Profile for Sadie > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2046

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sadie RSS Feed (Ventura, CA United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
A Woman Lost
A Woman Lost
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Too gross for me, December 19, 2014
This review is from: A Woman Lost (Kindle Edition)
If you like reading about gross descriptions of bodily functions over and over again, you'll love this book. I can't even finish it because after the third round of talking about pooping and s***ting, I can't concentrate on the story. I had to look up the author, who goes by initials, because I thought it had to be written by a man. The author is one female who can't call herself a lady.

In addition to the crassness with which this book was written, the main character, Lizzie, is very unlikable. She's arrogant, hates her family, treats her girlfriend like something you'd scrape off the bottom of your shoe, and has the hots for her brother's fiance just because she's beautiful.

I can't recommend this unless you can overlook and read pass the crap, literally.

The Beatrix Girls Chantal 12" Fashion Doll
The Beatrix Girls Chantal 12" Fashion Doll
Offered by BUMPNOTE FACTORY
Price: $14.57
22 used & new from $13.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A fashion doll with no accessories, December 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The doll is really cute but, the box clearly shows the doll playing keyboard; however, there's no keyboard with the doll. If you want the keyboard you either need to purchase it separately, or buy the set of the doll with the keyboard. The set also comes with a stand for the doll, which this does not. You'll need a stand because these dolls won't stand on their own.

She is fully-articulated at the knees and elbows. You can sit her down with the knees bent. There's a cute bracelet on the right hand. Black shoes and a sparkly red dress. She's ready for clubbing or playing in a club.

The limbs are extremely thin and the head over large. The big eyes are what makes this doll cute. The lack of accessories, even a comb for it's great head of hair is why I gave this 3 stars instead of 5. You can purchase clothing separately, so that's good because this is a fashion doll and little girls will need to be able to change the clothing.

The hair is the best part about this doll. It comes with two pig tails in front held down by rubber bands, but the back of the hair, which is in a rubber band, is really full and beautiful. Any little girl is going to love combing her hair. So, if you get this doll, make sure you at least get a comb and some hair accessories to go with it. It would have been better if it came with some.

Uncle Janice: A Novel
Uncle Janice: A Novel
by Matt Burgess
Price: $19.23

2.0 out of 5 stars What does this author have against women?, December 12, 2014
This review is from: Uncle Janice: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This story follows a female narcotics officer and her male counterparts as they try to make drug busts. Narcs are supposed to only have to work the job for 18 months before being promoted out. But, Janice is singled out and given one month to make 4 drug busts otherwise she won’t be promoted but demoted back to patrol.

There are a lot of bodily fluid descriptions in this book. The kind of stuff men like to read about and see in movies, but the kind of stuff that someone, like me with a weak stomach, gets sick over.

Rarely, do men do a good job of writing from the female perspective, and Matt Burgess is no different. The author has Janice, a full-grown woman, tackling her older sister, whom she hasn’t seen in a while, and throwing her to the floor. Really? Does Burgess actually know any women? Any full-grown sisters? Because I’m thinking he does not. He wrote that scene like two brothers might behave, but no women I know. I have two older sisters and we’ve never greeted each other in that manner, even when we were children.

There’s a lot of harassment of Janice from the males in her division, which I’m assuming is accurate of real life. But, Janice doesn’t react to the bullying. Written the way a man thinks, the harassment happens and things move along as if it didn’t. When Janice is gifted with a burka by her skeezy male counterparts, instead of threatening to stuff the female denigrating attire where the sun don’t shine, like any woman with a spine would, she decides to go with the flow and wear it around the precinct. I wanted to tell Janice to “grow some balls” and Burgess to “get real.”

Burgess also expresses the typical male attitude that straight women are just a vodka away from having sex with another woman, and lesbians will always hook up for the benefit of some man. Don’t get me started on this because…I just can’t.

Janice isn’t even a likeable character. She’s a spineless drunk, who breaks the law and gets every man she knows to bail her ass out.

Don’t let the title fool you into believe this is a book about a strong female character -- this book is misogyny at its best and was written for men. At least, men will probably appreciate its gritty writing more than women will. Well, more than this woman did.

Gold Toe Women's 3 Pair Premium Cotton Non Binding Crew Sock, Linen/Khaki/Winter Khaki, 9-11

1.0 out of 5 stars Trash!, December 10, 2014
These socks are going straight into the trash. I spent the entire day removing my shoes so I could pull the socks up from where they continued to move down past my heel. They remind me of the socks I wore as a school girl in the 1950s. I haven't had a pair of socks so poorly made since then. I'm surprised because I've been wearing gold toe socks for many, many years and have always been satisfied with them. These are thin and do not stay up. What a waste of money.

Bostitch Twist-N-Sharp Pencil Sharpener, Assorted Colors (PS1-ADJ)
Bostitch Twist-N-Sharp Pencil Sharpener, Assorted Colors (PS1-ADJ)
Offered by Shoplet
Price: $2.96
12 used & new from $2.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets pencils sharp, December 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This really gets pencils sharp. I like my pencils really sharp, but it's hard to find a sharpener that puts a fine point on them. This sharpener has two settings - one for a sharp point and the other for a regular point. Both are sharp.

Simple to use, just hold your pencil and twist the sharpener two or three times and you have a very sharp point. The side opens to dump the shavings.

Health Enterprises Ultra Wrap Athletic Tape
Health Enterprises Ultra Wrap Athletic Tape
Price: $12.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Soft and Comfortable, December 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a very different kind of athletic tape. It has a micro thin layer of foam that makes it soft. There's a two way stretch, but it doesn't stretch so much that it will pinch or bind when you wear it. I was having a flair up of tennis elbow so I wrapped this just underneath my elbow and wore it all day without even realizing it was there. It truly is that comfortable.

There's a ultra-thin plastic velcro tab that holds the tape in place. It's also different than anything I've seen before. It's not bulky, nor does it get caught on clothing the way traditional velcro does.

If you wear this to work out and get all sweaty, you can wash it in warm water without soap, and hand it up to dry. You should get 10+ uses out of it.

Fire TV Stick
Fire TV Stick
Price: $39.00

4.0 out of 5 stars It does what it says, December 1, 2014
This review is from: Fire TV Stick (Electronics)
It's pretty simple to use. Plug it in to an electrical outlet and an HDMI port on your HDTV. It took 30 minutes to download the software and 3 minutes to install it. Afterwards, there's a quick tutorial and you're up and running.

There are a few apps already on it, but you can search for others. You will need to activate the apps for the Fire Stick from a different device. I had my tablet handy for that job.

I found Flixster but not Vudu. Also, some apps like PBS do not run their shows, but clips of their shows, so it's really just advertising.

Streaming is quick and perfect. The remote has a 10 second forward and backward button so if you step out of the room you can press the button a couple of times and be right where you left off.

The most difficult part of set-up was getting back off the remote to install the batteries. I couldn't tell if it was the top or the bottom that came off. After trying it both ways several times without success I got a rubber pot holder to add some gripping power to it. The bottom eventually slid off.

I do have questions about it that I haven't been able to find answers to. I have no idea if the stick runs in the background even when I turn my TV back to the satellite port, running up my wifi data whether I'm using it or not. I unplugged it from the TV when not using it, but I'm thinking I might need to unplug it from the outlet. There are no instructions with the Stick except for some illustrations of the pieces and how they fit together. If anyone knows if it can be turned off, please leave me a comment.

The cord to plug it into an outlet is very short necessitating the use of the HDMI extender, included. If the cord was 2 feet longer the extender would not be necessary.

New Star Foodservice 42900 Stainless Steel Classic Zester/Grater with Plastic Handle
Offered by New Star Foodservice Inc
Price: $9.95
3 used & new from $9.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Sharp, sturdy zester, December 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a long, sturdy and very sharp zester and grater. It's really long. I expected something much shorter but if you use it to grate cheese the length comes in handy. It fits in the utensil drawer with the long knives.

It comes with a plastic cover so you don't cut yourself. Did I mention that it's sharp? It's easy to grip the handle in your hand while running a lemon over the top to zest it. Just make sure you keep your finger tips away from the grater.

Easy to use and it's going to last because it's not cheaply made.

UBU Blender Baby Foundation Sponge
UBU Blender Baby Foundation Sponge
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Make-up Sponge., November 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This sponge is shaped sort of like a weeble with a pointed hat, only all red and spongy. Before you use it the first time, wet it and squeeze out the excess water, then let dry. I pressed mine between paper towels to get out the water then wrapped it in a dry paper towel and let dry for 24 hours. It comes out softer then when it's new. Don't wet it when you use it.

Hold the pointy end between your fingers and roll the round end in foundation and pat on your face. I use a cream foundation, which is perfect for this sponge. Flip the sponge over and use the pointy end to get in the eye area.

It makes for a nice even coating without rubbing off. I've used sea sponges for years that take make-up away with it, but this doesn't absorb the make-up, which means you get it on your face where you want it. This sponge is so much better than the flat sponge that comes with the makeup. I probably won't ever use anything different now that I've tried this.

ASTRO Gaming A38 Wireless Headset, Gray
ASTRO Gaming A38 Wireless Headset, Gray
Price: $229.99
4 used & new from $172.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Sound - Tight Fit, November 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This headset comes in a strong, decorative box that’s almost too nice to toss out. But, inside the box there’s a storage box with a zipper that holds the headphone and the mini to micro USB cord for charging.

Charger is not included. I have a couple that I use for whatever device needs to be charged and they both take a mini USB. The micro end fits into the base of the headset. It took just over 3 hours to get a full charge right out of the box.

There are magnetic snap on speaker tags on the outside. They can be changed out for others decorative tags, which are sold separately.

The headset is pretty simple to use. The on/off button also controls the Bluetooth. It took at least a dozen tries to get it to link up to my tablet. After many unsuccessful attempts, I let it charge for over an hour before trying again. After that it took two tries for the device to show up on my tablet. I clicked on the name to connect and the Astro A38 declined the link. I tried a second time and it connected. I haven’t experienced difficulty connecting my tablet via Bluetooth to other devices, so the problem is with the headset. Don’t give up if you have trouble, just keep trying.

These fit very snugly against the ear. They do not fit over the ear. Although you can adjust them in length, you can’t adjust the width. They pushed my glasses so tight against my head that after about 10 minutes it became painful. I had to remove my glasses and set the rim above the ears of the headset. After a half-hour of wearing them they started to become too uncomfortable to wear.

These claim to be noise cancelling, but that depends on what your definition of noise cancelling is. I had the TV on when I first tried them on without any sound coming through the headset and I could clearly hear the TV. With sound coming through the headset, it drowned out the TV. Someone could be watching TV while I’m listening to music and I wouldn’t hear the TV as long as sound was coming through the headset.

The sound is pretty amazing. Better than what I get from my wireless stereo headset. The background sound effects that come out of the left ear are so realistic I kept turning to my left to try and figure out where the sound was coming from.

What I find annoying about this headset is the extremely, ear deafeningly loud beeps it makes when turning on or off, or when adjusting the volume up or down. I learned to wait a few seconds after turning them on before I put them on my head and always take them off before turning off. Unfortunately, if you are adjusting the volume you want to leave them on and the loud beep interrupts whatever you are listening to. I think this is an issue that should be changed because it can cause real hearing problems down the road.

Overall, because of the tight fit and the loud beeps I probably won’t rely on these too much, but when I don’t want to walk around tethered to my tablet while watching videos, for occasional use they will be convenient.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20