Profile for Erin E. Turowski > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 33

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Erin E. Turowski RSS Feed (Boston, MA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Olympus TG-620 Tough iHS Waterproof Digital Camera (Blue) with Case and Float Strap

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little camera - held up to snorkeling in Bora Bora, September 4, 2013
I bought this camera to take on my honeymoon in Tahiti and Bora Bora, knowing that we would be taking a snorkeling trip with sharks and stingrays. I was not disappointed!

For a reasonable price, I got a snappy little camera that I can literally take anywhere. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this camera has a 5X optical zoom (which is a nice feature in a waterproof point-and-shoot camera) and lots of nice pre-set modes. I used the "pop art" and "HDR" modes a lot on vacation to capture some of the colors of the tropics. The carrying case is nice, too - slim, sleek, and functional, with a handy wrist strap.

But, if you are looking at this camera, you are probably the most curious about its underwater capabilities. Well, this camera delivers! I took so many GORGEOUS pictures of tropical fish underwater - this camera did an awesome job capturing colors and taking pictures in low light settings. I recommend using the "beach" or "underwater" modes, because my underwater pictures in the "auto" mode came out a bit blurry. The rest of the pictures were wonderful, though - I posted some sample images in the image gallery ( http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00CYAZTTQ/ref=cm_cmu_up_thanks_hdr ).

Overall, I really like this camera. It is solid and reliable underwater, and it also takes great pictures on land. I would definitely recommend it if you are looking for an affordable point-and-shoot underwater camera.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2013 12:19 PM PDT

Bora Bora Strategy Board Game
Bora Bora Strategy Board Game
Price: $36.39
39 used & new from $33.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful game board, great for seasoned board gamers, September 4, 2013
I bought this game to play with my usual board game group. We traditionally play eurogames and favor Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, Agricola, etc.

When I opened the box, the first thing I noticed was that the game is visually stunning. The colors are beautiful, and the pictures are intricate and gorgeous.

The second thing I noticed was that there are NO words on the game board. None. While this makes the game easy to market internationally, it can complicate learning the rules.

So, with that said, it is a typical Stefan Feld dice game. If you have played "Castles of Burgundy," then many aspects of "Bora Bora" will seem familiar. Each player gets a mini game board, in addition to the central shared board, and the actions each player can take on his or her turn are based on the numbers rolled on the three dice. There are a lot of "games within the game" and pieces to keep track of, but again, this is pretty typical for Stefan Feld's games and some other eurogames.

Even though this game is beautiful and fun once you learn the rules, learning the game play is non-trivial, even for seasoned board gamers. When three of my friends and I sat down to play for the first time, it was almost a disaster - it took so long to get through the rules that we had a lot of trouble even making it through two rounds (there are six rounds in a full-length game). It was so hard for all of us to try to follow one book of rules that I tried to struggle through the French instructions to help. My recommendation is to have at least one player read through the rules completely ahead of time (there is a PDF version on Board Game Geek) so someone can "lead the way" while everyone else learns along. Once you understand the rules, they make a lot of sense (men with more "tattoos" have more "status," and "shells" are used to make "jewelry"), but getting there can be difficult.

Overall, I would definitely recommend this game to experienced board game players - it might be a bit much for the casual player to start with, but the game is fun, and the set is very well made and beautiful to behold. Just make sure you have enough time on your hands for everyone to learn!

Harney and Sons Rooibos Chai, Caffeine-Free Herbal 20 Sachets per Box
Harney and Sons Rooibos Chai, Caffeine-Free Herbal 20 Sachets per Box
Offered by Etailz
Price: $9.76
5 used & new from $6.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Delicious!, March 8, 2013
This tea is amazing - I bought some for my fiancé, who loves rooibos tea. He is a big fan of this stuff! The "chai" flavor is pretty subtle, but the overall flavor in this tea blend is amazing. I prefer it to the Starbucks/Tazo rooibos tea, although it is a bit more expensive.

ASICS Women's Gel-Phoenix 4 Running Shoe,Neon Pink/White/Electric Blue,9.5 M US
ASICS Women's Gel-Phoenix 4 Running Shoe,Neon Pink/White/Electric Blue,9.5 M US

5.0 out of 5 stars My first pair of running shoes - flashy and supportive, March 8, 2013
I bought these shoes when I began training for a 5K (hey, I'm just a beginner, cut me some slack). The colors are very nice - I always get compliments on them, even though I feel like I am "that girl" wearing pink shoes to the gym. :) The insoles are nicely padded - I feel like I am walking on a cushion when I wear them. They are lightweight and comfortable. These are a very nice pair of running shoes, and I will be buying more Asics in the future!

Champion Women's 3 Pack High Performance Low Cut Heel Shield Socks, White, 5-9
Champion Women's 3 Pack High Performance Low Cut Heel Shield Socks, White, 5-9
Offered by Sports Apparel & Intimates
Price: $6.64
12 used & new from $6.64

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite athletic socks ever - I bought 15 pairs!, March 8, 2013
These are wonderful, lightweight, stretchy athletic socks. They fit my feet nicely (women's size 9 1/2), and they are snug enough to stay in place through a 3-mile run. They dry quickly if you sweat in them, and the contoured edge hugs your ankle to keep the socks in place without being too restrictive. I bought 15 pairs of them because it seems like once I find a sock I like, I can never find them again! I will probably buy a few more pairs to keep me stocked up.

Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran Yarn 027 Silver
Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran Yarn 027 Silver

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful yarn, true to color, March 8, 2013
This yarn is a good knitting weight (slightly thick worsted) and has a nice body to it. The color is true to the photograph shown, albeit with a very slight yellow/tan tint. The cashmere/merino blend is very soft, although not quite as soft as some other cashmere blends I have found. My one complaint is that the yarn has occasional long, scratchy fibers interspersed throughout its length. I pulled them out as I knit - they were more annoying than anything else, but because I knit for other people, I didn't want my customers to see these stragglers and think they were cat fur poking out of the yarn.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2013 7:16 PM PST

White Sierra Women's Insulated Bib
White Sierra Women's Insulated Bib
Price: $36.95 - $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ski pants, reasonable price, March 8, 2013
I am 5'8" and 160 pounds, and the large fits me just fine.

These are great pants for a great price! They are lightly insulated to keep you warm, although I may put a pair of long underwear underneath the pants for some added warmth. These pants are made of a sturdy, matte black nylon fabric with an inner liner. The liner has skinny elastic strips at the ankles to keep it from riding up your legs. There is a triangular elastic panel at each hip, so the pants really hug your body nicely. These will be perfect for my ski trip in Breckenridge next week!

The one (minor) complaint I had about these pants was that when they were delivered (quite promptly, might I add), the shipper managed to cram the whole outfit into a USPS Priority Mail flat rate legal envelope! This made me a bit wary of the thickness/quality, but the inner package had been vacuum sealed so the pants somehow fit into the envelope. It almost exploded like a tube of Pillsbury biscuits when I opened it, though. :)

Five stars! Would definitely recommend.

FURminator Short Hair deShedding Tool for Cats, Small
FURminator Short Hair deShedding Tool for Cats, Small
Price: Click here to see our price
10 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm a vet, and I LOVE the Furminator!, August 6, 2012
I am a veterinarian and wholeheartedly recommend this for any cat with an excessive fur problem. It works so well!

I bought a Furminator because my cat was over-grooming and vomiting a TON of hairballs due to the summer heat wave. When my Furminator arrived, I was surprised to see that it was simply a clipper blade mounted into a very sturdy and comfortable handle. I was even more surprised to see how much hair it removed from my cat! He doesn't even mind being brushed - in fact, he loves it! He wiggles his butt up in the air when I brush his back, and he rubs his whiskers against the edge of the brush and purrs when I brush his head. In about ten minutes, I can remove half of a small trash can full of fur from my kitty! He looks obviously different, too - you can tell that the undercoat (the fuzzy hairs) have been stripped from his coat. Best of all, I can tell he is more comfortable in the heat - he is grooming much less, I have fewer "kitty tumbleweeds" flying around my floor, and he has not vomited one single hairball since I bought the Furminator!

[I have a 15-pound adult male domestic shorthair. I bought the smaller shorthair cat Furminator (the large cat one was about twice the price), and I haven't had any problems with it. It probably takes longer to brush the entire cat than it would with the large cat version, but I can manage just fine.]

Q-Snap Frame, 8 by 8-Inch
Q-Snap Frame, 8 by 8-Inch
Offered by Court House Supplies
Price: $12.20
18 used & new from $7.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Purchased both the 8" x 8" and the 11" x 11" frames. Love them both!, June 16, 2012
This review is from: Q-Snap Frame, 8 by 8-Inch (Misc.)
I posted a similar review for the 11" x 11" Q-Snap frame, but there are a few differences between the 11" x 11" and the 8" x 8" frames, and I bought them both, so I will review the 8" one here.

The major difference between the two sizes, besides the dimensions, is that while the 11" frame has connector pieces between the corner pieces, the corner pieces attach directly to each other in the 8" size, and the frame comprises only 4 pieces and 4 clamps instead of 8 pieces and 4 clamps. This does not functionally affect the frame once it is assembled, it just means that there are four fewer piece to lose with the 8" x 8" frame.

The great things about this frame, regardless of size:

1.) Rounded cross section. The PVC pieces are 1" diameter and completely smooth and circular, there aren't any sharp edges to crease or distort your fabric. To adjust the tension in your fabric, just rotate the clip-on pieces inward (to loosen) or outward (to tighten).

2.) PVC pipe composition. The PVC pipe is lightweight and strong, so your hands won't get tired from holding a heavy hoop, and your fingers won't cramp like they do after hours of curling around a hoop.

3.) Square frame shape. If you work on square pieces, the shape of the Q-Snap frames allows you to position the frame right at the edge of your design, exposing maximal workspace for you to stitch so you don't have to move the frame nearly as often as you would with a hoop. To reach the corner of a square or rectangular piece with a hoop, you have to position the hoop way over to the side to reach the very outside of the corner.

4.) Modular design. The pieces are interchangeable with other Q-snap frame pieces, meaning that you can mix and match to create non-standard frame sizes and you can add in extender pieces (sold separately). It is quite easy to find the perfect size Q-snap frame for whatever piece you are stitching!

All of these things combine to make this a useful, versatile, durable frame that will make you throw your circular hoops away for good! I love my Q-Snaps!

Q-Snap Frame, 11 by 11-Inch
Q-Snap Frame, 11 by 11-Inch
Offered by Court House Supplies
Price: $13.29
19 used & new from $8.35

5.0 out of 5 stars No more hoop marks EVER!, June 16, 2012
Let's face it, hoop marks are a pain. Who wants to spend 100+ hours on a big needlework project only to have it marred by a circle of creased fabric and flattened stitches? Not this girl, and now I don't have to!

There are so many great things about this frame:

4.) Modular design. I have uploaded a picture of pieces in the 11" frame at http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/permalink/mo3PP84BBSJ0IIW/B00013MV30/ref=cm_ciu_images_pl_link. You can see that this particular frame comprises 4 corner pieces (7" on one side, 2" on the other), 4 connector pieces (2" long), and 4 C-shaped clamp pieces (8" long). The pieces are interchangeable with other Q-snap frame pieces, meaning that you can mix and match to create non-standard frame sizes and you can add in extender pieces (sold separately). It is quite easy to find the perfect size Q-snap frame for whatever piece you are stitching!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4