Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Profile for jleica > Reviews

Browse

jleica's Profile

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

jleica "jleica" RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Skinnygirl Sparklers Variety Sparkling Water 17 FL OZ (12 Bottles in Total)
Skinnygirl Sparklers Variety Sparkling Water 17 FL OZ (12 Bottles in Total)
Offered by Tal DG
Price: $28.00
2 used & new from $28.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Something doesn't taste right, May 29, 2015
I wish this drink were as refreshing and delicious as the packaging design. At first swig, my immediate reaction was "Ew." I had to double-check the ingredients listed on the bottle because I thought I could taste aspartame (I did not see this listed, though). The chemical taste took me by surprise, although I did like the "fizz." Might appeal to some, but if you're looking for something that tastes clean and simple (i.e, natural), this beverage is probably not for you.

Tribeca Living Queen Floral Garden Printed Extra Deep Pocket Flannel Sheet Set
Tribeca Living Queen Floral Garden Printed Extra Deep Pocket Flannel Sheet Set
Price: $79.10
3 used & new from $69.00

1.0 out of 5 stars At first glance, great! Within weeks, not so great ..., December 29, 2014
We've had these sheets for a little more than a month. When we first received them, we loved them. Soft to the touch, warm, very pretty. The extra deep fitted sheet fit our mattress, too. No bad odor, as other reviewers here have experienced.

Today I decided to wash the sheets (we wash them about once a week), and I noticed that the top sheet was starting to tear.Upon closer inspection, I noticed lots of places where the fabric was worn through. And the pilling was everywhere. Just weeks of use, and these sheets look ratty. I expected them to be more durable than this.

I just finished ironing on and sewing some patches on the top sheet and am washing the set now. Hoping for a bit more mileage from this purchase before I toss 'em. I am so disappointed. I do not recommend these sheets.

Paradise Island Shampoo 16 oz., Sulfate Free, High Lathering, No Parabens, Phthalates, Dyes, Endocrine Disruptors, SLS Free, Vegan, Natural (Tropical Paradise 16 oz)
Offered by Paradise Island Organics LLC
Price: $20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT (and the scent, too)!, October 2, 2014
I've been using this shampoo regularly since May 2014, and I LOVE IT. My hair -- sometimes flyaway and on the thin side -- feels thicker. Also, this shampoo doesn't strip away the color I have done at the salon. I love the scent of this product, too. (I've been using the Tropical Paradise formula.)

I've tried other sulfate-free shampoos, but this was the only one that didn't make my hair feel limp, clumpy and greasy. I'm not saying this shampoo will perform miracles -- I wish! -- but I can say that Paradise Island Shampoo has helped my hair look and feel better than it has in years.

5 1/2 x 5 1/2 Square Envelopes w/Peel & Press - Natural (50 Qty.)
5 1/2 x 5 1/2 Square Envelopes w/Peel & Press - Natural (50 Qty.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice envelopes, but missing a handful of them, December 11, 2013
Envelopes are nice and just what I ordered — off-white, good quality, just-the-right size for my needs. One thing: I ordered two packs of 50, and in one pack I counted 45 envelopes, and in the other pack, 46. I counted 'em up a few times to be sure. Sheesh. By the time I realized there were nine missing envelopes, it was too late. I had already torn off the plastic wrap and started sticking stamps on the envelopes. Bummer.

Trick-or-Treat: A Happy Haunter's Halloween
Trick-or-Treat: A Happy Haunter's Halloween
by Tad Carpenter
Price: $14.03
60 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific BOOk!, August 8, 2013
"Trick-or-Treat: A Happy Haunters Halloween" is a joy to read and look at. Every turn of the page brings something new to the reader -- all sorts of spooky characters and creepy (in a good way!) scenarios are brought to life by Debbie Leppanen's wonderfully crafted poems. They are short and sweet -- real zingers. The illustrations by Tad Carpenter mesh beautifully with the words. These visuals are big, bold, colorful -- they jump right off the pages and set the ghostly tone. I have a strong hunch that any child who anticipates the thrill of Halloween will be enchanted by this book. There's enough spook and spine-chilling mini-tales in it to get the younger ones saucer-eyed without scaring them to death (figuratively speaking, of course).

I Never Promised You a Goodie Bag: A Memoir of a Life Through Events--the Ones You Plan and the Ones You Don't
by Jennifer Gilbert
Price: $19.33
104 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, June 11, 2012
I like memoirs, in general. (I'll skip the story details here, as other reviewers have already covered that.) I'd rank this memoir as one of the better ones out there. It's well-written and for the most part, flows well. There were a few areas, however, where I got a little confused with the sequence of events. And there was one spot where Gilbert contradicted herself, but for me, these flaws seemed minor within the context of everything else.

Gilbert tells her story in a straightforward, clear manner. This book is not 100 percent cliche-free, but it's close. Because of the different themes Gilbert addresses, I think there's something in this memoir for everyone. For me, I connected with the way Gilbert framed the concept of fear.

The last third of the book got a tad bit preachy (and I do mean "tad"). The narrative shifted a bit, too, as Gilbert detailed her own lifestyle and parental choices. There's depth to her, for sure, but whatever shallowness she has comes forward a lot more in this latter part of the book.

Let's just say Gilbert is human, a survivor and a pretty good storyteller. If you like memoirs, I'd recommend this one.

Yoga for Scoliosis
Yoga for Scoliosis
DVD ~ Elise Browning Miller
Price: $21.71
19 used & new from $16.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Sensible / practical, August 28, 2011
This review is from: Yoga for Scoliosis (DVD)
I have an scoliosis (s-shaped) and starting get back into yoga a few months ago after a 10-year hiatus. The classes I have been attending are fairly challenging, and I have gained a lot of strength and flexibility since I've been taking them. I checked out this DVD after I had been in various classes a few times a week for about three months -- I did all the poses Miller presented in the entire sequence and watched all the other sections. as well. The poses all felt great. The instruction was very good, although at times it was a bit confusing to figure out which modifications I should be making on the spot based on the teacher's description of the type of one's scoliosis. Overall, I'd say that the pace was slow and the poses were basic. This doesn't make this a "bad" DVD -- just be aware that if you'd like to try something a bit more rigorous, this DVD may not be for you. If you're just starting out, though, or have some serious back issues, this might be exactly what you're looking for. There is just one set of poses here, unfortunately -- I really wish there could have been different choices of sequences, so that I wouldn't have to go through the same slow set of poses again and again.

Yoga School Dropout: A hilarious, hapless and desperate quest for mystic Indians and Tantric bliss
by Lucy Edge
Price: $14.95
24 used & new from $1.78

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't get through this book, July 7, 2011
I set out to read a handful of yoga memoirs this past year. I'm pretty open to different stories/paths and even styles of writing. The description of this book sounded like something I could relate to, so I gave it a shot. Then I tried my best to get through it. (Of the half dozen or so yoga memoirs I read, this was the only one I simply could not finish.) The author's constant self-deprecation was exhausting. The lack of character development for anyone she introduces in the book was frustrating -- it seemed as if the author just decided to write about whatever was happening in her line of view (what people wore, what they ate, what they said, etc.) without bothering to explain why any of these people were relevant to telling her story. (Hello? Was there an editor out there helping to ... edit this book?) I never really got a grip on who the author was -- I really wanted her to go more in depth about her life and why she chose the yoga path. It's all there on the surface, but the narrative doesn't go much beyond that.

I don't have the book in front of me as I write this (I sold it at a yard sale months ago), but I recall reading about one of the author's experiences at the ad agency where she worked: one of her bosses asked her to explain something to him as he slipped her on to his lap. As I read that part, I thought, "Oh! Ugh! Blah! What?!" I sensed that the author was bothered by this guy's action, but she writes nothing beyond a brief mention of this incident. I thought that this would be a perfect opportunity for a writer to expand on why she had to get out and do something radical with her life. My guess, at the time, was that the author was young and inexperienced. After I gave up on the book, I googled the author's name and was surprised to read online that she was in her late 30s when she embarked on her yoga journey (now, whether or not this info is accurate is another matter). Point is, she wasn't that young and/or inexperienced. The self-reflection and depth you might expect from someone who's older, wiser and hardened from years of working in the advertising industry is just not there in the pages of this book.

Look elsewhere for yoga memoirs. Or just buy this one at a yard sale.

Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transcendence
Waking: A Memoir of Trauma and Transcendence
by Matthew Sanford
Price: $10.82
148 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent yoga memoir, March 23, 2011
I've been reading a stack of yoga memoirs these days, and so far, Matthew Sanford's "Waking" is by far the best one I've read yet. The narrative he presents has a definitive arc to it, and he tells his story beautifully. In some of the other yoga memoirs I've read, the ego and pretentious writing overpowers the story. (And the overall editing is sorely lacking.) Not here, though. Sanford is focused, honest and passionate. I highly recommend this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2012 6:28 AM PDT

The Pot and How to Use It: The Mystery and Romance of the Rice Cooker
The Pot and How to Use It: The Mystery and Romance of the Rice Cooker
by Roger Ebert
Price: $12.74
126 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars waste of money, October 2, 2010
This book was a huge disappointment. This "book" is basically a blog. The design of the book makes it seem more robust than it really is. Lots of wasted space throughout. Typical "chapters" are anywhere from half a page of text to one-and-a-half pages (OK, one "chapter is almost three pages). Roger Ebert's style of writing is an acquired taste, I think, so if you're into him, you may find this book amusing. He tries to inject humor and whimsy into everything but doesn't really address the "HOW TO USE IT" part. The majority of pages in this book are devoted to comments by Ebert's blog readers. My reaction to this was "WHO CARES?" I didn't find this part interesting at all, although I suppose some people (fans) would. Now I'm back in the market for a rice cooker book that really says something ... I should have returned Ebert's book shortly after I got it. My advice is not to waste your money on this one ...

Page: 1 | 2