Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 67

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Amazon Customer RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Descendant
Descendant
Price: $9.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A neat twist on the 'Vampire Hunter' genre...but, showing its age, July 4, 2015
This review is from: Descendant (Kindle Edition)
The idea of vampires having not only been around, for a long time, but also revealed to mankind is an old trope. However, Mr. Masterson posits that that aligned themselves with Hitler and the Nazis during WWII; and, that the protagonist was an Allied Vampire Hunter (kind of like a 'Captain Van Helsing'). These vampires have some truly spooky powers, and their leader is a very memorable antagonist.

Unfortunately his hero and heroine are like secondary characters from a Fu Manchu novel: veddy veddy stiff-upper-lip, upper crust Brits, with little real personality.

These archetypes aren't enough to detract from the overall atmosphere, global scale and imaginative twists of this book...especially at the very end. Not a classic...but, a 'ripping yarn' in the classic mold.

iOttie Easy One Touch 2 Car Mount Holder for iPhone 6(4.7) Plus(5.5) 5s 5c, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge S5 S4 S3, Note 5 4 3, Google Nexus 5 4, LG G4-Retail Pack
Price: Click here to see our price
14 used & new from $19.22

5.0 out of 5 stars A Road-Warrior must-have! This is the one mount that will keep your tech in-place while you ride., May 1, 2015
I've been driving for 40 years; and, have been using a car mount, ever since I owned a GPS-enabled PDA.

The problem with every one of these mounts is that they don't reinforce stress points on the mount, or use a too-small suction cup, in order to save a few cents.
As a result, within 1-2 years of regular use (or 3-6 months on the really cheap ones), they WILL break.

A friend recommended this iOttie car mount for me...especially since I had just moved to the Galaxy Note 3...a much larger/heavier phone than I had every owned. The iOttie was a lot more than I had ever spent for a car mount before...but, I was willing to make that investment in the hope that it would be a game changer.

Thousands of bumpy miles later, I can tell you that the unique engineering of the iOttie mount is worth every penny. Instead of a cheap ball/socket connection and flexible 'gooseneck', this mount uses heavy-grade plastics, that are seriously reinforced at every stress point...even when the 'neck' of the mount is fully extended. I have also never experienced a suction cup with such long-lasting grip on a windshield. Normally, the suction cup will come loose several times per season...especially in the Winter (when the inside windshield has a lot of condensation while the heat comes up), and when the Summer sun beats down on it through the windshield. Not once, has my iOttie come loose from the windshield, since I first installed it.

Finally, the mount itself is a marvel: it's designed to auto-shut on your phone as soon as the device is properly seated. During the bumpiest rides, the mount holds the phone safe and secure. When it's time to remove the phone, you simply depress two extended 'wings', that easily lock the mount into its 'open' position.

If you are any kind of a Road Warrior, with a serious need to keep your smartphone secure during your ride, look no further than the iOttie.
I would recommend this to anyone.

Kathleen Madigan: Gone Madigan [HD]
Kathleen Madigan: Gone Madigan [HD]
DVD
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Darned Funny Lady!, May 1, 2015
Kathleen Madigan is an 'old-time' comic: she tells stories based on her life, her travels and her family.

Because of the authenticity informing her humor, a lot of it might be considered 'impolite' or 'politically incorrect'.
I have another phrase to describe her routine: funny-as-hell.

Whether talking about her travels with (fellow comic) Lewis Black to entertain troops in Afghanistan, or a memorably funny visit to the Mormon Temples in Utah, this is a lady who is just sharing stories...not polemics or social commentary or political vitriol.
That's not to say that a variety of Sacred Cows don't get their just desserts (they do!); it's to say that the zinging comes as the result of the funny stories...not as the reason FOR the funny stories.

If you are familiar with Ms. Madigan from various TV appearances, you know what I mean. If you consider yourself a fan of great standup, and haven't yet met Ms. Madigan...what're ya waiting for???

Pinzon Egyptian Cotton 6-Piece Towel Set, Cream
Pinzon Egyptian Cotton 6-Piece Towel Set, Cream
Price: $21.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Hotel-grade towels on the cheap! Soft, heavy and thirsty, May 1, 2015
I'm a divorced guy who lives alone, and I tend to buy things for myself that are 'good enough'...including towel sets (Walmart, Target, etc.).

Despite the 'Egyptian Cotton' claims, I really purchased these towels because it was a lot less expensive than buying a full set at a discount store.
Imagine my surprise, when the product turned out to be a hotel quality set of towels...and, I should know: after 3 decades as a salesman, I have stayed at a LOT of hotels. These are thick, soft, heavy and thirsty towels that look really nice on the towel bar; and, feel fantastic when you step out of the shower.

I know some reviewers have complained that their sets have not held up well. All I can tell you is that I wash mine in hot water, with an Arm & Hammer laundry detergent packet, and a scoop of Oxi-Clean. After 8 washings, they are perfect: no pilling, shredding, fading...nothing bad.

I am planning on getting another set, and would recommend these to anyone.

Anker New Ultra High Capacity Laptop Battery [9-cell / 7800mAh/87WH] for Dell Inspiron 13R (N3010) 14R (N4010) 14R (N4110) 15R (N5110) 17R (N7010) 17R (N7110) M501 M503 Series, fits J1KND 4T7JN FMHC10 - 18 Months Warranty [Li-ion, 11.1V]
Offered by AnkerDirect
Price: $65.99
2 used & new from $37.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Anker batteries cost more, but deliver a LOT more bang for the buck, May 1, 2015
When my son started college last August, he asked me to look at his laptop (since I wouldn't be there to provide tech support).
It was a top line Dell when I had purchased it for myself 4 years earlier, and I upgraded the memory, put in a larger hard drive and replaced the battery (which had become almost useless).

When it comes to spare batteries for my computing devices (laptops, tablets & smartphones), I only buy Anker...and for a very good reason: they are the closest thing to the manufacturer's original battery. They provide a strong warranty, the batteries last as long as the original, and they provide lots of use out of each charge. In fact, Anker sent me an email a month after I purchased this battery, wanting to make sure that it was living up to my expectations!

Next week, I am picking up my son from college, and he says that the Anker battery has never once run out of juice during his time in-class...and, has had no problems of any kind. Anker batteries cost more than the 'no-name' batteries...but, it's worth every penny

Dirt Devil SD20000RED Simpli-Stik Lightweight Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum
Dirt Devil SD20000RED Simpli-Stik Lightweight Corded Bagless Stick Vacuum
Price: $19.96
44 used & new from $19.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice design, solid construction, but a bit light on suction power, May 1, 2015
I'm divorced, and share an apartment with 2 small parrots.
As such, the most a stick-vac has to deal with is facial hair from shaving, grit from my shoes, fuzz from my socks, some scattered bird seed and an occasional small feather.

Previously, I had the Bissell 3-in-1, which had awesome suction power...but, was poorly designed, and badly manufactured.
This Dirt Devil has just enough power for these very basic needs; and, that's too bad, as it so well designed and put together.
For example: whereas the Bissell would suck up seed when within a few inches of it, I have to roll the Dirt Devil directly over the seed...slowly...before it vacuums it up. Another quibble is that the handle is at least 3" too short. I am 6' 3", and have to stoop quite a bit in order to use the vacuum.

On the plus side:
-very well constructed
-all parts lock in securely, and don't come loose during use
-it has a long cord, which let's me vacuum all 13 steps coming up into my apartment

If this vacuum had more power, I would luv it. Because of the high quality of the overall unit, I like it well enough to keep, and recommend to anyone needing a stick vac for very light use.

Galaxy Note 3 Case, Verus [Heavy Drop Protection] Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Case [Thor][Dark Silver] Slim Fit Dual Layer Protective Hard Case - Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, International, and Unlocked - Case for Samsung Galaxy Note 3 GNote 3 2013 Model
Offered by Verus USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking, adds serious protection, doesn't compromise ease-of-use, April 30, 2015
As all smartphone owners know, choosing a case is always a delicate balancing act between good looks and/or max protection vs. ease-of-use.

Examples:
1) For ease-of-use, you can't beat today's TPU cases. They go easily on/off the phone without stretching out of shape, add little in the way of bulk or weight and offer decent protection against daily wear & tear. However, they make your phone look generic (cheap), leave your screen unprotected and are not going to do a whole lot if the phone takes a big impact

2) On the other side of the spectrum, are the 'book cases' that completely wrap your phone; but, make it a lot harder to answer a call, take pix, etc. You also have the multi-layer Otterbox-class cases. These cases offer IronMan style protection over every inch of your device...but, are bulky, heavy and a major pain-in-the-a_ _ to dissemble for battery changes, etc.

I have been using a TPU case for my Note 3 since I bought it, and have no qualms, except for the utter lack of style. That's why I was intrigued by the Verus 'Thor' Heavy Drop Case. The photos showed a unique 'wasp-waist' profile, hybrid (hard shell/soft inner shell) construction, and superior protection from heavy drops. I ordered the 'Dark Silver' case, and it arrived a few days ago.

Although I have resisted the urge to test it on a 'heavy drop', I have found the case living up to the rest of Verus's claims. The case-proper is black TPU...soft and rubbery where it covers the back of the Note 3...stiffer and reinforced around its raised edges. These edges bulge out tastefully around the phone's 4 corners, to provide superior protection during heavy impacts; and, keep the screen off of any surface, if you have the phone resting screen-down.

There are a lot of nice touches:
-The case is tapered in the middle, for a natural grip, which is helpful because the plastic hard shell 2nd layer is a bit slippery.

-The plastic shell is so nicely made, that I was initially convinced that it was brushed metal. The combination of the silver-gray finish against the black TPU is a very similar look to my (long-gone) Palm Vx...one of the best looking mobile devices every designed.

-All the cutouts are laser-perfect for camera lens/flash, stylus, microphones, speakers, ear buds, cable jack...even an opening on the upper right-hand corner so that the antenna draws a strong signal.

I have no doubt that with the exception of the exposed screen, my Note 3 is well protected in the Verus Thor case. I also have 4 minor quibbles:
1) The hard plastic layer locks into the soft layer almost seamlessly...which makes it very tricky to get off again. I have found that a strong fingernail is needed to get into any of the few existing gaps between plastic and TPU, My fear is that I will end up slicing into the TPU, and/or chipping or cracking the hard plastic.

2) The cutout for the ear buds is perfect for the narrow jack of the buds that come with the phone. However, I use better earbuds that have an L-jack, with a bit more plastic. It's tough getting the jack deep enough into the cavity for a proper connection

3) For a 'strong' case, the Thor adds surprisingly little in the way of bulk; BUT, it adds a lot of additional weight (vs the phone's 'naked' weight).

4) The photo clearly shows a case where the hard plastic is almost black. The case I got is truly a dark silver color...MUCH lighter than what is shown. As it happens, I like the color...but, its not what I was expecting.

Overall, I really like the Verus Thor 'Heavy Drop' case. It adds a lot of protection, a lot of style and does so without compromising the easy access to functionality I demand from a smartphone case. I would recommend this case to any other Note 3 owner.

Dunham by New Balance Men's Windsor Waterproof Oxford,Brown,14 EE US
Dunham by New Balance Men's Windsor Waterproof Oxford,Brown,14 EE US
Price: $129.95
5 used & new from $129.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Typically great New Balance comfort...but, they run 1 width small., April 27, 2015
I have been wearing New Balance shoe products exclusively for almost 20 years.
Currently, I own two pair of Dunham shoes, and two pairs of New Balance sneakers. They are all size 14 2E, and it fit perfectly.
With these Dunham shoes, the 14 2E was painfully tight across the instep; pressing the thick laces into my foot.

Amazon made it very easy for me to swap them out for size 14 4E, which came three days later; and, fit perfectly. The leather upper is somewhat stiff when first worn; but, within 20 minutes of wearing them, they were broken in.

I will provide one caution, for those who expect the shoe to match the picture on Amazon: the shoes are not smooth cordovan-brown leather, with a shiny finish. They are dark brown, pebble-grained leather with a duller finish...similar to a good hiking boot. Regardless, these are very comfortable, sturdy shoes that feel like they will go the distance.

I am very happy with these shoes.

Harrison's High Potency Super Fine 1lb
Harrison's High Potency Super Fine 1lb
Offered by Harrison's Bird Foods
Price: $11.00
5 used & new from $7.94

5.0 out of 5 stars The SUPER food for all companion birds, April 19, 2015
I've been raising cockatiels for several decades; and, there are three things that always worry me:

1) The fact that parrots are expert at hiding maladies and injuries until they become very severe

2) The serious dearth of Board-certified Avian Veterinarians (ABVP)

3) The over-abundance of vet 'dabblers', who know how to clip a bird's wings, and market themselves as 'exotic-bird experts' (if they aren't ABVP, they aren't Avian vets!)

With an hour's drive to my nearest ABVP, it's important that I do everything in my power to keep my birds healthy..., and that starts with Harrison's Bird Foods. Developed by one of the world's top Avian Vets, and the only bird foods made in a 'human' cereal processing plant, where they are subject to the highest level of purity and quality control.

When weaning a bird onto a pellet diet, I start with Harrison's High Potency for the first 6 months. This super-charged food provides increased amounts of nutrients and boost every aspect of the bird's health. After 6 months, you switch the birds over to Harrison's Lifetime.

This is how I became aware of Harrison's pellets: I had a cockatiel who had plucked all the feathers from under her wings for 6 months; so, I took her to one of the aforementioned 'exotic bird experts'. He looked at her for 90 seconds, diagnosed the plucking as the parrot "...having a new hobby..." and charged me $85.00. I then took her to an ABVP, who tested her droppings, gave her a detailed examination and diagnosed her as suffering from malnutrition (Hartz seed mix) and a yeast infection.
He prescribed the Harrison's High Potency for her nutrition, and medicine for the infection. After 3 months, she became calm, stopped plucking, and became a happy, healthy little girl.

I find that small parrots (cockatiels, conures, etc.) prefer the smaller size of the Super Fine (it looks like seeds). But, there is an appropriate size for your bird. If you love your bird companion, and want to ensure that they are as healthy as can be, then you owe it to yourself to get them on Harrison's.

Song of the Sea [HD]
Song of the Sea [HD]
DVD
Price: $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless tale, spun in the most timeless of fashions. Literally, the stuff that dreams are made of., April 19, 2015
There is a character in "Song of the Sea" called 'The Great Shanachie', which is also a fitting title for the author/director, Tomm Moore.

In a style that resonates at the most fundamental human levels, Mr. Moore presents a tale of legend, of discovery, heroism...and, most of all...the importance of family. "Song of the Sea" is, on the surface a tale of the Shelties...seals who can turn to beautiful women and sometimes marry human men. In Mr. Moore's hands, the tale is about the impact of loss on the human heart; and, how in trying to end the pain, the soul can be lost. Yet, it is a tale of hope...of how in the simple act of raising one's eyes from the ashes of lost dreams, one may find that the dreams have always remained...simply out of sight.

If I wax poetic, forgive me. This film is incredibly human, with a depth of story and characterization that makes many 'live' films pale in comparison. It is like something you would expect to listen to at dusk, in front of a turf fire with the strains of a Celtic harp singing all around you. Add to that, an utterly unique and beautiful animation style that enables the film to achieve the dreamlike state of myth.

Utterly beguiling and suitable for all ages, the "Song of the Sea" is a film to be cherished, and handed down to the next generation.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7