Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Classics and Essentials in CDs & Vinyl Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL
Profile for Andrew Dyer > Reviews

Andrew Dyer's Profile

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Andrew Dyer RSS Feed (Boone, NC United States)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Collection Volume 1
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Ultimate Collection Volume 1
by Kevin B. Eastman
Price: $28.24
70 used & new from $28.24

5.0 out of 5 stars TMNT for Adults, August 11, 2014
Having grown up on the cartoon TMNT but been told that the original series was much more adult, I decided to check out this run of the original series.

Although this is in no way a kid's title, I found it quite excellent. Much of the "darkness" of this series is very tongue-in-cheek, but is nonetheless, perfectly done--the right amount of humor is mixed in to offset the grimness. Vol. 1 only contains the first 8 stories, but this was a good introduction to many of the characters that would morph into the TV Show characters (the turtles, Splinter, Shredder, Casey Jones, April O'Neil, Kang, etc) allowing the reader to explore their original origins.

All-in-all, I highly recommend this graphic novel for anyone interested in seeing how the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were before they were kiddiefied.

NEW Quiet 1/5 hp MASTER AIRBRUSH TANK COMPRESSOR-(FREE) AIR HOSE and Now a (FREE) How to Airbrush Training Book to Get You Started, Published Exclusively By TCP Global.
Offered by TCP Global Corp
Price: $99.96
3 used & new from $81.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Quiet Compressor for Cheap, August 21, 2013
I haven’t had the opportunity to use this compressor a lot yet, but so far I am pleased with this compressor, especially for the price. I had been searching for an airbrush compressor that was quiet and had a tank for some time now and I’d generally not come across any others at this price point. The airbrush manufacturer branded compressors seemed especially expensive. But for roughly $100, even if it only lasts a few years, I won’t be terribly upset.

Functionally, it seems work correctly as a compressor. No air leaks, seems pretty solidly built, etc. I usually use it in the 20-30 PSI range and have used it up to 40-50 PSI with no problems what so ever. It does vibrate a lot though. I had it on a cement floor and it moved a good eighteen inches from the vibrations. But that’s not a big deal. Otherwise, everything seems to work great.

The best feature, as far as I’m concerned is the noise, or lack thereof. I have two little kids so I needed something quiet that I could use at night and during nap time, since those are the only real times I can use it. While it isn’t silent, you can very easily have a conversation over it. One more than one occasion, my wife and I had conversations at normal volume while the compressor was filling the tank and the noise was not even the least bit distracting. And she can’t hear it at all if she’s outside of the room I’m in (with the door shut). Having a tank makes it quieter as well.

The one complaint I have is that it took an insane amount of Teflon tape on the regulator to get it to screw in upright. If I used no tape, or very little, it always ended up upside down. And a regulator is not very useful if you can’t see it (plus the moisture trap issues that would create). I’d like to see the regulator threading designed a little better.

All-in-all, this is a pretty good compressor, especially if you want something quiet and cheap.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 13, 2015 3:39 AM PDT

Gotrek & Felix: Road of Skulls (Warhammer Novels: Gotrek & Felix)
Gotrek & Felix: Road of Skulls (Warhammer Novels: Gotrek & Felix)
by Josh Reynolds
22 used & new from $28.10

3.0 out of 5 stars Really, it should be 2.5 stars, March 3, 2013
I really, really wanted to like the latest Gotrek and Felix novel, I really did. I've been a fan of the series for twenty years now and I have every novel in the series and several of the old, well out of print Boxtree books. Josh Reynold's previous short stories weren't bad either (although clearly Black Library didn't give him the complete collection to go through before he took on the characters).

Overall, this book isn't the worst of the series (that probably goes the Giant Slayer or Orc Slayer), but it's not that good either. The first problem I had is that the story is way to "macro" by focusing more on the Chaos and Dwarf armies than on the characters. In this respect it reminds me more of the Warhammer 40,000 Battles series of novels than the Gotrek and Felix series.

The second problem I have with it is that it is way over the top with product placement. I know that the purpose of each and every one of these novels is to sell models, but this one is worse than usual. It almost appeared that they sat Mr. Reynolds down with a copy of the Warrior of Chaos army book, circled what was new, and told him to include it. For example, the Chaos General has a bound Slaughterbrute right down to the swords embedded in the monster's spine (just like the model). I don't mind some product placement, but they were a little too "in your face" with it this time.

The final problem I had with it is that Mr. Reynolds repeats phraseology. Clearly, he's got a few favorite descriptors that he uses over an over. The two most used (although there were more) is every body is "caught unawares" and every armor reference is the a "cuirass," to the point where it seems that no other armor is worn. In one chapter, the "caught unawares" has been used four times within the first ten pages of the chapter! Get a thesaurus please! This repetition just smacks of laziness.

So those were the problems I had with this book. If you are a big fan of the series, go ahead and get it just to be complete, but if you're not familiar, go back and start at the beginning.

99 Problems (Album Version (Explicit)) [Explicit]
99 Problems (Album Version (Explicit)) [Explicit]
Price: $1.29

5.0 out of 5 stars 99 Problems, December 19, 2012
Not much to say here, really. Great, catch song that even someone not generally into Jay-Z can get in to.

SPIGEN SGP Samsung Galaxy S3 Screen Protector Steinheil Ultra Nano Optics [2-PACK] Anti-Fingerprint Cover Film Shield for AT&T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, International, 3G, US, LTE, i9300 - ANTI-GLARE

4.0 out of 5 stars Spigen SGP Steinheil Ultra Nano Optics, December 13, 2012
I had been using the Spigen SGP Steinheil Ultra Nano screen protector for my Galaxy S3, which I had really been impressed with. However, last weekend, one of my son's sticky toys had pulled the last one I had off of my phone and I was in a bit of a bind. I rushed quickly to Amazon to find out that the Ultra Nano was out of stock, as was their Curved Crystal that I had wanted to try. In fact, all the lines that I remembered when I initially purchased the Ultra Nano were out of stock! So I quickly decided on the Ultra Nano Optics because they applied dry and they were the cheapest (to get me by in until either the ones I liked were back in stock or I could reeducate myself on the current lineup).

The Ultra Nano Optics arrived yesterday and I applied one last night. I was a little disappointed that they only came 2 in a pack instead of 3, like the Ultra Nano. However, they applied much easier as the backing peeled away with much less force. The surface is a little rough, which I guess is supposed to reduce oil and grease residue. The good news is that the roughness doesn't provide any noticeable resistance to your finger. But when you move your finger over the protector it sounds almost like you are scratching a vinyl record. The Ultra Nano Optics don't seem to effect the color badly, although it does give everything a matte finish. All-in-all, the Ultra Nano Optics are decent screen protectors, although I'd probably only give them 3.5 stars if Amazon would let me. I don't like it as much as the regular Ultra Nano, but if you want a cheap screen protector, these should fit the bill.

Samsung Galaxy S3, Marble White 16GB (AT&T)
Samsung Galaxy S3, Marble White 16GB (AT&T)
Price: $699.99
20 used & new from $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Phone!, December 5, 2012
I bought this phone back in July, but I wanted to give it a few months before reviewing it. As the update to Jelly Bean (Android 4.1) is now available, this is the perfect time to finally review it.

To put it succinctly, I love this phone!

Now, for the more detailed review. My biggest concern when I upgraded from the Samsung Captivate was the screen size. I was very happy with the Captivate's 4 inch screen and I was worried that the S3's 4.8 inch screen would be to much. This fear proved to be unfounded as the S3 is barely larger than the Captivate, the extra screen real estate being due to the smaller bezel. My mother, who has the iPhone 4, constantly mentions how much nicer my phone is than hers, because it is big enough to see stuff on. I'm also a sucker for AMOLED displays as I prefer more vibrant colors that AMOLED displays have to offer. For those of you that may have read complaints about the Pentile screen, I cannot notice any jaggedness in the images; especially with it being a high-definition screen. All-in-all, this is an excellent display.

This phone is also super-fast. When I tell it to do something, it does it. My Captivate, even from the beginning, would sometimes stall on tasks. The only time the S3 ever has an lag is when I exit from the stock messaging app. Apparently, based on what I have gathered online, this is due to the stock clock widget not wanting to share RAM and then forcing a screen redraw (Although I haven't had this problem in the 1 day since I updated to Jelly Bean). Throw in AT&T's LTE service and 802.11n connectivity, and it pulls data with no delay (I've pulled down as fast as 57 Mbps in Northern Virginia)

However, what I love the most about this phone is Android 4.0/4.1. It is much more polished than previous versions, with better software to boot. I recommend installing the Chrome web browser, which doesn't work in previous versions of Android, so you can sync your bookmarks between your phone and your Chrome on your computer. Samsung's improvements to the TouchWiz interface are also much appreciated. All the complaints I had about previous versions have been fixed. It supports scrollable widgets, you can display the battery icon with a percentage, it supports shortcuts and weather information on the lockscreen, and contains more useful options on the taskbar. With all that discussed, I have to mention my favorite new feature: SmartStay. Samsung added the capability that when your screen is set to turn off, the front facing camera turns on and looks to see if it can see a face. If it does, it doesn't turn off the screen. This is great for reading on, as you don't have to make sure to tap the screen every thirty seconds or so. The only negative change is that you the application launcher icon can't be moved from the lower right hand corner.

I also wanted to note that the GPS is much improved from the Galaxy S1 series of phones (including my old Captivate). I've never had a problem and it has always been spot on.

I did want to give a couple of final caveats to this review. First, I don't hardly use the camera. What I have used it for seems to work great, but I don't use any advanced features and can't really comment on them. Second, I'm one of the few people who seems to like TouchWiz. But if that's not your thing, there are plenty of launcher replacements available. Finally, since this is a review of a phone, I should probably mention that the call quality is good. I've not had any real problems using this as a phone.

I also wanted to note one common problem that I've read about others experiencing and I experienced once. There is some problem with some phones having their clipboards corrupted. This happened to me about a month into owning the phone and I fixed it with a factory reset. So far, it hasn't happened again.

I highly recommend this phone.

SPIGEN SGP Samsung Galaxy S3 Steinheil Ultra Nano CLEAR 3-PACK Screen Protector Cover

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult to apply, but great after that, August 18, 2012
I bought this screen protector after reading various praise for their protectors and I've been completely happy with my purchase. My biggest concern with screen protectors is that I want as little resistance as possible when I slide my finger across it. This one has none, which makes me very happy. They come in packs of three, and I got about 6 months out of one before I had to replace it, as something had peeled it back and caused wrinkles.

The one word of warning I'd give is to be very careful when applying it. The manufacturer has a video guide on their website that I highly recommend watching. I also recommend doing any and everything you can to reduce the dust in the air. The first one I applied had gotten so much dust under it in the few seconds it was exposed to the air between peeling off the back and placing it on the phone that I had to throw it away and start fresh. They do include some dust removers, but if there is to much dust, they are just impractical.

Although I am happy with these, I do intend to try Spigen's Curved Crystal protectors after my last one needs to be replaced.