Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Profile for MankyInky > Reviews

Browse

MankyInky's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

MankyInky RSS Feed

A Marvelous Garland of Rare Gems: Biographies of Masters of Awareness in the Dzogchen Lineage (A Spiritual History of the Teachings of Natural Great Perfection)
by Smyo-śul Mkhan-po ʾJam-dbyaṅs-rdo-rje
9 used & new from $207.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not pay 400$ for it - reprint coming soon, August 1, 2012
Dear Amazonians, this book is indeed a treasure and worth its weight in gold. Having said that, the good news is that Padma Publishing is reprinting it and it should be available by October/November. I just spoke to the manager at Padma. A little patience and you will just have to pay the fair-square 50 or so $ the book actually costs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2012 3:46 PM PST

L.A. Noire - Playstation 3
L.A. Noire - Playstation 3
Price: $9.96
299 used & new from $1.75

5.0 out of 5 stars A New Genre Of Video Game, May 29, 2011
I preordered this game, and was very excited to get it. I like Rockstar's games in general. GTA IV was good, although after a while all the driving made me a bit crosseyed and irritated when I was repeating (very often) difficult chapters. Red Dead Redemption was really great, I thought. LA Noire, though, is something I've never seen before - a game that really is more about an excellent story (far better than any story Ive seen in a movie in a long time), and gameplay that is very much about character nuance. The car chases and shootouts are good, of course, minus a few cover/camera issues - but this game is really about people - amazing, amazing characters. If you are into the noire genre, you will recognise the incredible, vast and unprecedented literary value of this game. Its long, and the story is so intricate and well-woven. Its more like playing a movie series than a movie, or reading the collected works of an author than a book. The acting is stunning.

The music is also something to be remarked upon - its really brilliant.

Im not your "typical" gamer, I suppose. I never played Warcraft, and while I really like the COD series, I never play online. What LA Noire did for me was to make me so much more excited about the future of gaming, for people like myself. This gave me the fix a brilliant movie or book series normally would. I finished the game today and am more than a little bummed out that its over. Highly recommended.

Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences
Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experiences
by Paul Perry
Price: $23.23
114 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Unnecessarily defensive and repetitive, but a solid statistical study., May 7, 2011
This book is full of sound reasoning and strict quality control, in my opinion. This is a study based on statistics, where minor inconsistencies in a testimony would lead to its exclusion from the study. From that perspective, it is thought provoking and quite effective in dismissing the skeptical arguments against the veracity of near death experiences.

However, reading this book is very frustrating. The author repeats himself unbearably, very often beginning a paragraph with the last sentence of the paragraph before it. Maddening and inexplicable, this gave me the impression of defensiveness and an unimaginative approach to writing the book. It would have been much more readable if it was half its length, and Im shocked the editors didn't notice this.

One of the best part of the book is reading the actual testimonies of people who went through the near death experience. They are almost always short excerpts, so I would recommend reading the whole testimonies on the website.

I wish there wasn't such a dense conglomeration of New Age baggage on the website, but look past that and read the actual testimonies. Good stuff.