Profile for Erin Miller > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 12

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Erin Miller "Environmental Geologist" RSS Feed (Benton, AR United States)

Page: 1 | 2

Offered by JapanSuperMall
Price: $12.50
48 used & new from $11.27

5.0 out of 5 stars YAY! Tamagoyaki for the win!, September 17, 2014
This review is from: Tamago Pan #HM13 (Kitchen)
This is perfect for making tamagoyaki for two people. You have to be using it right though. So first: THIS IS NOT NONSTICK AND IT IS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE. Tamagoyaki is a grilled dish. its supposed to be browning on the bottom and nonstick just doesn't do it right. This pan is cast black steel and you treat it exactly like cast iron. Never put it in the dishwasher. Never put it away without completely drying it. Never use it without oil. There are lots of videos online but this one shows the process well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WAElNjtkmI and as a bonus, it looks like she is using this exact pan. I have had this pan for a couple months and i make tamagoyaki about twice a week in it. As long as you care for the pan properly, there should be no problems.

Pickle Maker Tsukemono Press Container Small #1945
Pickle Maker Tsukemono Press Container Small #1945
Offered by ON CLOUD 9
Price: $4.15
15 used & new from $3.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great!, September 17, 2014
This one doesn't leak, but its small. Good for two people side dishes.

Tsukemono Pickle Press 1.0L
Tsukemono Pickle Press 1.0L
Price: $19.19
5 used & new from $13.53

4.0 out of 5 stars but it makes great kimchee! It isn't huge but good for side ..., September 17, 2014
It leaks if you tilt it to much, but it makes great kimchee! It isn't huge but good for side dishes for 3-4 people each round.

Stainless Steel Vegetable Cutters
Stainless Steel Vegetable Cutters
Offered by JapanSuperMall
Price: $4.60
14 used & new from $4.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, September 17, 2014
They work great and make the cutest shapes for bento boxes.

SainSonic SS5380 Non-Contact IR Thermometer Gun With Laser Targeting, Measures in Celsius or Fahrenheit -32 to +380C/-26 to +716F
Offered by Sain Store
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough, but..., November 30, 2012
It looks exactly like the pictures, box and all. Mine came with the battery and I DO keep 9V in my house since they are my backup on my alarm clock and power my smoke detectors. I hate that chirping noise so I keep them on hand. It also came with a page of instructions for the SS5380 on one side and the DT8380 on the other. (more about that later)

So, the data that is important. Why it gets four stars. The statistics in description on amazon say the range is -32 to +380 C / -26 to +716 F. This doesn't jive with the included paper or the side of the tool both of which list the temperature range as -50C ~ 380C (-58F ~ 716F) Specifically, the low range is lower than listed by Amazon. Fine by me.

Also, the Amazon description contradicts itself on the distance to spot ratio which is listed as both 12:1 and 8:1. This is because the description is for model SainSonic DT8380 while the tool that I received is the SainSonic SS5380. Since the DT8380 is also for sale, it is a error of the product description. The picture of the box clearly shows that this is the SS5380 model. If you are looking for the 12:1 distance then you need to buy the DT8380. This is not it.

The accuracy of this little gadget is "+/-2% or 2C" (3.6 F) The distance to target diameter ratio of this thing is 8:1. This guy has a target range of about 100 cm (a little over 3 feet) which is perfect for my intended use of cooking and candy making.

Testing: I live at sea level and temperatures are in F

Boiling water- 212.7, 212.1, 213.4
Me- Ear 98.9, Leg 92.5 Fingertip 93.2 Cheek 99.0
Outside concrete 43.2 (Ambient air was 53 and it was mid morning , so I'll buy that)
Ambient temp of random things in my house was generally with in .5 degrees of 70
Notably,
Cable box 76.1
Computer tower 75.2

This IR thermometer? 400.2, 400.8, 399.7

In my freezer: -11.8, -11.3, -10.5

Conclusions: The trick of this tool is to get it aimed in the correct range. IR is a "spread" beam. So the farther away you are aiming for, the bigger your target must be. Once you have the knack for that down, this thing is pretty dang reliable. I like it and I am going to keep it.

HOWEVER, the reason I deducted a star is due to the fact that the DT8380 has a 12:1 targeting (which means more distance and a narrower beam so smaller possible targets) AND a much higher listed temperature range (-50~750C, -58~1382F) AND is currently cheaper! (only a buck, but hey...)

So, at the moment of writing this review, I cannot recommend buying this product. The DT8380 is (at the moment) a better buy.
But, prices change all the time and this model is totally acceptable otherwise. I am not about to go buy the DT8380 because it is a dramatically better product. This one seems great and that is plenty good enough for me.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2013 4:55 AM PST

BYKES Super Fast Ultra Compact Pocket Infrared Thermometer - 1 Second Response Time - (Upto 428f)

2.0 out of 5 stars Error range is too high & target distance ratio is too low., November 28, 2012
First of all this thing is small. It looks almost exactly like the pictures, brushed metal case and all. Very nice looking. The pictures don't really give a sense of scale. I thought it was going to be the size of a pen. It is really the size of a cigarette lighter. I have no quarrel with that, but you should know it's only 4 inches long. It comes with two spare batteries which are visible in picture #3 as well as batteries already installed. It is also heavy for its size. No plastic parts visible. It's metal. Probably aluminum. Mine is more silvery than dark like the top picture but that could be a difference in lighting. Really, who cares?

So, the data that is important. Why it only gets two stars. The statistics in description on amazon say the range is -27F to 428F. There are many more numbers on the operating instructions. The other numbers are more telling though. Specifically. the one called Accuracy. The Accuracy of this little gadget is "+/-2% of reading or 2C (4F) whichever is GREATER" (my caps for emphases) Also, the distance to target diameter ratio of this thing is 1:1. So you have to hold it as close as possible to your target.

That may not be deal breakers for most people, but I bought this thing for cooking and candy making. I bought a IR thermometer so I DIDN'T have to put my hands in the oven or the grill to check surface temperatures. With this thing's targeting distance I might as well use my probe thermometer since it is longer. The accuracy is the real problem though. Tempering chocolate has about a 2F target temperature range to get it right. With a error range of 4F, this IR thermometer can't get accurate enough.

I played with it a bit to test it and that error range really starts to show at higher temps. My freezer tested at .7F, 1.7F, and 2.3F. Not to bad. My body temperatures were also reasonable. My ear was 70.4F. My hands were between 83.2 and 90.0 from my fingertips to my palms. My torso right under my bra strap was 98.7. Very good. Boiling water (I live at sea level) tested at 178.3, 200.6, 188.0 even when uncomfortably close. Not good at all.
My oven, which has two thermometers beyond the regular one was at 400F +/- 1F among its team. This IR thermometer? 339.4, 362.5, 380.1 Again, while I am measuring really uncomfortably close. That error just keeps getting bigger.

Conclusion: It's a nice looking toy. I only paid 20$ for it, so it's not a tragic loss. I may return it or I'll give it as a Christmas gift to one of the guys in my family. They will never care, but for me it just doesn't cut it. I need more distance to target and better accuracy. I'll keep looking.

Mahjong Mouse Pad - Dragon Tiles - 9-1/2'' x 8''
Mahjong Mouse Pad - Dragon Tiles - 9-1/2'' x 8''

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good mouse pads., November 16, 2012
I bought both the flowers and the dragon patterns. The printing is very nice and the foam pad and the firmer printed top are well adhered to each other. I have had it for about three months now and it is a very nice mouse pad. The dragons were for my husbands PC.

Mahjong Mouse Pad - Flower Tiles - 9-1/2'' x 8''
Mahjong Mouse Pad - Flower Tiles - 9-1/2'' x 8''

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice mouse-pads., November 16, 2012