Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Profile for Carl Seglem > Reviews

Browse

Carl Seglem's Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Carl Seglem RSS Feed (United States)

Designing for the Digital Age: How to Create Human-Centered Products and Services
by Kim Goodwin
Price: $38.83
74 used & new from $24.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A "desert island" design book, and an excellent guide, September 6, 2009
Kim Goodwin has written a book that I've been hoping for for years.

It's the book I turn to when I want thorough yet approachable guidance or reminders for how to do design.

I told a colleague of mine: "Finally! The textbook and handbook for the practice of interaction design!" Much inspiring and useful work has come before, but I haven't found such a comprehensive and useful how-to book for practicing and aspiring interaction designers.

If I could only have three books on my shelf to refer to in my interaction design (or if I were on a desert island where I was going to be designing interactive systems with people), I'd have:
* Kim Goodwin's Designing for the Digital Age for process,
* Jennifer Tidwell's Designing Interfaces for patterns, and
* Alan Cooper et al's About Face (3) for principles.

The Concorde Story (Osprey civil aircraft)
The Concorde Story (Osprey civil aircraft)
by Christopher Orlebar
25 used & new from $0.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Attractive and Informative Account, July 5, 2003
This review refers to the 1997 edition (21 years in service).
I was looking for a good, thorough introduction to Concorde. This book, alongside Calvert's, did the trick.
This is a large, colorful, attractive history of Concorde with a focus on British Airways. While there are lots of nice pictures and diagrams, the text is clear and engaging.
It was worth looking for it used as it's out of print.
Enjoy!

Concorde: The Inside Story
Concorde: The Inside Story
by Brian Trubshaw
21 used & new from $10.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of political, organizational and technical detal, July 5, 2003
I was looking for a good introduction and foundation for understanding Concorde and I thought this book along with Orlebar's would do the trick.
I was very disappointed with this one, though. It devotes lots and lots of words to (from my point of view) arcane historical and political issues. After a couple chapters I just gave up and returned this book. I was very happy with the Orlebar and Calvert books.
If you're interested in the detailed very insider-oriented story of Concorde, this may be the book for you. (And it appears from a number of the reviewers that it was interesting for them.)

Flying Concorde
Flying Concorde
by Brian Calvert
37 used & new from $2.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent introduction and thorough, July 5, 2003
This review is from: Flying Concorde (Paperback)
I looked at a number of Concorde books, and this one and Orlebar's Concorde Story stood out.
This one is easy to read, very informative, talks about the technology without getting too detailed and talks about some of the politics and difficulty without getting caught up on it.
It's black and white and medium format, so the Orlebar makes a nice color complement to it.
Enjoy

TechTV's Secrets of the Digital Studio: Insider's Guide to Desktop Recording
TechTV's Secrets of the Digital Studio: Insider's Guide to Desktop Recording
by James Maguire
31 used & new from $0.18

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive intro and reference, July 5, 2003
I've been very happy with this book. I've wanted to start doing audio recording, editing and publishing on computer and had been disappointed by other books I'd browsed that were out of date or left out big areas.
This book covers a broad landscape (from acoustic fundamentals to surround technology) in enough detail and with enough references to other material to get a good foundation for digital audio work. With it (and other research) I'm confident that when I get my hands on the hardware and software I've been researching I'll be successful and I won't have to flounder too much.
This is not a step-by-step tutorial for how you go from opening a package to listening a polished CD.
The cutesiness in some parts can be a little annoying. There is lots of white space and browser screen shots that make the book thicker than it needs to be. Those are minor issues that detract little from this very useful book.