Profile for jess scone > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

jess scone "jess scone" RSS Feed (se portland, or)

Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast and Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Price: $11.57
130 used & new from $3.93

5.0 out of 5 stars low fat does not have to mean low flavor!, December 9, 2010
I was a recipe tester for this cookbook, and I was consistently impressed with how much flavor Isa packs into these meals. Not only that, but a lot of them are simpler than you'd expect, and really weeknight friendly - and there she goes, whether it's the spice combination, or addition of fresh herbs, or just the focus on a simple, roasted seasonal vegetable - the flavor is there.

Highly recommended to anyone looking for a vegan cookbook, "healthy" or not.

Some of my favorites include (I'm simply re-posting from this: [...]):

40 Clove Chickpea & Garlic - I've seriously made this countless times, and usually up the garlic even more (spoiler alert: there's not actually 40 cloves in the recipe)
Surefire Seitan - This was my go-to seitan recipe this past year.
Braised Seitan & Cabbage - This one surprised me in how much I liked it. Plus, it's super easy if you have the seitan already made, and cabbage contains fiber and vitamin c and you should probably be eating more of it!
Pasta con Broccoli - Simple and great - especially topped with one of the baked tofu options in the book. Like I'm not going to love a healthier version of a classic Italian dish full of more broccoli & garlic...
Thai Green Beans - Again - so easy, but so flavorful.
Jerk Asparagus - Ditto! You should have these spices in your house anyway, and await the countdown to one of spring's first contenders.
Curried Tofu - One of those recipes you'll find yourself making semi-weekly after trying it.
Apple Miso Tofu - because it's another one casserole dish entree, and it's just so unique!
Ginger Soba with Bok Choy - it's literally ginger, soba, and bok choy, and that's so, so right.
Black-Eyed Peas & Greens - purposely reminiscent of the Bye & Bye's dish, and another I find myself making regularly. With the buzz about the book popping up over the last week, it was the first recipe that came to mind and that I just had to make this past weekend.

enjoy!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 10, 2012 8:05 AM PDT

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes that Rule
by Terry Hope Romero
Price: $10.51
153 used & new from $1.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously vegan, Seriously good., October 19, 2006
I'm not a great, witty writer, so simply said - this book is amazing, adorable, and will make you and your mouth and your vegan friends and your omnivorous friends happy.

-I've made the chocolate coconut coffee cupcakes - which I'd pay any overpriced tag for

- The s'mores cupcakes (so sweet and tasty you can't believe they are vegan)

-The sexy lowfat vanilla cupcakes (the name says it all)

- Last night I made the classic maple cupcakes. The maple cupcakes take your mouth to a Vermont tasting wonderland.

Cupcake fan, vegan or not, these recipes need to be tackled by ya, and given to all you know and love. I bought my non-vegan sister a copy and one for myself.