Profile for J. Bernardi > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J. Bernardi RSS Feed (USA)

Sprout Organic Baby Food, Baked Sweet Potatoes & White Beans, 3.5-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 12)

2.0 out of 5 stars Least favorite organic baby food, April 2, 2011
I purchased several packs of Sprout Organic baby food at a local store recently. I've used several different brands organic baby foods so far and the Sprout items have been my least favorite. The food is difficult to get out. If you're saving some of the package in the fridge for later you will have food in the zip seam and around the mouth of the package that will not be properly covered/stored (even if you try wiping it away).

In addition, several of the batches I bought had food on the inside stuck to the lining as if it had been baked too long within the package. Those parts were gummy and tinged a different color than the rest of the food in the package. I threw those out just to be on the safe side.

While it tasted fine to me and my non-picky baby ate it happily, I was terribly frustrated with the whole experience and felt like it was a big waste of money. If he ate the entire package I might have felt differently since I wouldn't have to store the messy pack, but the strange stuff stuck inside some of the packs I bought are a deal breaker for sure.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2012 11:22 AM PST

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Two Pack Bodysuit, 6-9 Months
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Two Pack Bodysuit, 6-9 Months

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute and well made!, January 6, 2011
My husband is the Bucs fan and he likes to dress our little guy appropriately for Sunday football! I bought these for our son (but, really, for my husband!) and they fit him very well. They are well made, wash well and are pretty darn cute on him. The Bucs didn't make it to the playoffs this year, but it's not because we didn't give all our support around here, right down to our onesies! Go ahead and purchase these for your little Buccy, they're dandy.

Pampers Baby Dry Diapers Economy Plus Pack, Size 3, 204 Count
Pampers Baby Dry Diapers Economy Plus Pack, Size 3, 204 Count
Offered by TradeDeal
Price: $63.26
6 used & new from $44.74

2.0 out of 5 stars After trying the big three in diapers, Pampers comes in last!, January 3, 2011
I've been using Amazon Mom for a while now and I love the service. I've also been trying out various types of diapers since my little guy was born. We brought home Pampers from the hospital and they seemed to be just fine. Since then, we've used Huggies, Kirkland (Costco) brand, and Luvs, too. And, honestly, I didn't have a problem with any of those three. I stopped buying the Costco brand when Amazon.com started beating their price with the Amazon Mom program.

I've had a huge box of Pampers sitting in my closet for almost a month and since we just ran out of the last shipment, I finally opened these up. I've been using them for a week and I am thoroughly disappointed in these diapers. They feel and look great, but my baby has leaked each time I've put him down in these. EACH TIME. Granted, he is a bigger guy and drinks 10-12 ounces a meal now, but come on. Even during a two hour nap he wakes up in wet clothing and yet another sheet change for me. And we simply didn't experience this with any other diaper we've tried. I can't explain it, but I'm so frustrated that we've had to change him twice as often and are burning through this box of diapers. Pampers are the most expensive diapers out there and they have just been nothing but a pain. We stopped attempting to use these at night and have been using Huggies Overnights with great success.

After this box is used up we're going back to Luvs or Huggies. I'm going to change my Subscription right now. :(

Munchkin Soft-Tip Infant Spoon, 6 Count
Munchkin Soft-Tip Infant Spoon, 6 Count
Offered by Preferred Mart
Price: $4.29
69 used & new from $0.05

5.0 out of 5 stars The best spoon for baby!, December 20, 2010
I've used the soft-tipped spoons from other makers, but they don't come close to the how great these have been for us. I bought a Munchkin dishwasher bin to wash various forms of baby detritus in and it happened to come with a free spoon. This was before I had the baby, but I managed to keep it around with my other spoons that I'd purchased/received for him. Once he was ready for solids, I started with the soft-tipped spoons and was not too excited about them. Even for his first feedings ever the other soft-tipped spoons just don't hold enough food - they are too small and too shallow. This spoon is deeper, longer and heavier which is apparently the trifecta of awesomeness in baby spoons.

I didn't have the trouble one of the other reviewers I read did; I was able to get the food into my baby's mouth simply by tilting the spoon up and using his mouth to remove the food for him (but, really, he was able to get the majority off by himself). It is a very gentle maneuver and the food slips right into his mouth easily. Also, when making passes on his face with the spoon to recover food that inevitably gets on his chubby cheeks and chin, the plastic is soft and scoops it off waaaaay better than the soft-tipped spoons.

I'm really loving Munchkin products. I will not knowingly buy anything for my son that contains BPA and each time I start researching a product with the tag BPA-free, Munchkin pops up at the top of the list. The soft-tipped spoons are old-fashioned and simply not a very good design. I'm glad to have received the free one or I might not of known this awesome spoon existed!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 10, 2011 9:37 PM PST

Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Soothe and Glow Seahorse, Blue
Fisher-Price Ocean Wonders Soothe and Glow Seahorse, Blue
Price: $10.39
72 used & new from $5.39

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute, soothing first toy for baby!, December 19, 2010
My son has had this since birth and once he started sleeping in the crib we used the music and light to soothe him. He's almost four months old now and knows the drill: in bed, kiss goodnight and then I press the belly of the seahorse and he relaxes off to dreamland.

*Batteries that came with it just died after 2 months of continuous use, I imagine better batteries will yield a longer life in the toy.

*The music is great! I think it is very pretty and like the bubbling water sounds that are in the background.

*I wish it had the option to play longer and possibly a medium setting to the volume.

*This isn't really for young infant snuggling; I can see my son doing more of that at 6+ months, but it is not plush/pillowy feeling toy due to the hard plastic mechanism inside.

*This was the first toy I ever bought my son (spur of the moment because of great sale price at a local store) and I'm so glad I did!

*A great baby shower gift as it is something that could be used from newborn age.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for pet stains and odor removal!, December 12, 2010
Our 10 year old dog (15 lbs) had a rough night recently and when we awoke in the morning we found a living room with 8-9 stains from vomit, poop and pee. I felt terrible for my poor old girl, but even worse for the clean-up my husband had to do (I was feeding the baby and therefore exempt from that particular duty!...haha...duty!) We only had a tiny bit of Nature's Miracle left in the bottle (which is what we usually use for the very, very occasional accidents our dog usually has throughout the year), so we decided to try Bac-Out. I'd purchased it with the intention of using it on cloth diapers, but hadn't used it yet. My husband cleaned up as much as he could, saturated the stains and let it sit for five minutes. He scrubbed the stains and blotted the area dry. No stains! The scent is citrus/lime and it faded after a few hours as well.

I was SO GLAD we had this on hand. We're also trying to move away from chemical cleaners now that we're parents and I'm pretty stoked that this works like a champ, although I'll be happy if we never wake up to that type of mess again!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Peace of mind!, October 27, 2010
My child won't sleep on his back. He tries, but startles just about every few minutes and therefore gets little rest. When he started rolling to his tummy I started to really worry about SIDS. I hadn't purchased a monitor yet because I wanted to get one with video/night video and they are around $200. However, when I found myself checking on my son every 5 minutes to make sure he was fine I realized that I needed to get something that would help me know he was alright - for his wellbeing and my sanity! I didn't even know what to call this type of monitor, but after some web searching came across these movement monitors and was pleasantly surprised that even this high-end model costs substantially less than the video monitor I had wanted!

We immediately purchased this through Amazon.com and had it delivered with overnight shipping (if I could avoid one more day of the checking on him every few minutes, I would!) and installed it quickly and easily! The default sensitivity setting worked perfectly and I set it up alone while my husband was at work. A note about setup: you'll need plywood or masonite board (1/4" thick is what the manufacturer recommends) if you have springs/coils under the crib mattress.

I have a fan that blows in his nursery to keep air moving as another SIDS precaution and it does not set off the monitor. I check it every day by letting the monitor alarm once I take him out of the crib. It senses that there is no movement, gives a warning beep at 15 seconds and then sounds the full alarm at 20 seconds which I quickly turn off. I've had no interference with the monitors (there are several channels to select from), although occasionally there will be a moment of "dead air" where the monitor makes no sound; like a hiccup in transmission. It lasts less than a second and is the only issue I've had to wonder about with this great product.

We live in an age of technology that allows us to care for our children more safely. While my son has no known issues that would make him more likely to succumb to SIDS, I have slept better and gotten more things done while he sleeps knowing that I will KNOW if he has an issue with breathing (movement) in his crib. If the technology wasn't there, hey, we'd all get by without it. But, I consider this an affordable necessity and the only monitor I'd ever need to purchase. The audio works great and I hear him when he rouses. Coupled with the fact that I'll know if he stops breathing...yeah, this is everything I need in a monitor.

Lansinoh Double Electric Breast Pump, BPA-free
Lansinoh Double Electric Breast Pump, BPA-free
Offered by Lullaby Baby
Price: $110.99
22 used & new from $100.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent replacement for rented hospital grade pump (EDITED: Meh.), October 21, 2010
I had the pleasure of pumping with a hospital grade pump (Medela Symphony) for the first two months of my baby's life. However, we're moving and I had to return it recently. I purchased this pump as a replacement based on the reviews and research I did. This pump is satisfactory as a replacement. It doesn't work as well as the $1200 pump I'd been using, but I wouldn't expect it to. It does, however, manage to get decently close to the amount I used to pump with the other. It is plastic-y and lightweight, which would be good for travel I assume, but I wish it was a little more substantial for home use. I fear that a single drop would render it broken.

However, if you're careful with it and follow all directions, you'll have a pump that I don't have any real complaints about, save one: it is noisy. Not just a little louder than the pump I'd been using, but an OMG I'M PUMPING! loud that is downright distracting. I've been covering it with a receiving blanket to dull the noise and that makes it tolerable.

Bottom line: It works and if you'd never used a nicer pump, you'd probably never know what you're missing! :)

EDIT on 1/5/11: I continued to use this product, but started to notice that I was getting less and less milk. I don't think it was me or something I was doing that was lessening my supply, I think the pump is essentially different from the hospital grade pumps and can't quite trick your body into true breastfeeding mode if that makes any sense. I bought a hand pump from Lansinoh and actually got more milk that way! I've reduced my stars from 4 to 3 and I'd even consider 2.5 to be more accurate. This pump, over time, turned out to be less of a success than I thought it would be. Especially considering that the hand pump did better, I'd have to say that the electric pump is, overall, just too chintzy to do an effective long-term job. I am no longer using this pump.