Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for B. J. Blackdeer-Mackenzie > Reviews

Browse

B. J. Blackdeer-...'s Profile

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

B. J. Blackdeer-Mackenzie "educator and tribal executive" RSS Feed (west central Wisconsin USA)

Behemoth (The Leviathan Trilogy)
Behemoth (The Leviathan Trilogy)
by Scott Westerfeld
Price: $8.76
118 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable read, January 2, 2012
I purchased the trilogy for my daughter, however.... I am a reader who has a tough time getting interested in a lot of books, so young adult books are appealing. I ended up getting interested in the first book (Leviathan), then this (Behemoth), AND the third one (Goliath). It was a good thought-provoker for me. Westerfield did a good job of exploring Steampunk beyond the diesel and clockwork type stuff. Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of traditional elements of Steampunk in the series. It's just that Westerfield expanded on the ideas of biological advances through what he terms Darwinism. My husband and I have always agreed that good science fiction takes only one step away from reality. Westerfield does a pretty good job.

US Toy Top Hat
US Toy Top Hat
Offered by Avalanche Brands
Price: $4.98
21 used & new from $4.97

3.0 out of 5 stars just okay, January 2, 2012
This review is from: US Toy Top Hat (Toy)
It's a simple top hat, so it was great for an experimental start to try-out a Steampunk event. I was able to easily decorate it in whatever form I wanted. It was thin enough to embroider, and still thick enough to support some brasswork and other jewelry.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 27, 2012 7:41 PM PDT

Creative Community Builder's Handbook: How to Transform Communities Using Local Assets, Arts, and Culture
by Tom Borrup
Price: $22.37
70 used & new from $8.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, March 23, 2010
This book is what I was looking for in terms of the whats and how-tos of getting community together to create. It made me think about what our communities artistic assets really are, and that helped solidify some ideas. The book has a really handy, in-depth checklist on what to do in what order to accomplish a project.

Works of Heart: Building Village through the Arts
Works of Heart: Building Village through the Arts
by Kiko Denzer
Price: $14.53
52 used & new from $9.85

3.0 out of 5 stars More that than this, March 23, 2010
I guess I expectated more depth in this book. I bought a related book, The Creative Community Builder's Handbook, and that book gave me more I guess what I was looking for. Heart offers some excellent photography, so if people are looking to examine how detailed a community project should be, then this might be the right book for them.

The Leadership Paradox: Balancing Logic and Artistry in Schools
The Leadership Paradox: Balancing Logic and Artistry in Schools
by Terrence E. Deal
Price: $32.00
48 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars The title is as the title does..., February 20, 2009
The Leadership Paradox provides insight into the varying degrees and criteria for decisions on how a person wants to be perceived as an educational leader. Deal states cases, all the options (this is where the paradoxical/ dichotomous writing comes in) and what certain educational leaders decided to do (since the cases were real). I happened to have this book assigned to me in a class, and (while I am a long time educational leader) the book gave me some things to think about in terms of management style extending into leadership, the mundane to spiritual aspects of leading people in schools, and reconsidering some of the options which, through time, I had forgotten as options in leadership (a person can get bogged down in the mundane). Personally, I have my own "short hand" adages, and when first reading the book I wondered why the dichotomous writing was so important. (I.e.: Wouldn't it have been more efficient to just make a statement rather than dally around in these degrees of getting things done?) But I pondered and realized that a review of leadership options is important. If nothing else, for a person that has some established management and leadership patterns, the book was useful for reconsidering the fact I do have options, and I do make choices. This book is solid professional development reading for the educational leader.