Profile for Sadie > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1999

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sadie RSS Feed (Ventura, CA United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Corel CorelDRAW Home and Student Suite X7 (3-Users)
Corel CorelDRAW Home and Student Suite X7 (3-Users)
Price: Click here to see our price
42 used & new from $81.99

4.0 out of 5 stars For graphic designers and illustrators, October 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Corel Draw is more of a graphic art/design tool than a photo shop tool. It’s comparable to Adobe Illustrator. Although you can import photos into Coral Draw, it’s not the best software to manipulate photos. Try Corel PaintShop Pro for better photo editing.

CorelDraw has numerous templates to choose from to design anything from stationery to flyers to posters to newsletters. This can be used for both business and home. You can import photos, draw, make fancy fonts, curved lines and color using layers.

It comes with a link to an on-line quick start guide, which gives a general overview of the tools and what they do. There are also videos and tutorials you can click on right inside the software.

Set up took some time. The CD worked fine. It took about 15-20 minutes to download the software onto my computer. Once downloaded it did not leave an icon on my desktop or toolbar. If you have Windows 7 it’s easy to find by clicking on the start icon and searching for it under all programs. If you have Windows 8, like me, forget about it (don’t even get me started on what a major fail of a design Windows 8 is, but MS didn’t get the memo that “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.) Anyway, with Windows 8 I needed to go to the page with all the useless apps and do a search for CorelDraw. The icon showed up in my toolbar and opened with a request to log in or register. Since I have other Corel products I assumed I was already registered, so I requested a password reset. Once I reset my password it wouldn’t allow me to login saying I wasn’t registered. So, I tried to register and it told me I was already registered. It allowed me in the second time I logged in using my new password. But it still didn’t leave the icon on my toolbar once I closed the software. I had to search for it again and this time, I right clicked and set it to my toolbar. All-in-all it took 45 minutes for total set-up.

There’s far too much packaging for this product, which is a CD. The box was too large, plus it comes with a heavy cardboard insert to hold the CD. The manufacturers should design something smaller since the outer box is solely for advertising purposes.

Ritz Solid Reversible Microfiber Dish Drying Mat, Cactus/Ocean
Ritz Solid Reversible Microfiber Dish Drying Mat, Cactus/Ocean
Price: $8.99
2 used & new from $6.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than a drying rack., October 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I use these types of drying mats every day and I love them. The Ritz mat is longer than the others I have. It has lines so you can fold it into thirds. Folding it up makes for one very thick mat.

The instructions say to wash in cold water because the colors may bleed. I soaked it in a sink of very warm water and squeezed it out, but it did not bleed at all. I then washed it with like colors in warm water in the washer and it didn't shrink. Pop it in the dryer and it's as soft and plush as when brand new.

I hang mine on a hanger with two clips and hang the hanger over a hook. That allows air to circulate around the mat to dry it.

Once you use this, you'll never settle for a towel or even a drying rack. This is so much more convenient.

Goal Zero 94014 Rock Out 2 Green Solar Rechargeable Speaker
Goal Zero 94014 Rock Out 2 Green Solar Rechargeable Speaker
Price: $129.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Equipment, October 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Goal Zero makes rugged equipment for the outdoor adventurer. Or, just for those of us who want to be prepared for the end of the world. Or, maybe just the next major earthquake that’s going to knock power out for hours at a time. Whatever your reason, Goal Zero gear with its solar recharging panels is the way to go.

The Rock Out speaker comes fully charged. It’s a case with two speakers on the front, the solar panel on the back and a zippered compartment in the center. Unzip it to find a usb cord for recharging via good old fashioned electricity, and a cord that you can use to attach additional speakers to. This cord can also be used to plug the speaker directly into a device that does not have Bluetooth. There’s also a pocket to hold your mp3 playing device like an ipod or digital recorder. For faster charge up using the sun, you can connect them to Goal Zero’s larger Nomad solar panels.

The outside has a bungee cord around the entire device, with a hook so you can attach it to your hiking gear.

What’s Cool: This isn’t just a music speaker. You can attach it via Bluetooth to your cell phone and have two way conversations via the speaker.

Super Simple: There’s not a whole lot going on with this speaker, so it’s easy to use. I put it close to my tablet, pressed the button, and waited for it to connect via Bluetooth. A blue light came on and flashed until it connected. I then went to the Bluetooth settings on my tablet and pressed “Rock Out” to pair. Music immediately started playing through the Goal Zero speakers.

Great Sound: I’m not a speaker expert, but I have several small speakers that connect to electronic devices and this is the best by far. It gets LOUD. I was able to control the volume on both the speaker and on my tablet. When I was done listening, I pressed “Rock Out” on my tablet to unpair it from the speaker.

Needs Improvement: There is no manual shut off. The blue light continues to light up for 20 minutes after the music stops, when it shuts off automatically. This is great if you forget to shut it off, but if you are trying to preserve battery life, it’s a waste because there is no way to shut it off manually.

Could be better: There is no way to tell how much battery life is left on the speakers. The light will flash red when it needs to be recharged, but until then you really don’t know. After playing music on it for about two hours, the light was still blue, so I have no way of knowing just how much play time I’ll get before the need to recharge.

DII Kitchen Millennium Non Adhesive, Smooth Top, Cut to Fit and Washable Shelf or Refrigerator Liner Rolls-12-Inch by 10-Feet, Black, Set of 2
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Cute!, October 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These shelf liners are super cute. I have the black and white. On one side it’s black with white polka dots, on the other it’s white with black lines that give it a checkered look.

I love to line everything – kitchen selves, bathroom drawers, linen shelves - any place that takes a lot of use and abuse. It keeps the wood from getting grungy. One of the first things I thought of when I saw these liners is that they can be cut to fit good china, so you can stack them for storage. The liners are viscose and polyester. They quilted like and will make good padding for dishes.

I used these liners to line some bathroom drawers. The beginning of the roll is folded back with a hard crease in it that doesn’t flatten out. After cutting the liners to shape, I washed the creased one in cold water for about 5 minutes. There was no bleeding of the color. Then I ironed the crease out and set it out to air dry. When the liner was dry is was as stiff as new. They’re made of viscose and polyester, which gives it a stiff starch-like feel, but doesn’t wash out.

I hope they offer these in different colors. I'd love some in purple!

A Cup of Water Under My Bed: A Memoir
A Cup of Water Under My Bed: A Memoir
by Daisy Hernandez
Price: $18.60
59 used & new from $14.07

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty writing without emotion, October 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Daisy Hernandez tells her story of what it was like growing up learning English in a Spanish speaking household. Throughout her childhood she had one foot in her new American roots, with the rest of her grounded in her parent’s Cuban and Columbian language, culture, and worship of Santeria.

She relays with emotion how her drunkard father beat her at a young age, for which she never forgave him. However, when she decides to start dating women, it’s just that – she decided. There’s no emotion attached to her one day deciding that she could date women if she wanted. No mention that she had been thinking about it. She dated men until one day she didn’t. She states that she is bisexual, but once she started dating women she stopped dating men. Her family refuses to acknowledge she has relationships with other women. However, they do not turn their back on her, nor she them.

Hernandez’ writes about feminism, identifies with minorities and takes issue with the “white man,” who keeps everyone down. If she hadn’t been born in the 80’s I would have sworn she was straight out of the 1970s. It’s refreshing to know there are still some feminists out there. Women, myself included, used to wear their feminist label as a badge of honor. Today, women seem to malign the very nature of what a feminist is all about.

Instead of writing about her life in a chronological order, Hernandez tends to jump from one period of her life to another. Skipping ahead and back again, it’s hard to keep up with the timeline. She also writes some dialogue in Spanish but does not give the English translation. I know some Spanish, but was unable to understand all the dialogue. Although her writing style dances off the page, there’s no depth of feeling behind it.

Overall, her story is one that can be identified with by minorities, gay women, and anyone who tries to hold strong to their family ties while developing an independent identity of their own.

Angel Soft Facial Tissue, Soft Packs, 165 Count (Pack of 12)
Angel Soft Facial Tissue, Soft Packs, 165 Count (Pack of 12)
Price: $18.63
2 used & new from $17.60

3.0 out of 5 stars I like the packaging - tissues could be softer, October 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like the compact packaging. It's half the height of a regular cardboard box of tissues. The outer packaging is a Tyvek-type material -the puncture proof material they make envelopes with and use for home weather proofing. It has sort of a vinyl feel to it. My immediate concern was whether or not it could be recycled. The bottom of the pack shows a 4 and requests that it be recycled, so that concern is covered.

The tissues are rough. When compared to my lotion tissues, they are not as thick or soft. I wouldn't use these when I have an allergy attack or a cold because my nose would get raw fast. But, for every once in a while, they're fine. They are perfect for removing makeup because the softer kind tends to pill. I found the perfect place for the pack. My car. I have one of those over the seat caddies that has a place for a tissue box; however, none of the boxes I've been able to find fit the space. They're all too big. This fits perfectly. Slid right in.

IMAK Hand / Elbow Arthritis Gloves Size: Medium
IMAK Hand / Elbow Arthritis Gloves Size: Medium
Offered by Big Blue Supplies
Price: Click here to see our price
6 used & new from $18.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Too tight, September 26, 2014
The right size was way too tight for me. My hand measures 3.5" so I ordered the medium; however, the gloves were so tight they hurt my hands.

If you are sitting right on the edge of the sizing chart, go up a size.

Nutiva O'Coconut Lightly Sweetened Coconut Treat, Hemp & Chia, 24 Count
Nutiva O'Coconut Lightly Sweetened Coconut Treat, Hemp & Chia, 24 Count
Price: $22.70
3 used & new from $22.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Healthy. Not Tasty., September 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A mushy mess of something. These are little round mushy, squishy balls of coconut, chia seeds and hemp. Everything is organic. But, don't be fooled. There's nothing healthy about these. Each is 60 calories, half of which is fat. There is just as much sugar as fat, so you be the judge.

The taste leaves a lot to be desired. After one bite, I threw the rest in the trash.

Goal Zero 42011 Sherpa 100 Solar Recharging Kit
Goal Zero 42011 Sherpa 100 Solar Recharging Kit
Price: $599.95
4 used & new from $599.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant charging device for emergencies or living off the grid, September 15, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Power Pack comes fully charged. This is the part that holds the charge. It can be recharged using an AC current, the Nomad solar panels that come with the kit, or your car battery via the cigarette lighter. The instructions say to use regularly, or at least to charge every 3 months to keep the battery healthy. A cigarette lighter adaptor comes with it that allows you to charge anything you would normally charge from your car’s cigarette lighter. It’s small enough to carry in a backpack or stuff inside a carry-on or purse to use while flying. It’s easy to figure out how to use it.

USB ports: I tried to charge my tablet using both USB ports on the recharger; however, after 30 minutes my tablet had not recharged and showed that it was discharging. There was no problem charging a portable speaker and my e-reader using the USB ports. My tablet’s manufacturer must have designed their USB to only charge on an AC charger.

Laptop Kit: The kit comes with a cord and several electrical prongs. There’s a chart that tells which prong should be used for which brand of laptop. The numbers are clearly marked on each prong. The HP prong is too large for my 2013 HP. In fact, all of the prongs were too large for my laptop. It’s supposed to use up less battery to charge using this kit than using the laptop’s cord. The kit is useless unless it’s updated often for use with current laptops.

AC Inverter: Since I do not have a smartphone with a USB plug, I used the AC Inverter to charge up my cell phone. The battery on my phone was about half way down and it took 1.5 hours to fully charge; a couple of days later when the battery was almost empty it only took 40 minutes to charge. So, charging times will vary. The Inverter can be removed from the recharger and plugged into a car’s lighter to charge from. It’s a conduit and does not hold a charge itself.

Nomad 20 solar panels: The panels come together in a pack that folds over on itself and closes with a magnetized clasp. The outside of the pack is rugged, so these panels can take a beating. There are a lot of loops so you can hook them onto whatever you want in order to secure them in place. The panels must be set up so they are angled toward the sun to power the power pack or your electronic devices individually. The Nomad 20 pack comes with separate plugs to charge different devices while the sun is out. Or, you can hook it up to the Power Pack and recharge it.

Convenience of Use: The main reason I wanted this is to use when the power goes out. Living in California, I can remember how the Northridge earthquake knocked out all the power. We couldn’t even make telephone calls, much less watch the news about the quake. This will allow me to charge my cell phone and electronic devices in case of an emergency. The Power Pack even has an LCD light on.

After charging my cell phone twice, an e-reader and a speaker, the Power Pack is still 80 percent charged, so expect to get a lot of electricity packed in this little device. The only reason this doesn’t garner 5 stars is because of the useless laptop kit.

Always Discreet Incontinence Liners Very Light, Regular Length, 48 Count, Pack of 3
Price: $18.81

2.0 out of 5 stars Too flimsy, September 9, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Always Discreet very light liners in regular length are the same length as the Poise very light liners in long length.

They are very comfortable. I can't even tell when I'm wearing one. And, they do absorb odors very well. I did not detect any urine odor at all while wearing them.

The problem with these liners is that they do not stay open. The sides either roll under or over the pad, leaving just a thin strip down the middle. A bit more adhesive along the edges might solve the problem; however, they just seem flimsy overall.

I wouldn't wear these outside the house because I'm not sure I'd get the protection I need due to the rolling problem.

Just ok, but I still prefer Poise because they stay put and are a sturdier pad. I needed to change the Always pads more often than the Poise -- I'd say 3 to 1. So, from a financial standpoint, Poise is a better deal.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20