Profile for J. R. SOUTH > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 131

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. R. SOUTH RSS Feed (Albany, New York USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
The Babadook
The Babadook
DVD
Price: $6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely a waste of viewing time, December 7, 2014
Absolutely a waste of viewing time. NOTHING makes any sense in this repetitive plot about a little boy with behavioral problems and his clueless, irritating mother, who may be severely disturbed or possessed. If you can figure what's going on by the end, congratulations. But by that point you'll also be asking yourself "Who cares?" I almost turned it off & wasted my $6.99 rental fee, however I hoped something would happen at the end that would produce an "Aha!" moment. It never came.

The Book of Strange New Things: A Novel
The Book of Strange New Things: A Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.99

1.0 out of 5 stars GODAWFUL, November 13, 2014
First, let me say that until now, I have read, and immensely enjoyed, every single thing Michel Faber has ever written. I have devoured all of his short stories and novels, and so could not wait for the arrival of "...Strange New Things." So what is wrong with it?? EVERYTHING! It is so poorly conceived, so horribly written, it is staggering in its awfulness. It reads like young-adult literature written by a kid...a fanatical, sci-fi fantasizing Christian kid going through puberty. I spent $11.84 for this and just deleted it off my Kindle after an endless six chapters. A complete waste of time and effort. Why was this written, what could possibly be the author's intention, and HOW did it get 31 five-star reviews???

Nostalgia (Ltd. Ed CD/DVD Deluxe Amazon Exclusive)
Nostalgia (Ltd. Ed CD/DVD Deluxe Amazon Exclusive)
Price: $17.82
12 used & new from $15.84

5.0 out of 5 stars I was a little worried that Nostalgia would be just another in a long string of pathetic standard covers by middle-aged artists, October 21, 2014
Just received my deluxe edition of Nostalgia on the day of release! Thanks, Amazon.com. Mind-bogglingly gorgeous and emotional music from a true singer, not just a vocalist. What really separates Annie Lennox from so many, many others is the heart and soul she invests in every song. I was a little worried that Nostalgia would be just another in a long string of pathetic standard covers by middle-aged artists. How could I have doubted Annie's integrity? A totally original, bittersweet collection. Love it.

Partners
Partners
Offered by SONY Music Entertainment Downloads LLC.
Price: $10.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Atrocious, September 28, 2014
This review is from: Partners (MP3 Music)
As a long, long time Streisand fan, I have to say that of late, her vocals and recordings have slid way downhill. But "Partners" is so musically disastrous, I can't imagine her doing anything lower. I listened as best I could to it once, and could never bear to hear it again. First of all, it's blatantly obvious how this recording was made. Except for the opening Michael Buble duet, the songs were recorded separately and then pieced together: first Barbra's vocal, then her partner's, then the musicians. It's a lifeless, contrived sound, and what's worse, none of the songs have any tempo whatsoever. None. They're like formless aural lava oozing all over the place because everything revolves around her vocal, and the songs themselves are an afterthought. Lazy, lazy, lazy music-making. Next we have the repertoire itself, and with one exception, none of the pieces were written as duets, so basically, it's Barbra singing, and people singing along unnecessarily and obtrusively. It's like popping a CD in your disc player, singing along with it, and then calling it a duet. Not. None of Babs old hit collection benefit in any way by having another vocal stuck on top of it. She and her team should have sought out appropriate material. Once again, lazy. Now we come to Barbra's voice, which could and should be maturing nicely, but it's not, and no doubt it's due to the fact that she doesn't sing regularly, doesn't warm up, does not take care of her gift at all. Any singer who loves to sing and treasures their voice will tell you that their instruments cannot be ignored, it's madness. And so even though there are many times when Barbra's tone rings through, for the most part, it often sounds dull tone-wise and asthmatic. But even with that it mind, she still sounds WAY better than her partners, so it's a situation of bad & worse. I expect to be assaulted by obsessively die-hard fans for these opinions, but I stand by them 100%.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2014 7:18 AM PST

Cheek to Cheek (Deluxe)
Cheek to Cheek (Deluxe)
Price: $13.99
45 used & new from $9.60

5.0 out of 5 stars A Big Winner, September 25, 2014
This review is from: Cheek to Cheek (Deluxe) (Audio CD)
All my many doubts about this musical duo vanished as soon as I popped it in my CD player. Those who criticize Lady Gaga's jazz capabilities don't know that jazz is all about freestyle interpretation, so yes, anything goes. Everyone does not have to slur around the scale and sing behind the beat to be a jazz singer. Vocally, Gaga shows off a voluptuous, bouncy upper-range we've never heard before, and Tony hasn't sounded this well-tuned and youthful in ages. A perfect May-December romance. Every song sounds fresh and invigorated in great arrangements. "Cheek to Cheek" is one big happy mood elevator. Grammys and a volume two are guaranteed.

Under the Skin
Under the Skin
DVD
Price: $6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Gigantic Disappointment, July 4, 2014
I read the novel "Under the Skin" by Michel Faber & it was fantastic: a sci-fi metaphor about carnivores, where humans are the meat, regarded by alien harvesters as stupid sources of food. I also have immensely enjoyed Jonathan Glazer's previous films, so I could not WAIT to see his take on this material. But it is a dull, stupefying, god-awful mess. There is no screenplay to speak of, and had I not known anything of the literary foundation of this pathetic adaptation, I would not even have the slightest clue what was going on. I cannot imagine how the author felt about this travesty. However, I can guarantee that if you have insomnia, Glazer's movie version will put you to sleep in 15-20 minutes.

Artpop
Artpop
Offered by POETS CORNER
Price: $6.49
137 used & new from $1.45

2.0 out of 5 stars Is this self-sabotage?, November 12, 2013
This review is from: Artpop (Audio CD)
Okay, we'll get this out of the way immediately: I adore adore adore Lady Gaga. And perhaps the thing that I've admired most about her (and the thing that sets her apart from everyone else) is her great musicality. Her first three CD's were stupendously above par.

Now we come to ARTPOP, which I had the highest expectations for. LG has had a lot of time off with her hip surgery, so I could only presume that she was devoting herself to whipping up her masterpiece. What a shocking, bizarre letdown! They say that if you put enough monkeys in a room with a typewriter indefinitely, eventually they will type "Hamlet." But it would only take a week for those chimps to create these "songs." Gone are any verses, choruses, bridges...or melodies. They are mostly hideous patchworks of shallow, cast-off ideas, picked out of the trash and stuck-together. When some filler is needed, in EVERY SINGLE NUMBER she chants the title out repeatedly. The background instrumentals are an unrelenting din of loud noise. By the time the god-awful "Jewels 'n Drugs" rolls around, the project is DOA. I know some huge Gaga fans whose reaction to this are far worse than mine. I get the concept of ARTPOP, sort of, but it falls thud flat. It is bad art and no pop. Two or three songs are okay, but nothing comes even remotely close to "Just Dance," "Poker Face," "Bad Romance," or "Edge of Glory," just to name a few. In fact, if this were a first recording that preceded her enormous fame, ARTPOP would never have been released. I cannot imagine what was going through her mind as she listened to this mess. Was she somehow setting herself up for failure? If this is what giving up pot did for Gaga, for God's sake, give the girl a doobie.

I gave it two stars instead of one because I do still love Lady Gaga. I hope this isn't the end, but it will take a very long recovery and a mind-blowing comeback to overcome this tragedy.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 21, 2014 6:47 PM PDT

My Story
My Story
by Elizabeth Smart
Price: $20.55
303 used & new from $0.13

4.0 out of 5 stars A Gift of Love (sounds hokey, but it's true), November 3, 2013
This review is from: My Story (Hardcover)
This book is a gift to everyone who reads it. I cannot imagine the haters saying "My Story" was written to cash-in on a horrific, torturous experience. It's an incredibly eye-opening teaching device. Reading it made me weep, not only in empathy, but in admiration for this brave, "smart" woman. Ultimately the message here is of hope and choice in a place called hell. And the other thing I got out of it?? Get real and quit your belly-aching!

I would give the book five stars, but the subject matter is so awful, one couldn't say they actually enjoyed it.

Playlist: The Very Best of Diana Ross
Playlist: The Very Best of Diana Ross
Offered by Great Price Media
Price: $5.99
34 used & new from $2.61

5.0 out of 5 stars Never judge a book by its cover..., November 2, 2013
What a surprise! I picked up this inexpensive Diana Ross collection at Target & bought it on a whim. It turns out it's absolutely great. Awesome selection of songs & fabulous sound mastering. Very up, "feel-good" music. If you love the one and only Miss Ross, this is a must have.

The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells
The Impossible Lives of Greta Wells
by Andrew Sean Greer
Price: $17.99
142 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars The Impossible Writing of Greta Wells, September 23, 2013
This book starts out intriguigingly and quickly fizzles out into nothing. Greta Wells loses her twin brother to AIDS in 1985, becomes depressed, and undergoes electric shock therapy, which begins bouncing her back and forth in time. That's it, the entire disconnected story in a nutshell. The plot (if you can call it that) is incoherent and goes absolutely nowhere. But what really, really bugged me was the author's staggering overuse of exclamation points!! They appear everywhere!!! At least one and usually more on every page!!!! It's as though the reader will not understand anything without exclamation points!!!!! Absolutely dreadful writing and editing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14