for one day, and I won't give her comfortis. I'll post back after I see how it works in full blown flea season. Fingers crossed.

**UPDATE**:
It's now the end of June. Until now, my dog has been flea free. She has just started scratching and biting a bit, so I ordered a new collar. That's about 5-5 1/2 months. The real test will be with the new collar as this is prime flea season where I live, for the next 4 months. If the collar works well during this period, then I will be satisfied even if it's only a little over 5 months instead of 8. Not having to mess with liquid tubes or remember to reapply is worth a lot as is my dog's comfort. Will update once again after October's horrid flea fest.

Sorel Women's Nakiska Slide Knit Slipper,Black/Gum,8 M US
Sorel Women's Nakiska Slide Knit Slipper,Black/Gum,8 M US

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice slippers and very comfortable, February 6, 2014
I'm a 7 or 7.5 so I ordered the 8 based on comments here. Perfect fit without socks upon receipt. After a day, they fit fine with thick wool socks. The sweater material stretches easily to conform to the foot. The bridge over the instep is sewn pretty tightly and that's where most people have trouble, I think. If you've ever worn clogs, you are used to this and know it will loosen up so it's better to start off tight. Since I wear socks, no issues with the labels in the heel area. Toasty and comfortable. Not a lot of arch support but they are slippers (not orthaheel). I think they will last a long time with the gum sole and so they are worth the money.

Replacement Laces for RSX & RSX XL Recliners, White
Replacement Laces for RSX & RSX XL Recliners, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Reclaimed my non-functioning LaFuma recliner, February 6, 2014
the laces fit my RT, on older model, perfectly. I was able to double lace at the middle, although the instructions said the laces were thicker so it wasn't necessary. They were not in a package, just bundled laces with the black clips, but worked fine.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4