Facility Spring Cleaning Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Profile for Y. Mao > Reviews

Browse

Y. Mao's Profile

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Y. Mao RSS Feed (NY)

Super Paper Mario (Nintendo Selects)
Super Paper Mario (Nintendo Selects)
Offered by Online-Source
Price: $45.95
83 used & new from $12.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome game, now for even less!, September 6, 2011
For me, nothing beats a Mario game. I started with the original, and have been playing pretty much all of them since. I love the Mario Galaxy games, and I like this one equally as much. For those of you who might feel like the artwork is too childish, as some of my friends have pointed out, I can guarantee that once you start playing, you will forget about all of that. The game is fantastic and rivals the best of the Mario games, IMHO. So if you have been unwilling to pull the trigger on this game due to a higher price, now is your chance to dive into the game for a cheaper price and have unlimited number of hours of fun. The game has high replay value, just like any other Mario game. I have played it through 10+ times already, which is pretty high for a Wii game for me. Though I still never tire of it. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I do!

Saint - Nintendo Wii
Saint - Nintendo Wii
Offered by Anchor*Media
Price: $13.22
56 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars What year am I in?, July 24, 2011
This review is from: Saint - Nintendo Wii (Video Game)
So this game, after seeing it in the bargin bin everywhere--Best Buy, Wal-Mart, and several other places, I decided to order it from Amazon and see just why it is constantly being sold so cheap. I read the reviews for it and I didn't really want to make any judgments until I got a chance to actually play it.

The conclusion is that 1 star is too much for this game... I couldn't believe I actually paid someone to ship the game to me... I played from one end to the other in one sitting, hoping for the game to show me something that I wouldn't have seen in a game from the early 90s. But it never did. All of the levels looked alike and all of the gameplay felt the same. I feel like I was back being a little kid sitting in an arcade trying to put in enough tokens to finish a stupid game that I didn't even like, but just finished anyway because it was there. That was exactly how I felt with this game.

Was this game actually made and released in the latter half of the last decade? I suppose so. I can't believe they thought they could actually sell a game like this...

Katamari Damacy - PlayStation 2
Katamari Damacy - PlayStation 2
Offered by Budget Video Games Inc.
Price: $16.49
94 used & new from $8.13

5.0 out of 5 stars Where have I been all my life? Fantastically Fun Game!, May 9, 2010
Feeling destructive or just wishing to vent? This game might just be your solution. I realize it is a game that has got a few years, but I just happened to have picked up a copy recently and it far exceeded my expectations. The picture on the front cover is so ridiculous that you cannot help but wonder just what on earth this game is. Maybe that was only the case with me, I hadn't heard of it before playing it just recently.

This game is one of those wonderful games that claim to be extremely user-friendly and it actually is! You can play the entire game without punching any buttons during game play. You can use a few buttons to your advantage, but they are hardly required. Otherwise, you just use the two analog sticks to navigate around the house, the city, or the world. For me, the only extra buttons I use are the L3+R3 combination that essentially gives you a stationary U-turn.

My only problem with this game is that the time limits set on most of the levels makes everything seem so rushed. I would have loved to just start the game and then take my time to roll around in each level without a time restraint. So all in all, this game turned out to be a bit more stressful than I had originally anticipated.

But I did unlock all of the eternal levels, and now I can just waltz around the three environments and roll up anything and everything in my way. This game is such a wonderful release of tension, especially now when I play, I just go around the eternal levels and try to collect the Katamari to be as big as I can get it.

This game was crafted so brilliantly (idea, design, and just color on the surface). I wish I had heard of it sooner, but I am glad I was able to try it out. It is definitely worth your time and money and some frustrating moments because you just couldn't quite complete the level on time. Practice makes perfect, and I loved just going around, learning the geography in the game, and seeing just what bizarre things I could pick up.

I also have to comment on a string of animated shorts that are done so well that I couldn't stop my chuckle at the end of each segment. They are dispersed throughout the entire game and are fun to watch. I also think it was a brilliant move on the developers' part to allow the players to view all of the clips after having completed the game once.

I still haven't unlocked all of the secrets of this game--the comets. But I am working on it, and I am enjoying every minute of playing this game. I hope for those of you who have yet to join us in loving Katamari to please give this game a chance to win your heart.

Ultimate I Spy - Nintendo Wii
Ultimate I Spy - Nintendo Wii
Offered by Follow Your Heart Always
Price: $28.16
83 used & new from $1.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Not disappointed despite short game, it's a lot of fun. :-), May 9, 2010
The game has been in the Wii for less than a week and I am completely done with it. My profile time registers 7 hours, and I solved all of the puzzles/riddles.

When I was a kid, I loved these kinds of games--though they were more or less in colorful books and not in video game format then. I am now 23, I thought why not give this game a shot. I was not disappointed by the game at all.

In short, the game is just absolutely addicting. I didn't want to put down the game until I was through with a puzzle. Then I wanted to move onto the next puzzle. It was a cumulative effect that propagated throughout the entire game.

But like any other game, this one is not perfect. I will provide a short list of what I perceived to be the pros and cons of this game:

Pros:
1. Fun and addicting
2. Good for everyone
3. Many things to look for. Even though I completed the game quickly, it doesn't mean I was not satisfied with the amount of items I had to seek out in each level/environment.
4. Excellent mini-games that are short and painless.

Cons:
1. TV requirement might be a little high. I have a 32'' LCD HDTV, and I can see just fine--well, most of the items on the screen that I am being asked for. I would have loved to have an enormous TV to play this game on. But if you are like my friend, who doesn't feel the need to upgrade and still plays Twilight Princess on a 20'' CRT SDTV, then you might be in trouble. Some of the things you have to look for are so incredibly small that you might just not be able to see it on the screen. Fortunately, these are few and far in between, so they shouldn't really hinder your game play. And to be honest, I haven't played this game on a smaller TV, so I wouldn't really know how they appear.
2. Ending was just a bit too anti-climactic, I realize this is a game suitable for even little kids, but the ending could have been better.

Nonetheless, I played this game and finished it quickly. I am glad to give it a nice positive review. I would definitely recommend this game to my friends--though they wouldn't have to buy the game, they can just borrow mine. I don't think I will be going back to it any time soon. I should really wait a while until I forget most of the puzzles when I go back.

Hark!: A Novel of the 87th Precinct (87th Precinct Mysteries)
Hark!: A Novel of the 87th Precinct (87th Precinct Mysteries)
by Ed McBain
166 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful research to accompany a good story. Hark!, April 30, 2010
So this is my first Ed McBain novel. I realize that it has characters that have appeared in his previous novels, but this story is a good one on its own. I had no real difficulty reading, nor did I feel the unfamiliar territory that someone who has read the other novels would not. I picked it up from a shelf in a bookstore because it has Willy Shakes on the front cover. I know I am not supposed to judge a book by its cover, but I didn't have too much time to spend, and I just couldn't pass this one up.

Turns out that I made a pretty good decision. I love the research that must have gone into this novel, all of the little details that form the story as a whole. Ed McBain doesn't use a generic character, as a lot of authors do, to model other characters after. Each one has his/her own personality and it feels nice to read a work that doesn't seem rushed. He obviously thought a lot of the stuff through and put it together very nicely.

To those of you who haven't given the book past its tenth page, please give it another shot. One of my pet peeves is people picking up a book and reading a few pages or a couple of chapters and then stop. Well, I guess it doesn't really bother me if others do it, I just can't stand the thought of myself doing it. In any case, the story is worth reading, the little details that don't seem to make sense, but really do. There are some loose ends in the story that may have been or may be summed up in future novels, I don't know. But the major plot concludes very nicely. I am curious to find out more about these characters from the 87th and so I may be shopping around for a few prequels and sequels, whatever is out there.

It is a short book, I read it and took my time reading it because I wanted to absorb all of the little details from the story. I think the plot is wonderfully crafted, but I don't know if it's a similar one from any of McBain's other books. I would recommend this to anyone who is just appreciative of the time and effort some people are willing to put into creating a story.

NES 72 Pin Connector (Bulk Packaging)
NES 72 Pin Connector (Bulk Packaging)
Offered by VideoGameAdvantage
Price: $10.00
20 used & new from $4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work for me, March 17, 2010
After seeing so many good reviews on how this would work, I decided to give it a shot too. Unfortunately it did absolutely nothing for my NES. The blinky light is still there, and I still can't play most of my games. I guess I will have to look into getting another 8-bit system instead of trying to fix the old NES...
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 2, 2010 7:48 PM PDT

My Word Coach
My Word Coach
Offered by rama p.
Price: $23.92
101 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Workout for Your Mind, January 10, 2010
This review is from: My Word Coach (Video Game)
For those of us who really appreciate the English language, this is a wonderful game. I got it earlier today, and haven't played too much, so I guess a review is probably premature, though I felt the need to come here and say the same things that most other people are saying here--what a fantastic game!

So the game has plenty of mini games that are designed for you to enjoy either alone or with several other people. There aren't too many games that you will play while voluntarily and forcefully learning so many words, and still have fun!

The most important thing about the game is that it actually uses appropriate vocabulary for the individual who is playing the game. You can create up to 8 profiles, so that means pretty much everyone who wishes to play in your family could have a personal profile. With the individualized profiles, each person can work on their own vocab. I was always worried that the words wouldn't be challenging enough, but of course I was wrong. This game really pushes my limits.

As others have already pointed out previously, the game is strictly words and definitions. I would really like to see it include pronunciation of the words as well. The word coaches that you get all have voice acting. It might be a lot of words to have to record, but it would improve the overall quality of the game very much. If this cannot be done, at least include a pronunciation key for each word--and maybe you can push A to check the key or something...

But overall, the lack of pronunciation is not a big deal, as the objective is to teach words and definitions. There are other dictionaries for those words that you really just don't know how to say.

The game keeps track of the words that you miss and will continue to throw them back in your face until it thinks that you understand them finally. I find this really helpful because often we just don't get enough exposure to new words--so we learn them over longer periods of time. This shortens that process by many folds.

Again, those of us who wish to improve our vocabulary and language skills, this game is a perfect way to do it. Despite my grievance about the lack of pronunciation, I still give this game a 5 out of 5 for fun and for overall rating.

Ultimate Duck Hunting with Blaster Hunting Bundle - Nintendo Wii
Ultimate Duck Hunting with Blaster Hunting Bundle - Nintendo Wii

1.0 out of 5 stars A big waste of money, January 10, 2010
So I bought this game about 3 months ago and have played it twice at the most. Thinking that it would be similar to the original Duck Hunt, I was so excited that I didn't even bother to read reviews before purchasing it. I mean, seriously, how bad could it be?

Well, it turned out to be as bad as it could have been--as far away from the original, fun, Duck Hunt as possible. I played it once, got really frustrated, put it down. The next time I wanted to give the game another chance, so I tried it again--I was even more frustrated when I couldn't create a profile for myself. For some reason on the screen that you are supposed to be able to create a profile for yourself, the "next" button on the bottom right portion of the page doesn't work. I tried clicking it and clicking it, unsuccessfully. So the couple of times I have played are on the quick play option, I can only see a few sites for hunting, and as for the locked regions, I assume they'll be locked forever, since I can't actually go into single player and unlock them...

Like what a couple of reviews said already, the blaster is very awkward and difficult to use; however, it's a nice decoration to the room--but for the amount of money spent, not really worth it.

I would really like to give the game another chance, but I really can't say when that will happen. The thing's been collecting dust for a while, and every time I pick up the game thinking that this is the time for the game to make it to a list of "playable" games that I have, I just can't bare putting it into the Wii. Ultimately this Ultimate Duck Hunting becomes the Useless Dust Hive...

Just not worth it.