Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for A Voracious Reader > Reviews

Browse

A Voracious Reader's Profile

Customer Reviews: 823

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A Voracious Reader RSS Feed (NC, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Freaky Time with Frankenstein: Monster Erotica
Freaky Time with Frankenstein: Monster Erotica
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars It.Is.Alive!, March 7, 2016
*Book source ~ Kindle Unlimited

Lisa works at the County Coroner’s Office and when the sexy man she’s been admiring ends up on her table she’s so disappointed. She didn’t have the opportunity to make a play for him, so she decides the next best thing is to bring him back to life. She gives him a few new body parts then hits him with some juice. Will she end up with a creature or BBQ?

Ok, I have to admit that other than the creep factor of bringing a dead guy to life so she can shag him, this is a pretty good story. It starts at 12%, but it doesn’t short-change at the end. Well-written and moderately hot, the only problem with it is it moves too fast to be “believable” and what Lisa does to Henry is despicable. The ending is questionable, too (like nobody is going to look down there after talking to Henry?), but I’ll go with it. Maybe Lisa will move him someplace else. At least the writing is decent and it looks like it’s actually been edited. Big pluses in my book. I’d definitely read more by this author.

The Lady's Tutor
The Lady's Tutor
by Robin Schone
Price: $15.00
34 used & new from $2.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Delicious build up, March 2, 2016
This review is from: The Lady's Tutor (Paperback)
*Book source ~ A review copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

Elizabeth Petre is the perfect politician’s wife. She supports her husband’s climbing career to Prime Minister, she helps her mother with her father’s job as Prime Minister and she loves her two sons more than anything. However, she’s lonely. Her husband hasn’t touched her since she became pregnant with her youngest son and she’s determined to seduce her husband. But how to go about it when you’re a properly brought up Victorian wife? By arranging secret lessons with the Bastard Sheikh, Ramiel Devington, that’s how. She refuses to cheat on her husband, so Ramiel gives her a book to read and demands that she return each morning for discussion of each chapter. However, during these intimate sessions, they become close until it’s nearly impossible to refrain from acting on their attraction. But when Elizabeth’s life takes a sinister turn, all the things she thought she knew are torn away from her and she’s left with the raw painful truth. Will their budding relationship survive a condemning and ruthless ton?

I derive a secret giddy pleasure from historical erotica. It’s just so very naughty! While this historical romance has erotic subject matter it’s all just discussion and the reading of the book until much later when Elizabeth and Ramiel finally give into their attraction. The buildup is delicious! I really like the characters, even the secondary ones. It’s a tad wordy for me, but the twists are wonderful even if the drama toward the end is a bit overdone. Still, this is a book that will tug at your heart as well as other *ahem* places.

Revival, Vol. 2: Live Like You Mean It
Revival, Vol. 2: Live Like You Mean It
Price: $5.61

3.0 out of 5 stars frustrating, February 29, 2016
2.5

*Book source ~ Library

Things are getting crazy in central Wisconsin where the dead have come back to life and returned to their everyday routine. No one knows what’s going on, but one thing is certain; as the government and religious institutions butt heads, the lockdown situation is about to explode.

Again, the concept is great and I love the artwork. However, it’s like watching a cartoon character’s legs spin in place while they try to run away. It’s not really going anywhere. Em is still unlikeable and Dana is clueless. A murder is solved but that’s about it. There’s still not a single clue, not one tiny crumb of info as to how this situation started and what the flock is that white thing running around? I’m frustrated and unwilling to continue.

Revival, Vol. 1: You're Among Friends
Revival, Vol. 1: You're Among Friends
by Tim Seeley
Price: $10.95
128 used & new from $4.00

3.0 out of 5 stars interesting, February 29, 2016
*Book source ~ Library

Wausau, Wisconsin is ground zero for Revival Day. No one has any idea why the dead have come back to life and continued on their business like nothing happened. The county is in lockdown while the CDC checks to see if it’s contagious and Officer Dana Cypress, daughter to the Sheriff, has been put in charge of the R.C.A.T. (The Revitalized Citizen Arbitration Team) and she’ll be working with the CDC liaison, Ibrahaim Ramin. Between people getting an extreme case of cabin fever and nutcases wanting in to be healed by the Revivers, the police resources are stretched beyond thin. The last thing Dana needs is her little sister coming home from college with a secret. She begs Dana not to tell their dad she’s a Reviver and asks for Dana’s help in finding who murdered her. Can this situation get any worse? Don’t ask.

Great concept and I love the artwork. But there’s so much going on that I was kinda lost a lot of time. There are so many people tossed around that it’s confusing. Plus, I thought Em, Dana’s little sister, was gonna be kinda cool, but I actually can’t stand her. I have book 2, so I’ll continue on, but I’m not overly impressed with the story so far.

Green River Killer
Green River Killer
by Jeff Jensen
Price: $17.37
57 used & new from $10.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, February 27, 2016
This review is from: Green River Killer (Paperback)
*Book source ~ Library

Jeff Jensen, son of Detective Tom Jensen, tells the story in graphic novel form of the decades long hunt and arrest of the infamous Green River Killer.

I’ve heard of the Green River Killer over the years, but I never delved into the background. Sad considering I earned an Associates in Applied Science in Criminal Justice. I’m bad and ashamed. *hangs head* Anyway, this is a great telling of how things went down. Using flashbacks between 2003 and the 80s (mostly), it gives a lot of detail without going overboard, so I got the gist and can read further in other books if I wish. The illustrations are in black and white and they’re consistent and pretty good. I recommend this for any fan of true crime, serial killers and/or graphic novels.

Jack the Ripper: A Journal of the Whitechapel Murders 1888-1889 (Treasury of Victorian Murder)
by Rick Geary
35 used & new from $0.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Nicely done, February 27, 2016

From Goodreads:
Rick has researched this book extensively and presents, with his own inimitable tongue-in-cheek style, the jack The Ripper mystery as told through a journal of a fascinated Englishman of the day. Both factual and darkly funny, Geary's personal take on this story shines an ironic light on the repressive society that spawned such a monster. TOP TEN QUICK PICKS '96 American Library Association (YALSA)

Having never read any books about Jack the Ripper, I feel this graphic novel is a good starting point. It certainly whets the appetite to learn more details about what went down than the bare facts depicted here. Supposedly this is from an interested Englishman’s journals kept during the time of the attacks and I can say, this armchair detective uses a lot of !!!. The illustrations are quite detailed and I enjoyed them even if they are done in black and white. My 16-yr-old saw the book on my desk and was interested until he leafed through it and said, “Nope. There’s no color.” I said, “But it’s really good!” He said, “No.” So I said, “But it’s an historical book! They didn’t have color back then.” I got a “look”. You know the one, it says, “Really, mom? Just…really?” Well, I tried. lol Any fan of Jack the Ripper should pick this up. I think it would be a great addition to any collection.

The Dirt on Ninth Grave: A Novel (Charley Davidson Series)
The Dirt on Ninth Grave: A Novel (Charley Davidson Series)
by Darynda Jones
Price: $18.35
67 used & new from $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Unable to put down, February 25, 2016
*Book source ~ NetGalley

Sleepy Hollow, New York. Janey Doerr showed up in an alley behind a diner a month ago and no one, herself included, knows who she is. Taken under the diner owner’s wing, she works and tries to figure out who she is, where she comes from, why she can see dead people and sense people’s emotions. Not wanting to be called crazier than people already believe, she doesn’t confide in any of her new friends what she can do. But things are getting weirder by the day and something big and scary is after her. What’s an amnesiac with questionable super powers supposed to do?

After being tossed off the huge cliff in the last book, I couldn’t wait to get my greedy mitts on this book. It picks up a month after the end of Eighth Grave After Dark with Charley suffering from amnesia and surrounded by her friends and husband though she has no idea who they are.

Full of the same humor, mystery and paranormal hotness that is Reyes as the previous books, this story doesn’t push the main story arc along much further than it already was. But that’s ok. I totally enjoyed it anyway. Charley does some of her trademark off-the-wall stuff, solves some problems, creates some more problems, and by the end she has her memory back. A little too repetitious about how nommy Reyes is (yes, I know he is, I don’t need it spelled out continuously) and Charley is still a bit too ditzy though I cut her some slack for being mind-wiped and not remembering she shouldn’t be going off on her own. Where this is going from here, I have no idea. But I’ll definitely be catching the next train to Charleytown to find out.

Heart Collector
Heart Collector
by Jacques Vandroux
Price: $10.99
52 used & new from $0.43

4.0 out of 5 stars Translation troubles(?), but not bad, February 23, 2016
This review is from: Heart Collector (Paperback)
3.5

*Book source ~ Kindle First

Captain Nadia Barka has many years of experience being a police officer. When the case of a mutilated woman left in a locked baptistery falls to her to solve, she’s stumped. With very few leads she catches a break when a computer technician tells her he saw the abduction and murder, but they were visions, not hard evidence. Barka is skeptical, but with no other leads to follow she checks out his story. Julien Lombard thinks he’s going crazy when he witnesses a second woman’s abduction and murder. Why is he seeing these things? But more importantly, how can he convince the police to take him seriously when he can’t convince himself?

Told from several POVs this tale of suspense isn’t exactly trouble-free. There is some head jumping and some awkwardness in the writing and dialogue that could be from the translation from French to English. Also, there are an inordinate amount of exclamation marks. However, the story was compelling enough for me to soldier on and I’m glad I did. A serial killer with his own weird agenda, a dedicated cop and her team, and a man who is suddenly thrown into a situation he never believed would be possible. I love the touch of the paranormal and the way everyone hunts down leads in trying to prevent another murder from happening. An enjoyable suspenseful read.

Green Arrow Vol. 2: Triple Threat (The New 52)
Green Arrow Vol. 2: Triple Threat (The New 52)
by Ann Nocenti
Price: $12.14
89 used & new from $4.65

2.0 out of 5 stars Nope, February 19, 2016
*Book source ~ Library

Green Arrow is set upon by triplets and lets his little brain do the thinking. After which he goes to China and screws the pooch. Not literally, thank goodness though after that first storyline I wouldn’t be surprised.

Ok, seriously? This has got the stupidest superhero story I’ve read yet. Other than Green Arrow/Oliver clearly letting his testosterone run the show, I had no idea wtf this entire thing was about. The artwork’s not bad if we’re talking about everything except Green Arrow. Oliver Queen looks normal, but Green Arrow keeps hulking out more and more. Soon he’ll actually be Hulk-sized. Supremely ridiculous and I’m done with this series.

Green Arrow Vol. 1: The Midas Touch (The New 52)
Green Arrow Vol. 1: The Midas Touch (The New 52)
by Dan Jurgens
Price: $9.14
122 used & new from $3.16

2.0 out of 5 stars Meh, February 19, 2016
*Book source ~ Library

Green Arrow/Oliver Queen is having problems with some villains who think it’s ok to sow destruction and live stream it. Rush and his gang need to be taken down, but Green Arrow also has to deal with some kind of toxic waste monster and his lady love, Blood Rose. Will Green Arrow prevail?

I have to say that I found this parallel story ho-hum. Though the live stream of the idiots trying to kill Green Arrow was a decent idea in this day and age of technology and videos galore. I have no idea wtf is going on with the toxic thing and Blood Rose. And I find I really don’t care. Most of the art is decent but I have to say that Green Arrow looks like he’s on steroids. He’s like Oliver Queen hulked out. It’s ridiculous. I have Volume 2 from the library, so I’ll give it a go, but I’m not hopeful.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20