Profile for Cheryl Stout > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 560

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cheryl Stout "broiderqueen - army mama" RSS Feed (Southern Oregon)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Walk On (The Triple Threat, 1)
The Walk On (The Triple Threat, 1)
by John Feinstein
Price: $12.64
35 used & new from $8.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Alex "Goldie" Myers - quarterback, September 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
THE WALK ON is the first book in a trilogy about Alex Myers, triple threat, meaning that he is an outstanding athlete in three sports - football, basketball and baseball. This first book is about the football skills he brings to Chester Heights High School.

He and his mom and sister move to Philadelphia from Boston after his parents go through a divorce. So even though probably 90% of the book is focused on football, the remaining portion does focus on family issues, girl issues, friend issues.

This trilogy is targeted to those readers 10 years-old and up and I thought it was appropriate to that age group.

The book could have been edited a bit for length, in my opinion. It is 359 pages long and has an ABUNDANCE of football practice and game pages. Some of that length could have gone to a bit more character development, even though I did get a good idea of the characters based on what is written about them. Middle school/high school boys will probably appreciate all the sports. I just think the audience could be broadened a bit just with a little editing.

My major complaint is that this is the first book in a trilogy, a series book, and it ends on a cliffhanger. And the next book that is focused on Alex's basketball career isn't due out until September 2015. A year is a long time to wait (and remember).

I do recommend this book to anyone interested in high school football or football in general. It is well written and accurately depicts the game and high school environment, even though being toned down for middle school readers. No profanity, no drinking, no recreational drug use are included in the book.

Westlinke Soft Nylon Zippered Digital Camera Bag Case Cover for Canon Sony Nikon DSLR Cameras with Shoulder Belt(Purple)
Offered by Westlinke Company Limited
Price: $14.38

4.0 out of 5 stars Bought for an MP3 player and accessory case, September 13, 2014
I bought this bag to hold an MP3 player and accessories as a gift for a friend. It's a great size. It's able to hold all of the accessories plus the MP3 player with extra room (and that includes a mini speaker for the MP3 player). Plus a USB cord, a charger, earbuds, and a car charger.

My friend really likes purple so this is the perfect color. The bag is made well and looks nice.

I like that it can be carried by a handle or by using a shoulder strap.

Standard Butter Dish(Colors May Vary)
Standard Butter Dish(Colors May Vary)
Offered by Better Linen
Price: $6.62
18 used & new from $3.56

5.0 out of 5 stars Rubbermaid to the rescue - again, September 13, 2014
I love Rubbermaid products. I've been looking for this butter dish for a long time and finally found it on Amazon. I'm glad that it came in the red color that is shown on the Amazon page.

The lid fits tightly so you can pick it up without worrying about the bottom falling off and it keeps food odors out of the butter.

Functional, nice-looking, and inexpensive - what more could you want?

Melissa & Doug Wooden Shape Sorting Clock
Melissa & Doug Wooden Shape Sorting Clock
Price: $14.99
70 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile learning toy, September 13, 2014
I bought this clock puzzle for my 30 month old (almost) twin grandchildren. I think it's going to be a favorite toy - in a couple of months. They've got the colors down and can pick them out when asked. But right now - for them - the puzzle pieces and shapes are a little above their ability.

But they kept trying to make those pieces fit. And they loved turning the hands on the clock.

So I think this will be a toy they play with over the next few months, learning numbers, sequences of numbers, telling time, learning names of shapes.

Melissa and Doug puzzles are good (not great) quality puzzles that the twins have loved in the past.

Acc U Rate® children digital finger pulse oximeter with adorable animal theme (Artic Bear)
Offered by Med Shop & Beyond
Price: $49.95
2 used & new from $49.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Polar bear oximeter is cute for little fingers, September 13, 2014
This pulse oximeter is accurate (checked at my doctor's office) and cute for little fingers.

It tests pulse rate and oxygen levels in the blood so it's very important if you have a little one with respiratory problems and/or asthma.

It comes with a lanyard so you can wear it around your neck or a very nice little blue and black case that will actually slide onto a belt.

I tested it on my twin grandchildren and they were curious about it but not frightened by it. It comes back with readings quickly so testing both children was a snap.

I recommend this oximeter if you need one for your children.

NOTE: I received this product in exchange for my honest review.

Tea Beyond FLS-3SET-BLF2100 12-Pack Fab Flowering Blooms Tea
Tea Beyond FLS-3SET-BLF2100 12-Pack Fab Flowering Blooms Tea
Offered by Tea Beyond
Price: $15.00
2 used & new from $15.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful presentation, September 13, 2014
I received this tea along with the Tea Beyond Clear Glass Teapot Butterfly 710ml 24 Oz Non Drip with Infuser as samples to try and review.

The teapot is delicate looking but actually very hardy to use. It was perfect for this blooming flower tea. If you don't use this teapot, be sure to use a clear glass one so that you can see the tea bloom.

The tea itself makes a beautiful presentation as you pour the hot water on it and it blooms into a beautiful flower. The tea is delicate tasting but I would question as to whether it would actually make 10 cups of tea per bloom.

The tea is light in color, very delicate tasting with a floral aftertaste. I am not much of a tea drinker but I enjoyed this brand and the blooming flower tea.

Tea Beyond Clear Glass Teapot Butterfly 710ml 24 Oz Non Drip with Infuser
Tea Beyond Clear Glass Teapot Butterfly 710ml 24 Oz Non Drip with Infuser
Offered by Tea Beyond
Price: $25.00
2 used & new from $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful but functional, September 13, 2014
This is a pretty glass teapot, which is a nice addition in my household full of menfolk.

There is a delicate pink butterfly on top of the lid that you use for a handle. The teapot also came with an infuser that goes down inside the teapot. The teapot is made of heat tempered glass and is a lot more sturdy than it actually looks. It looks very delicate but I've banged it around some and it has not broken.

It came wrapped extremely well in a double layer of bubble wrap. I had been worried how this glass teapot would make it through the mail system but there was no problem at all.

I heated water separately on the stove and then poured it into the teapot and steeped the tea for about five minutes. I used the Tea Beyond FLS-3SET-BLF2100 12-Pack Fab Flowering Blooms Tea that was sent to me along with the teapot. What a beautiful presentation it makes! And, even though I am not much of a tea drinker, I enjoyed the tea that came from this blooming tea. It has a nice floral, very delicate taste.

I would recommend this teapot and tea to anyone that enjoys pampering themselves.

NOTE: I received this product in exchange for my honest review.

Bushnell 202442 The Truth ARC 4x20mm Bowhunting Laser Rangefinder with Clear Shot
Price: $199.00
8 used & new from $199.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nifty tool for the bow hunter or the rifle hunter, September 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This laser rangefinder fits comfortably in the palm of my hand, measuring 1.4"x2.4"x3.8". It comes with a nice, well-made case that will fit on your belt or it has a carabiner clip to hook to your backpack or whatever. It also comes with a lanyard that hooks directly onto the rangefinder so it can be carried around your neck. Also included is a 3-volt lithium battery and a soft lens cleaning cloth. And a calibration chart and operator's manual.

It magnifies to 4 power. It can be used to provide line of sight, angle, and true horizontal distance from 7 - 199 yards for bow hunting or will provide accurate line of sight distance from 7 - 850 yards for the rifle hunter.

I actually measured out 10, 25 and 50 yards to test the rangefinder and found the instrument to be very accurate.

Bushnell claims this rangefinder is rainproof, not just rain resistant. I haven't tried that out but it's a nice plus.

My rangefinder is marked on the side with what I assume is a serial number, shows that it was made in China in July 2014.

It is easy to use. I've always been pleased with Bushnell products and this is just another positive Bushnell experience for me.

Rites of Passage
Rites of Passage
by Joy N. Hensley
Price: $11.37
31 used & new from $9.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong female protagonist, September 13, 2014
This review is from: Rites of Passage (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you are looking for something a bit different to read, try RITES OF PASSAGE. This is a militaristic coming-of-age story about a high school level military academy accepting female students for the first time. This fictitious academy is in North Carolina and Sam (Samantha) is a 16 year-old entering the school as a sophomore.

I was confused at first because of the name of the Denmark Military Academy. I thought this was actually going to be taking place in Denmark. But come to find out, the school was named for a General Denmark. There is a real-life place called the Royal Danish Military Academy so a different name would have been less confusing, at least to me.

I thought Sam, the protagonist, was a strong, excellent role model to young readers, both male and female, for the most part. There are a few things that I didn't like - underage drinking, staying at a male classmate's house on holiday with no adult supervision, almost nonexistent adult supervision at this high school.

It should be noted that there is some profanity in the book, along with bullying and physical, emotional and verbal abuse. The book is shown on the Advanced Reading Copy that I read that it was written for ages 13 and older, grades 8 and up. I would consider this to be for older teens than this and adults.

I found the book a bit out of sync with the times. The book supposedly takes place in the 2014-15 school year. But other military academies have been taking female students for years - the U.S. Military Academy at West Point started in 1976; VMI in 1997; and the Citadel in 1996.

There were a few laggy, repetitive spots that could have been cut down a bit. And the ending felt rushed and kind of dead ended, leaving room for a sequel, I would guess.

But, despite the negatives I've noted, this was a book that held my interest from the very first page. The characters were well defined. The storyline was unique and interesting. I enjoyed Sam's character and that of her romantic interest.

I recommend this to older teens and adults with an interest in the military or Academy life.

The Taking
The Taking
by Kimberly Derting
Price: $13.86
76 used & new from $4.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Fireflies and abductions..., September 11, 2014
This review is from: The Taking (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love sci fi thrillers such as this one. Five years ago, 16 year-old Myra Agnew disappeared on a dark country road outside of Burlington, Washington. Suddenly she reappears, curled up against a dirty dumpster outside the Gas'n Sip gas station. She's dressed exactly the same, has the same bruises, even smells of the sweaty softball game she had just helped win before she disappeared. And she hasn't aged a day in five years.

Life has gone on without her in those five years and it's a hard transition, trying to come back to her family and friends. And she's not exactly the same girl who vanished.

I liked the characters of Kyra and also of Tyler, the now 17 year-old brother of the boyfriend Myra had five years ago.

The story dragged in a few spots and was a little repetitive but my main complaint is the same one I have with most series books - the cliffhanger ending. The next book - The Replaced (The Taking) - will supposedly be out in April 2015. I hope so. I want to see what else happens to Myra.

Heads up: this is a Young Adult book for ages 14 and up. There is some language in the book that some might find offensive.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20