Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Stephen Kellogg Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS
Profile for Kristin Delfau > Reviews

Browse

Kristin Delfau's Profile

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kristin Delfau "Turbo-Mom" RSS Feed (Danbury, CT USA)

Page: 1 | 2
Gilmour 03V Brass Garden Hose Connector with Shut-Off Valve
Gilmour 03V Brass Garden Hose Connector with Shut-Off Valve
Price: $7.11
22 used & new from $3.80

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had bought this sooner, August 9, 2012
This garden connector is so useful--we have two hoses and one of them is truly multi-purpose. This connector solved that problem; it is sturdy, relatively easy to switch on and off and I even tend to use the valve instead of attaching the sprayer, since it does the job and saves me a step.

Innate Portal Travel Neck Pouch, Ice Blue/Charcoal
Innate Portal Travel Neck Pouch, Ice Blue/Charcoal
Price: $23.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job effectively, August 9, 2012
We didn't want to be "pouch people" but with 2 kids and international travel, it is much easier to carry all of our passports in one place that's readily accessible. This pouch does the job and thus far seems rather sturdy. There are zippers on both sides as well for easy access. Recommended.

Ultimate Body: Yoga Fitness
Ultimate Body: Yoga Fitness
DVD ~ Elise Gulan
10 used & new from $0.54

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely NOT for beginners, August 9, 2012
This review is from: Ultimate Body: Yoga Fitness (DVD)
I have been practicing yoga now for about 7 years--mostly vinyasa, viniyoga and anusara. I picked up this DVD so that I could have a good workout at home. The instructor is pleasant enough but my issues with it are these:

1. "Level 1", "Level 2" and "Most Experienced Yogis" titles she uses throughout the video are misnomers. Level 1 is definitely not a level one. In comparison to my yoga classes, this Level 1 is at a much higher level than I was used to.

2. There is no "mirroring" for her movement prompts: many exercise dvds have the instructors substitute "left" for "right" so that you can mirror them in front of the tv. Elise does not do that so you wind up with your back to the tv a fair amount of the time and have to break concentration to make sure you are following the postures.

3. No modifications for people with weaknesses/injuries. It is all Level 1, 2, and most experienced. Most instructors and DVD instructors that I have used include modifications for those of us with joint or back issues--particularly with yoga--since it is built on flexibility.

It's an average video, but I much prefer Jillian Michael's Yoga Meltdown for this type of and yoga practice.

All New Square Foot Gardening
All New Square Foot Gardening
by Mel Bartholomew
270 used & new from $0.23

2.0 out of 5 stars Only if you have lousy soil, July 10, 2012
I really wanted to like this method, so much so that I have created an experiment this year with my gardens in Connecticut:

I have four different areas where I have about 60% overlap of our vegetable plants:

- Traditional, in the ground garden, NW side of the house.

- Random vegetable plantings in existing wood chip mulch pile areas, mostly sun.

- 2 Square Foot Garden boxes in the yard, complete with the netting supports with full sun

- Deck boxes with organic potting soil, mostly full sun

Here's what I've found thus far in the growing season (mid-July):

1. Tomatoes prefer a traditional garden plot. The 6" (I used 8") of Mel's mix + landscape fabric underneath simply isn't deep or wide enough for good tomato yields. I have two varieties planted both in Mel's boxes and our regular garden and the difference is huge.

2. Broccoli: These seem to respond well to Mel's Mix in the boxes and have produced better broccolis than those in my deck box or my neighbors' plants which went straight in the ground.

3. Snow peas: Decent yield in the boxes, but better yields directly in the random vegetable plantings around the house.

4. Lettuce: OK in the boxes, better in the deck boxes. Had some insect issues in Mel's boxes, none in the deck boxes.

Bottom Line:

If you have really lousy soil, Mel's boxes will work for you, with the following caveats:

1. Good luck finding 5 different types of compost if you can't make it yourself. Unlike other reviewers, I didn't have a problem finding vermiculite (Agway has it, but it is expensive), but our local big box stores only have Scott's Compost + Manure while the local garden centers all source the same brand of local compost. So I only managed to get a mix of 3 rather than 5 composts.

2. With regard to watering instructions: Mel laughably contradicts himself. On page 137 he states, "The soil consistency of your Mel's Mix is already 100% of the materials that hold moisture. When you water, it goes right into the soil around the root system and stays there." THEN, ON THE VERY NEXT PAGE, he states, "But because your soil mix drains readily when saturated, it also has a tendency to dry out quicker than most garden soils." SO WHICH IS IT? Holding moisture or not? My experience is the latter--the boxes dry out quickly so you need to water more often.

Good luck!

A Rope and a Prayer: A Kidnapping from Two Sides
A Rope and a Prayer: A Kidnapping from Two Sides
by David Rohde
98 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent insight and a fascinating story, December 19, 2010
I initially picked up Rohde and Mulvihill's book after hearing them interviewed on NPR--their story sounded interesting even though I am not someone who is usually interested in hostage or kidnapping narratives.

Their way of presenting two sides of the same horrible ordeal allows the reader to fully capture what both the hostage and his/her family had to experience, as well the perception of the different players involved in the situation. Also, the thread of black humor that intermittently arose added to the "human factor" of this book--after all, often times humor can save us from the deepest levels of dispair.

I also appreciated David's insight into his captor's perceptions of the West as well as their extremist twist on their religion. For those of us who don't completely understand the complexities of the region, A Rope & A Prayer broke it down quite well. Highly recommended.

1-2-3 Magic: Managing Difficult Behavior in Children 2-12
1-2-3 Magic: Managing Difficult Behavior in Children 2-12
DVD ~ Thomas W. Phelan
9 used & new from $29.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you have a "good" kid, it is worth watching, December 19, 2010
This video is excellent...whether you have what others consider a "good" kid or a challenging child, the techniques learned from 123 Magic are so, so helpful. With a great sense of humor and "in plain English" explanations, Dr. Phelan breaks down how to effectively discipline and parent children without the stress and guilt that can often accompany it. I cannot speak highly enough about it.

Office 2010: The Missing Manual
Office 2010: The Missing Manual
by Nancy Conner
Price: $28.88
99 used & new from $2.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, excellent manual, October 2, 2010
This is a GREAT manual--it aggravates me to have to buy a manual for a program that I just spent $200+ for but that is the way of the world today. However, the $20+ I spent on this one was well worth it--great job Nancy & Matthew!

It was the only Office 2010 manual I found that actually covers all of the programs in some reasonable depth without being overwhelming. Also, the conversational tone of the book is a big plus when dealing with the dry topic of computer software.

It has been very helpful in bringing me into the new developments of Outlook and made One Note less daunting for me.

Thanks again for a useful tome...

Essential Medical Supply Memory P.F. Sculpture Comfort Seat Cushion
Essential Medical Supply Memory P.F. Sculpture Comfort Seat Cushion
Price: $33.28
4 used & new from $29.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Great solution for an adequate desk chair, October 9, 2009
Like another reviewer, I had the problem that my desk chair's lumbar support is fine, but the seat pad is flat and I can feel the springs through it. So I bought this seat pad, which fits my chair nicely and serves the purpose well. It is definitely a reasonable alternative to purchasing a whole new chair. It is comfortable and I even forget that it is there after awhile. The cover material grips the chair well so it doesn't slide out from under you. Great product.

Eureka 96 B Quick Up Upright Cordless Stick Vacuum
Eureka 96 B Quick Up Upright Cordless Stick Vacuum
Offered by Avalanche Brands
Price: $119.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, not spectacular, October 9, 2009
I bought this vacuum after deciding that I didn't want to spend $50 + shipping to get a new battery for my Roomba. The Eureka is okay. Lightweight, yes, so that's good. But do note: this version purchased at Sears does not include an extra battery pack as some of the other reviewers mentioned, so that was a bit of a disappointment.

It is adequate for a quick clean-up, which is what it is intended for. However, when it comes to random bits of cat litter, I had to go over a couple of pieces several times to finally pick them up.

It was great in the bathroom to quickly clean up stray hairs left behind by 3 people and 3 cats!

My husband does not think the battery will last all that long and we'll end up buying a new one in the not too distant future. Can't say for sure, but will update once we get to that point.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2010 4:11 PM PST

Smart Women Finish Rich: 9 Steps to Achieving Financial Security and Funding Your Dreams
by David Bach
Price: $9.09
582 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and not condescending, June 23, 2009
I hesitantly picked this book up after the catchy title and cover art. As a tax and financial planner by trade, I was pleasantly surprised when I read it. For the first time in a long time, it was great to read a self-help financial book that wasn't talking down to its readers. Bach's tone was anything but condescending--very refreshing.

I also liked his checklists--very useful and well-written.

I liked it so much that I purchased it for a couple of clients as well as a friend.

Kristin Delfau, EA