Profile for Cecilia Marcano > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 31

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cecilia Marcano RSS Feed (Caracas, MI Venezuela)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Linksys Powerline AV 1-Port and 4-Port Network Adapter Set (PLSK400)
Linksys Powerline AV 1-Port and 4-Port Network Adapter Set (PLSK400)
Price: $59.99
39 used & new from $49.98

3.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and better the WiFi, but not fast enough, December 18, 2013
First I bought another product, the ZyXEL Powerline AV 500 Mbps 4 Port Gigabit Switch Kit to solve HD video streaming issues over WiFi. After a very easy installation I was able to finally stream HD over LAN and over the Internet without any issues, I was also able to get my full Internet speed (30 Mbits/sec) in the remote room where I installed the 4 port unit, which was excellent.
Sadly the devices did stop working after a couple of hours. Unplugging and plugging again the unit solved the problem, but every time I stopped using the networked devices I think the unit put itself of sleep mode (they call it green friendly) and they no longer work until I unplug and plug again. They worked so fast that I give them several opportunities, but in the I had to return the units since they were causing too much trouble.

I tried then this product, the Linksys Powerline AV 4-Port Network Adapter Kit, which was rock solid and never hanged, but the speed was very slow I was unable to stream HD videos properly inside the LAN. Also the Internet speed went down to only 16 Mbps and file transfers between computers at home reported a similar speed of 2 MBytes/sec (2x8=16 Mbits/sec). These are advertised as 200 Mpbs. I had to return once more since I already had WiFi at similar speed, I needed the extra juice.

Finally I tried the ACTIONTEC 500 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter and 4-Port Hub Kit which worked without any issues and pretty fast, maybe not as fast as the ZyXEL but at least they worked without hanging or requiring a reboot. So this kit was the one I kept. I was able to get 28 Mpbs from the Internet and similar speed for LAN file transfers (4 MBytes/sec = 32 Mbits/sec). At least enough for LAN HD streaming, and more than enough for Internet HD Streaming from Netflix and Amazon.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2013 3:05 AM PST

ACTIONTEC 500 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter and 4-Port Hub Kit (PWR514K01)
ACTIONTEC 500 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter and 4-Port Hub Kit (PWR514K01)
Offered by ACTIONPRO
Price: Click here to see our price
49 used & new from $58.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast enough for HD streaming, December 18, 2013
First I bought other product, the ZyXEL Powerline AV 500 Mbps 4 Port Gigabit Switch Kit to solve HD video streaming issues over WiFi. After a very easy installation I was able to finally stream HD over LAN and over the Internet without any issues, I was also able to get my full Internet speed (30 Mbits/sec) in the remote room where I installed the 4 port unit, which was excellent.

I tried then the Linksys Powerline AV 4-Port Network Adapter Kit, which was rock solid and never hanged, but the speed was very slow I was unable to stream HD videos properly inside the LAN. Also the Internet speed went down to only 16 Mbps and file transfers between computers at home reported a similar speed of 2 MBytes/sec (2x8=16 Mbits/sec). These are advertised as 200 Mpbs. I had to return once more since I already had WiFi at similar speed, I needed the extra juice.

Finally I tried this product, ACTIONTEC 500 Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter and 4-Port Hub Kit which worked without any issues and pretty fast, maybe not as fast as the ZyXEL but at least they worked without hanging or requiring a reboot. So this kit was the one I kept. I was able to get 28 Mpbs from the Internet and similar speed for LAN file transfers (4 MBytes/sec = 32 Mbits/sec). At least enough for LAN HD streaming, and more than enough for Internet HD Streaming from Netflix and Amazon.

ZyXEL Powerline AV 500 Mbps 4 Port Gigabit Switch Wall-plug Adapter (PLA4225)
ZyXEL Powerline AV 500 Mbps 4 Port Gigabit Switch Wall-plug Adapter (PLA4225)
Offered by kccomputer
Price: Click here to see our price
21 used & new from $66.79

3.0 out of 5 stars They are fast but keep the box, December 18, 2013
I bought the ZyXEL Powerline AV 500 Mbps 4 Port Gigabit Switch Kit to solve HD video streaming issues over WiFi. After a very easy installation I was able to finally stream HD over LAN and over the Internet without any issues, I was also able to get my full Internet speed (30 Mbits/sec) in the remote room where I installed the 4 port unit, which was excellent.

Beginning 3D Game Development with Unity 4: All-in-one, multi-platform game development (Technology in Action)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book for a Great Game Building Tool, November 29, 2013
I recommend buying this book for 3 reasons. First because how it is written. Second because the content and scope of the book. Third because of Unity 3D.

1) The book is really well written, it invites you to explore Unity and get familiar with the Interface and concepts, which is the only way you will really learn. The book does not read as programming book, it reads more like a book for learning an application, like reading a content creation software book. As other reviewer said, the author assumes nothing about previous knowledge or experience of the reader, so there is a lot of information and explanations to help you get the tasks done. At times this detail may seem too much for a seasoned developer, but for a beginner its perfect,
2) The book is targeted to beginners audience, and does a great job on that regard. You will learn by creating a Point and Click 3D Adventure, which may be not be your favorite genre, but it does not matter, this will serve very well the purpose of teaching.
3) Unity 3D is simply great, I kind of regret not learning it sooner. I have followed Unity from its creation, but back then I choose to learn XNA and develop for the PC and XBOX 360 Indie Games. But then the iOS games and Facebook games took over the game world. Suddenly it made no sense to learn platform specific languages or technologies. I tried to learn Unreal with the UDK, but found it kind of complex. My advice to anyone learning how to create video games is to learn Unity, because at the present moment the ability to deploy to iOS, Android, Mac OS, Linux, Wii U, and all the Microsoft's OS including Windows Phone; is simply mandatory if you really want any chance of success.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2014 11:25 AM PST

Rayman Legends [Download]
Rayman Legends [Download]
Price: $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Fun for Local-Op, October 27, 2013
No doubt this game is amazingly fun for single player or online experience. I want to focus my review on the Co-Op part of the game. I am a father of two boys, ages 6 and 7. We all three play this game together on local cooperative mode (Local Co-Op) and it's so fun that I recommend it to any father-son, brother-brother or even small party up to four people. The fact that if you die your friend needs to resurrect you creates a Co-Op angle that works great, since it allows for different levels of expertise to coexist and interact without frustration, everyone can try their best and everyone will have fun, even the ones that don't play so well will have, and even those that are so good that in other games get bored of waiting for the partner to complete, don't have to restrain at all in this game.
Sometimes the game seems very hard, at leas to me and my kids, but it's so well designed that you can skip the frustration and just go to another level, the storyline is very open and it allows for a great replay value, frustration free and Co-Op fun.

I short, this game is even better the Rayman Origins, it's amazingly fun, a masterpiece of fun gameplay...I dare say, best platformer series of this decade. I have Mario for Wii-U, and its hard and frustrating, and less fun.

Dungeons and Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Dungeons and Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Offered by SPORTS CARDS ETC
Price: $53.94
55 used & new from $39.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for Parent and Young Children Cooperative Play, February 27, 2013
I will list the reasons I recommend buying this game, but before the list I wanted to tell that I have had a great time with my two boys, 5 and 6 years old respectively. We have played every day since we bought it, and they keep asking for more. The game does not require a Dungeon Master, we all 3 play as Heroes, but since they are so young I still have a Dungeon Master role during the gameplay, just to keep thing fair and challenging, and not frustrating.

It's easier than standard Role Playing books:

1) You can read all rules in one hour, for sure you will need to read again some parts, but you will understand the whole game completely after just the first adventure.
2) There is only one dice, a 20 sided one.
3) Magic and Spells is supported by cards, which make them very easy to use and you will know when you cannot use the spell anymore.
4) All monsters and villains have a card, so its easy to access AC (Armour Class), HP (Hit Points) and Attacks (Hit chance modifier and damage)
5) Using tiles and 3D figures make it easier to follow the action, take turns and know the distance required for each ability.
6) A lot of provided tokens help on counting damage, tracking time, and even temporary effects of spells.

It's faster to setup and finish

1) You are not longer required to spend 4 hours creating the characters and 12 weekends to complete an adventure with your nerdy friends, you can setup an adventure in 5 minutes and have fun right away. You can finish it in around one hour, so the reward comes quicker.
2) I find the provided Adventure Book very simple yet very original and fun. I will tech you creatives ways to take advantage of the board game, so you can create your own adventures lates.
3) The Random dungeon creation is great, saves time, and no longer requires a Dungeon Master. So everybody can play as Hero, there is no more Nerdy Dungeon Master.

Leaves Room for Imagination

1) Even though rules are very basic, I find it to be very open to real role play, improvisation and storytelling.
2) My younger child, which is only 5 years old, wanted to play as a Werewolf instead of using one the Heros that came. I found that this was 100% possible, I just gave him the Werewolf card and the Werewolf 3D figure and he was super happy.
3) My older kid, 6 years old, wanted to have a wolf pet, and to share Hit Points between his Wizard and his pet, just as a "Familiar" on the classic D&D. I said, why not? As long as it's fun you can incorporate any Advanced D&D rule in this game.

LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - PC
LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes - PC
Offered by TnsDeals
Price: $12.99
19 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars PC version requires higher specs than previous lego games, June 22, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I think this is the best lego game yet because:

*) Gameplay has improved, it really feels that it is a new engine. This is not a remake of previos lego games, it is similar but feel better.
*) Original story with voice acting. My PC version has English, Spanish and more spoken laguages. It is more appealing to know what will happens next than with already known stories like Harry Potter. I think Harry Potter makes no sense storywise.
*) Characters and Suits are so different between them that better co-operation is achievable, as compared with other franchises were characters are too similar.
*) Open World is great. My kids enjoy a lot fooling around in Pirates of the Caribbean and Clone Wars, so I know this will be a great feature here.

Only two bad things:

*) This game demands more machine specs than previuos lego games. I have an old Alienware m15 with NVIDIA 8800M GTX were we have played all previos lego games, even the newest like Clone Wars, Pirates and Harry Potter. But this game runs kind of sluggish there, playable but with some lags. Myabe I need more RAM, but we ended up playing on our newest custom built computer with an ATI Radeon HD 6900 which of course its more than enough. You don't need latest graphics adapter, but will not run on an old machine.
*) I usually buy downloaded games, I don't like to have the DVD around.

My conclusion is that this is the best lego game that I have played in many many years, great for co-op between brothers, friends or even dad and kid. Go for it, but if your PC is kind of old, just go with the console Versions and avoid frusration.

Kinect Star Wars - Xbox 360
Kinect Star Wars - Xbox 360
Offered by BA Sports
Price: $15.36
95 used & new from $6.93

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for any kid, April 22, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Length:: 1:55 Mins

I highly recommend this game for any kid, content is appropriate, and gameplay is fun, really really fun. See it for yourself. I am impressed at how much my kids get benefit from this game, specially in motor skills, coordination, balance, discipline, self control.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 19, 2014 11:31 AM PST

Star Wars Anakin Skywalker Podracer Vehicle
Star Wars Anakin Skywalker Podracer Vehicle
Offered by ONLYWHOLESALE
Price: $19.99
34 used & new from $14.44

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning, no figure included., February 20, 2012
I bought this pod racer at Disney's Hollywood studios and was pleased with the ship quality; it comes with stickers and plastic parts to assemble it. Assemble was easy. It becomes really big after you finish building it. I did not like the fact that no figure is included with the ship, as the 1998 edition did. Price tag on Amazon is much better than what I paid for, so go for it, but remember to add a Anakin Boy figure to your order.

Star Wars Sebulba Podracer Vehicle
Star Wars Sebulba Podracer Vehicle
Offered by ONLYWHOLESALE
Price: $14.99
45 used & new from $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning, no figure included., February 20, 2012
I bought this pod racer at Disney's Hollywood studios and was pleased with the ship quality; it comes with stickers and plastic parts to assemble it. Assemble was easy. It becomes really big after you finish building it. I did not like the fact that no figure is included with the ship, as the 1998 edition did. Price tag on Amazon is much better than what I paid for, so go for it, but remember to add a Sebulba figure to your order.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4