Profile for picaman > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

picaman RSS Feed (New York, NY USA)

RainbowImaging IRD89 Infrared Remote Control for Canon Legria/Vixia Camcorders, 100% Replaces CANON WL-D89 (Black)
Price: $8.41
5 used & new from $4.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect replacement, December 25, 2012
Ordered this in place the the constantly-out-of-stock and impossible-to-find Canon WL-D89 Wireless Controller. Half the price, has all the needed functions, and works perfectly out of the box. Don't trouble yourself with a fruitless search for the OEM remote. This one is fine.

Antennas Direct C2 ClearStream Television Antenna
Antennas Direct C2 ClearStream Television Antenna
Offered by SolidSignal
Price: $79.99
4 used & new from $50.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredibly good antenna, August 20, 2008
I live in New York City about 14 miles north of stations broadcasting from the Empire State Building. I tried indoor antennas, both the Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception and the RCA ANT525 AMPLIFIED ANTENNA, neither of which would pull in stations consistently even when I was constantly moving the antenna to maximize reception. The signal quality was constantly bouncing between 10% and ~80%, so stations were constantly cutting in and out.

I purchased this antenna when it was recommended by the telephone agent at AntennasDirect.com. She recommended it for me over the Antennas Direct DB2 Multi Directional HDTV Antenna because this one was somewhat less directional, and smaller in size.

All I can say is, WOW. I have 100% signal strength on nearly all channels, with a consistent 85% - 100% signal quality. It pulls in 24 HD stations (more than the ones I tried before) without moving the antenna at all, and with no extra amplification. I am using it as an internal antenna -- it's just placed by the window.

This antenna is worth every penny I paid for it, and more. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2011 7:37 PM PDT

Acoustic Research AW-871 Wireless Stereo Speakers
Acoustic Research AW-871 Wireless Stereo Speakers
5 used & new from $174.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, with caveats, August 15, 2007
I'm using these speakers as rear speakers for a home theater setup. They are installed in combination with the Scosche SLC4 - High level line converter. My older receiver doesn't have RCA jacks for the speakers, so you need this converter to hook up the speaker wires to the wireless transmitter--the AW-871 has only RCA jacks.

If you imagine the static and noise you can hear from a cordless telephone as you walk from room to room while talking, you'll get an idea of what these speakers can sound like. For my setup, I had to move the wires, the converter, and the transmitter around until I found a relatively static-free zone. But move one wire or bump the converter, and back came the static.

I found that the transmitter worked best for me when in direct line-of-sight with the speakers, not too far away (8 feet), and at the same level. I tried putting the transmitter on top of a bookcase instead of at the same level as the speakers, and back came the static. Behind books and at the same level as the speakers--static. Changing the channel on the transmitter (there are three channels) didn't help. I'm not sure if the Scosche converter contributes to the static issue, but in reading these reviews it seems that static is a common problem regardless of setup.

These speakers worked well for me, but only because I was able to place them in an absolutely ideal environment. I still hear minimal static in the background when there's nothing being played through the speakers, but a movie played at normal volume makes the static unnoticeable.

In short, these can be a good option under certain circumstances.