Profile for Jason Shanker > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jason Shanker RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Cheetah Mounts APDAM2B Articulating Dual Arm TV Wall Mount Bracket with Full Motion Tilt and Swivel for 32-65" LCD, LED, Plasma, Flat Screen Monitors and Displays Up to VESA 684x400 and 165lbs, Including a Free Twisted Veins 10' HDMI Cable and 6" Level
Offered by SPN Performance
Price: $68.69
13 used & new from $48.00

1.0 out of 5 stars In 2013 it was awesome. Today it comes in 15 pieces and feels like junk, June 20, 2014
I bought two of these in April 2013. The first one was pretty good, the second one was even better. Very substantial, sturdy, great mount. So when I needed another this week I came back. Same link, same page but now instead of arriving in a great big box it arrived in a shoebox size box. I thought for sure they'd shipped the wrong one but then I read the box and it said the right things.

Sure enough, they've now outsourced the manufacturing . . . to the customer. It's in about 15 pieces, more if you count the dozen or so loose nuts and bolts clanging around in there.

Very very very disappointed. I may or may not attempt to put the thing together, but I can tell already that it's a flimsy piece of junk compared to the 2013 model.

UPDATE: I called Cheetah Mounts and they confirmed that a few months (around Jan 2014) ago they changed the design in order to fit the mount in s much smaller package. They achieved that, but at the cost of about an hour's worth of work on the part of the customer which still results in an inferior product. Anyone who's mounted TVs knows that all the parts for mounting the TV ALWAYS come in these very OCD (in a good way) plastic bags. With this mount, the TV mount parts came in a plastic bags but the dozen extra parts for assembling the mount itself were just loose in the box. Not surprisingly, one of those (a thick washer) is missing from my package, which means a screw protrudes too far and prevents the mount from folding in.

Moreover, I needed several different sets of tools to do this. There are a few nuts that a socket wrench can't reach and only a combo wrench held at a very specific angle could grab hold of. THIS IS NOT THE SAME PRODUCT AS THE ONE THAT GARNERED THOUSANDS OF FIVE-STAR REVIEWS. It's an ENTIRELY different product and should not be allowed to be sold under the same SKU.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 3, 2014 8:11 AM PDT

i-Blason Google Nexus 5 Smart Phone by LG Prime Series Dual Layer Holster Case with Kickstand and Locking Belt Swivel Clip (Black)
Offered by i-BLASON
Price: $24.99
2 used & new from $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great protection, sturdy, handy., February 17, 2014
I like this case as much as any I've ever owned. Provides protection around all four sides and even the front. It can sometimes be a bit snug fitting into the holster, but I've come to consider that a feature not a bug since it also means it won't slide out on its own. Very pleased with it overall.

Rubbermaid FG631100 White 5-Inch Toilet Bowl Brush Holder for FG6310 Brush
Rubbermaid FG631100 White 5-Inch Toilet Bowl Brush Holder for FG6310 Brush
Price: $2.12
23 used & new from $2.12

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, nicely made, GREAT price, February 17, 2014
Our (much more expensive) OXO bowl cleaner was looking pretty bad. I was about to order another when I saw these. The base and brush combined are about one fifth the price, and to my delight I like them better. The fact that I can replace them twice as often and still spend less is great, but to be honest I expect to have to replace these LESS often. The design means they're less likely to stay damp and thus look bad. The only thing the OXO has on these is the brush is "hidden" but newsflash . . . everyone knows it's a toilet bowl cleaner. :-)

National Hardware V165 Undershelf Coat Hooks in Nickel
National Hardware V165 Undershelf Coat Hooks in Nickel
Price: $7.04
16 used & new from $2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Very stylish, I keep buying more and more of them!, February 17, 2014
I could not be happier with this product. Nice finish, well made. I bought one pack and then kept finding more places for them. I'm up to about 4 packs now!

Introduction to Social Work & Social Welfare: Critical Thinking Perspectives
Introduction to Social Work & Social Welfare: Critical Thinking Perspectives
by Karen Kay Kirst-Ashman
Price: $208.41
46 used & new from $74.04

1.0 out of 5 stars Ironic that it includes the words "critical thinking" in the title, February 17, 2014
The perfect book for you if you want to avoid challenging your own preconceived notions. The author's ability to assert as true things that are demonstrably false is impressive if disheartening. Sad to think that young people are being "educated" with such biased drivel.

Irwin Industrial Tools 3046010 2-Inch 3-Cutter Self Feed Drill Bit
Irwin Industrial Tools 3046010 2-Inch 3-Cutter Self Feed Drill Bit
Price: $24.46
31 used & new from $17.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Great concept, seizes up too often, August 6, 2013
I really wanted to love this bit and in soft wood it might be perfect. I was only drilling through 2x4's to run some conduit and I was using a hardly-wimpy 7.5 amp drill but every time the center screw pulled the face against the stud it seized up and I had to reverse out. I tried the trick mentioned in an earlier review of replacing the screw with a regular drill bit but with round-shank drill bits they just spun in the middle. If I'd had a hex-shank rotary drill bit for the center that the set screw could have held only then I might have been in business, but without that this bit was not useful.

The only progress I made with it was removing the center and just using it like a forstner but, but this left a "post" in the center of my hole which I had to knock out every 1/4 inch or so.

Instead of including a second screw bit they should include a basic rotary with a flat side for the set screw and let you choose which one you need. The bit is too worn down to return of course, so it's just money wasted.

15.6" LED WXGA HD Slim Glossy Replacement LCD Screen for LG LP156WH3-TLA2 / LP156WH3(TL)(A2) (or compatible model)
Offered by vivotechnology
Price: $46.70
10 used & new from $35.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Well packaged, worked perfectly, looks great, July 22, 2013
This arrived quickly, well packaged and worked perfectly. A single bad pixel which is well within the standards even for high-end products. Very happy with my purchase.

Arrow ET200 Heavy Duty Electric Nail Gun, shoots up to 1 1.4-Inch Brads
Arrow ET200 Heavy Duty Electric Nail Gun, shoots up to 1 1.4-Inch Brads
Price: $59.99
41 used & new from $45.86

1.0 out of 5 stars Shockingly it's even worse than the reviews would have you believe, July 22, 2013
In spite of all the bad reviews I bought one of these on the basis of R. Denley's explanation. It was a lot easier for me to believe that people were just using it wrong than that a well-known company like Arrow was putting out such a poor product.

Within minutes of starting to use the gun, I realized it was, in fact, junk.

I don't doubt R. Denley's worked correctly, but I do think there's a huge number of them that do not. Maybe just awful QC, but mine -- on a dedicated 20 amp circuit with no extension cord and waiting 10+ seconds between brads) would initially not fire any. After I took it apart and reassembled it would shoot ~4 and then jam. The longest run I got out of it was about 10.

Already returned it. Big waste of time.

I did read the manual carefully and use tools like this professionally day in and day out. This is the only tool I've ever purchased which worked anywhere close to this poorly.

Bad Dog: 278 Outspoken, Indecent, and Overdressed Dogs
Bad Dog: 278 Outspoken, Indecent, and Overdressed Dogs
by Richard Dean Rosen
Price: $9.95
399 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Phoning it in, and on a bad connection at that, February 24, 2013
As others have stated, there's just nothing funny about this one. Clearly trying to cash in on the predecessor, but without any thought toward creative content. Rather, make some bodily function jokes and hope nobody notices. Skip this one.

Klenk DA86450 Select-A-Bit Ratcheting SPEED Driver with 16 Bits
Klenk DA86450 Select-A-Bit Ratcheting SPEED Driver with 16 Bits
Offered by Klenk Tools, Division of Everhard Products
Price: $25.13
4 used & new from $21.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just the best screwdriver I've ever owned, but perhaps the best tool, January 27, 2013
I really can't say enough good things about this tool. I previously owned the SmartPro Tools SPT 3000-B Speed Driver 13 Piece Geared Screwdriver Set. Last week, I dropped it from about 2 feet onto asphalt and it shattered. I was greatly disappointed because I love the low-torque geared design (bit timesaver for long machine screws). I decided to go replace it but thankfully before I clicked order I caught a review of this Klenk competitive product. I especially noted the Popular Mechanics article which mentioned the Klenk surviving a 6 foot fall onto concrete and I decided it was worth a try.

It arrived a couple of days ago and now my only question is how many I'll order. I've ordered one so far but I expect I'll have bought 5 more within a few weeks.

It has all the same benefits of ratcheting and a low-torque "super ratchet" 4 to 1 geared system. But while the SmartPro requires 2 hands to change direction and sliding a latch to switch gear ratios, the Klenk has a forward/fixed/reverse switch right under my thumb. And switching to the 4:1 mode simply requires grasping the collar with your other hand, no latch like the SmartPro.

I also LOVE the long bits that are accessible in the handle without unscrewing the end. Very convenient, and especially with regards to Philips it means that if you pick too small or too large a Philips bit, you've got a 50:50 chance that the right one is just on the other end of the bit you're using (they're double-headed hex bits).

No disrespect to the SmartPro, I got many great years out of it and without them I wouldn't know such a tool exists. But the Klenk is SO far superior in design and usage that I'll be getting one for every toolkit/bag/car. If only they sold them in a 10-pack ;-)

Page: 1 | 2