Profile for Cheryl Stout > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 594

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cheryl Stout "broiderqueen - army mama" RSS Feed (Southern Oregon)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Dreidel that Wouldn't Spin: A Toyshop Tale of Hanukkah
The Dreidel that Wouldn't Spin: A Toyshop Tale of Hanukkah
by Martha Seif Simpson
Price: $12.82
39 used & new from $10.26

5.0 out of 5 stars True meaning of the holiday, October 21, 2014
I've been lucky enough to get Advanced Reading Copies of quality children's books before from Wisdom Tales Press. So I knew I wouldn't be disappointed with the latest book they sent to me to read/review.

The book itself is bound well and has a thick, colorful dustcover on it. This is a book that will find a place in your child's library (or in my case, my twin grandchildren's library).

This Hanukkah story written by author Simpson and illustrated by Bernhard is a fun story to read yet has an abiding message about the true significance of Hanukkah. Also, that money doesn't buy happiness and it doesn't buy miracles. Only someone who understands this will be truly blessed.

I liked the message, the illustrations, the explanation of Hanukkah at the end of the book along with instructions on how to play the dreidel game.

I highly recommend this book.

Captain No Beard and the Aurora Borealis
Captain No Beard and the Aurora Borealis
Price: $1.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Captain No Beard and Arctic adventures, October 21, 2014
Author Carole P. Roman brings us another Captain No Beard adventure, blending great story, bright, colorful illustrations, and lessons that all can benefit from.

I've read all of the Captain No Beard series (and passed them on for my twin grandchildren to enjoy). I do believe that this is my favorite to date.

I loved the way the "crew" stood up for what they believed in and didn't back down to Captain No Beard. There are lessons to be learned but author Roman's approach makes it fun and easy to learn those lessons. The main lesson taught in this installment is that stealing is wrong but there are some side lessons about art and imagination.

I did feel the illustrations weren't quite as bright in this book but I still thoroughly enjoyed Captain No Beard/Alexander's adventures.

NOTE: I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Glow
Glow
Price: $4.99

3.0 out of 5 stars The mind is everything. What you think you become. - Buddha, October 21, 2014
This review is from: Glow (Kindle Edition)
Up front, let me write that I am a huge fan of author Steve Gannon. I love his Kane series of books, which includes A Song for the Asking (one of my all-time favorite books); Kane; and Allison.

I wasn't as impressed by GLOW. I wish the author had chosen a genre and stuck to it. Instead the book ends up being a mish mash of genres (paranormal, sci fi, vampirish monster).

The story just never seemed to flow smoothly. It felt like the author was over thinking the story line and the characters were one-dimensional. It is an okay read but after reading his other books, I was disappointed in this offering.

Mike Callahan, the protagonist of the story, spoke wooden lines of dialogue and there wasn't any huge "aha" moments in the whole tale.

Oh well, this book won't keep me from reading any other books Gannon writes. I was THAT impressed with his Kane series. And I just had the opportunity to read an Advanced Reading Copy of the fourth book in the series L.A. SNIPER which should hopefully be out soon.

How to Bake a Man
How to Bake a Man
by Jessica Barksdale Inclan
Price: $12.59
8 used & new from $12.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Fast, upbeat read..., October 20, 2014
This review is from: How to Bake a Man (Paperback)
I had never read a book by author Inclán before but liked the description of HOW TO BAKE A MAN. I don't especially like the title, though, and don't think it fits the book.

I did enjoy the story of Becca Muchmore and her small baking business. I liked the idea of her small baking goods delivery service (would have loved this when I worked in an office). I also liked her neighbor, Sal. Best of all were the different recipes included with the book, such as Honey Nuts Cookies, Pumpkin Muffins, and Old-Fashioned Gingerbread. There are 16 recipes total, if I counted correctly.

I do wish the characters had been a little better developed. They were rather one-dimensional. But this is a light romance taking place in San Francisco and there is enough substance to the novel to give the reader a fast, upbeat read. Plus you have a cookbook to use after finishing Becca's story.

NOTE: I received an Advanced Reading Copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Christmas at Twilight: A Twilight, Texas Novel
Christmas at Twilight: A Twilight, Texas Novel
by Lori Wilde
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $6.00

4.0 out of 5 stars "The rule of four to gift giving - something you want and something you need, something to wear and something to read", October 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Jane Brown aka Meredith Sommers has fallen in love with the town of Twilight, Texas. She loves the town itself and the people and is already regretting having to leave with her 4 year-old son Ben. But she has been on the run for five years from her sociopath of an ex-husband.

Brian "Hutch" Hutchinson is back home in Twilight from the military, after being hurt physically and emotionally during a Special Forces operation.

Both Meredith and Hutch are damaged and they gravitate towards each other after their first tempestuous meeting.

I loved these two characters and really loved the children in the story.

Secrets, romance, a character with borderline personality disorder, Christmas in the quaint town of Twilight, cute kiddos, characters recovering from devastating circumstances - all tossed together in this romance/suspense novel that really delivers.

Be warned that there is a physically/emotionally abusive relationship depicted in this book.

Take Me With You
Take Me With You
by Catherine Ryan Hyde
Price: $10.99
21 used & new from $8.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Loss and adversity help three needy people form lifelong bonds, October 16, 2014
This review is from: Take Me With You (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Once I got past my first sense of disbelief - in this day and age what father, even an alcoholic one, would send his two young sons off to live with a complete stranger (male at that) for all summer? And what lone male would take on that responsibility in this age of accusations and lawsuits? But this is fiction and once I quit fighting myself over these things, I sat back and enjoyed the story.

August Schroeder is a high school science teacher who travels all of his summers in his motorhome with his dog. While his RV is being repaired in a small town garage, the mechanic asks August to take his 12 and 7 year-old sons along for the rest of the summer because he's not going to be able to watch over them.

August agrees and thus starts his bonding with Seth and Henry, the two boys. August has his own demons from the past and the boys do, too, and this is a wonderful tale of how the three of them deal with their separate and joint problems and all become stronger for it.

The author made these characters come alive to me with many details of each, capturing their essence. The travel details were wonderful and explained so well that I felt I was visiting each place on their itinerary. I felt the AA and alcoholism discussions were handled well (as someone that has come from a very similar background).

And I loved the last sections and the ending of the story. This was a satisfying, uplifting story that I enjoyed very much.

Ernie Ball 2568 Aluminum Bronze Light Acoustic Guitar String Set
Ernie Ball 2568 Aluminum Bronze Light Acoustic Guitar String Set
Offered by Music123
Price: $7.99
13 used & new from $6.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Evenly balanced; nice ring, October 16, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I got these Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings light gauge 11 to 52 to try out and I'm pleasantly surprised.

I put these on an old 70s era red label Yamaha small body guitar and it has never sounded better. The strings are very evenly balanced sounding. They have a nice ring but aren't tinny sounding. The bass mid and treble are all pronounced and sound very good. The strings are quite flexible and are easy to bend and easy on the fingers.

This is a lower end plywood guitar. I would like to try the strings on one of my other acoustics. I just put these on yesterday so I can't say how long they will last.

The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing, 3e (Idiot's Guides)
The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing, 3e (Idiot's Guides)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of good basic info, October 14, 2014
My husband and I are in the preliminary stages of thinking about purchasing a used travel trailer. We want to make an informed decision when we actually buy.

There is a lot of good info in this book. Granted, most of it seems to be targeting motor home owners/buyers but there's still plenty of ideas and suggestions we can use.

There's a lot of info crammed into this 360+ page book. Five separate parts; with 19 subsections under those. There are some pictures that are helpful but most of the book is easy-to-read text.

Another book we have found helpful is The RVer's Bible: Everything You Need to Know About Choosing, Using, & Enjoying Your RV (1997).

Between both books, we found lots of useful info.

Best RV Tips from RVTipOfTheDay.com
Best RV Tips from RVTipOfTheDay.com
Price: $6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but nothing too surprising, October 14, 2014
My husband and I are looking to buy a used travel trailer in the not-so-distant future. I gathered some different books to acquaint myself with RVing.

There were some interesting tidbits in this book but I actually found a couple of other books more helpful - The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing, 3e and The RVer's Bible: Everything You Need to Know About Choosing, Using, & Enjoying Your RV(1997).

This book wandered quite a bit and it just seemed to be a hodgepodge of tips thrown together with no rhyme or reason. It was kind of hard picking out relevant, useful info.

by Kim Baker
Price: $19.99
149 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit outdated but still very helpful, October 14, 2014
My husband and I are looking at getting a travel trailer. Our budget isn't big so it'll be a used one. So even though this book is copyrighted 1997, it had plenty of information we didn't know and hopefully will be able to use in finding/using an older trailer. I can see us especially using the trip checklists.

There was some outdated info especially on technology. It was funny reading about that new device - a debit card.

It is divided into three main parts with subdivisions under them.

Part I. Choosing the Best RV for You

21. Keeping in Touch
22. Working, Volunteering, and Saving Money on the Road
23. Kids and Pets on the Road
24. The RV Chef: Cooking on the Road

and then a small section of General Resources for the RVer.

So, even though outdated in spots, there's still plenty of useful information.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20