Profile for Rhonda DC > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rhonda DC RSS Feed (FL, United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Dave Bing: A Life of Challenge
Dave Bing: A Life of Challenge
by Drew Sharp
Price: $13.46
65 used & new from $2.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Why did I pick this book to review?, January 4, 2013
I keep asking myself why I chose to review this book. I think was because it had potential to tell story about someone who has overcome a lot and has had an interesting life. Well, that just got ruined by the author. Every page dragged on and on until eventually I just hated picking up the book to read any more of it. I felt I was reading a book for a college class like Basketball 101, or Political Science 200, or Entrepreneurship 100. I have pushed myself to read, but at page 26, I just can't read any more. The fun of reading a good biography is that it sucks you into the telling of a story. This did not do that at all. On to the next book to review.....

I received this book for free for this review.

Happy Ending
Happy Ending
Price: $4.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Dark & Depressing!, November 3, 2012
This review is from: Happy Ending (Kindle Edition)
This book was very dark and depressing. I think it would be good for his son to read it someday so that he knows that his father loved him. I feel bad for the author. Would I recommend this book to others? Not really. People that don't do drugs don't want to read about that agony people that go through when they take the drugs. People that do take drugs wouldn't want to read this because its depressing enough to make you want to take drugs if you already do.

It was well written though even if I don't care for the content.

I received this book for free from Open Books for this review.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 5, 2013 12:15 AM PST

Unstoppable: The Incredible Power of Faith in Action
Unstoppable: The Incredible Power of Faith in Action
by Nick Vujicic
Price: $17.53
204 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars So positive it would have Eyeore jumping up and down in excitement!, October 31, 2012
Nick Vujicic is the most incredible and positive author I've seen in a long time. His book is so uplifting that I can't imagine anyone remaining in a depression after reading it!

When I first started reading this book, I was a bit skeptical. I thought "Isn't this guy just a little too perky? I wonder if this is going to be cheesy?" But as I kept reading I saw the real side of him. I saw the depth to his character. He let us see his insecurities.

While I was reading I thought maybe I would have enjoyed reading his autobiography instead, but then I saw a video on his Facebook site saying how this book showed a more vulnerable side. So maybe I glad I read this one. Maybe I will read his autobiography later.

I thought that the best part of the book was the many examples that he told. All of his examples were different stories about himself or others he has met on his life journey.

A lot of people faced with having no limbs would not have the guts to do the public speaking that he does. It is amazing how he can be so positive when I (with all 4 of my limbs) will never be as positive as he is!

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone that is struggling with anything in their life such as depression, self worth, or priorities.

This book is so positive it would have Eyeore jumping up and down in excitement!

I received this book for free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review.

Catching Santa (The Kringle Chronicles, Book 1)
Catching Santa (The Kringle Chronicles, Book 1)
by Marc Franco
Price: $8.76
37 used & new from $0.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Unique and Creative, October 12, 2012
I thought this book was very unique and creative in telling a story about Christmas and Santa. I was quickly captured in the book and did not put it down until I had finished it. I definately recommend this book.

An Unsafe Pair of Hands
An Unsafe Pair of Hands
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Definately British Humor, October 12, 2012
I enjoy reading the subtle and dry humor of the British and this book was no exception. I kept guessing along with the detective throughout the book so to me the ending was a surprise. I really enjoyed this book and would like to read more of this author's work.

Homer's Odyssey
Homer's Odyssey
by Gwen Cooper
40 used & new from $0.81

5.0 out of 5 stars I want to meet Homer :), October 12, 2012
This review is from: Homer's Odyssey (Hardcover)
Before reading this book, I never knew that there was such a thing as a blind cat rescue and sanctuary. I never knew anything about blind cats. Homer is truly "one of a kind." I absolutely loved this book. It's actually been 2 years since I read this book and I can't get Homer out of my mind! Someday I'd like to see sequel made to this book so I could learn more of Homer's adventures.

Reign of the Nightmare Prince
Reign of the Nightmare Prince
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Where am I????, September 8, 2011
I originally read this book once and was totally confused at several points in the book. When I finished the book, I thought, "That's it? Maybe I missed something?" So I read the book again hoping that I would comprehend it better. Maybe I had just read it too quickly. Um, no. I did comprehend it better; however, I had the same results. I still think that the intertwining plots were confusing. Sometimes when the plot would change, I was left wondering who are these new people? How do they relate to the story? What is actually happening in the story? What is actually happening in the background that given to us?

The ending was abrupt. I was left wondering about a few of the characters. For example, what became of Betu and the sick children? Betu was the best part of the book.

This book actually reminded me of something I would have read in school that the class would analyze, and because of this, I did not enjoy it. It felt too much like a class assignment.

I think it would have been better if the setting would have been stated clearer. Such as does it take place in Africa or another third world country, or does it take place in a fictional place, or is it another planet?

Really, what was the editor thinking.....when they decided to publish this thing?

The e format of this book was poor. When I went back to another page to review something, there was no easy way to do it, I just had to keep scrolling until I got there. There were no shortcuts to chapters.

Overall, this was my least favorite of the books I have had to read, and I review on two different sites. Definitely, thumbs down!

I received a copy of this e-book from LibraryThing in exchange for doing an honest review.

The Daughter's Walk: A Novel
The Daughter's Walk: A Novel
by Jane Kirkpatrick
Price: $12.23
102 used & new from $0.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Walking Across Country, June 7, 2011
I can't imagine being told by my mother that we are going to walk across country for 7 months. That sounds wretched! Those poor women went through so many different problems and experiences that I was rather proud of them when they accomplished the journey to New York even if it didn't go as planned. I appreciated this story even more knowing it was based on a true story. The heroine, Clara, had to have been one tough cookie to have lived her entire life the way that she did. I think this story shows how being strong willed isn't necessarily a bad thing when used for good. I wish I could have met her. I strongly recommend this book.

Departures: Two Rediscovered Stories of Christy Miller and Sierra Jensen (The Christy Miller Collection)
by Robin Jones Gunn
Price: $8.80
72 used & new from $0.78

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing the "Punch", May 5, 2011
This book had two stories. The first one featured the beloved character, Christy Miller. The second featured Sierra Jensen. I chose this book because I love the comedy and enduring Sisterchicks series. With that being said, the first story lacked the comedy feature so I found it disappointing. Both of the story lines were not bad; however, seeing Gunn's strengths at comedy writing, the first story just lacked "punch."

Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes (Sisterchicks Series #8)
Sisterchicks in Wooden Shoes (Sisterchicks Series #8)
by Robin Jones Gunn
Price: $11.43
95 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Summer Is Like Me!, April 7, 2011
Summer is like me! That's why I love this book! I can imagine trying to have my picture taken with my friend only to have our bikes roll down the hill into the canal and disappear. I strongly recommend this book and this series to any "sisterchick" looking for friendship and a good laugh. This was a wonderful light read that helped me just get a way from everyday life and have some fun. I feel as if I made two new friends, Summer and Noelle. Every one of the books in this series has made me laugh hysterically at the characters' antics. I have three more countries to visit and I've completed the series. Thanks Robin Jones Gunn.

Page: 1 | 2