Profile for Sadie > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 2085

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sadie RSS Feed (Ventura, CA United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sisters of Shiloh
Sisters of Shiloh
by Kathy Hepinstall
Price: $18.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been much better, January 29, 2015
This review is from: Sisters of Shiloh (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It’s a historical fact that many women disguised themselves as men and fought in the Civil War. Why, is anyone’s guess. Some may have done it out of a strong sense of devotion to the cause, some because there were no men in their family to fight, some possibly even to avenge the deaths of those they knew and loved who lost their lives in the war. The latter is the premise of Sisters of Shiloh.

Libby’s husband, Arden, gets killed in the war, so she decides to don his clothing and fight alongside other Southern Confederates. She wants to kill one Yankee for every year of Arden’s short 21 year life. Her younger sister, Josephine, feels a sense of duty to look after her sister, so even though she didn’t like Arden, she joins Libby in her quest. Sisters Libby and Josephine become cousins, Thomas and Joseph, and enlist in an army which desperately needs reinforcements, so it’s overlooked that the young women appear to be adolescent boys instead of the 18 year old men they profess to be.

There’s a lot of descriptive gore in this book. The authors don’t hold anything back when describing the effects of war on the human body. Overall, the book is heavy with the description of war and death and light on characterization. No time was spent allowing the reader to get to know either Libby or Josephine before they went to war, except that Arden was mean to Josephine and Libby let it happen. So, when Arden died, I didn’t care about him or how Libby felt. Libby continues to annoy as her goal is strictly hateful and has nothing to do with furthering the Southern cause. Josephine wears a guilty conscious over how she wished Arden to die, and she doesn’t want to kill anyone, so never shoots her rifle. Yet manages to come out of every battle unscathed.

To complicate matters, Josephine befriends Wesley, another soldier, and falls in love with him. Libby descends from mourning into a pit of despair that slowing evolves into insanity over the loss of her husband, which renders her incapable of understanding Josephine’s feelings.

The ending was rather boring. Nothing much interesting happens in this story. I had expectations of the story going off in the different directions that one might expect when two people are pretending to be someone other than themselves. However, it never veers from the odd mixture of war and romance.

Nivea Lip Care Butter Carded Tin, Cocoa Butter Kiss, .59 Ounce, (Pack of 6)
Nivea Lip Care Butter Carded Tin, Cocoa Butter Kiss, .59 Ounce, (Pack of 6)
Price: $17.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Smells so good., January 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a rich, smooth, creamy lip butter with a yummy smell. Too bad there's no taste to it. Although I'm not sure what cocoa butter would taste like, it just smells so good that I want to be able to taste it too.

Walk Me Home
Walk Me Home
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving - I want to read it again., January 23, 2015
This review is from: Walk Me Home (Kindle Edition)
This was the first Catherine Ryan Hyde book I've read, and it was wonderful. Rarely do I read a book where I then want to read everything written by the author. Fortunately, Hyde has at least 24 books for me to read.

Walk Me Home is different than anything I've ever read before. Two teenage sisters whose mother has died decide to walk from New Mexico back to California to find their mother's prior boyfriend. A man who the older of the two idealizes. Along the way, they meet up with some people who help them out even if they don't realize it at the time.

This is a story that stayed with me long after I finished reading it. Although I did have a couple of issues, like the fact that their father is never mentioned and that it might be a bit far-fetched for a Native American to be able to just take them in without going though some governmental hoops. But, I can forgive those inconsistencies because Hyde writes with such realism and appeal. I can't wait to dive into all of her other books.

Maybelline New York Lash Sensational Mascara, Very Black, 0.32 Fluid Ounce
Maybelline New York Lash Sensational Mascara, Very Black, 0.32 Fluid Ounce
Offered by SweetFindOutlet
Price: $10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth - east to take off., January 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love Maybelline for their mascara. You don't need to spend a fortune on designer mascara because Maybelline really makes the best.

The wand on the Lash Sensational Mascara is curved. I wasn't too sure about using a curved wand, but was surprised at how helpful it really is to apply mascara.

The mascara does not chip, flake or throw specs onto my eyelid when applying. It glides on smoothly and doesn't turn hard. When it's time to wash it off, it comes off completely with a make-up remover cloth. None was left on my eyes afterwards.

This is my new favorite even though I own a different type of Maybelline mascara.

Eucerin Diabetics' Dry Skin Relief Foot Creme, 3 Ounce (Pack of 3)
Eucerin Diabetics' Dry Skin Relief Foot Creme, 3 Ounce (Pack of 3)
Price: $14.97
2 used & new from $10.33

3.0 out of 5 stars It made my feet itch, January 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I applied this after showering. Although it claims to make a difference after 24 hours, I did not notice a difference after 5 days. On the fifth day, my feet itched bad after applying it. I hoped it meant I would see a change in the roughness, but still none. I quit using it because my skin is just too sensitive for the product, and it doesn't do a thing to remove roughness on the foot. The Lubriderm I use is a better lotion.

Left Field (Lillian Byrd Crime Series Book 5)
Left Field (Lillian Byrd Crime Series Book 5)
Price: $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The girl can't hit the ball, but runs likes hell, January 9, 2015
Lillian Byrd is an accidental private investigator. Although she writes for a living, she doesn’t spend enough time writing to actually make a living at it. What she does best is to get herself in a jam then tries to figure out how to get out of it.

Lillian isn’t one of those wealthy trust fund PIs I get so bored reading about. She’s poor. So poor, she’ll do just about anything to make the rent. And, while doing just about anything she manages to run into some real characters. She isn’t perfect, but keeps her wits about her and manages to get out of the scrapes she finds herself in. She falls for the imperfect woman, but only realizes it after she’s found herself knee deep in the woman’s problems. She’s sweet and thoughtful to those who deserve it, like the Pomeroy’s in “Left Field,” but, will fight off the bad guys, and gals, and come out a champ. A champ with a black eye and bloody nose, that is.

And, thankfully, for her devoted fans, Lillian Byrd is back. It’s been a three year dry spell, but she’s back in rare form as she takes her fans through the corrupt and bankrupt Detroit area where she lives. Sometimes she can’t tell the good guys from the bad, but eventually figures it all out.

For some reason this book seemed a lot shorter than the others, but maybe that’s because I practically devoured it as soon as it hit my Kindle. Here’s hoping there’s more in the near future.

Tacwise Z1-140 Heavy Duty Hand Tacker/Staple Gun for 5/32, 3/16, 1/4 and 5/16 Inches Long Staples, Silver/Orange (TAC0854)
Price: $24.53
6 used & new from $3.31

5.0 out of 5 stars This small, lightweight stapler can run with the big boys., January 5, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This stapler is no wider than, and only as long as, my hand. Unlike those large, heavy staplers, this is light weight, but it does the same job.

The handle folds down and locks in place so there's no need to worry about accidentally shooting out staples. Great for storage, especially if you have little ones around the house.

There's a hook on it so you can hang it over your tool belt.

It's important to read the instructions because even though it's fairly simple to use, the instructions will show you how to open the staple carriage and how to fold down the handle to lock it without engaging a staple. They are in easy to read proper English.

It comes with 4 staple cartridges.

I used it to staple carpet in the doorways that had began to come up. This gun is so much easier to use than my heavy stapler because it's easy to hold and doesn't shoot out from under me when I press the handle. The staples go in deep. It may look like a toy, but this can compete. I found it much easier to use in an upright position because the light weight allows me to hold it firm against the wall and depress the handle without losing my grip.

I have to hide this from my other stapler because it's going to be so jealous this pipsqueak of a stapler gun can do the same job as the big boys.

L'Occitane Divine Youth Oil, 1 fl. oz.
L'Occitane Divine Youth Oil, 1 fl. oz.
Offered by L'OCCITANE
Price: $96.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good smelling oil, December 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a face oil, it's not bad. The bottle has a generous amount, so you won't be running out any time soon. It has a glass dropper in the handle that you push down on to dispense the oil. I rubbed my hands together to warm the oil, and it really felt warm between my hands. The directions say to avoid the eye area, which is a bummer because I would have liked to apply it all over. I applied it in the evening and it gave my dry skin enough moisture that I didn't need to apply a moisturizer over the top of it. It does not feel greasy either.

Why don't I like it then? The scent is overwhelming and I just didn't like it at all. At first I tried to place it, but realized it must be a mixture of scents. The box is impossible to read because the printing is tiny and in a font style that is illegible, so I couldn't tell if the ingredients were on the box. The insert that came with it does not contain the ingredients. I find this really hard to accept because some people can be allergic to something in it and never know until they have a reaction. I was afraid at first that the smell was eucalyptus, which I'm highly allergic to.

Since this goes on the face right near the nose, I won't ever use it again. I hated smelling it all night.

Simple Cleansing Water, Micellar, 6.7 Ounce
Simple Cleansing Water, Micellar, 6.7 Ounce
Offered by Household Online Shop
Price: $14.00
2 used & new from $14.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't take off all the make-up, December 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This doesn't do a great job of taking make-up off. I used 5 cotton pads, both sides, squirting the cleansing water liberally on both sides, and it didn't take all the make-up off my face. Although the cotton pads showed make-up on it, my face still had a lot on it too. Finally, I took a moist make-up cleansing towelette and took the remainder of the make-up off. There was a lot of make-up on the towelette, especially mascara.

It does feel refreshing though. So, I'll probably just use it to freshen up when I'm not wearing any make-up.

A Woman Lost
A Woman Lost
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Too gross for me, December 19, 2014
This review is from: A Woman Lost (Kindle Edition)
If you like reading about gross descriptions of bodily functions over and over again, you'll love this book. I can't even finish it because after the third round of talking about pooping and s***ting, I can't concentrate on the story. I had to look up the author, who goes by initials, because I thought it had to be written by a man. The author is one female who can't call herself a lady.

In addition to the crassness with which this book was written, the main character, Lizzie, is very unlikable. She's arrogant, hates her family, treats her girlfriend like something you'd scrape off the bottom of your shoe, and has the hots for her brother's fiance just because she's beautiful.

I can't recommend this unless you can overlook and read pass the crap, literally.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20