Profile for Cheryl Stout > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 501

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cheryl Stout "broiderqueen - army mama" RSS Feed (Southern Oregon)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
A New Hope (Thunder Point)
A New Hope (Thunder Point)
by Robyn Carr
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.10
49 used & new from $4.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner in the Thunder Point series, July 4, 2015
I love Robyn Carr books and have read them all, I do believe. The Virgin River books, to me, were the perfect romances. I like Thunder Point too but it took me a while to warm up to the town and the characters (I was pouting because there weren't going to be any more Virgin River books).

But I have definitely decided I like this little coastal town in Oregon. And the characters are warm and funny and I want to meet them all.

Ginger Dysart works in the little flower shop and, while making sure the flowers at a local wedding are okay, she gets groped by drunken Matt Lacoumette. Ginger and Matt are two damaged people, neither one looking for any serious relationship. But it must be the air in Thunder Point because suddenly there are sparks flying between the two of them.

Author Carr has a real talent in writing about damaged people and having them heal on the pages of her stories.

This eighth offering in this series is a definite winner and I'm already looking forward to August 2015 for WILDEST DREAMS, when we get to read nurse Lin Su's story.

Philips Norelco S7370/87 7300 Shaver, Frustration Free Packaging
Philips Norelco S7370/87 7300 Shaver, Frustration Free Packaging
Price: $139.99
4 used & new from $129.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Comparing to an older Philips Norelco shaver - no comparison, July 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Hubby's old shaver is a standard Phillips Norelco. It is more bulky and the razor head is built-in so there's no flexibility. It cost about $60 a few years ago.

The new shaver comes with a black hard case, re-charging station, and the cleaning solution. The razor head is detachable and so is the side burn trimmer. The razor, razor head, and sideburn trimmer fit nicely in the carrying case. It's durable enough to take a beating inside of luggage. Most standard razors come with a basic cloth carrying case so it's nice to get something durable to protect a nice product.

The razor head is extremely flexible which gets a much closer shave in all the nooks and crannies. The actual shaver is less bulky than the old one which makes it easier to hold on to.This is a good product for anyone who doesn't have the time clean it. I used the self cleaning on it and it worked very well. Just make sure to dust off any large amounts of hair.

This shaver is more expensive than the old one but all in all you get what you pay for. You're paying more for a closer shave and it really takes the hassle away with the self cleaning perk.

Oh, and the frustration free packaging is nice. No hassles of fighting my way into a clamshell type case. The packaging was very plain and utilitarian but it did the job just fine.

Never Too Late (MIRA)
Never Too Late (MIRA)
by Robyn Carr
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
38 used & new from $0.66

5.0 out of 5 stars A super standalone from Robyn Carr, July 3, 2015
I've read all of Robyn Carr's books, from THE HOUSE ON OLIVE STREET to the wonderful Virgin River series to her latest Thunder Point series. (I haven't read A NEW HOPE yet but will start it as soon as I finish this review.)

Carr's books always fill up an empty spot in me. They are funny, sometimes heartwrenching, always romantic and I've loved every one of them.

NEVER TOO LATE is an older book of Carr's, copyrighted in 2006, but it didn't seem dated.

I loved the main characters of the story - sisters Clare and Sarah - and their sexy love interests (no spoilers here).

Romance, family ties, sexy moments - all tied together in another winner from Robyn Carr.

Kill Again (A Claire Waters Thriller Book 2)
Kill Again (A Claire Waters Thriller Book 2)
Price: $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A "puzzling" psychological thriller, July 2, 2015
Forensic psychiatry fellow Claire Waters and Nick Lawler, a NYPD homicide detective working behind a desk in the Homicide Analysis Unit because he is going blind, are brought together again after working together in the authors' first book in this series KILL SWITCH.

This time around, one of Dr. Waters' patients is kidnapped in plain sight and later found dead - killed in a most horrific fashion. As Claire and Nick delve into the case, they find many other women have died in the same fashion. Are they looking for a prolific serial killer or a copycat?

It was easy to tell that both authors of this story work in television. The scenes are easy to visualize and the momentum is fast-paced.

Having one of the characters have a disability is an interesting twist and I enjoyed reading how Detective Lawler deals with his oncoming blindness.

I enjoyed the characters and the twists and turns throughout the book - not just at the end.

NOTE: I received this book from Kensington Books through Net Galley in exchange for my honest review.

Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War
Ghost Fleet: A Novel of the Next World War
Offered by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Yes, peace can and must be won, to save the world from the terrible destruction of World War III. - Paul Robeson, July 2, 2015
This was a difficult book to get through. It is long - 400+ pages - and the first third of the book dragged terribly. I enjoyed the middle section and then, all of a sudden, we were at the end and the authors rushed through the ending.

The concept - a World War being fought with mainly China in space, on land, in the air, on the sea, in cyberspace - is a timely one. And many of the ideas in the book were scary and sounded oh too possible.

Character development was pretty nonexistent, at least human character development. I would consider the war itself to be the main character of this story.

And I wish that, in a big doorstopper of a book like this, that we could have been privy to more of the world situation. Instead the story gets kind of stuck on Oahu, Hawaii.

And endnotes - whew! What a collection of those are posted at the end of the book.

I don't mean to sound totally negative. There were parts of the story I really enjoyed. Just not enough of them!

NOTE: I received this book from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt through Net Galley in exchange for my honest review.

Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge Book 1)
Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge Book 1)
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The start of another super Shalvis series, July 1, 2015
I love author Shalvis' sense of humor and the sexy men she has inhabit her books.

This time around we have firefighter/Search and Rescue stud Aidan Kincaid who also helps run the family ski resort at Cedar Ridge, Colorado. He's plenty busy but then he finds out Lily Danville is back in town and he can always find time for her.

I loved the family and step-family dynamics in this rollicking tale. And, as always, Shalvis isn't shy about giving us readers plenty of sexy scenes.

I do wish the place setting had felt more like Colorado (which I love). It felt a trivial generic.

But I am already looking forward to the next book in the series - MY KIND OF WONDERFUL starring Aidan's half brother Hudson Kincaid.

Polanfo 12000 mAh, M20000 Mobile Power Mini, light-weight, high capacity, fast charging, Dual USB Port (2.1a & 1a), Portable Power Bank-Blue
Offered by Ronnie Tech
Price: $109.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy and also attractive, July 1, 2015
This is a 12000mAh charging power bank for mobile phones, mp3 players, or other devices that charge using USB/mini USB cables. It has two USB charge ports. One is rated 2.1 amps and the other is 1 amp according to the markings on the charger.

I charged my Samsung Galaxy phone with the 2.1 amp port and brought it to 100% from 45% about as fast as the charger that came with the phone. I used my phone and then charged it a second time from 70% and these two chargings used 75% of the battery power up in the charger. You can get multiple charges depending on how low the charge in your phone (or other device) gets.

The manual says you can charge two devices at once but this will slow the process down.

The power bank itself charged fairly quickly plugged into my desktop computer. There are 4 miniature lights that show the charge status.

The power bank measures 5.75" x 3" x .75." It's nice looking and well made.

These are great to have along if you're camping or hiking or get stuck somewhere where there is no electricity.

NOTE: I received this product in exchange for my honest review.

Captive Cables - Cable Management Sleeve [4 Pack] - Cord Management System for PC / TV / Home Entertainment
Offered by Otley Creations Limited
Price: $13.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish these had better zippers, July 1, 2015
These cable management sleeves come in a four pack, which is nice.

The sleeves are 20" long and 3.5" wide and will stretch a little. They zip together and hold the cables inside. Unzip them and you can add or remove cables. These look much neater in appearance than plastic tie straps. They will hold a lot of cables depending on cable size.

I used one on my surround sound amplifier and covered 10 speaker cables and 6 other larger cables.

The only downside is the zipper. It takes some patience to get it started but it does work okay after that.

NOTE: I received this product in exchange for my honest review.

Mudder Luxury Golden Scale White Dial Skeleton Men Women Pocket Mechanical Watches Chain
Offered by MudderOnline
Price: $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice bright solid feeling analog pocket watch, July 1, 2015
This is a hefty feeling pocket watch. You can see the inner workings of the watch through clear "portholes" on the front and the back of the watch. Also on the front acrylic cover to the watch are cutouts so you can see the gold Roman numerals through the inner face of the watch. The front of the watch opens when you press the button on top of the crown of the watch, allowing you to see the time easier. The hands are kind of a lacy black material and are kind of hard to see. This would not be a watch for anyone that is sight impaired.

The case is bright gold colored and it is metal. The chain is metal and gold colored also. The watch is also water resistant.

You need to hand wind the watch using the crown at the top. You also use the crown, by pulling it partway out, to set the time on the watch.

The pocket watch comes with a gold colored chain that you can hook to the watch and then to your pocket.

It also comes with a nice gold colored presentation box with a black velvet "pillow" inside that the watch sits on.

This is a nice watch especially for the price.

Mudder Black Half-hunter Roman Mechanical Pocket Watch with Chain
Mudder Black Half-hunter Roman Mechanical Pocket Watch with Chain
Offered by MudderOnline
Price: $21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice solid feeling analog pocket watch, July 1, 2015
This is a hefty feeling pocket watch. You can see the inner workings of the watch through clear "portholes" on the front and the back of the watch. The front of the watch opens when you press the button on top of the crown of the watch, allowing you to see the time easier. The hands are kind of a lacy black material and are kind of hard to see. This would not be a watch for anyone that is sight impaired.

The case is a dark gunmetal grey (I really don't consider it to be black) and it is metal. The chain is metal also. The numbers on the outer acrylic watch face are Roman numerals in white. There are also Roman numerals in black on the inner acrylic face of the watch. The watch is also water resistant.

The pocket watch comes with a black chain that you can hook to the watch and then to your pocket.

This is a nice watch especially for the price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20