Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Kristy > Reviews

Browse

Kristy's Profile

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kristy RSS Feed (La Porte City, IA)

Page: 1 | 2
Jetset Deluxe
Jetset Deluxe
Price: $9.54
8 used & new from $4.72

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what country music should sound like!, June 30, 2005
This review is from: Jetset Deluxe (Audio CD)
I got an email from musician, Marc Corey Lee, asking me if I'd like to receive a copy of his latest CD, Jetset Deluxe. He's a regular reader at my blog, Vintage Rock, and based on the reviews I'd already written, he thought I might like to listen to his music. I've never been known to turn down anything free (that probably comes from being a broke college student) so of course I said, "send away." I'm a pretty open-minded girl and I've been known to let an assortment of different styles and genres of music creep into my vast CD collection and subconsious.

When I received his CD via mail and a smile crossed my face. I love mail of every shape, size, and kind, as long as its not junk mail...you know, those 12 CDs for a penny offers that I've had to force myself to turn down; there has to be a hitch in such a great offer, hidden somewhere in microscopic fine print. Upon opening up the envelope, my first immediate impression of the CD cover was, "damn, this guy looks kind of like Chris Isaak." Which isn't a bad thing at all since Wicked Game is my all time favorite music video, and not for the anoxeric model chick, I can assure you. As I flipped the case over, my doubts begin to emerge. With song titles like "Mister Heartache" and "South of San Antone," I silently groaned. This can't be a country CD, can it? Country music is the one genre of music I've been consistently dissapointed with my entie life. Its impossible to escape from it because I live the center of midwest hickville....La Porte City, Iowa.

When I was six, I think there were only two types of music I'd been exposed to: country music and classic rock. I could easily go from listening to Garth Brooks "Thunder Rolls" (originally sung by Tanya Tucker btw) to belting along with Robert Plant on "Heartbreaker." But as I got older it seemed as if all country music was being freakishly mutated into what I like to call "cowboy charictures." Girl country crooners turned into souless, comically bad Britney Spears impersonators with Texas twang and Gucci cowboy boots. The men of country music also fell pray to fashion and tried to bring "edge" to their look by wearing wife beaters and big black, ten gallon hats. It was no longer about musical integrity...it was about how many socks guys could shove in their skintight jeans, fashionally ripped in all the "right" places. While country musicians appearance changed drasticially, their music seemed to de-evolve and turn into a bland mix of power ballads and soft rock.

So of course, that's what brought me to the rock n' roll path and led me to create my blog in the first place. I was trying to find a way to get as far away from the country music genre as possible. I vowed to always flip past CMT and never listen to any country albums that weren't from the 50's or 60's (unless it was Garth Brooks or Mary Chapin Carpenter.) So it took a lot of personal coaxing to get myself to put the disc into my CD player...but I did because I try never to judge music I'm supposed to review until after I give the entire disc a listening to.

The second I heard Marc's vocals, I knew that this was a musician with some serious chops. His voice reminds me of Roy Orbision mixed with a bit of John Denver and Chris Isaak thrown in for good measure. He does have all the basic properties of country music including steel guitars, but it doesn't make me feel like line dancing...all i want to do is get out my flowery skirt and twirl around my living room as if I was a ballerina from Little House on the Prarie. Listening to his songs, "Just One Moment" and "Cowboys and Angels" I got this relaxed feeling I get when I listen to Roy Orbison's "Only the Lonely." Marc Corey Lee does not play grinding, grungey guitar rock. He also isn't an intense vocalist that wants to peel paint off the walls whenever he opens his mouth. Marc makes the kind of music you listen to when you're lazing around on a sunny day, drinking lemonade on your front porch and imagining what the puffy clould shapes remind you of.

He even packs some edge into his more upbeat numbers. "Ghosts In Paradise" even had a James Bondish type of feel to it, evoking old spy sitcoms like Get Smart. "The First Time" even has a bit of sarcism and nilhism in its tone. With lyrics like " You're the last thing I dream of and the first thing I leave far behind" you know he's speaking from experience and not writing sugar coated sappy love songs like the horrible country cover of All-4-One's "I Swear." He can be romantic though, when he wants to be and I'm sure he has no trouble charming the ladies from stage with his tune, "Please." I almost swoon when he sings (in his very beautiuful voice) "If this were another place and time I would give into you/ The promise of your kiss, your touch/ and making love to you.

I've listened to Jetset Deluxe a few times now, and I'm not sick of it all. It grows on you more each time you listen to it...kind of the way Elton John's Tumbleweed Connection effects me in subtly different ways each time I give it a spin on the hi-fi. Don't let the "country thing" steer you away Marc Corey Lee's music...He's got a great set of pipes, he writes his own music, knows how to play his six string and 12 string, and he reads Vintage Rock. Not too much to complain about, nothing at all comes to mind in fact. Thanks for sharing the music Marc!
[...]

Our Shadows Will Remain
Our Shadows Will Remain
50 used & new from $0.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Joseph gives me a "smile that explodes", April 4, 2005
This review is from: Our Shadows Will Remain (Audio CD)
Joseph Arthur's music slowly grows on you over time...permeating its way into your heart till you really start feeling what he feels in the songs he sings. He has this rare, expressive vocal quality that I find easy to relate to and fall in love with. My love affair with Joseph Arthur is simply with his music. There's no lust thing going on like my feelings for other certain rockstars. He uses acoustic guitars, electric acoustics, electric guitars, and sometimes even loops electronic samples and it all works so beautifully.

Our Shadows Will Remain is the only album I own of his thus far, but it will definatly will not be my last. The album kicks off with his gorgeous acapella number entitled "Ohio." It is only 43 seconds long, but in those 43 seconds you understand the underlying feeling that resonates throughout this album in the words "In Ohio, you were born...You will die alone." This album is all about confusion and loneliness....not being able to fully cope with this world's complexities and pitfalls but trying anyway through song to get some kind of grasp on life.

But don't get the idea that is album is all depressing ballads, like most of Elliott Smith's work. Hell, in the song "Stumble and Pain" you could swear that you were hearing a Nine Inch Nails side project! "Echo Park" beautifully uses strings and has a very uplifting, almost gospel chorus of the word "Freedom." The song that really gets me though is "A Smile that Explodes." Its a beautiful duet with the singer Julia Darling that really touches me with its beautiful music arrangement and lyrics such as:

"My room too small/To get by without the help out alcohol/Pin my arm to the wall/Now I'm too gone to fight Not afraid to fall/Cuz it ain't easier Waking up at dawn To find I lost my crown/If I found you there With flowers in your hair"

This man is a truly phenomenal musician and I really hope that guys will think about finding out more about Joseph's music. Sincerely.

Recommended Listens: Devils Broom, Echo Park, Can't Exist, Stumble and Pain, and A Smile That Explodes

Red Letter Days
Red Letter Days
Price: $4.78
170 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Jacob Dylan's more experimental side, September 8, 2004
This review is from: Red Letter Days (Audio CD)
I've had The Wallflowers Bringing Down the Horse for a few months now, so I couldn't resist when I saw Red Letter Days in the used CD store. I had heard some mixed things about Red Letter Days, but I thought I really can't call myself a Wallflowers fan if I don't give their other albums a chance. Like one of my friends was afraid to listen to OK Computer because she was afraid it wouldn't be as good as The Bends and it would turn her against Radiohead. Obviously that would be a dreadful mistake since OK Computer is just as good if not better than The Bends.

So the story is I bought it, took it home and started listening. I was kind of disappointed by the first track, "When You're On Top." It started off with this weird synth keyboard thing that sounded scarily techno. I know you don't want to be compared to your daddy Jacob Dylan, but don't go that direction please. Thankfully, the scary techno stopped as I got further into the song. Still not my favorite..(c'mon "I need some air nobody's been breathin'...those lyrics are child's play.)

Track two got them on my good side again. There's a darkness in "How Good It Can Get" that I didn't really hear throughout Bringing Down the Horse. I like moody, melodic music obviouly judging by the bands I listen to religiously (Radiohead, Jeff Buckley,Ours, Tori Amos...etc..) There is still a tinge of hope in lyrics like "We'll make a lover of you yet." Yet the music set to the song is hardly the light hearted, upbeat fare found on their 1996 album that I already enjoy.

"Closer To You" is probably my new favorite Wallflowers tune. Its soo pretty when Jacob uses his upper range with a delicate piano background. Its not like the vocal acrobatics of Jimmy Gnecco, but honestly as much as I love that man's voice, I don't think I'd want him screaming at me outside my window or anything. Jacob's voice is so sweet and heartfelt in this song, I'd definatly make out with him if he was under my window (I'd climb out the window first of course because blow kisses just don't cut it.)

Then bam...comes "Everbody Out of the Water" like a lightning bolt out of a gentle rain storm. I heard Michael McCreedy from Pearl Jam was in a on a few of the tracks for this album. I'm guessing this is one of them because this song almost doesn't sound like the Wallflowers since its so far off their usual music path. Not that this is a bad thing; I like bands that aren't afraid to experiment with their sound..that means they still have what it takes as musicians to keep it fresh. I don't want Bringing Down the Horse rehashed 20 more times even though I enjoy it.

There's some nice harmonies happening on "Three Ways." One of the more laidback tunes on this album and I enjoy the simplicity of the lyrics. Then there are couple duds. Maybe they will grow on me eventually, but "If You Never Got Sick" is really dull. I wasn't drawn in by the music or the lyrics. We're not even going to get into the cheesy backup singers on "Health and Happiness"..what could have been a decent song was very over produced and therefore lost its intensity and focus.

Onto better things...I'm always relieved to skip over those two tracks and listen to "Feels Like Summer" and "Everything I Need"...songs with catchy, dark melodies that are okay to get stuck in your head. I really like the levels and layers of guitars and bass on these two tracks...keep experimenting with this Jacob. Your acoustic stuff is great, but the guitars on this song and throughout most of the album are excellent.

"Here In Plesantville" goes back to the acoustic stylings of Bringing Down the Horse. It is a nice song, it just doesn't seem to fit very well with the rest of the album's more electric, experimental theme. I do enjoy the string section on this one though. I'll learn to deal with it not fitting with the other songs.

The album closes with a song entitled "Hidden Track"...I saw it was also called "Empire In My Mind" on different sites. It's one of my favorites (behind "Closer to You") on this album. A perfect closing song...I just love everything about it: the lyrics "I cannot deny there's a darkness deep inside"; the music (rhythmically driven, acoustic and electric guitars mixed to brilliant effect), and the heart-wrenching vocals from Jacob Dylan.

Final Say: I think, with time I'll like Red Letter Days even better than Bringing Down the Horse...although I really can't compare the two since they are so very different. Buy it if you have the cash and if you already have it, you'll understand the points I made in my review hopefully. I'm really glad I have this in my collection now...now comes the wait for The Wallflowers next album. Can't wait to hear what Jacob does on that one!

The Jack Bull
The Jack Bull
DVD ~ John Goodman
Price: $5.78
42 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars holds on and never lets go, October 26, 2003
This review is from: The Jack Bull (DVD)
Originally produced and released by HBO for TV release, this movie could have easily been theatrically released from the quality filmaking found in this movie. But if it was released in theatres, it would have had to compromise its integrity to please a larger fan base. Dick Cusack wrote and produced this movie (Dick is John's father) so we can see where his son gets his incrediable taste and acting talent from. Directed by John Badham (Saturday Night Fever, War Games), this is easily his best directing job in decades.
What does the title "Jack Bull" mean and what kind of movie would have such a strange handle? "Jack Bull" is the title of a Jack Bull terrier, famous for never letting go once it decides to fight. That describes Myrl Redding (John Cusack) perfectly. A hard headed horse breeder that just wants a quiet life amongst the range, or what's left off it with his son and wife. The tyranny of Henry Ballad (L.Q. Jones) stands in his way however. Henry likes to reign his power and influence over people, but he can't control Meryl Redding. Meryl makes it known that he can't be influenced by any man under God. Henry cheats and double crosses Meryl at ever turn, but goes to far when he unfairly claims Meryl's prize stallion as a road tax and shows them cruel and unsual treatment and harms Meryl's Indian friend (Rodney A. Grant) for trying to protect the animals. This starts a crusade for uncompromising justice that Meryl will sacrifice anything for, even his own life if necessary. He sells his stead to raise a vigilante that will stop at nothing until Henry Ballad grooms and repairs Redding's horses to their original condition. As expected this creates a showdown, two strong willed men, one with the law in his pocket, the other with a will of steel. Will Meryl's crusade for justice cost him all he cherishes, or does sticking up for what you believe in worth giving up your life for?
This movie covers many issues seldom covered in most Western movies. It delves into the physche of strong men...men who don't bend for the laws of men but respond to the call of a higher order. The acting in this movie is superb (except for the charicture performance of a judge given by John Goodman) and never have I seen John's acting in finer form. What I love most about this movie as a viewer is that the writers don't make Meryl out to be some shining, stirring hero. He's just a regular guy who's been pushed to far and will not compromise his honor. I admire this character, especially since it's based on a real life occurance. I can't say this movie has a happy ending because then my opinion on this movie would be that it was decent, but not amazing. Life doesn't always have happy endings, but those who live their life to the highest ideals and aren't afraid of what it costs them are the stuff true heros are made of. Bravo to "Jack Bull" which I gladly give a 5 out of 5 as a lover of true movie craftsmenship.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2009 11:01 AM PDT

High Fidelity
High Fidelity
Price: $5.99
278 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars John Cusack, charming and at his best, October 26, 2003
This review is from: High Fidelity (DVD)
Great music, Jack Black, and John in Cosby sweaters...*sigh* what more can you ask from a movie. Well, High Fidelity delivers this and much more. Orginally, the story was set in London, England, but John read the book and thought it could just as easily be set in is his hometown of Chicago. Nicholas Horby was fine with the idea, and voila! We have a personalized Cusack creation with him reincarnationing His Lloyd Dobler vulnerability and his deameanor from the first half of The Sure Thing before he realized true love is better than cheap sex in his character Rob Gordon.
In the beginning of the film, we see Rob's girlfriend Laura walking out on him after an awful breakup...Rob starts blaring the 13th Floor Elevators to get her off his mind, but he realizes pop music can't solve his problems. His problems stem from something deeper.
Rob owns his own failing record store Championship Vinyl and hangs out with his two loyal employees Dick (Liouso) and Barry (Jack Black). This is truly Jack Black's breakout performance...his enegry and comic timing are electric and he gives John a run for his money in this movie..but all the the record store employees have a great film chemistry and they all balance each other out so it works well.
Well, anyway, back to John Cusack's character Rob....He spends his days collecting records and selling them to worthy customers while Barry's antics and Dick's senstive demeanor keep him going. Gordon can't seem to figure out what went wrong in his personal life, no matter how screwed up his professional life is, his personal life is the biggest mess. So he goes back to his past, meets up with his ex-girlfriends and tries to find out what he did wrong in his relationships to figure out what to do about Laura whom he still loves.
Will Laura stay with the patchuoli sniffing, new age dweeb called Ian, or will she come back to Rob after about 50 scenes with Cusack drenched in rain? Who knows. Watch the movie, buy the soundtrack (buy Tenacious D too by the way, Jack Black is hilarious), and spin some of your favorite vinyl records in honor of this amazing film.

Grosse Pointe Blank
Grosse Pointe Blank
Price: $5.99
181 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Hit-man Satire EVER!, September 11, 2003
This review is from: Grosse Pointe Blank (DVD)
If I'm correct, after this movie came out, all the big Cusack fan sites started. Coincidence? I think no compadre. I know I definatly fell head over heels for John Cusack after this movie, not only because of his performance, but because he also wrote the movie, produced it, and supervised the soundtrack (which also kicks some serious boo-tay, featuring some great 80s hits such as: "Blister In the Sun"-by The Violent Femmes, and "Rudie Can't Fail" by The Clash. A little trivia for you...When John Cusack and his buddies at New Crime Productions were writing the script to this movie, they kept The Clash in mind throughout and had Joe Strummer write the score for the movie.)
I was a little dispointed in the DVD version of this movie because of the lack of extras. I was hoping for some commentary or deleted scenes, but alas, all you are left with is the trailer and some "suggested titles," which bore everyone to death. Still, it is wide-screen and the movie is amazing by itself so the rating will not be lowered.
I'm sure everyone viewing this review has seen the movie, but I'll outline the plot for the unblessed among you.
Plot: Martin Q. Blank doesn't know what to do with his life. He has the money, car, but his life feels empty. His therapist reminds him that the angst over killing a lot of people might have something to do with this (He's a lonegunman, professional killer, hitman, however you'd like to describe that profession.) He and his assistant (a brilliant Joan Cusack...what great genes that family has) tell Martin to go back to his high school reunion on the way to do a hit to reunite with his old girlfriend...the one he ditched on prom night and has not stopped dreaming about since. Chaos insues when after not joining a hitman's union fronted by Grocer (a phycotic hitman with frayed nerves), plans to kill Martin by siccing Feds on him after he performs his hit. In the process of reuniting with Debbi, (Minnie Driver, love that woman, she is funny and great in this movie) he realizes that there is so much more to life that he overlooked. It so cute when he holds that baby at the reunion...he realizes the value of human life when he looks into the baby's eyes...a very touching moment.
Does Martin deserve a second shot? (Bad pun, I know) Will he redeem himself? What will Debbi do when she finds out what he really does for a living? Will Martin ever live down his shame at being know as "poodle puncher?" Watch the movie one time to find out, and twenty more times for fun and the joy of seeing John kick some butt (he does all his own kick-boxing stunts that he learned in Say Anything...his kick-boxing instructor also plays the "thug" that is trying to kill him) and wear all black suits. Great plot, witty dialogue, wonderful cast, plus John's friend George Piven's in it. Amazing John movie, definatly in my top five list.

Say Anything
Say Anything
108 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The ULTIMATE John Cusack movie, September 10, 2003
This review is from: Say Anything (DVD)
Lloyd Dobler (John Cusack) wants to get hurt...at least that's what he declares to his girlfriends (friends that are girls, you know). He met this really smart, brainy girl at the mall and he wants to ask her out. Everyone tells him it won't work between him and her since they are so different: she is beautiful, genius matierial, and rich...he is awkward with the ladies, doesn't like school, and poor. Yet, he asks her out anyway. The surprising (or not so suprising thing since its Johnny) is that she agrees to go to a party with him. That's when the magic starts. After he pushes the glass out of the way for her at the 711, her heart is gone. The only problem between the match is her mentally deranged, over protective father who treats her more like his possesion than his daughter. He doesn't want a boy, especially Lloyd influencing his daughter. He thinks Lloyd will bring her down, keep her from being "all she can be." Poor Diane Court must choose between satisfying and helping her father who's in trouble with IRS or being Lloyd's girlfriend.
There are many twists in this story, and the more you get to know all the characters the more they change for better or for worse in your eyes. The cast is incredible in this film...
Jim Court is played by John Mahoney (the dad off of Fraiser) and he does an excellent job of slowing breaking down throughout the film...a very calculated performance.
Joan Cusack plays John's sister (big stretch, I know;) and is amazing as always. She's funny, supportive and their onscreen chemistry is always a delight in all the movies they are in together...the first of their eight films together.
Lili Taylor (John's friend for a longtime in real life) plays Lloyd's good friend Corey Flood, a musician who plays angry songs about her ex, Joe and is the eptitome of a cool chick. The only thing I couldn't understand about this movie was why Lloyd didn't hook up with Corey...she's way cooler than Diane Court, and she was already his friend for a long time.
Oh well...Ione Skye did well as Diane Court, pretty without being distractingly pretty (I think she kind of looks like me, but I could be wrong) She makes you care about her and the main thing is her performance remains real, not a soap opera dramatic performance as seen in so many teen movies of today.
And John Cusack as Lloyd Dobler...what can I say. His optimistic outlook on the character was the spirit of the film. The brave thing about Lloyd is not that he's optimistic...its that he chooses to be so conciously since his life is anything but perfect. A perfect example of this attitude is seen in this quote from the movie:
Lloyd: Why can't you be in a good mood? How hard is it to decide to be in a good mood and be in a good mood once in a while?"
Plus, could the boombox scene when he tries to win back Diane be any more romantic or touching? *sigh* I still get butterflies everytime I hear "In Your Eyes" by Peter Gabriel. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check the movie out already!
The absolute best John Cusack movie ever...period. The first time I viewed this movie, I ran a gaunlet of emotions....laughter, crying, and sighing were the norm throughout the viewing of this film. If you haven't seen this film yet, don't rent it...buy it on DVD. Trust me, its worth it. John and his leading lady Ione Skye and Cameron Crowe, the director (You know, the director of Almost Famous and Jerry Maguire?) all give excellent commentary that is almost as entertaining as the film. And you all have to admit, you wish your boyfriends could be like Lloyd Dobler, come on....he is THE perfect boyfriend and no real men stand a chance against his charm and senstivity.

Almost Famous
Almost Famous
Offered by MEGA Media
Price: $10.25
203 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Obsure 70's Pop Culture, February 4, 2003
This review is from: Almost Famous (Audio CD)
This soundtrack couldn't be more aptly titled. All of the tracks on this album are obscure finds lost somewhere between the cracks in 70's pop culture. Cameron Crowe, the director of Jerry McGuire and Almost Famous is known for his compliation of great songs to accompany his movies, songs that will make great moments in a movie stay in your mind and heart.
He produced this album along with fellow collaberator, Danny Bramson. Highlights of this album are many so read on... "America" by Simon and Garfunkel is trully poetic. Who else but good old Paul Simon could come up with lyrics like "I've gone to look for America", "She said the man in the Galberdine suit was a spy, I said be careful his bowtie is really a camera."
I found a Beach Boys song that actually sounds credible as a great rock ballad. It's not cheesy and it fits the mood of the movie. The synths used on this remind me of how impressive the effects on "Good Vibrations" sounded and gives me the need to dust off my dad's old Beach Boy's LP and rock out. This track is entitled "Feel Flows" and I'm greatly impressed by the Beach Boys here. They show growth and maturity as artists by getting away from their formula of being just cheesy surfers who like cars and girls named Rhonda.This song actually has substance...Wow, buy the album just to check out this song.
A young Rod Stewart is shown here on the track entitled "Every Picture Tells a Story." Rod's scratchy vocals are oddly pleasing to the ears and the hook "Every picture tells a story don't it" gets stuck in your head.
"Mr. Farmer" by The Seeds makes farming actually sound like a plesurable expierience. My favorite part in this song is where the lead singer goes " Mr. Farmer let me water your cropssss (sounds like an imiatation of a hose, very effective) farmer I wanna be just like you." It may seem weird, but it's quirky in all the right ways.
"One Way Out" by the Allman Brothers is great (It's the Allman Brothers, need I say more?) Truly blues/rock at it's best.
Skynyrd's "Simple Man" is as always poignant and beautiful and is especially effective in the movie when played during Russel Hammond's plea to William to just "make them sound cool."
Led Zeppelin's track "That's the Way"creates vivid feelings with lyrics like "And yesterday I saw you kissing tiny flowers, but all that lives is born to die. Led may be known for being the founders of heavy metal, but their senstive ballads have always been my favorite. Their lyrics just seem so true and genuine here.
"Tiny Dancer" by the great pianist Elton John is the highlight of the soundtrack. I love when Stillwater's band and bandaids sing-a-long to this song on the bus, it just so aptly fits the life story of Penny Lane.
Everytime you hear "The Wind" by Cat Stevens, you envision Kate Hudson dancing ballet on napkins after the concert
Check it out...Cameron Crowe shows the passion he has for rock still hasn't died and lives on in this great soundtrack and his touching autobiographal account in the movie.

Anthology
Anthology
Price: $9.99
45 used & new from $3.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Steve Miller Band Anthology, a must for blues/rock fans, April 20, 2002
This review is from: Anthology (Audio CD)
STEVE MILLER BAND ANTHOLOGY REVIEW: BY Kristy
Steve Miller has played many different styles of music throughout his long career which is still continuing today. He's most known for his instant gratification songs such as: The Joker, Fly Like An Eagle, Jungle Love, Take the Money an Run, Abracadabra, and Jet Airliner. But I'd like to write a bit about his earlier style which was much closer to BBKing than The Who.
He has an honest sounding, baritone voice, not specatacular, but it does the job he's trying to do...make good music that doesn't have be shout/sung. It is especially effective when he does blues ballads, like many of the standard classics on this album, which when orginally realeased was a two LP set of their best songs from the late 60's to the early 70's which is when he still worked with now famous Boz Scaggs, which helped add a different feel to this album than his later work.
I don't have time or space to write about every single song on these albums, but I'll definately cover the highlights...although all of the songs are great in their own way.
'I Love You' is the romantic opener, subtle yet beautiful...simplistic, but I wish more rock would be like that...I think today's bands should follow Miller's example. Nice harmonica work
'Baby's House' has to be one of my favorites on this album.. you know me and my piano fetish, well this is a gentle mournful song that has this great piano solo in the middle...a little long...but like a great movie, you always wish it could last a little longer...the lyrics are bittersweet...
...
I don't care what I've heard other critics say. Steve Miller was inovative and didn't just copy other styles...that's why I wrote my own review because all of the cynics just smugly diss him, saying he was nothing but a cheap thrill in long technical terms. I strongly ugre this album to be in your music collection..second suggetion if you're new to Miller and want his greatest hits, buy The Steve MIller Band's Greatest Hits 1972-1978.

America (The Way I See It), Vol. 18
America (The Way I See It), Vol. 18
Offered by CAC Media
Price: $9.68
48 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Hank tells it like it is!, March 17, 2002
I am a lover of many types of music, but many people would be suprised to know this is one of my favorite albums. I like how genuine and charming Hank Williams Jr. can be. I think the media and entertainment business could take a lesson from him. Instead of trying to popularize his songs, he raises controversial subjects that might offend people, but he really does not care. I may not always agree with everything he says like on his song "I've Got Rights," because he talks about using murder to avenge his deceased wife and son. He really strikes a chord in "Mr. Lincoln" laying bare the corruptness of todays government and how he wishes we could go back to the good old days when America still beleived in its slogan "In God We Trust." The track that means most to me personally would have to be "Country Boy Can Survive." It has a bluegrass feel...it talks about how even if things get bleak and dangerous in todays world, the simple who live off the land will survive and I agree with this statement. He may be most popularly known for his football party song "All My Rowdy Friends Are Comin Over For Monday Night Football," but I like his geniune bluegrass/rock songs best. This album is a keeper. It may be a little dated (The song "Don't Give Us a Reason" was about Desert Storm") it still relates to things going on in America today. This is the way Hank sees America, check it out to see if you agree.

Page: 1 | 2