Profile for sb-lynn > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 190

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

sb-lynn RSS Feed (Santa Barbara, California United States)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Probably Nothing: A diary of not-your-average nine months
Probably Nothing: A diary of not-your-average nine months
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A young pregnant woman dealing with cancer and chemotherapy tells us what that's like, in graphic novel form., December 16, 2014
This short memoir written as a graphic novel is about Matilda Tristram during her not-so-average pregnancy. I say not-so-average because she found out she had colon cancer during her pregnancy and had surgery to remove the tumor. That surgery left her with a (possibly reversable) colostomy bag and a need for 6 months of chemotherapy.

Ms. Tristam is very open and honest with what she experiences and really gets across just how traumatic and difficult it was for her during her treatment. By keeping an ongoing diary of sorts about what she was feeling both emotionally and physically and we are able to share her fears and her ups and downs. She can go from weepy to happy, from pessimistic to optimistic in short order. She describes her dreams (often nightmares) which give us more insight as to what she's going through and how she (and really anyone) would process it.

I had a similar (yet different) surgery myself this year and I was very interested to read this book. Luckily, I was not pregnant and I can only imagine how much worse this all would have been. Still, I think many people who have gone through these kinds of life-changing experiences really go through a type of PTSD, especially if what happened was unexpected and sudden and required big surgeries and lengthly hospital stays.

I thought Ms. Tristram really nailed the anxiety and everyday thoughts that someone going through what she did would experience and she is able to do so with wit and humor. I am envious of writers who are able to stand back and observe their own experiences and then so eloquently write about them, and that's what she's able to do.

Really a terrific book. I am not usually a fan of graphic novels but this memoir really lends itself to that form.

Note - if you're going to read this book in eBook form as I did, I would recommend getting it on a device that would show the illustrations in color. I read this book on my iPad via the Kindle application and it was great.

Turtle Beach Ear Force XO Seven Pro Premium Gaming Headset with Superhuman Hearing for Xbox One (TBS-2228-01)
Price: $159.95

5.0 out of 5 stars I really like these, and here's why:, December 16, 2014
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like this gaming headset, and here's why:

Pros:

1) Right away when you have them in your hands they feel really sturdy and well made.

2) They are very comfortable to wear. I have multiple Gaming headsets from various manufacturers including Turtle Beach and except for these they all seem to cause the top of my head and my ears to heat up to the point of discomfort. My son refuses to wear gaming headsets for this reason. Consequently he loves XO Seven Pro and has been using them exclusively ever since.

3) Adjustment range for various head sizes is more than adequate. My husband has a big head and my son a small head and it fits both of them perfectly. The over-the-ear cups fit me so nicely and reduce outside noise intrusion so well that I no longer need to wear my Bose noise-canceling headset when I just want to listen to music without noise intrusion.

4) The sound quality on these rivals my Bose and Sennheiser over-the-ear headphones. The highs are very crisp, clear and rich and the lows are deep and sound as though they are emanating from outside of the headphones. Which adds to the feeling your in a area filled with sound and not wearing headphones.

5) The sending of the microphone pickup back through to the earphones is a critical piece to solving the puzzle of the screaming gamer. All of you who own gaming headsets that don't pipe the microphone input back through the earphones like a monitor will know exactly what I'm talking about when I say my teenager, after using this headset has stopped yelling when in-game chatting with his friends. It seems like such and obvious thing you'd think it would have been included in every over-the-ear gaming headset.

6) The microphone is easily attached and detached so that you can just sit and enjoy audio or watching a movie/TV privately with out it interfering.

7) I really like the feature of the "New Superhuman Hearing Mode" It's critical in both casual and competitive gaming when you need to quickly isolate subtle audio queues. I also like that it's easily switched on and off.

8) Including the Ear Force Headset Audio Controller was a great idea. And moving the Audio Presets and Volume controls off of the headphones and to this controller add-on module was smart. I grew very tired of previous Turtle Beach gaming headsets that you had to feel around the ear cup to find the right buttons to press to adjust the audio.

Cons:

1) The cord from the headphones to the headphone jack gets easily twisted and has to be regularly spun out to straighten it.

2) The Ear Force Headset Audio Controller Module is very difficult to remove from the controller. This is my greatest concern. Since my son can't remove it and when I try to it feels like I might break it or the controller every attempt at removal. Hopefully this get's redesigned in future iterations of this product line.

I would definitely recommend this gaming headset and would give them 5 stars, keeping in mind the concerns expressed under "cons".

Braun NTF3000US Braun No Touch plus Forehead Thermometer
Braun NTF3000US Braun No Touch plus Forehead Thermometer
Price: $45.39
21 used & new from $38.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised by how much I like this thermometer. I wish I had this when my kids were little., December 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I use thermometers often because I have a serious autoimmune condition that often leaves me with a low-grade fevers. And I have tried so many different thermometers and have been disappointed with most of them because they seem to come up with a different temperature even when used seconds apart. I used to say that the only thermometer I truly trusted was the old-fashioned mercury ones, which of course are unavailable now.

Well, I got this thermometer and I think I may have changed my mind. So far I am really impressed with it, and it seems to be more consistent and dependable (and easier to use) then even the more expensive ones I have owned in the past.

This thermometer is super-easy to use and you don't have to put on any type of cover or sleeve over the tip in order to use it and I really appreciate that. Here's how it works:

You just click the little power on button on the back and a yellow light (looks like a little laser light) will flash out the front. Hold the thermometer so that it is about an inch or two away from your forehead and aim the yellow light right between your eyebrows. Holding the thermometer steady, push the top temperature button located on the back and it will register your temperature and signal you with one beep if your temperature is normal.

If you are not holding the thermometer near enough to your forehead, you won't hear a sound and the screen will say, "Fwd." You just move it closer and click the temperature button again.

If your temperature is normal, you will hear a single longish beep and the screen will show your temperature with a bright green background.

If you have a slight fever - 99.4-101.3 - then you will hear a series of 10 quick audible beeps and the backlight will be yellow. If you have a higher temperature - 101.3-108 - the back light will be red instead of yellow and you will again here the beeps. In this way, you can ascertain quickly whether or not you have a fever by either hearing the multiple beeps and/or by seeing the color of the display on the screen. Also note that if you have taken your temperature incorrectly or it is below 96.3, you won't even get a background light.

When you are done, you can either click the power button again to off or just wait and it will automatically turn off by itself in a minute.

I am just so pleased with this thermometer because so far, it has been so consistent and it is so, so easy to use. I like it much more than the ones that you place near the temples (that have never worked for me) or the ones that go in your ears. I will still use my old-fashioned oral thermometer as a backup or if I want to double check the results.

Since I use this thermometer so much, if I start to have any problems with it in terms of consistency or reliability or anything else, I will come back and edit this review.

Highly, highly recommended. I wish they had this thermometer when my kids were little. I know they wish I did too!

Arthritis Gloves - 1 x Pair Small IMAK PRODUCTS CORP IMA20170 Pack MMED-IMA20170 Pack
Offered by Surgical Medical Source
Price: $19.10
4 used & new from $18.39

5.0 out of 5 stars These are GREAT if you have Raynauds or calcinosis or problems involving your hands, December 6, 2014
I have had an autoimmune disease called CREST and have had it for many years now. The first symptom I had was Raynauds and it's always a struggle to deal with painful and frozen hands when the outside weather turns cold. Plus, I've been looking for gloves that I can wear when I have a calcinosis and want to keep my fingers protected.

I've tried many different types of gloves and hand-warmers over the years. For me, I will wear and get more use out of gloves that allow me full use of my hands, and in particular, those that are open by the fingertips. These gloves really fit that bill.

Let me describe them - they are fairly thin and stretchy, and they will cover your hands up to the top joint (just below your fingernails.) Although the fabric is thin, they are definitely warm and do feel like they constrict my movments but exactly the way I want them constricted - I can still use my fingers and my fingertips yet I am protecting the rest of my hands from being over-extended. I hope I explained that clear enough.

So for me, someone with Raynauds and CREST, these gloves are both practical and helpful and I wear them a lot. Note I am talking mainly about wearing these inside your home or in a store. You'd probably want to wear a glove over them if the weather is really cold - the fingertips are open and exposed

Highly recommended.

T.S. Shure Wooden Magnetic World Map Puzzle
T.S. Shure Wooden Magnetic World Map Puzzle
Price: $49.11
3 used & new from $48.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Really colorful and solid; impressive looking, December 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got this map for my nieces and nephews - 4 kids all under the age of 7. They have traveled most of their lives and have spent the last year going around the world with their family. (I know - traveling around the world with 4 little kids....brave, hardy parents.)

I was curious whether they'd like this map and the answer is a resounding yes. The map itself is quite large (not quite as large as the 3 boxes used to ship it.) It's extremely colorful but you can see for yourselves that by looking at the picture of the cover - it's as pretty and the colors as vibrant as it looks there.

Each wooden piece of the puzzle is beautifully made and you can see not only the cities, but the topography and terrain as well as landmarks and famous sites.

My only reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is because the magnets tended to fall off when we put the map on the wall. Their fine if you don't touch them but if you bump them, they may skid off.

Still, I'd recommend this map and it makes for a great educational toy.

Case Logic Snap-View Folio for iPad 6 with Fstening Cover, Black (CSIE-2139)
Case Logic Snap-View Folio for iPad 6 with Fstening Cover, Black (CSIE-2139)
Price: $23.87
6 used & new from $23.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Good iPad case. Pros and cons:, December 2, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have had many different iPad cases and covers and this one would rate a solid 4 stars.

Pros:
This iPad case holds the iPad very securely, and that really is the most important thing. It was easy to put the iPad inside and once it's in place, it will not drop out. In fact, it was very difficult to remove my iPad when I tried to remove it. The cover also feels very plush inside, that is the part that would lay against the iPad screen. I also like the fact that the cover has a snap closure, and you can use that same closure to secure the iPad in an upright position. That's a great feature. Another big plus for this case is that it is so lightweight, a problem with many of the other covers/cases I've reviewed.

As far as cons, I would say the biggest one for me is that the case itself, especially the back, looks and feels a little cheap. The case I am reviewing is black and it might look better in one of the other colors.

All in all, I think this is a good, practical iPad case and is a good companion for the lightweight new iPad Air 2.

DEWALT DCF681N2 8V Max Gyroscopic Screwdriver with Conduit Reamer
DEWALT DCF681N2 8V Max Gyroscopic Screwdriver with Conduit Reamer
Price: $136.97
13 used & new from $129.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, here's some pros and cons:, December 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Pros:

1) Very durable case included. For all of us whom have multiple drawers and tool chests filled with tools; finding the correct tool can be time consuming. It is nice that this cordless driver comes with a case.
2) The motion activated variable speed motor was very responsive to my aggressive and gentle movements. I was very impressed with how it handled various tasks of both quick and delicate. When I needed to quickly take a part a screw-laden device, I could put the driver into the screw head and with a quick turn of my wrist to the left it would spin the screw out quickly. When I needed a more careful approach to a nearly stripped screw head I could gentle turn it to the left to slowly remove the screw.
3) The torque at low speeds was very strong. I could apply a sizeable amount of pressure to grip the screw head and it would remove the screw fine at slow speed.
4) Included LED light was very useful. Not only did I use it for the intended purpose for seeing the screw head but also, looking in dark devices to locate the screws holding something together. It was very convenient not to have to switch or hold two separated devices. I'm kind of surprised that this wasn't implemented earlier.
5) Battery life is very good and the extra battery very helpful when doing long jobs.

Cons:

1) The biggest glaring issue is that it doesn't come with a bit set. This would have made it a complete package.
2) A bit to thick of a body for some jobs in tight spaces. Might be able to be handled with a bit extension.

Other than the cons listed above, recommended.

Belkin Slim Style Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2 and iPad Air (Blacktop / Gravel)
Belkin Slim Style Keyboard Case for iPad Air 2 and iPad Air (Blacktop / Gravel)
Price: $99.99
24 used & new from $59.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great if you've upgraded your iPad to OS 8.1.1 - nice keyboard cover with a couple of reservations, November 30, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was about to post this review and I noticed a lot of one star reviews. I was curious why, and I noticed that many of those people who had given this keyboard one star had not upgraded their iPads to 8.1.1. Apparently, there are various problems with this Belkin keyboard if you don't do that upgrade, so be forewarned.

Having said that, this is my review if you've done the upgrade.

Pros:

1) The bluetooth was very easy to set up and pair.

2) This keyboard and its bluetooth connection seem very dependable. I've been using it for a while and have yet to lose the connection, whether the keyboard stands idle for a while or not. That's obviously a big plus for any wireless keyboard and a problem for many of them.

3) The iPad feels very secure once you put it in this case and it has a magnetic clasp that helps keep it closed when shut. I really feel as if my iPad is secure and would be safe if I dropped it.

4) This keyboard is so quiet - barely a sound when you type on it and I can type quickly on it.

Cons:

1) The big negative for me is that this keyboard case is very heavy. One of the advantages of the iPad Air 2 is that it's so lightweight so if that's important to you, you may not be that happy with this cover. Perhaps that's the tradeoff for having such a secure and sturdy keyboard case so just be aware of that before you buy this.

2) It takes some effort to get your iPad into this case. In fact I asked my husband to help me because I was afraid I was going to break the iPad. But he succeeded and do know that the good thing about that is that your iPad will definitely feel secured.

For me, I don't like the fact that this case adds so much weight and heft to my iPad. But if that's not that important to you, then know that my experience with this case is that the bluetooth works great, the keyboard is a full-keyboard and quiet to boot, and your iPad will feel very secure while carrying your iPad in it.

Belkin Apple MFi Certified Car Charger with 4-Foot Lightning  to USB Cable for iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c, iPad (4th Gen) and iPad mini (2.1 AMP / 10 Watt)
Belkin Apple MFi Certified Car Charger with 4-Foot Lightning to USB Cable for iPhone 5 / 5S / 5c, iPad (4th Gen) and iPad mini (2.1 AMP / 10 Watt)
Price: $22.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid product - I am using it for the iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2, November 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a great car charger. I prefer these Belkin chargers more than I do the Apple ones for a couple of reasons. First of all I like the fact that they are distinctive in color (this one is the black with the lime green trim) and I can easily separate them from my other chargers.

The other reason I prefer them over Apple is because I have found the cords themselves to be more sturdy and pliable than the Apple cords, which in my experience often fray over a period of time. (Especially if you are bending them to fit the outlet behind a kitchen appliance, like the toaster on my kitchen counter.)

I have this Belkin car charger as well as the wall charger. The wall charger is great because it's more flush against the wall. (Again better if you're bending cords to charge up your devices.) This particular car charger is also very small and compact which makes it more convenient to store in your car glovebox (or wherever you put it) and looks nice while your device is charging.

At 2.1 amp and 10 watt I find that it charges my iPhone plus and my iPad Air 2 very fast. Recommended, especially at this reduced price of $13.53.

Kensington Wired iPad Keyboard with Lightning Connector (K72447WW)
Kensington Wired iPad Keyboard with Lightning Connector (K72447WW)
Price: $52.71
2 used & new from $51.30

4.0 out of 5 stars A quality keyboard, with pros and cons, November 23, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Pros:

I really like the fact that this is a full-size keyboard and I can type fast on this, as fast as I can by using my desktop computer.

There are also pluses to this keyboard by its not having a bluetooth connection and instead having to plug directly into your device. The advantage is that you don't get the loss in connection or the skipping or repeating of keys that often accompany bluetooth wireless keyboards. As far as it being wired, when you think about it, you rarely have your keyboard far apart from your iPad so having it tethered is not really a problem or inconvenience. Plus, you don't have to worry about charging up the keyboard, ever.

Cons:

Although I appreciate the fact that you don't have to charge this keyboard because it gets its power from the iPad, it also drains the iPad battery, albeit not a lot. Still, if you have to type a lot that's a consideration.

I mentioned earlier that the advantage of the full-size keyboard is that for me, it's easy to type fast. At the same time, its larger size makes it a little unwieldy to carry around. You're going to have to make sure that your iPad has a stand since there is no slot or place to put the iPad on the keyboard itself - and for me this makes it hard to type while sitting down with the iPad on my lap.

The other thing to note - and this probably isn't a big deal - is that the keyboard is pretty noisy. I was surprised how much clacking it made as I typed.

I have always enjoyed Kensington keyboards and I think they are all quality products, this being no exception. This keyboard feels sturdy and I love the fact you won't worry about losing your connection or having keys repeat. Saying that, your decision to buy this keyboard should more depend on whether or not the cons I mention above are a problem for you.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20