Profile for Seano > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Seano RSS Feed (Norristown, PA)

Page: 1 | 2
2 A.M. at The Cat's Pajamas
2 A.M. at The Cat's Pajamas
by Marie-Helene Bertino
Price: $17.43
81 used & new from $8.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Philadelphia Jazz Prose, September 5, 2014
This book was delightful. Bertino's prose is more like poetry, and her images and metaphors sing. The book sets out to tell a story in the form of jazz, and it works beautifully. The narrative riffs, it soars, it dives, it blasts; just like a great jazz jam session. Bertino's characters are unique and very real, and her take on Philadelphia is spot on. I'm looking for more great things from this author.

Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War
Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War
by Nathaniel Philbrick
511 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars History as it should be told, November 28, 2012
Excellent book. History the way it should be taught. Balanced, objective, but not superficial. Brought out some amazing stories I had never heard before, and introduced me to one of my new favorite figures in American history: Benjamin Church. It's definitely not the story I learned in school, but it's also not an anti-Pilgrim, extreme revisionist piece either. It's good scholarship, enthralling action sequences, and a thoughtful approach to a complex set of people and events. Highly recommended.

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1)
The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1)
by Suzanne Collins
Price: $12.59
403 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Read - Thrill-a-minute; Complex & deep themes, December 5, 2010
This was an outstanding book. The action was perfectly paced and heartstopping. The characters were well drawn, complicated, and very human. The world is sketched bit by bit in a way that doesn't seemed forced at all, and it is a horrifying world indeed. I've been hearing that this and the second in the trilogy are fantastic and the third drops off. If it's half as good, it'll still be a great novel.

The Guantánamo Lawyers: Inside a Prison Outside the Law
The Guantánamo Lawyers: Inside a Prison Outside the Law
by Mark P. Denbeaux
Price: $41.99
44 used & new from $0.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Required Reading, November 11, 2009
The Guantanamo Lawyers is a compilation of first-hand accounts of the lawyers who have been fighting to defend our Constitution from the nightmare that is Guantanamo. There are some gut wrenching stories in here, depicting what life is really like at GTMO for the detainees, for the servicemen & women assigned there, and for the lawyers trying to do their jobs against every obstacle thrown in their way. The human moments are the most memorable - it's much easier to understand why a lawyer would put their life and practice on hold and fight this uphill battle when you can connect to the universal humanity at stake. There is no doubt that some dangerous people are at GTMO, but after reading this book, you'll understand that there are completely innocent people jailed there as well, and these brave lawyers are fighting for the rule of law. If you are a lawyer, a student of law, or just an American who cares about freedom and justice, read this book.

The Pigeon Wants a Puppy
The Pigeon Wants a Puppy
by Mo Willems
Price: $10.51
108 used & new from $0.16

5.0 out of 5 stars Well, the secret's out... (SPOILER ALERT), April 1, 2008
The long wait is over! The pigeon officially wants....

...a PUPPY!

Mo Willems once again creates a wonderful read-aloud book that engages children in a silly conversation that will tickle and delight. I am a huge fan of Willems' Pigeon books, and Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus is easily in my Top Ten for Kids of All Time (see, I capitalized it, so it's really important!). Every time I read these aloud to groups of kids or to a single child, they light up and jump right into the story. A Pigeon story-time is a performance where the audience is in on the show.

The Pigeon Wants a Puppy once again presents the loveable pigeon's pleading, bargaining and tantrums; this time for a puppy. Kids will be rolling when they hear him mistaking a puppy for something he'd have to water once a month, and Willems' illustrations again are so evocative, you can't help but read it with full emotion.

Two thumbs up, ten out of ten, five stars, and all that jazz. Long live the Pigeon!

Ace the LSAT Logic Games
Ace the LSAT Logic Games
by Get Prepped
Price: $40.23
43 used & new from $5.11

1.0 out of 5 stars Too many mistakes to be helpful, February 24, 2008
The analysis sections of this book offer answer and explanations for the practice puzzles, step by step. The problem is, those explanations quote rules that aren't even in the original puzzles, the example diagrams include conclusions that are either unwarranted from the puzzle or at least unexplained in the analysis, and there are various other typos throughout. I thought it was helpful at first, but now I'm not sure if it did more harm than good. I emailed the publisher to ask for corrections, but haven't heard back yet. This is an awfully expensive book, and the LSAT is way too important, for me to have wasted all this time and money.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 1, 2008 7:18 AM PDT

Dreamquake (The Dreamhunter Duet, Book 2)
Dreamquake (The Dreamhunter Duet, Book 2)
by Elizabeth Knox
100 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fitting End, March 12, 2007
I devoured the first installment of this story, Dreamhunter, and was excited to have discovered a new voice in Elizabeth Knox. Her dialogue is realistic, yet exciting. Her characters are utterly believable even in the most fantastic situations. Dreamquake fulfills the expectations raised by Dreamhunter in an exciting, thought-provoking adventure.

I disagree with the earlier review, in that I liked Nown's fate, and I see the possibility for another story including his character because of how he winds up.

5 stars!!!

Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry Season 4
Russell Simmons Presents Def Poetry Season 4
DVD ~ Mos Def
Offered by Stare Media
Price: $19.95
21 used & new from $0.03

5.0 out of 5 stars This IS poetry today, March 6, 2007
As a spoken word poet and literature professor, I love Def Poetry Jam as a source of inspiration and a touchstone for the state of spoken word poetry. An ecclectic mix of different styles, season 4 is another great collection of incredible poets and poems. These are taped live in a Broadway theatre with a live audience, so it's as close to the real thing as you can get on dvd. These episodes do well to balance male and female voices as well as representatives from many different races, ethnicities and points of view. Forget about the celebrity appearances- it's the poets youmay never have heard of that will blow your mind. My personal favorites appear early, including Black Ice and a husband/wife duo telling the raw truth about raising kids on low incomes. My community college students, whom I cannot wake up to discuss Dickinson or even Hughes, were wide-eyed and all ears while I showed selections from these discs. This season includes more episodes than any of the previous three as well.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
Price: $12.95
134 used & new from $4.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking, April 22, 2006
This review is from: The Book Thief (Hardcover)
The summary in the review above lets you know what this book is about, but until you sit and swim in its poetic language, its vivid characters, and visceral tragedy, you won't understand the power of the Book Thief. I'm a bookseller, and I've been handing this book to everyone who comes in my store, with whom I work, and my family and friends. Markus Zusak uses language physically; dozens of times I felt punched in the stomach by a jab of a phrase. Over the last twenty or thirty pages, I held my breath, I cried for an hour, and I had to tell my wife not to talk to me until I finished. I have never read a story about war and love and life and death that has broken my heart so completely with its poetry and truth. Congratulations to Markus Zusak on creating a novel that really should be around forever.

PS- I have to agree with previous reviewers that while this is being marketed as a young adult book (and I think high-schoolers should read this) adults will not be disappointed. I would not give it to a child younger than high-school age because of some PG-13 language and the difficulty level. This is heady stuff, beautifully wrought, but not simple.

Mister Monday (Keys to the Kingdom, Book 1)
Mister Monday (Keys to the Kingdom, Book 1)
by Garth Nix
36 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommended - Remedy for the Same Old, Same Old, August 27, 2005
Garth Nix has become my new favorite writer, and my discovery started with Mister Monday, the first in the Keys to the Kingdom series. This opening episode introduces us to Arthur, a displaced but sharp young boy in his first days at a new school. When a distanced run in gym class brings on a devastating asthma attack, Arthur is supposed to die. Because he doesn't, he is thrust into a world he never knew existed, with the fate of all worlds in his hands.

Having now read Sabriel, the first in Nix's earlier young adult series, The Abhorsen Trilogy, I can see how far he's come as a writer. Keys to the Kingdom is superbly paced, and with each new book, we learn a little more about the bigger picture. The arc of the stories is huge, but strongly anchored in the characters and Nix's attention to details.

Just a note about editions: I collect books, and while paperbacks are available and cost a little less than the hardcovers, the hardcover editions of these books are very sharp looking on the shelf. They're colorful and really stand out in a larger collection.

I have to say, I haven't read anything yet by Garth Nix that I didn't enjoy, but Mister Monday is by far my favorite. The opening few pages hooked me, and I'm now three books in, anxiously awaiting number four, Sir Thursday, coming out around March!

Page: 1 | 2