Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for Cheryl Stout > Reviews

Browse

Cheryl Stout's Profile

Customer Reviews: 2531
Top Reviewer Ranking: 616

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cheryl Stout "broiderqueen - army mama" RSS Feed (Southern Oregon)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Revenant: A Novel of Revenge
The Revenant: A Novel of Revenge
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Grand adventure story (mostly true) about seeking vengeance, February 10, 2016
First published in 2002, this book of THE REVENANT has gained popularity again because of the recently released movie by the same name. I haven't seen the movie - still undecided about that - but I am glad that its release gave me the chance to read this great adventure story that I missed the first time around.

This is a fictionalized account of a true story. It is so hard for me to imagine Hugh Glass living not only through a horrendous attack by a grizzly bear but having the determination to go after the two men who deserted him - without supplies. No knife, rifle, pistol, means of making a fire - and in a time in our history with no antibiotics.

This was a fascinating snapshot of the states west of the Rocky Mountains during fur trading days, when hostile Indians were still around and buffalo were plentiful.

There was a lot of history intertwined with Glass' story but I enjoyed reading about this time in our nation's history.

My only complaint - the ending was very abrupt. But even that didn't ruin this great story.

Before the Fall
Before the Fall
by Noah Hawley
Price: $21.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness for Jack LaLanne from 1974, Scott's inspiration. 😃, February 9, 2016
This review is from: Before the Fall (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses. - Malcolm X

On a foggy summer night, a private jet leaves Martha's Vineyard with eleven people aboard, including the crew. A few minutes into their flight to New York, the jet goes down in the ocean and miraculously there are two survivors - a middle-aged artist and the four year-old boy he rescues.

This is a gripping character-driven tale that explores the lives of all the passengers on the plane. The author has us readers speculating every step of the way through the investigation of the crash by the NTSB and the FBI as to what actually happened on the flight.

The media is right in the middle of the aftermath, trying to put their own slant on what actually happened.

The passengers include two VERY rich men and their families, a bodyguard, the artist, the flight attendant, the pilot and the copilot. So many questions are raised as to whether this was an accident, pilot error, or an act of terrorism.

I enjoyed the character studies but thought they dragged on a bit in places. I liked Scott, the artist, although he had many airhead moments. And I thought the rescue was pretty unbelievable, with Scott swimming 15+ miles in open ocean, injured, rescuing JJ, the four year-old boy. But it is fiction and it can be unbelievable and still enjoyable.

The Girl Who Couldn't Come Up With an Original Title
The Girl Who Couldn't Come Up With an Original Title
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars "...a soft layer of fleck covering the ground.", February 9, 2016
Did I enjoy this story? No. But then I don't believe it was written to enjoy. Did it make me think? Yes. Did it bring back memories of a deep grey time in my life? Yes.

I too, like the author, suffer Major Depressive Disorder, luckily brought under control by meds and therapy. When it's not under control, it's an all-consuming monster and this story captures the essence of that hopeless slide through darker and darker layers. The author has an exceptional gift with words and a knack for bringing his readers along on a one-way journey.

This, and the short story that follows it - RELUCTANCE - are not "roses and unicorns" happy little children's stories. They are dark tales of people at the edge of despair and sanity.

NOTE: I received this story from the author in exchange for my honest review.

Kailee Super Light Water Resistant Beach Bags Backpack in the Amusement Park Folding
Offered by Outdoor Leisure time Student Backpack
Price: $29.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight backpack but not the style shown on the Amazon page, February 7, 2016
I received a nice foldable Kailee backpack but it's not the style shown on the Amazon page. It has a mesh pocket for a water bottle on one side only. There is a front zippered compartment and a smaller zippered compartment on the opposite side from the mesh pocket.

I measured it at 16" tall and approximately 10" wide.

It is made well with quality zipper pulls and will be perfect for tucking in a corner of my suitcase so I have it for short day trips, shopping trips, beach trips. It is lightweight and isn't going to hold heavyweight items. Plus the shoulder straps have minimal padding.

I am glad that I received this backpack in exchange for my honest review.

Acelist® Hair Comb - Health care, Massage,Wood with Anti-static & No Snag Handmade Brush for Beard, Head Hair, Mustache with High Quality (Walnut)
Offered by CheerUp Shop
Price: $15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Very uncomfortable when combing hair, February 6, 2016
I've had wooden combs before that I've loved. This doesn't happen to be one of them.

The teeth on the comb are rough, like they weren't sanded/finished correctly. They also come to points. Wooden combs I've gotten in the past have had blunt ends on the teeth. The pointed ends are very uncomfortable on my scalp.

It is sturdy and attractive, with flowers and Chinese printing embossed on the front of the comb.

The comb is 6 7/32" long and 2" tall (these are at its widest points).The teeth are 1/8" apart.

My husband used the comb on his head and his beard and the sharp points didn't seem to bother him.

NOTE: I received this product in exchange for my honest review.

Zhenhui Fashion Jewelry Punk Style Hypoallergenic Stainless Steel Hoop Earrings Stud Earrings Set for Men Women Valentine's Day Gift
Offered by Zhenhui
Price: $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice combo of earrings - studs and hugger hoops, February 6, 2016
This is a super deal on seven pairs of stainless steel earrings. I received four sets of hugger hoop earrings - gold, silver, black and deep blue - 1/2" in diameter.

Also received are three sets of post earrings in silver, black and gold that give the appearance that your ears have been gauged (stretching the pierced holes in your ears to make them bigger). They are 5/16" in diameter.

The earrings seem to be made well and fasten securely.

These are good unisex earrings. I am older and won't wear the post earrings but I have been wearing the hoops and like them a lot.

Each set of earrings is individually packaged on a cardboard mat inside a cellophane envelope and then all the earrings are slipped inside a nice velvet drawstring bag.

I am glad that I received these earrings in exchange for my honest review.

OUMAXTMFIT T3 (3 Colored Bands) Activity and Fitness Tracker With 0.91inch OLED Touch Screen, G Sensor, Sleep Monitor and Smart Notifications for IOS & Android Devices (Support IOS9.0 and Android 5.0)
Offered by Wisma Online
Price: $37.99

4.0 out of 5 stars OUMAX T3 Fitness Band, February 6, 2016
This is a fitness band and watch that you sync to your phone or iPad. I downloaded the Zeroner app from Google Play and installed it on my Samsung Galaxy phone. The app is needed to set up the watch and what you want the watch to do. There are no buttons on the watch.

The step counter shows fewer steps than you are actually taking. I counted off 50 steps twice on a walk I went on and it showed 40 steps and 43 steps the second time. It's ballpark close depending on how far you walk. It logs the distance, time used, and calories burned, and the time of day on the phone with charts. It calculates the distance walked and calories burned from the steps taken so they will be ballpark estimates.

I liked the sleep tracker function. It charts the sleep patterns and shows the deep sleep, regular sleep, light sleep, and when you are awake by the time and for how long.

The watch can be set to notify you when you have a call or a message on your phone. If you can't find your phone, you can make the phone beep. If you have your phone set up you can activate the camera with the watch. There is an alarm function that can be set that vibrates the watch. The Bluetooth connection and the touchscreen work great. The watch unsnaps from the band and is plugged into a USB port to recharge. It holds a charge well. I've been using the watch several days and it still shows that it's half charged.

It comes with three bands – black, blue, and reddish–pink. The bands are soft and comfortable to wear.

I am glad that I received this fitness band in exchange for my honest review.

Reading light, SeresRoad Extra-Bright Rechargeable LED Desk Light/Book Light with 2 Lighting Modes and Adjustable Neck with Clip On(1 Arm-4 Led)
Offered by Bonchoice
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love that this is AC rechargeable, February 6, 2016
I actually received the two arm 8 LED light which isn't shown as an option by SeresRoad any more. I am assuming it is the same light with twice the brightness level so I'm going to leave my review here. The one arm makes more sense because using just one arm of the reading light I received on full brightness gives me plenty of light to read. I do like that I can use one or two arms to light and each arm has two lighting choices. That makes the light I received very versatile.

I am going to use this in our travel trailer - both in the bedroom and the living room because neither has adequate reading/work lights - at least for my older eyes. It will help with my knitting too.

The clamp on the light works great. It hooks onto a shelf above my side of the bed in the travel trailer and stays there solidly.

I normally read most of my books on my Kindle Fire HDX any more so I don't need a light since it is self-lit. But I prefer hard copies on some books I review and this book light will definitely do the job.

My husband has used it a couple of times already. He's always working on things with tiny parts and the brightness of this light when both arms are at full brightness is very useful. That's 8 LEDs shining down on whatever you are looking at.

I do wish the charging cord was longer. It's 3 foot long and 6 foot would have been better for us.

The light is easy to use. You charge it (it takes about 2 hours to fully charge). There's a light on the wall receptacle that changes from red to green when fully charged. Oh, and the cord is separate from the wall receptacle. It has a USB end that plugs into a slot on the wall receptacle and a male connector that plugs into the reading light. Attach the clamp where you need it. Bend the light arm wherever you need it to be pointing (or arms in our case). There's a button on top of each lamp above the LED lights. Push it once for half brightness, push it again for full brightness, and push it a third time to turn the light off.

When the arms are folded down on this light, it takes up very little room, which is a consideration when you're packing a travel trailer.

I am glad that I received this reading light in exchange for my honest review.

Tri-Color Stainless Steel Twisted Hoop Earrings(1.38" x 1.10")
Tri-Color Stainless Steel Twisted Hoop Earrings(1.38" x 1.10")
Offered by SBLING-COLLECTION
Price: $45.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Unusual twisted hoop earrings, February 5, 2016
These twisted hoop earrings are a bit different than others I've seen. They are heavier and twist just a tad differently at the top - which I like. There are three intertwined pieces of metal making up each earring - colors silver, gold and rose gold. The Amazon page says they are made of stainless steel but there's no markings on the earrings themselves.

The closing catch on one of the earrings doesn't latch all the way down into its slot. It seems like it will stay fastened but is a bit worrisome.

The earrings come in a teal colored box and it has a velvet bag for the earrings inside.

They are 1 1/16" across and 1 1/4" in length. They are a bit heavy but my ears are tough and I was able to wear them all day with no problem.

These are great for everyday wear and I've gotten many compliments on them while wearing them.

I am glad I received these earrings in exchange for my honest review.

Platinum Plated Sterling Silver AAAA Cubic Zirconia C-Hoop Earrings
Platinum Plated Sterling Silver AAAA Cubic Zirconia C-Hoop Earrings
Offered by SBLING-COLLECTION
Price: $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle beauty, February 5, 2016
These are very stunning costume jewelry earrings especially for the price ($32.99 today). The Amazon page says they are sterling silver coated with platinum. I have no way to verify that and there are no stampings on the earrings but they look classy but would look good with casual wear too.

These are half hoop earrings with each one having 58 CZs on it, for a total of 116 CZs. There are no rough edges and the stones all seem to be solidly mounted.

I measured the whole earring to be 9/32" wide and 1/2" long approximately (harder to measure the arc).

They come with an assortment of three kinds of backs, which is a nice plus. They also come in a nice velvet presentation box, although they ship in a cheap looking cardboard box holding the velvet box and earrings. So I wouldn't ship these directly to anyone. Ship them to yourself and take them out of the outer cardboard box before giving them to someone.

I would feel fine giving these as a gift to anyone. They aren't diamonds but they sure do have a beautiful sparkle.

I am glad I received these earrings in exchange for my honest review.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20