Profile for Hubert > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 9

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Hubert RSS Feed (Los Angeles, CA)

Marvis Classic Strong Mint Toothpaste - 75ml
Marvis Classic Strong Mint Toothpaste - 75ml
Offered by Linda Vista Beauty Nest
Price: $10.55
14 used & new from $5.23

3.0 out of 5 stars Nothing Special, April 28, 2014
I felt compelled to write this review to balance out all of overwhelmingly positive (fake?) reviews. Based on these reviews, I assumed this toothpaste would be much stronger than Crest, but the mint flavor is actually less intense than Crest. On top of that, this toothpaste doesn't foam up at all, which makes it difficult to brush for a full two minutes. Overall, this product is nothing special and doesn't warrant the higher price, in my opinion.

Jawbone BIG JAMBOX Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - White Wave - Retail Packaging
Jawbone BIG JAMBOX Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - White Wave - Retail Packaging
Offered by Just Right!
Price: Click here to see our price
36 used & new from $149.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound Quality in a Great Package, May 25, 2012
Note: This is an adaptation of my review of the Bose SoundLink Wireless Mobile Speaker - Nylon, which is also an excellent option, as noted below.

I recently purchased several bluetooth speakers to test in my bedroom and office in hopes that I would like one enough to keep. Before I get into the details, I'll cut to the chase and let you know that I decided to keep the Big Jambox over the Bose SoundLink. While the Bose puts out a truly impressive amount of sound from such a small, portable package, the sound quality is not as good as the Big Jambox at low to normal volume levels.

The products I tested were the Bose SoundLink Wireless, Jawbone Jambox, Jawbone Big Jambox, and Logitech Wireless Boombox. Without getting into too much detail about other products, I found that the two best speakers for filling a medium to large room with music were the Bose SoundLink and Big Jambox, which isn't a surprise given the that these are the two most expensive speakers of the bunch, both priced at $299. Ultimately, though, I felt that the Big Jambox sounded and looked better (for my taste), so I returned the Bose and Logitech Wireless Boombox (I also kept the little Jambox for my office, which doesn't sound nearly as good as the bigger speakers, but makes for a great ultra-portable speaker for half the price ($150)).

My biggest problem with the sound of the Bose Soundlink is that there's far too much bass at low to normal volume levels. This is a problem for me because the bass clouds the rest of the music -- vocals become difficult to hear and the treble is nearly non-existent. The Bose sounds muddy and veiled under these circumstances, especially in small rooms. And to be clear, I'm a big fan of bass. I hate speakers that have no bass because the music I listen to (jazz, pop, hip hop, electronic) really benefit from bass. In contrast, the Big Jambox has a much better balance of bass, midrange, and treble at low to normal volume levels, providing a clearer overall sound.*

However, this is only an issue when the volume on the Bose is lower. As you turn the volume up, the bass becomes less pronounced, as if the other frequencies get louder but the bass stays at the same level. It sounds much much better when the volume is cranked up. In fact, I would say the Bose sounds significantly better than the Big Jambox at high volumes -- at their loudest settings, the Bose projects a bigger, richer sound than the Big Jambox, which can sound a bit shrill and boxed in at its higher settings. The "better" speaker ultimately comes down to how loud you listen to music.

This isn't to say that the Big Jambox sounds bad at high volumes. Frankly, I don't think anyone relying on a small wireless speaker is expecting perfection. The Big Jambox can still fill a very large room with an impressive amount of sound, and I find that it tends to distort less at higher volumes than the Bose. Not to mention the Big Jambox comes in a fantastic package. The speaker in white is extremely attractive, well built, has a long battery life, syncs easily with multiple devices, and has a great speakerphone option. Ultimately, I preferred the sound of the Big Jambox for my use and decided to keep that speaker. If you're more of a party-level listener, though, you would be wise to choose differently.

*One issue I've had with the Big Jambox is that, unlike the Bose, the Big Jambox emits a static "hissing" sound that is audible in a quiet room. If you listen to music at low volume or sit near the speaker, this sound will be very obvious (and possibly quite annoying). The Bose has no hiss sound whatsoever. I'm hoping this is an issue Jawbone can fix with a firmware update, as they did with the little Jambox, but it's not much of an issue for me since I listen at normal volumes and never sit near the speaker.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2014 11:17 AM PST

Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Wireless Speaker - Nylon (Old Version)
Bose SoundLink Bluetooth Wireless Speaker - Nylon (Old Version)
4 used & new from $210.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Sound Quality In A Great Package, May 25, 2012
I recently purchased several bluetooth speakers to test in my bedroom and office in hopes that I would like one enough to keep. Before I get into the details, I'll cut to the chase and let you know that I did not keep the Bose SoundLink. While the SoundLink puts out an impressive amount of sound from such a small, portable package, the sound quality is not the best among the competition for my particular use.

The products I tested were the Bose SoundLink Wireless, Jawbone Jambox, Jawbone Big Jambox, and Logitech Wireless Boombox. Without getting into too much detail about other products, I found that the two best speakers for filling a medium to large room with music were the Bose SoundLink and Big Jambox, which isn't a surprise given the that these are the two most expensive speakers of the bunch, both priced at $299. Ultimately, though, I felt that the Big Jambox sounded and looked slightly better (for my taste), so I returned the Bose and Logitech Wireless Boombox (I also kept the little Jambox for my office, which doesn't sound nearly as good as the bigger speakers, but makes for a great ultra-portable speaker for half the price ($150)).

However, this is only an issue when the volume on the Bose is lower. As you turn the volume up, the bass becomes less pronounced, as if the other frequencies get louder but the bass stays at the same level. It sounds much much better when the volume is cranked up. In fact, I would say the Bose sounds better than the Big Jambox at high volumes -- at their loudest settings, the Bose projects a bigger, wider, fuller sound than the Big Jambox. The ideal speaker ultimately comes down to how loud you plan to listen to music most of the time.

This isn't to say that the Bose Soundlink sounds bad at low to normal volumes. Frankly, I don't think anyone relying on a small wireless speaker is expecting perfection. The Bose gives you very good sound and will impress you with how loud it gets -- you can fill a very large room with music. Not to mention the Bose comes in a fantastic package. The speaker is attractive, well built, has a long battery life, and syncs easily. If I didn't have the Big Jambox nearby to compare, I would have been very happy with the Bose. Ultimately, though, I preferred the sound of the Big Jambox for my use and decided to keep that speaker. If you're more of a party-level listener, though, you will probably choose differently.

*Of course, the Big Jambox has its own problems. Unlike the Bose, the Big Jambox emits a static "hissing" sound that is audible in a quiet room. If you listen to music at low volume or sit near the speaker, this sound will be very obvious (and possibly quite annoying). The Bose has no hiss sound whatsoever. I'm hoping this is an issue Jawbone can fix with a firmware update, as they did with the little Jambox, but it's not much of an issue for me since I listen at normal volumes and never sit near the speaker.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2012 5:33 PM PDT

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon Ships Defective Balls, February 29, 2012
Five stars for the Wilson Evolution itself. It's my favorite indoor basketball. But the balls that Amazon ships are not the same as what you'd buy at a retail store. I just ordered three and all of them had defective seams, creating rough edges on the outside of the ball. Also, several of the seams have gaps with excess glue spilling out of them. I'll be returning all three. Take the extra time to pick these up in the store.

C2G/Cables To Go 40636 3.5mm Stereo Male to 6.3mm (1/4 Inch) Stereo Female Adapter
Price: $3.98
36 used & new from $1.52

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy something else, February 10, 2012
Despite the mixed reviews, I bought this adapter because it was the cheapest option with Amazon Prime shipping. Lo and behold, the adapter arrived and on my first listen the left channel does not work. What a piece of garbage. I will be returning this and spending extra money on something else.

Amazon Kindle Touch Leather Cover, Saddle Tan (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite)
Amazon Kindle Touch Leather Cover, Saddle Tan (does not fit Kindle Paperwhite)

3.0 out of 5 stars The best Amazon-branded Kindle case yet, but still overpriced and made of cheap materials, January 4, 2012
I've owned all of the Kindles at one time or another, as well as their corresponding Amazon-branded cases. While they have all been overpriced and made of cheap materials, they have also fit the Kindle the best compared the third-party cases I've tried. Well this case for the Kindle Touch takes fit to a whole new level. Amazon has finally made a case that protects the Kindle without adding too much bulk or weight. This case fits the Kindle Touch like a glove and barely adds to its thickness or weight. Additionally, the cover folds around the case easily and lies flush against the back of the Kindle, making it easy to open the cover and forget that the cover even exists. Yes, the materials are still cheap (the "leather" looks and feels like plastic, the color is quite awful, and the cover is basically the strength of a thin piece of cardboard and could easily bend in half) and the case is wildly overpriced compared to the third-party competition, but the fit really makes this case a winner for me. It feels like a part of the Kindle, rather than a piece of leather strapped on the back. It also makes the Kindle easier to hold and more book-like. Overall, I have to say I'm very happy with my purchase and won't be removing this case as long as I have the Kindle Touch.

Momofuku
Momofuku
by Peter Meehan
Price: $27.19
85 used & new from $16.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Great stories and ideas, but inaccurate recipes, March 30, 2011
This review is from: Momofuku (Hardcover)
When I first received the Momofuku cookbook, I was really excited. The book itself is beautifully made and David Chang's stories are entertaining and inspirational. However, my enthusiasm for this cookbook faded after trying many of the recipes. For instance, after my meal at Momofuku Ko, I wanted to make the fluke with buttermilk sauce. I followed the recipe and ended up with a sauce that tasted the same, but had a completely different texture. After some searching on the Internet, I found that the restaurant uses a stabilizer to thicken the sauce, which isn't listed in the cookbook recipe. I've found similar issues with many of the other recipes in the cookbook, not to mention recipes that simply have incorrect portions listed for the ingredients (see fried apple pie dough). As a result, many of the recipes in this cookbook are great conceptually, but fail in practice. Perhaps David Chang was trying to adapt his recipes for the home cook, but that hardly makes sense given some of the extremely technical recipes and strange ingredients found within (see meat glue). And speaking of ingredients, it would have been nice if David Chang included recommendations for some of the less common ingredients used in the recipes. For instance, I've read that Chang prefers Yamasa usukuchi, which would be nice to know. I also had to try several different brands of white miso before I found one that tasted right in the miso butter recipe.

Nevertheless, there are some great recipes in the cookbook that work as they should. I'm not sure I would pay $20 again for those few recipes, but you might feel differently.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2011 1:24 PM PDT

Cole Haan Hand-Stained Pebble Grain Leather Kindle Cover with Hinge (Fits Kindle Keyboard), Saddle Tan

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful soft leather, but flimsy and too large, November 27, 2010
I received a Cole Haan Kindle 3 cover in the mail today and have already decided to return it. Let me say up front that the quality of the Cole Haan cover is fantastic. The leather is soft and beautiful and the Saddle Tan color is very handsome. If it weren't for the shortcomings listed below, I would be in love with this product. Unfortunately, the Cole Haan cover falls short of its main purpose, which is to protect the Kindle.

My main complaint with the Cole Haan cover is that the front flap is not reinforced, which leaves the Kindle screen vulnerable to damage. Because the front cover is simply a piece of soft leather, the Cole Haan cover does not protect the front of the Kindle from pressure or impact. For instance, I carry my Kindle around in my briefcase and the Cole Haan cover would not protect the Kindle screen if it were poked by something else inside or outside of the briefcase. Moreover, the front flap is also very flimsy, which allows it to easily peel away from the Kindle. This leaves the front of the Kindle, especially the screen, exposed to scratches. This is especially frustrating considering the back flap of the Cole Haan cover is reinforced.

My second complaint with the Cole Haan cover is that it's too large for the Kindle 3. In fact, when I first opened the package, I thought I had accidentally ordered the cover for the Kindle 2 because there is over a 1/4 inch of leather protruding from the edges of the Kindle. This extra leather makes the Kindle feel larger and less comfortable to hold. In comparison, the Kate Spade Kindle cover, which my fiancée uses, does not have any extra leather sticking out from the sides of the Kindle and feels so much smaller and sleeker as a result.

All in all, I can't justify the price of the Cole Haan cover because I don't believe it will protect the screen and the fit is off. If Cole Haan fixed these issues, though, this would be a fantastic cover simply because the leather is of such high quality.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2010 7:22 AM PST

Gitzo GT1540T 6X Carbon Fiber Series 1 Rapid Column 4 Section Traveler Tripod
Gitzo GT1540T 6X Carbon Fiber Series 1 Rapid Column 4 Section Traveler Tripod

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Travel Tripod, May 12, 2007
I purchased this tripod for a two-month trip throughout Asia. I needed a small, lightweight tripod because I was carrying my luggage in a small 40-liter backpack. The Gitzo 1540T was perfect for the job. When I didn't need the tripod, I hardly noticed it was in my pack. It folds up to nearly nothing and only weighs around two pounds. However, when I needed the tripod it provided more than adequate support for my Nikon D200 and 200mm lens, even in strong winds. I highly recommend it!