Profile for Michael > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 13

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Michael "Michael" RSS Feed (Coastal Georgia)

Page: 1 | 2
Axial Ax90024 4WD RTR Exo Terra Buggy, 1/10 Scale
Axial Ax90024 4WD RTR Exo Terra Buggy, 1/10 Scale

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun on tarmac, absolute blast offroad, a few weak spots, May 21, 2013
This is a fun buggy. The tires are quite good, both on pavement and offroad.
One of the downsides is that Axial went more for scale model realism over rc car practicality. As many of the online reviews state, removing the roll cage is a gigantic pain. And its a bit heavier than some of the other 1/10th scale 2wd truggies out there.
As another reviewer mentioned, the steering servo is quite fragile. Mine snapped a tooth the first day. Fortunately a coworker lent me a spare servo that has been far better. Also had a wheel bearing go after a couple of hours of use. I also experienced wheel nuts that tended to back off, even after I added lock washers. Thread locking compound is a must!
This thing really shines on low traction surfaces. I love running it on wet pavement. Put it on bare dirt and adjust the shocks for max travel/ground clearance and you'll be slinging sand and gravel all over the place.
The 2900kV brushless motor seems to produce good torque and runs relatively cool around 120-130F. ESC seems solid.
I've not had much difficulty with battery installation or removal....Axial appears to have addressed those issues.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2013 10:08 AM PDT

Fila Men's Skele-Toes 2.0 Shoe,Black/Turkish Sea,13 M US
Fila Men's Skele-Toes 2.0 Shoe,Black/Turkish Sea,13 M US
Offered by Sole Place

1.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to see here, move along, May 21, 2013
We take our boat to the beach a lot and I needed some affordable water shoes that were comfortable to wear both in and out of the water. These fit the need very nicely.
Unfortunately like everyone else seems to have experienced, the sidewall of the big toe wore thru the second time I had them on. After that they were basically worthless.
I've had them on less than a half dozen times and multiple toe sidewall fabric has worn thru.
Not recommended even for light use. Wish I had been able to return them.

28" Blazingly Fast Victory EP Racing RC Boat EP777
28" Blazingly Fast Victory EP Racing RC Boat EP777
Offered by DealMeDeal
Price: $41.97
16 used & new from $34.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Awesome....while it works, March 31, 2013
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:3.0 out of 5 stars
Like many others, the first thing I noticed is that the antenna for the remote was missing. I rigged up something just to try it out.

This boat surprised me with its speed and power. I put it in a pond and told my son to give it some power. I got soaked from the prop spray! We drove it all over the pond and it was loads of fun.....for about 5 minutes.

Then it started acting up. The motors started pulsing on/off/on/off. We brought it back to shore and inspected it but found nothing wrong...hull was bone dry.

I believe after a few minutes the power electronics has some component that overheats and it starts acting up.Too bad the qualquality of the components are so poor or this would be a great toy.

Westek SLC6CBC-4 100W Programmable Screw-In Light Control, White
Westek SLC6CBC-4 100W Programmable Screw-In Light Control, White
Price: $9.45
13 used & new from $6.10

2.0 out of 5 stars OK if you get one that works, January 18, 2013
These are a nice addition if you want your porch light or other fixture to come on at dusk and remain on for a few hours or until dawn. Provides a bit of extra security. They are simple to install (obviously) and simple to program with a couple of buttons.

The only thing I might caution a buyer about is the accessibility of the buttons in a tight enclosure. For example, if you have a smaller lantern style outdoor fixture, it can be difficult to fit your hand into the fixture around the hot bulb (it has to be on to program it) and reach the buttons. Not really a design flaw, but something to be aware of if you intend to use it in a smaller fixture.

As others have observed, the reliability of these isn't the best. I purchased two of these at my local retailer. One continues to work in an outdoor fixture. The other stopped functioning after 40 days. I won't be buying another and I don't think I'd recommend this to others.

Dual HFP Black Bluetooth FM Transmitter & Car MP3 & Portable Call Functionality
Dual HFP Black Bluetooth FM Transmitter & Car MP3 & Portable Call Functionality

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't stream music via Blue Tooth, December 26, 2012
Yes, it has BlueTooth connectivity for hands free phone calls. Pairing and connecting a phone via BT was fast and simple.

Yes, it plays MP3 files....from a microSD card or usb flash drive.

As the other review said, it does NOT stream music via BlueTooth. That was very disappointing to discover and very difficult to determine from the product description.

Otherwise the unit worked well and was simple to operate. The usb port does work for charging. The mini remote works well for the passenger and the steering wheel mounted remote is equally handy.

If you are looking for a economic solution to play MP3 files via your car stereo and don't mind carrying your music on an SD card or usb drive, this may be a good option.

I was not particularly impressed with the quality of the hands free calling function and would not recommend this product for that use.

BUFFALO AirStation N150 Wireless Router - WCR-GN
BUFFALO AirStation N150 Wireless Router - WCR-GN
Offered by cravingsavings
Price: $28.99
41 used & new from $18.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of features for low price - Not easily flashed with DD-WRT, September 12, 2012
Bought this router for my sister as a low-cost option as a simple wifi access point. My intent was to get it and immediately flash DD-WRT firmware onto it as I wanted to use a lot of the access restriction features it offers over the OEM firmware.

The DD-WRT wiki states it is supported, however, I have been unable to flash any firmware to it via the web interface or via TFTP. I have done so successfully with about a dozen other routers, but not this particular model.

Scouring the web it appears that a few people have managed to communicate via serial port, but I've not found any write-ups of successful flash of DD-WRT firmware.

Bottom line is a well featured unit with a great low price (especially after a $20 rebate!), but if you are looking for something ultra cheap to flash DD-WRT onto, I recommend you look elsewhere.

For 99% of the internet public looking for a basic home router to add wifi, or even to expand an existing network over a larger area, this is a good choice.

US Flag 2ftx3ft Polyester
US Flag 2ftx3ft Polyester
Offered by WILDFLAGS
Price: $0.30
5 used & new from $0.30

3.0 out of 5 stars Good price for a disposible flag....order several., September 2, 2012
This review is from: US Flag 2ftx3ft Polyester
Printed polyester flag is lightweight and looks good out of the package.

However, you will want to buy several (fortunately they are inexpensive enough to make that a reasonable option).

After a couple of months of 24/7 exposure on our dock it fades quickly and shows significant wear after only 45-60 days. I have been replacing it about once every two months. The old one is always absolutely torn to tatters by that point.

If you display this indoors, it is hard to beat this price and it should last much longer.

Kodak PlaySport (Zx3) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera - Black
Kodak PlaySport (Zx3) HD Waterproof Pocket Video Camera - Black
Offered by Boone's Overstock
Price: $245.99
18 used & new from $65.12

2.0 out of 5 stars Good little outdoor/sport still/vid cam - serious charging issue, June 18, 2012
I purchased this about two years ago from Amazon for just under $100. Was a great deal and is/was the perfect size for boating/swimming/kyaking/beach...just about anything where it might get wet or dunked.

We've used it all of half dozen times, mostly during summer months at the beach or when waterskiing. Never had any problems with water leakage or seals. A rinse in fresh water and then let it dry well before opening any of the compartments and it was fine.

This year when I got it out after several months of no use, I plugged it in to the USB port to charge. It would power up briefly and shut down. I fiddled with it numerous times and managed to get it to finally charge up. We used it that day and plugged it into the TV that night. That was the last time I was able to get it to power up or charge.

Lots and lots of complaints turn up on Google for the same behavior. Batteries appear to be fine...sounds like either an issue with connectivity on the micro-USB port or a built-in flaw in the charging circuit.

Some people have had success using a separate battery charger that can be found for $20-$30. I don't believe that is the issue. Others have had it repaired by Kodak for $80 (for a $90 camera??!?)

Overall the camera video and stills were quite good for a low-cost camera like this, but in the end, the reliability has driven me away from any more Kodak products.

Swann SWDVK-425504 S 4-Channel Digital Video Recorder with Smartphone Viewing and 4 x 600TVL Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good system for small office or home...lots of features, October 22, 2011
I had to come back and re-write my review (and upgrade it to 5-stars from 3-stars) after having these cameras for a couple of weeks. The whole system is pretty good. Initially I was having some difficulty with poor camera performance at night. But I figured out one of them was being blinded at night by the reflection of the IR LEDs right back at the camera. I relocated it slightly to move it further from the white surface it was close to and the picture at night was much improved.

I finally got a second camera wired up and added and noticed its picture was significantly better than the first camera. I tweaked the camera settings on the first camera and bingo! Picture on both was outstanding.

Setting up access to the recorder on my network was the easiest I've ever seen. I've had a lot of wifi cams and helped co-workers with similar DVRs to the Swann unit, but this one was by far the smoothest to set up. Mobile access is good on my Android phone and I'm very pleased.

The ability to set specific areas of the field of view of each camera to detect motion is fantastic. The "alarms" are good, and it definitely emails out screen captures when it detects motion. I had to set it up to use Gmail (which Swann recommends) as the SMTP server...I was never able to get it to work with my Comcast account.

One other useful thing I discovered is that the camera mounts are a perfect match to the threaded portion on most floodlight fixtures. I unscrewed the mounting base that came with the camera and threaded it into one of the empty positions on my floodlight fixtures already on the house. Made for a very professional look and was easy to mount...no drilling required.

Foscam FI8918W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP/Network Camera with 8 Meter Night Vision and 3.6mm Lens (67° Viewing Angle)
Price: $58.49
33 used & new from $45.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A basic pan/tilt IP Cam at an entry level price, November 11, 2010
This is a decent IP camera with enough features for most first time users. I was able to configure and use the camera without having to load any of the included software without any trouble, but an average person might have trouble getting every feature working. If you don't know what DNS or FTP means, you are one of these people.

If you are planning on just sitting this on a window sill and pointing it outside as a 24/7 security camera, think again. It works fine in the daytime, but interior reflections on the window glass make it less useful at night. The IR LEDs reflect back off the window and effectively blind the camera.

Image quality is typical of a low-cost CMOS sensor. Color accuracy and saturation is poor, but adequate for most uses.

It also has several shutter speed settings....a 60hz speed for night/low light, a 50hz speed for medium lighting, and a slow shutter speed for outdoor use. While the camera is able to automatically adjust sensor sensitivity a bit to compensate for changes in lighting, it doesn't have an automatic shutter speed setting. This means that if you have the shutter speed set on the "Outdoor" setting, it works great on a sunny day, but at night is far too dark to be useful. You'd have to manually switch shutter speeds every day if you were using it as an unattended security camera. Leaving it on 60hz setting and trying to view an outside scene just results in a white video image...the sunlight totally overwhelms the sensor unless you use the "outdoor" setting.

The motion detection feature is excellent. You can have the camera automatically email you a sequence of still photos everytime it detects motion. I was pleasantly surprised at how well this worked. You can specify up to 5 individual recipients.

It is also capable of uploading the same still images to an FTP server if you wish to archive them for review later. A date/time stamp on the image would have been a nice addition but isn't a feature.

I did not try the audio features, thus cannot say if they are improved over the old camera. If you are looking to integrate this camera into your DIY home security system, you should purchase the previous model (FI8908W) as this new one doesn't have the RS485 port anymore.

Bottom line, whether you want to use this camera to monitor an interior room, or an outside scene, it's a good entry level camera. Just don't expect it to be able to do both without manually making some adjustments for one or the other.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 28, 2011 8:41 AM PDT

Page: 1 | 2