Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM
Profile for MJS96 > Reviews

Browse

MJS96's Profile

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MJS96 RSS Feed (Champaign, IL)

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
DVD ~ Jim Carrey
Price: $9.54
190 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, January 29, 2009
Solid, intellectual romantic comedy. But I only wrote this because their were 666 reviews prior to this one. LOL.

Mr. Coffee IDS77 Electric Coffee Blade Grinder with Chamber Maid Cleaning System, Black
Price: $17.88
66 used & new from $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for spices too!, November 13, 2007
I bought this product after looking at reviews of other products. I chiefly wanted it to grind spices, but was wary because it was not listed as a 'spice grinder'

Not only does it perform quite well on spices, the fact that its an easy clean means you can switch back and forth between spices and coffee quite easily.

1) Every spice I put into the machine came out adequately. It has three settings, so you can have a course, medium or fine grind. The fine isn't magnificent, but if you put it in a bag and sold it, I doubt anyone would notice.

Thus far, I have ground chiles, seeds and even fresh lemongrass. I got the results I wanted each time.

2) It also grinds coffee well. Put the beans in, hit the button, and it looks like the stuff you buy at the store. I don't know if I would call it really produces esspresso-grade grinds, but I have gotten my regular coffee buzz every morning.

3) This is the biggest selling point. IT IS FRIGGIN EASY TO CLEAN! It has a detatchable grinding cup and dishwasher-safe lid. But seriously, you don't even need to go that far. Since the cup is stainless-steel, and since it has this plastic rig that lets you sweep loose grinds, all you need is a small-cicular brush and hot water to get it clean.

The time? About 15-20 seconds. No leftover grinds.

Because of this, you can grind multiple fresh spices rather quickly without worry of cross-contimnation. I can also say with confidence that I have had no fennel-tasting coffee. The fact that it is so easy to clean makes it versatile.

Is it loud? I guess. And you may have to grind more than once to get a desired texture.

But the fact that it does what I want it to do and cleans easily makes it worth it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2008 8:00 PM PST

A Critique of Postcolonial Reason: Toward a History of the Vanishing Present
A Critique of Postcolonial Reason: Toward a History of the Vanishing Present
by Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak
Price: $35.50
71 used & new from $8.67

2.0 out of 5 stars The irony, June 26, 2007
I must admit, I did not read the entire book. But it is not because I didn't try.

Spivak is a close associate of Judith Butler, and this text demonstrates the connect -- no person lacking a very specific culural and feminist education can read it.

This is the irony of such texts. Spivak cleary seeks to empower women and individuals of color oppressed by Western hegemony -- ttself a jargon phrase-- yet no one she seeks to liberate could remotely understand her text. Nor could many scholars like myself, who seek to learn from her infinite wisdom.

At some point, I would hope that scholars like Spivak would take a page from the Lawrence Grossbergs of the world and begin to write in more accessible language

To do so is not anti-intelectual -- it is indeed an attempt to ADVANCE scholarship.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2012 10:06 PM PDT

Is Bill Cosby Right?: Or Has the Black Middle Class Lost Its Mind?
Is Bill Cosby Right?: Or Has the Black Middle Class Lost Its Mind?
by Michael Eric Dyson
Price: $14.34
111 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars A solid argument, but not his best work, June 2, 2007
First, I feel it necessary to state the obvious. The book has a political charge. As a result, some people, indeed some of the people who have 'read' his book will immediately shun his argument because it does not appeal to their own political tastes. This book will cut some people. Yet, in my opinion, any piece of scholarship deserves to be judged on its research and argument, not whether or not you happen to agree with the book. For this reason, I would implore those on the left, the right and the center to at least give the book a chance before judging it.

That said, I do not believe this was one of Dyson's stronger works. The issue is pertinent -- what is the division between upper-class and lower-class blacks, and what is the cause of this division. Fairly, he uses Bill Cosby, a cultural icon as his entry point into his argument. Unfortunately, for reasons unknown, he pays too much attention to "Bill Cosby" as opposed to the larger and more important issue of the "black middle class."

Some of his points are valid, and he does a solid job of making a deconstructive argument against Cosby's speeches, as well as demonstrating some of the contradications in his professional career. I also find his notion of the "Afrostcricy" fasinating -- I have used this in my own academic work.

That said, Dyson's work doesn't go into depth regarding any single issue, which is why it does at times seem like he is making excuses for the black underclass. He does not give a comprehensive economic analysis, nor does he trace the history and development of the black middle class as a social category within the United States. Furthermore, while I am no fan of "balance," the failure of Dyson to explore issues of "personal responsibility" in greater depth only adds to the notion that he is making excuses for the black underclass.

But, as a whole, the argument is there, and the book is very accessible. I only wish that Dyson, who is clearly a great public intellectual, would take more time in developing his arguments as opposed to rushing for timeliness, and I also wish he would rely upon theorhetical basis for his arguments more, much like Cornell West. He seems to be drifting too far away from his academic roots, and this, I believe, is taking a toll on his arguments.

Nevertheless, I don't regret buying the book, and I do believe it makes many solid, if not spectacular arguments in defense of the black underclass. I just wish he would spend more time developing his arguments.