Profile for Jon > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 19

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jon RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
The First Book of Baha'i Prayers
The First Book of Baha'i Prayers
by Baha'i Publishers Under the Provisions of the Covenant
Price: $5.07
3 used & new from $4.97

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this if you are a Baha'i, May 21, 2014
This book is published by Baha'i Publishers Under the Provisions of the Covenant, so, this is not a Baha'i book. If you do not know why, then just search for "Bahá'ís Under the Provisions of the Covenant" in Wikipedia and you quickly see.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lame., April 27, 2013
I tried to watch this but it was too lame. Nothing but a bunch of corny jokes. I hope this pilot does not get made a series.

Price: $0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, April 27, 2013
This is a great political comedy. Great writing and acting. It is great to see John Goodman on television again.

J.B. Expedition Adventure Travel Quick Dry Socks (2 Pairs)
J.B. Expedition Adventure Travel Quick Dry Socks (2 Pairs)
Offered by Sox Shop
Price: $16.00 - $42.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Only 2% spandex; falls down after walking less than a block, January 13, 2013
I bought these socks to use when traveling to China. It was a huge mistake. These socks are only 2% spandex, versus Tilley Travel Socks which have 5% spandex. The result is predictable: J.B. Expendition Travel Socks simply will not stay up. They fall down after walking a few hundred steps. They appear to be well made. The toe seam is not noticeable. However, because they spend all day below my ankles they are simply unusable. I strongly recommend that you spend a little more money and get the Tilley Travel Socks instead. I purchased a pair of the Tilley Travel Socks and strongly prefer them verus the J.B. Expedition Travel Socks. You get what you pay for.

(500) Days Of Summer
(500) Days Of Summer
Price: $2.99

2.0 out of 5 stars This movie was a stinking piece of shit, September 1, 2012
Title says it all. I hated everything about it. From the stale acting, to the shit writing, to the crappy music. Worst of all, the stupid narrator. God, I hate everything about this movie.

Samsung Series 5 550 Chromebook (Wi-Fi)
Samsung Series 5 550 Chromebook (Wi-Fi)
2 used & new from $275.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not work well with Hulu and other video sites; otherwise terrific, June 17, 2012
Let me begin by saying that I love my chromebook. I have a 3-month old Macbook Pro that I paid over $3K for, but I consistently pick up my chromebook instead because it is just faster at booting and shutting down, and it has AMAZING all day battery life. If you mostly use your computer for surfing the web, and if you trust Google with your information, then there is nothing better for you than a chromebook.

But there is one caveat. Specifically, the chromebook does not work well with video sites like hulu and netflix. The problem is best illustrated by hulu. For example, when you watch a video on hulu there are intermittent video advertisements. The problem with the chromebook is that it cannot recover the video feed for the video after the commercial ends. The audio is there, but the video is not. This occurs every single time an advertisement is played. The only way to fix it is to refresh the browser. This is more than a little annoying, and renders the hulu website useless.

Google needs to fix this problem now. Melissa Daniels, the honcho at Google for all things chromebook, I'm dedicating this review to you. Please fix this problem. Other than this one issue, the chromebook is an outstanding product that I highly recommend.

**Update - 6/20/2012**

I have noticed that the chromebook is frequently unable to load webpages I request. For example, I will type in the URL for cnn and the browser will just churn and will never open the requested webpage. After a few *minutes* of waiting I get an error message saying the browser cannot resolve the DNS for the requested webpage. The chromebook does this even when it is connected directly by ethernet to the router. Also, this is a frequent problem that happens every single day.

Hopefully Google can fix this and the other problem associated with the chromebook being useless with popular video streaming sites like hulu. If these issues are not resolved by the time my 30 day return window approaches, I will be returning this item to amazon for a refund.

**Update - 6/28/2012**

My Amazon return window closes tomorrow, so, it is decision time. Video websites like hulu still do not work well. Lots of other people are complaining about this problem, but Google does not appear to have done anything to correct it.

The network connection issue also remains a problem. I have sat my Macbook beside my chromebook and the chromebook has dropped the network connection repeatedly when the Macbook did not. I think this is a hardware problem inherent to the chromebook, but I am not sure.

A new problem has also emerged. Specifically, one of the chromebook's speakers has started buzzing. I have not abused this computer whatsoever. In fact, because websites like hulu are useless on a chromebook, I haven't used the speakers that much. When I do use the speakers I do so responsibly. There is no reason that the speaker should be busted when I have only had the computer for 29 days.

Because of the reasons described above, this computer is going back to Amazon as defective. I have ordered a replacement and will continue to post updates on how the replacement computer performs.

So far the chromebook has been a disappointment.

**Update - 3/02/2013**

The chromebook is still unable to work well with Hulu and other video streaming sites. I have found an additional problem: the chromebook is unable to stream audio from Sirius. Why is it that Google has been unable to fix these problems after so much time is passed?
Comment Comments (31) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 7, 2013 1:41 AM PDT

Raven Singer
Raven Singer
Price: $15.42
47 used & new from $8.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank God for Ian Tyson!, June 9, 2012
This review is from: Raven Singer (Audio CD)
I love this CD. The songs here are instant favorites. Take a listen to Saddle Bronc Girl. I have had this song stuck in my head for days. Some may be put off by Ian's new voice; not me. After all, true Ian Tyson fans know his voice changed years ago and that he lost it trying to sing his heart out for his fans. So, casual fans need to just get their heads around the fact that his once smooth as silk voice is replaced by a voice that has a fine patina about it and is still quite pleasant to listen to.

This is Ian's second album with his new voice, and he really has learned to use it well. I think it sounds like a Canadian Bob Dylan (ala his Modern Times album) or Leonard Cohen, but with song writing that speaks about subjects nearer and dearer to my heart. Thank God for Ian Tyson. I hope he gives us at least ten more albums.

Del Rossa Men's Classic Satin Boxer Shorts (Pack of 5 Solids)
Del Rossa Men's Classic Satin Boxer Shorts (Pack of 5 Solids)
Offered by Alexander Del Rossa
Price: $24.99 - $32.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good at first, but now the stitching is falling apart, May 4, 2012
These appear to be nice boxers, but the stitching only lasted about 5 washes. Hope they improve the quality of the stitching so that I can buy again.

NBA 2K12 (Covers May Vary)
NBA 2K12 (Covers May Vary)
Offered by Peara's Premium Products
Price: $7.50
219 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Music is horrible; game play poorer than in 2K11, October 10, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
In the past, the music included in NBA 2K has been part of what makes the game enjoyable. Not so in this version. The music is all techno, house music garbage. Very, very annoying.

Also, the game play is not as sophisticated as in earlier 2K games. Players all seem to be made generic. There are no individualized moves or individualized mannerisms as in earlier 2K games. Also, if you play association like me, many of the contracts are wrong. As a result, you can get Kenyon Martin for a $1.4M contract, where he should cost a lot more. That is just one example, but there is some sort of glitch where a lot of big time players have $1.4M contracts.

Frankly, this game just sucks. Save your money and keep playing NBA 2K10.

Made By Humans, Recycled Paper Ceramic Vase
Made By Humans, Recycled Paper Ceramic Vase

2.0 out of 5 stars A lovely vase, RUINED by stupidity, September 4, 2011
Out of the box, this vase is lovely and interesting. It appears at first like a wonderful product. However, the manufacturers of the vase have put a GIANT green sticker on the side of it that says "RECYCLED." Duh! What idiots! It is a PAPER vase - So how the heck am I going to get this sticker off without ruining it?!

I strongly recommend not buying this product.

Page: 1 | 2