Profile for randmname > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 25

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

randmname "prime fanatic" RSS Feed (Chicago, IL USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Samsung UN75HU8550 75-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV
Samsung UN75HU8550 75-Inch 4K Ultra HD 120Hz 3D Smart LED TV
Price: $5,497.99
33 used & new from $4,240.60

4.0 out of 5 stars My observations on the video performance this 2014 Flat Flagship TV!, August 27, 2014
I've had my 75" 8550 for a few days. So far pretty happy, it will be staying. This review is focused on the video performance.

Black levels are pretty good, exceeding my expectations in all but the darkest scenes in a pitch black room. No DSE. On super bright scenes, light levels within 1/2" of the border are a little lower than the rest of the panel, this is easily observable in the store and one of those things you just have to acknowledge with these super-thin TVs.

Uniformity is good - there's a fair amount of light bleed in the corners using the default Backlight settings in the teens, but this is minimized with a Backlight setting of 8 which I've been happy with for all viewing. It is mostly visible in dark 2.35:1 content. I'm left wondering if the HU9000's "Cinema Black" might do a better job fixing this light bleed, but not enough to pay extra, or be "that guy with a silly curved TV" in 5 years when the fad has passed. I differentiate this "light bleed" from "flashlighting" since this is just a straight line of light, not a large blotch in each corner.

A little blooming can be detected on dark scenes, but this primarily shows up when the "No Signal" message is bouncing around the screen or titles/credits, not cinema content.

Occasional HDMI dropouts are an issue, but this could be because I need a 90 degree adapter to use the rear-facing ARC-enabled HDMI input. Given that we are supposed to use this TV to view 4K content, the ARC connection is critical for transmitting the audio to a HT system. Curse you, Samsung, for making this critical HDMI port rear-facing! ARC is also a little tricky to get working with my Marantz AV8801, but I think I have it largely worked out.

It is important to make sure to check all video processing settings on all devices - cable boxes, BD players, and receivers, to decide what is doing the video processing, and ensure that you're not rescaling things 2-3 times. I am currently having my Comcast X1 output 1080p/60, my Oppo BDP93 output 1080p/60 and 1080p/24, and the Marantz AV8801 doing passthru only with no scaling.

Lip Sync is a bit suspicious, the jury is still out on that. I have HDMI Auto Lip Sync set to on and it worked fine with my Panasonic GT50, but I wasn't happy with it on the HU8550 so I added delay in my AV8801. I'm sure some of this is the upscaling to 4k - which I could offload to the AV8801, but I think that the higher bitrate signal may add to the HDMI dropouts. Still too early to make a final judgement on that.

I'm a hater of the Soap Opera Effect, but I have been enjoying the Auto Motion Plus set to Custom with Blur set to 6-8 and Judder set to 0. No hiccups or glitches. The black frame insertion feature "LED Clear Motion" works well and I enjoyed it while I had it on, but it needs a backlight in the teens to be bright enough (which introduces some of the light bleed I am trying to avoid). It just looks too dim with my backlight setting of 8.

Submitted the Video Pack rebate on Friday night, approved Monday afternoon. Not looking forward to pulling the TV off the wall to get the USB rigged up, but that's life I guess.

One final thought - someone posted a quote from a Samsung exec stating that curved flagships were outselling flat ones by 3:1. I asked my local Big Box delivery team, and they said they maybe delivered 2-3 curved TVs a week, and the return rate was very high, while the flat ones were delivering several times a day.

Monoprice 40-Feet Slim Series High Speed HDMI Cable with RedMere Technology (109171)
Price: $61.43
11 used & new from $50.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Another tricky HDMI install solved by RedMere!, April 30, 2014
I love these RedMere cables. They have 2 purposes, and they excel at both. Shorter distance RedMere cables can be super thin, and longer distance RedMere cables are still thick, but exceed the distance available with standard HDMI. I have never had a RedMere cable fail me, or provide anything but flawless service.

GGI International Waterproof LED Tea Light Candles, White, 10-Pack
GGI International Waterproof LED Tea Light Candles, White, 10-Pack
Offered by Wonhot
Price: $8.57
5 used & new from $3.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Fakey color, April 30, 2014
Don't really like the color of these, and they weren't really returnable. Would not buy these candles again, better options available.

J-2000M Jiffy Garment Steamer with Metal Steam Head, 120 Volt
J-2000M Jiffy Garment Steamer with Metal Steam Head, 120 Volt
Price: $199.65
19 used & new from $142.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes, this is the one you want., April 30, 2014
This steamer has changed our life. Shirts that I once thought should be dry cleaned, can now be steamed back into top form.

J-Tech Digital JTD-MINI-1x2SP 2 Port 1X2 Powered Hdmi Super Mini Splitter for Full Hd 1080P with 3D Capability
Offered by J-Tech Digital, Inc
Price: $15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just the trick, solved lots of HDMI issues, April 30, 2014
In our office we had some complex HDMI Matrix switches that were about $400 each, that never really worked. Screens flickered, HDCP handshakes failed, you name it. And we didn't even need matrix capability.

So instead I thought we'd try to insert a $20 solution, and VOILA! These work great, I've deployed 4 of them and now have 0 complaints.

AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet
AmazonBasics 16-Gauge Speaker Wire - 100 Feet
Price: $9.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what you expect, no more no less, another hit from AmazonBasics, April 30, 2014
If you want simple 16AWG speaker wire, and don't want to deal with the junk that might just be CCA (copper clad aluminum) or that old lamp cord your grandparents used, put your faith and trust in AmazonBasics. It will do you right for any satellite/compact bookshelf speakers.

Arlington LV1-10 Low Voltage Mounting Bracket, 1-Gang, Black, 10-Pack
Arlington LV1-10 Low Voltage Mounting Bracket, 1-Gang, Black, 10-Pack
Price: $14.34
11 used & new from $9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect low-voltage (data/av) solution, April 30, 2014
I love these wall plates. Much better than the flimsy metal ones you find at retailers like Home Depot or Ace. The positive gripping action makes them super strong for holding whatever cable exit you end up with snug against the wall. They won't rip out with excessive torquing from thick or bulky cables.

If you think a 10-pack is excessive, don't worry - you'll find plenty of friends who need help hiding their wires as nicely as you.

Etekcity® Optical SPDIF Toslink/Coaxial Digital to RCA L/R Analog Audio Converter with 3.5mm Jack Support Headphone/Speaker Outputs
Offered by Etekcity

5.0 out of 5 stars No static while idle! YES!, January 7, 2014
Many of these toslink-analog DACs put out static when they are idle/not receiving any signal. This was a direct drop-in replacement for one of those, and I am quite happy.

Back to the Roots AquaFarm v2 (Countaging May Vary)
Back to the Roots AquaFarm v2 (Countaging May Vary)
Price: $59.99
16 used & new from $40.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Sad way to experience Betta ownership, January 7, 2014
This tank is a sad way to let a betta live. The marketing material describes a utopian vision of fish ownership where you sprinkle seeds on the top, food in the water, and instant harmony and balance are achieved.

The reality is far, far different.

- Bettas need warmer water than this provides.
- The booklet contains no information on water quality or testing.
- Only the wheatgrass was able to grow, the other plants never grew over a very, very small level.
- The betta need some silk plants or something to keep them busy/entertained.

After buying this tank, be prepared to buy:
- thermometer
- heater
- water quality test strips
- beneficial bacteria
- a grow light, or more wheatgrass seeds.
- aquarium salts

Also be prepared to do water changes, which is a big stinky mess given the plants growing on the top.

Sadly, my betta, Frank, did not survive in this tank, so I would recommend a more traditional setup with a filter, water treatment, and water changes.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2014 5:20 PM PST

Siege 63001 Stainless Steel Sink and Cookware Scratch Remover
Siege 63001 Stainless Steel Sink and Cookware Scratch Remover
Offered by International Coffee & Books
Price: $14.59
3 used & new from $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Much cheaper than a new sink!, May 16, 2013
I bought a home where the workers had previously used the Blanco stainless kitchen sink for all kinds of construction tasks... so lots of nasty scratches from tools - both deep straight ones, and swirls from cleanup efforts using steel wool or sand paper.

Using this kit, my sink really does look 95% better. It hid the scratches, restored the natural "grain" to my stainless sink. I am super picky about quality and detail, and I can honestly say this product saved me from spending $600 to replace the sink.

For the one-star user that used it on their refrigerator... the product is CLEARLY labeled all over saying that it is not for use on appliances.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 2, 2014 7:14 AM PDT