Profile for G. Lewis > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 39

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

G. Lewis "simplygib" RSS Feed (Grants Pass, Oregon)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-i337 16GB 4G LTE GSM Unlocked Smartphone (Black) - No Warranty
Offered by US Wireless
Price: $379.88
39 used & new from $255.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Why did I wait so long to get this phone?, July 14, 2014
I don't know why I waited so long to buy this phone. I kept my last phone for over 6 years (Motorola Q9C) and it had always been nearly worthless for doing anything online, although I could get my e-mail through it and do some limited surfing if I had enough time and patience. I had an unbelievably cheap service plan that I was reluctant to give up (couldn't upgrade the phone and keep the plan). But I finally threw in the towel, and now I'm asking myself why I waited so long. This phone does EVERYTHING.

The one thing I was reluctant about was typing on a touchscreen, which I have difficulty with. But then I realized I don't even need to type, I can dictate e-mails and texts! And it works great! I'm using it with Straight Talk on AT&T's network and it's been flawless, with 4g LTE speeds (need the correct APN settings to get LTE). The battery life has been good (although I am not a heavy user), and on standby it's phenomenal, it seems to barely use any power at all. The sound quality is great, the screen is great, and as each day passes and I learn more and more about how to use this phone, the happier I get with it.

Prior to buying this I had read quite a bit about the fake phones out there and was determined to not be fooled into getting one of those. I did a lot of research about what to look for, and everything I read about this phone indicated it was the real deal. But one never knows until they get it in their hands. After receiving it I carefully examined everything, then downloaded and ran the "Genuine Galaxy - Phone Info" app which confirmed that the phone is authentic. What a relief. I bought this from seller "Mango Wireless," fulfilled by Amazon. It was brand new, in Samsung packaging. The only thing that seemed to be missing from the box was a warranty card (there were manufacturer's pamphlets explaining the warranty - but no card). It was listed in the description as being "Imported," which for cameras means there is no USA warranty. Not sure if that means the same thing for phones, but it probably does. I could have gotten the add-on 2-year protection plan for an additional $69, but decided to go without that. I figured I could send it back to Amazon within 30 days if need be, but if it ran fine during that time it would be unlikely to go bad over the succeeding 11 months anyway (Samsung's usual warranty is 1 year). I did get an Otterbox Defender case for it to provide some extra accident protection. Some may find that case to be too bulky, but I love it. I've had the phone for 3 weeks now and it is working perfectly.

One of my passions is long-distance self-supported bicycle touring, and in the past I have taken a netbook, phone, mp3 player, camera and GPS with me, which adds quite a bit of weight to my setup. All of that will now be replaced with just this phone - awesome! This will lower my riding weight by 5 or 6 pounds and reduce the volume of supplies I need to carry. I am going to test it out on a tour starting in one week and will update this review with how it all worked out.

I couldn't be happier with this phone.

Suncast 23-Inch Pet Carrier Round
Suncast 23-Inch Pet Carrier Round
Price: $24.99
11 used & new from $24.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the trick, July 11, 2014
Nice little carrier. I love the wire sides and the gate mechanism. I recently got adopted by a stray little critter (black cat) who wandered on to my property and wouldn't leave. He's become my constant companion. He hates traveling in the car (vet trips, etc.) so rather than have him climb all over me while driving I thought it best to get one of these. This is a nice one. Does the trick for a small pet.

Wall Lenk L80 80 Watt Soldering Kit
Wall Lenk L80 80 Watt Soldering Kit
Price: $31.19
7 used & new from $26.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, July 11, 2014
Love this soldering iron. I had two others that were worthless, they just wouldn't generate enough heat to even melt solder. This one works great, even for small electronic jobs (although the size of the tip is really too big for that). Good buy.

2pcs Elna 10000uF 35v 105c Radial Electrolytic Capacitor Made in Japan
2pcs Elna 10000uF 35v 105c Radial Electrolytic Capacitor Made in Japan
Offered by The Capacitor Store
Price: $7.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, July 11, 2014
I bought two of these capacitors and wired them in parallel with the battery circuit on my KLR 250 motorcycle. That bike is notorious for having a weak battery circuit, resulting in turn signals that barely flash, and when they do the headlight dims. With these capacitors the turn signal problem is completely eliminated, although I do still get some dimming of the headlight. It's not as bad as it was before though. Maybe if I wired one more of these in it would take care of it, but I'm really not worried about it at this point. Great product.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Case - OtterBox Defender Series - Black
Samsung Galaxy S4 Case - OtterBox Defender Series - Black
Price: $24.30
40 used & new from $18.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome Case!, July 11, 2014
I wasn't sure about ordering this. Thought it might be too bulky. But my new S4 seemed way too slippery and my hands would actually get a little sweaty holding it. I looked at the cheaper cases but they didn't appear to offer much protection against drops, and many of them seemed like they'd be almost as slippery as the phone itself, plus many of them required a separate screen protector as well. So I took a chance on the Otterbox Defender, and I'm glad I did. I love this thing. The rubberized outside provides a solid grip and plenty of protection against drops. The screen protector is awesome - it seems just as responsive as the bare screen to me, and no stupid air bubbles to worry about. Just snap the case together and go. I also worried a little about the buttons, but they too are great. They are a little difficult to push in but I like that - it prevents accidental pushes while it's in my pocket.

The last time I got a new phone I made the mistake of not getting a case for it and taking it on a thousand mile bike tour right after getting it. After a month of bouncing around in my handlebar bag, it looked ten years old. So glad I won't have to worry about doing that this time.

SRAM MRX Comp Bicycle 7 Speed Grip Shifter Set
SRAM MRX Comp Bicycle 7 Speed Grip Shifter Set
Offered by BikeWorldUSA
Price: $23.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect but probably adequate for most, July 7, 2014
These are OK shifters. I've had them for years on my touring bike. One rear shifter broke while I was on tour and I was forced to have it replaced at a bike shop along the route. They sold me this exact set for $40, and this was in 2008, so it's quite a savings getting it here on Amazon. One problem with these for those who sweat a lot when riding (like me) or ride in the rain, is they get slick when they're wet, and it is very difficult to get enough grip on them to shift gears. They need a rougher surface. Otherwise they work fine and for most folks will probably last many years.

Motorola Q9c Travel Charger / AC Adaptor / Battery Charger / Wall Charger
Motorola Q9c Travel Charger / AC Adaptor / Battery Charger / Wall Charger
Offered by Globalprice
Price: $2.57
3 used & new from $2.18

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked ok for about 4 months, but that's it, May 2, 2014
I'm not sure what the power output is on this thing but it never charged my phone like my OEM charger did - took much longer. And after 4 months the mini USB plug wore out to the point where I had to move it around in the jack to get it to connect. That lasted a week or so before it wouldn't connect at all. I'm now charging my phone with my car charger, which works great and charges much faster than this worthless thing ever did. I'd look elsewhere.

MOTOROLA OEM BT90 EXTENDED BATTERY FOR Q9c Q9h
MOTOROLA OEM BT90 EXTENDED BATTERY FOR Q9c Q9h
Offered by BTO, Inc.
Price: $4.09
23 used & new from $0.98

2.0 out of 5 stars New? What does that really mean?, May 2, 2014
I bought one of these here on Amazon from a seller called Extreme Discounts L.A. in December of 2012. It was advertised as "Brand New, Never Used!" Did it work? Yes, but it never seemed to last as long as my original BT90. A year and a half later I am still using it, but my phone is dead or nearly dead every morning, even if I haven't used it at all other than maybe sending 2 or 3 text messages during the day (no phone calls). If I actually talk to someone on the phone for say 45 minutes or so, it will die in the evening if I don't charge it (after having charged it fully that morning). I always wondered if the battery was really "new" as stated in the ad since it had arrived without any manufacturer's packaging. I had never actually looked at it closely - until now. There is a manufacturer's date on it in very fine print - 11/08/2007. That's right, they sold a 5-year old battery to me and called it "new." Granted, I paid next to nothing for it, but I would have paid more for a fresh battery. It's hard to complain about getting over a year's worth of use out of a battery I paid about four bucks for, but just the same, they should be up front about what they're actually selling. Buyer beware.

MSI G Series GE70 2OE-017US 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black/Red)
MSI G Series GE70 2OE-017US 17.3-Inch Laptop (Black/Red)
11 used & new from $950.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop, March 21, 2014
I've had this laptop for nearly 3 months now and it works great. I'm using it now to type this review. I love the large screen for watching movies, and really enjoy the numeric keypad that my former laptop lacked. The backlit keyboard is great too. I was a little nervous about moving to Windows 8, having stuck with XP for many years. I really did not like 8 at all, but after updating to 8.1 and defaulting bootup to the desktop, there's no problem at all. Very minor learning curve, and I'm almost never in the metro screen. I haven't really done much with it yet that would require a lot of power other than some video editing (once) which went without a hitch. My old laptop would crash when I tried that. One very nice surprise with this laptop was realizing that it uses much less power than my old laptop did when doing things like just surfing the internet, e-mail, etc. I spent 5 weeks dry camping in the desert using solar power so power consumption is always an issue out there. My old laptop used about 50% more power than this one, as reported by my Trimetric power meter. And the old one had just a small 15" screen with a single core AMD 2.4 Ghz CPU and 2 gigs of ram. While watching a movie this one consumed as little as 2.9 amps @12v (via a 110v inverter). My old laptop never got below 4.5 amps. Having the variable rate CPU as well as the two automatically-selected graphics options really helps. I'm happy.

Thetford 31113 Bravura Toilet Water Module Service Package
Thetford 31113 Bravura Toilet Water Module Service Package
Price: $27.33
14 used & new from $22.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, March 21, 2014
My prior toilet valve broke over the winter when it froze, so I ordered this one as a replacement. It was a cinch to install, and now I have much better water flow in the toilet than before. I'm a happy camper.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4