Profile for Sadie > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1940

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sadie RSS Feed (Ventura, CA United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Price: $15.99
2 used & new from $15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A guide or manual would be nice, August 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are five bands in different colors and weight. Since the set does not come with a manual to tell you the weights, here are the specs: Yellow Band - Extra Light (6 LBS - 8 LBS) Green Band - Light (9 LBS - 11 LBS) Red Band - Medium (12 LBS - 14 LBS) Blue Band - Heavy (15 LBS - 18 LBS) Black Band - Extra Heavy (22 LBS).

It comes with two handles, which are self-explanatory; and three other pieces, which are not. After reading other reviews, I gather that the two with velcro are for the feet. How they are used, is not clear because there is no manual. The final piece, appears to be for the door handle. Again, there is no clue whatsoever how it’s used. All the pieces shown in the photo at the top of the page are in the set.

The set also comes with a one-page poster that shows a man standing in different positions holding the bands out, indicating which muscles he is working out. There are several positions that appear as if the man is using the door hook, but it doesn’t show the hook, the door, or how the bands are actually hooked to the door.

The convenient: there’s a bag to hold everything in.

The inconvenient: You’ll need to purchase an exercise guide separately from this set if you want to know exactly how to use it.

Bosch GLM 15 Compact Laser Measure, 50-Feet
Bosch GLM 15 Compact Laser Measure, 50-Feet
Price: $49.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy and compact, August 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is about the size of a digital recorder, which fits in the palm of your hand. Small enough to tuck into your shirt pocket or drop in a purse.

The instructions are well written in understandable English; however, it’s so much easier to use than the instructions let on. Position the back of the tool against the wall where you want to begin your measurement, press the button on top with the large arrow, the laser will turn on and measure to the opposite wall. Press the button again and it captures that measurement. Measure the opposite direction, press and both measurements show up. Now, you know your room is 10’ 5” x 11’ 3”. Hold the button for 3 seconds, and it turns off. There’s only one button to operate the tool. Super simple.

What this lacks is the ability to save your measurements. I really wanted to be able to save my measurements so I could take them to the hardware store and just whip out the tool and have the measurements handy. However, this measures, and that’s all.

There are a lot of warnings. Don’t leave it in a hot car trunk. Don’t point it into someone else’s eyes, into your own eyes, or at airplanes, which is illegal anyway. However, it doesn’t say anything about not pointing it at the wall, ceiling or floor and driving your cat crazy trying to catch the laser beam, which is probably a laser requirement.

There are two batteries that come with the measuring tool. The back opens up easy for replacement of batteries. The tool will turn itself off after three minutes of non-use to save on batteries.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2014 3:53 PM PDT

Omron BP785N 10 Series Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Omron BP785N 10 Series Upper Arm Blood Pressure Monitor
Price: $76.97
23 used & new from $70.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use and to read, August 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In addition to taking blood pressure, it also takes your pulse. An icon will show up if your heartbeat is irregular, or if there was too much movement during the reading.

The numbers are large and easy to read. The cuff fits up to a 17” arm.

The cuff is stiff and hooks over the left arm. The underside has a flap that you pull around your underarm and fasten to the upper part. It’s important to get this in exactly the proper position with the hose on the inner part of the arm in order for it to work correctly. Also, make sure the hose is not curled, there must be a straight line to the machine otherwise it will err out.

The machine comes with an electrical plug, which has European prongs and a U.S. attachment. You can also run it on batteries. Or, just use the batteries as a backup to help save your information when it’s unplugged.

There are memory settings for two people. Just slide a lever to tell the machine if you are person 1 or person 2.

There are two ways of getting an average. You can set the machine to take three pressure readings in a row with up to a 60 second delay between, then it gives you an average of the three. I found this gave me a very low pressure reading. It’s possible one of the readings did not take, but since it does not tell you what each individual reading is, it’s hard to tell.

The other way of getting an average is to take individual readings then press a button that saves the reading. Pressing the button again for 3 seconds takes the last three readings and gives you an average. You can toggle through your prior readings using arrow keys.

It does tend to be fussy sometimes and errs out several times in a row. I’ve learned that when it gives me an error message, to take the cuff off and reposition it and to make sure the hose is not curled. Sometimes, I just have to wait a while and try again before it works.

Overall, after two weeks of use, it tends to give me similar readings. There have been no surprises.

Mead Academie Oil Pastels, 24 per Box, Assorted (98026)
Mead Academie Oil Pastels, 24 per Box, Assorted (98026)
Price: $15.36

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too waxy, July 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These oil pastels leave too much waxy film on the paper, which just begs to be blended off. I used them on paper with and without tooth, with the same result.

After putting down the first layer, I blended using a used dryer sheet. This takes off the top layer of wax and leaves a light shade of color on the page. Then I go back over the top and color again. On the toothy paper, the second layer laid down much better, giving it a rich creamy look.

The pastels are thick and need some sharpening with an Exacto knife if you want to use a pointed edge to color with. That's the case with any type of pastel though. Expect waste.

Tombow Mono Professional Drawing Pencil Set, 6 Pencils and Mono Zero Eraser, 2H, HB/B/2B/4B/6B Degrees (61002)
Price: $11.78
9 used & new from $6.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice set of drawing pencils., July 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a good beginning set of drawing pencils. If you are taking a class in drawing and want a beginner set, this will work fine. I did find that I missed the H pencil, because I like to do my preliminary drawing with the H. The 2H will work if you don't draw too lightly, which I do. The HB is a bit too soft for preliminary sketching because it doesn't erase well. The 6B gives a nice soft, rich black, which can be used for the darkest shading. The 4B is also a good shading pencil that's lighter than the 6B.

These pencils sharpened very well. The lead sharpened to a fine point without any breakage.

The eraser is a nice edition; however, it won't erase large portions of graphite. It's real function is to be used as a part of the overall drawing by using it to lift some of the graphite out and create open space. The fact that it comes in a pencil-like holder makes it very easy to use. I'm planning on purchasing the larger size.

HITO™ 6" Alarm Clock w/ Date and Temperature Display, Repeating Snooze, Light-activated Sensor Light and Touch-activated Nightlight- Batteries/ USB powered (White)
Offered by hitoseller
Price: $36.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what I was looking for., July 21, 2014
This is the perfect alarm clock for me. It's battery operated, which is exactly what I wanted because I like the freedom of being able to move the clock around without it being tethered to a cable.

It's so easy to set up. The buttons on the back are large and really need no explanation. Except, that is, for the temperature, which is set for celsius. There are no instructions on how to set it for fahrenheit, Although the box says it can be set for either. I was ready to pack it up and return it, but decided to check the Amazon page first. One of the owners of the clock answered this question. You set it to the "Lock" position, then press the min/date button to set the type of temperature.

I especially like the light sensor button. When on, it glows softly in the dark. The digits are extra large, so you can see what time it is easily enough. If you're looking for a clock that you can read during the day, forget about it because you can't see the time unless you touch the top and the light comes on for a few seconds.

The alarm starts out soft, then with each five minute snooze, gets progressively louder. I like to set my alarm for a half-hour before I need to get up, so was concerned that the alarm would wake the dead by the time I was ready to get up. However, it only reaches a certain level of loudness and stays there. I don't like being blasted out of bed, so this is perfect for me.

Initially, I took away a star because the instructions are gibberish. It's a good thing setting the clock is intuitive, because nobody with a grasp of the English language would be able to understand what the manufacturer of this clock tries to pass off as English. Good Grief, they need to hire someone who's literate in English before they try to write instructions. It reads like they put words on different sheets of paper then tossed them in a hat. Then drew the words out and lined them up and decided to just put a period at some point. Imagine what that would sound like, and you know exactly what the instructions to this clock read like.

I just added that star back in and give this 5 stars because of customer service. They contacted me and told me they are in the process of rewriting their instruction manual so it makes more sense. They pointed out their instructions under the description, and when I mentioned they left out something, they fixed it. I'm all about the customer service, so they deserve that extra star.

Cool Downz Cooling Towel, Blue, 13 x 29-Inch
Cool Downz Cooling Towel, Blue, 13 x 29-Inch

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much a wet cloth, July 21, 2014
This review is from: Cool Downz Cooling Towel (Sports)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a cloth with what feels like some kind of gel in it. It has a waffle weave on one side and slick on the other. You wet it and it's supposed to cool you down. But, I really just feel the coldness of the water on my skin. As I heat up, it starts to feel humid and clammy. I tried this on several occasions and was not able to wear it for longer than 10 minutes before it just became uncomfortable. It's really just a cloth that will hold wetness longer than say a plain cotton cloth.

If you leave it sit out to dry, it turns stiff. Just wet it and it becomes soft again. I wet it and placed it inside the plastic tube it comes in and two weeks later it was still soft and moist. I don't know what the long term effects of that will be. Whether or not mold will start to set in. So, if you're going to store it, I'd recommend letting it dry out before placing it in the tube.

It is washable.

Aylio Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion (Gray)
Aylio Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion (Gray)
Offered by Aylio Wellness
Price: $39.99
3 used & new from $39.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Too hard, too small, too slippery, too expensive!, July 16, 2014
What a waste of money!

First, the foam is far too hard. I purchased this to get some relief from siatica, but it's so hard it actually made it worse.

Second, the seat is too small for the average adult butt. Just place it on a chair and see how small it is compared to the rest of the chair seat. It's child sized.

Third, the cover is so slick that the pillow shoots back as soon as you sit down. Trying to hold onto the front of the pillow while you sit does not help. As soon as you relax in the chair the cushion moves toward the back of the chair. That mean that hump you see, the one that's supposed to go between the legs, actually hits you right smack in the middle of your nether regions. Not comfortable at all.

If they placed a skid-free bottom on this cushion it might be better, but it's still small and hard. I returned it. $40 is far too much for a pillow that is useless.

The Shoal of Time (Micky Knight Mystery Book 8)
The Shoal of Time (Micky Knight Mystery Book 8)
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST Micky Knight Mystery Yet!, July 10, 2014
When I first discovered the Micky Knight mysteries they had not yet come out on kindle. So, I purchased them in paper book form and devoured them. Then, when they came out on Kindle, I bought them all again in digital format (except for a couple, which are not available that way), and read them all a second time.

Then I waited for a new book to come out. Checked Redmann’s website and Amazon on a regular basis for news of a new book. But, when it appeared that the author was pursuing other writing interests, I gave up hope there would ever be a new book. I was pleasantly surprised when I checked again last week only to see that there is indeed a new book. However, it was receiving some pretty dismal ratings. As it turns out, fans were not happy that Micky and Cordelia broke up and were showing their disapproval with low ratings.

Don’t let those low ratings fool you. While Cordelia’s dumping was done in a rather odd way, Micky Knight is at her best when she’s single. The old Micky is back. The misbehaving Micky we all fell in love with in the first few books has returned along with her love of women and their love of her.

I must admit that Redmann made it too easy to figure out who the bad guys were. But, it was a hell of a ride-along while Micky figured things out for herself. There’s an open ended question about Emily, the FBI agent, at the end of the book. I’m hoping it leads to another book where Micky tries to figure out just who Emily is. Those two were made for each other. But, not in a relationship kind of way. No, Micky should stay single. She’s more fun that way.

SE 55in. Howling Wolf Carving Wooden Walking Stick
SE 55in. Howling Wolf Carving Wooden Walking Stick
Offered by SIS E-Store
Price: $15.95
3 used & new from $15.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice looking and sturdy, July 8, 2014
I love my walking stick. I have arthritis and this stick helps me to stay on my feet longer than without it. I take it to the park and to street fairs. I get a lot of compliments on it. People want to know where I got it. Little kids are always curious as to why I'm using a big stick. It's kind of fun. So glad I got it because it allows me to go places that I might avoid because it's difficult to stand around or get around. This stick gives me something to lean on if I need to wait in line, which takes the pressure off my joints.

I've never felt like the stick is anything but sturdy. It's easy to grip from any area. Sometimes I hold it at the top and other times I feel more comfortable holding it a foot or so down. Since there's no grip area, you can choose whatever is most comfortable for you. .

It's easier to use than a cane, which causes pain in my arm. I have better range of motion and can walk faster with the stick. The best part about the stick is that it doesn't make me look feeble or handicapped like a cane does. But, I still feel like it's an outdoor thing and hesitate to take it to the mall. Maybe if the stick were shorter I'd feel more comfortable carrying it around indoors.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20