Profile for Garrett > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 54

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Garrett "G" RSS Feed (New York)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System
Ubiquiti Networks UniFi AP Enterprise WiFi System
Offered by Electronica Direct
Price: $64.99
32 used & new from $43.99

5.0 out of 5 stars THIS IS NOT EASY TO SETUP, December 12, 2014
Why didn't go go with an enterprise class AP at home years ago! Would have been worth the cost.

NOTE: THIS IS NOT EASY TO SETUP. I thought, "how hard can it be", just load some software and follow some instructions. Whats all the fuss in the reviews. Boy did I miscalculate.

How I installed it after failing at following instructions and just loading software.
1. Create a VM, make sure the OS in the VM is named unifi
2. Add the VM to my router so unifi resolved to its IP address in DNS
3. Turn off firewalls to allow access to VM
4. Install JRE in VM
5. Install software controller from ubiquity website
6. Finally pair the AP and set it up

The key was getting unifi to resolve to the machine running the controller and then opening up the firewall.

The other issue I encountered is that the latest firmware did not play nicely with my intel wireless card on a dell laptop. I had ssh into the AP and downgrade the firmware to version 2.64. If that sounds like gibberish to you, probably this is the wrong AP for you.

Once setup per above the AP absolutely destroys every other consumer grade AP/router from an ancient WRT54G all the way through my latest attempts with 2014 Linksys and ASUS AC routers.

Benefits:
1. Reception throughout my two story suburban house with only one AP in the basement
2. Rock solid up and down at 30Mbps from everywhere (the consumer routers always topped out at 20 and often much slower)
3. No more interference from the 27 other wireless networks my laptop sees from my living room

Cons:
No AC, so it can't max out my fileserver or my 105Mbs internet connection. I figured this would be a major con till I realized reliable 30Mbps all over my house is much better than unreliable dropping slow connections at 105Mbps except when standing next to the router.

If you can get over the install this thing is beautiful.

Urnex Dezcal Activated Scale Remover, 35.27-Ounces
Urnex Dezcal Activated Scale Remover, 35.27-Ounces
Price: $16.33

5.0 out of 5 stars Great deal., December 11, 2014
Cleaned my nespresso. Tons more than the individual packs. Great deal.

Fisher-Price Grill Playset
Fisher-Price Grill Playset
Price: $29.99
5 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My 2 year olds love to grill with daddy, December 11, 2014
This review is from: Fisher-Price Grill Playset (Toy)
So cute. My 2 year olds love to grill with daddy. Just the right size.

Universal Bathroom Fan Replacement Electric Motor Kit with Fan 115 volts C01575
Universal Bathroom Fan Replacement Electric Motor Kit with Fan 115 volts C01575
Offered by SupplyEdge
Price: $11.95
4 used & new from $9.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and easy replacement. Was an old airking fan, December 11, 2014
Its not magic, there is still noise, but its MUCH quieter than the rattling/groaning 30 year old motor it replaced. Quick and easy replacement. Was an old airking fan.

I did have to dremel off some of the plastic housing on the motor to make it fit but was easy.

Wayne 1/2 HP Battery Backup Sump Pump System
Wayne 1/2 HP Battery Backup Sump Pump System
Price: $345.00
3 used & new from $345.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome pump, great value, November 13, 2014
I went with the Liberty version first at 2x the price. It came with a cracked tube. Rather than sending me a new tube they made me return it to amazon.

Instead of getting another liberty system I went with this one. What a good decision! This is a much beefier feeling backup pump and doesn't have the weird hanging sideways pump design (that caused the liberty to break).

The main pump is also very beefy and heavy. The whole unit just feels much better made.

My only complaint that I havn't seen anyone else mention is the liberty came with a rubber collar connection, this you actually have to glue the pvc in. An extra step but not a big deal.

The instructions arent't great, but I emailed liberty with a question and they resonded right away.

1. No weep hole is needed by design
2. Check valves are included and not needed.

Now I just need to get a battery and I'm all set. thx!

National Presto 05461 Stainless Steel Pro Fry Immersion Element Deep Fryer
National Presto 05461 Stainless Steel Pro Fry Immersion Element Deep Fryer
Offered by GetYourThing
Price: $46.79
63 used & new from $36.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow. Changed my view of deep frying at home ..., July 17, 2014
Wow. Changed my view of deep frying at home. I thought I was doing it wrong (was using a cast iron dutch oven). I just had the wrong tool. This keep the temp very consistent which is key for crispy fried foods!

Makita BO5041K 5-Inch Random Orbit Sander Kit
Makita BO5041K 5-Inch Random Orbit Sander Kit
Price: $99.00
12 used & new from $99.00

5.0 out of 5 stars This has the variable speed which is nice, but I think a cheaper version would have ..., July 17, 2014
Sanded my deck with it. This has the variable speed which is nice, but I think a cheaper version would have worked just as well. I only kept it at its highest setting.

Tip: But lots of sanding disks! They wear out fast.

Neewer 6.6 inch/17cm Mini HDMI(Type C) Male to HDMI(Type A) Female Adapter Connector Cable (1X)
Offered by Midgar's Best
Price: $5.76
8 used & new from $0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars good high quality, July 17, 2014
good high quality. Using something likt this instead of a dongel without a short cord prents the connectors from breaking.

Rosewill RCHD-12001 3-Feet Ultra Slim HDMI Cable
Rosewill RCHD-12001 3-Feet Ultra Slim HDMI Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 17, 2014
This is a great thin cable. Works perfect.

FRAM CF10132 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter for select  Lexus/ Mazda/ Mitsubishi/ Toyota models
FRAM CF10132 Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter for select Lexus/ Mazda/ Mitsubishi/ Toyota models
Price: $12.76
40 used & new from $12.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 17, 2014
Good filter at a fair price. perfect fit. easy install.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6