ARRAY(0xa4511180)

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Florido RSS Feed (Irvine, CA)

Page: 1 | 2
Thermos Stainless-Steel Vacuum Insulated Bottle
Thermos Stainless-Steel Vacuum Insulated Bottle
Price: $29.53
26 used & new from $20.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent thermos insulated bottle!, August 17, 2010
This is an excellent thermos built with quality you expect from the company. I purchased this to store water or an energy drink. I used it a couple times but found that the spout was a bit of a pain to completely unscrew and remove so I could take a quick swig. What I was really looking for was this:

Thermos Nissan 26-Ounce Vacuum-Insulated Hydration Bottle

It only keeps the temperature around 12 hours as opposed to 24, but it's a better fit. Now this one sits as a spare and is used on occasion to keep drinks cold for the kids.

Huggies Pure & Natural Diapers, Size 4, 46-Count (Pack of 2)
Huggies Pure & Natural Diapers, Size 4, 46-Count (Pack of 2)
Offered by 911 DRUGSTORE
Price: $59.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Diapers, But The Price??, June 23, 2009
We purchased these diapers because my daughter was getting constant rashes with Pampers/Huggies standard diapers. We have been spoiled with purchasing a 300 count box from Costco (standard Huggies).

These are roughly the same cost for a pack of 2, but at a much lower count. It's interesting to me how a company can price gouge the consumer for the simple reason of being marketed as "Pure & Natural". That means these diapers don't have the usual chemicals such as ammonia or any type of fragrance that are in standard diapers and so logic tells me these diapers cost less to manufacture. Oh, these are made from organic cotton and contain soothing aloe and vitamin E....I stand corrected, price justified. ;)

I'm giving a review that is price independent because these diapers are excellent. They fit well and hold under duress. We haven't had any issues with leaks. And most importantly, my daughter's rashes are no more!!

Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
Nikon 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
Price: Click here to see our price
35 used & new from $774.00

5.0 out of 5 stars What an awesome lens!!, April 7, 2008
The lenses I've owned in similar ranges are the Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 and the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Comparing this lens to the 18-70mm is probably a bit unfair, so I won't mention it again. However, there are many people looking for alternatives and the Tamron 17-50mm is as close as it gets so I'll base this review as a comparison to the Tamron. Having owned the Tamron for a few weeks before offing it, I can tell you this. If you're looking for a lens that equally matches or even exceeds the 17-55mm in terms of image quality, then by all means, go for the Tamron. Equality pretty much ends there.

The advantages of the Nikon 17-55mm are the following:
BUILD QUALITY - You immediately notice the build quality as soon as you handle and inspect the 17-55mm. It's encased in metal and nicely sealed so dust, moisture (which leads to fungus) will hopefully be minimized. "Built like a tank" is a good cliche.
FAST FOCUS - The Silent Wave Motor is not only fast, but extremely quiet.
SHARP WIDE OPEN - Using an aperture of f/2.8, this lens is very usable. Another advantage is that is focuses more accurately in low light. This is an aspect that was inferior in the Tamron.
COLOR RENDITION - I've found colors out of the lens are very satisfying with little need to "tweak" during post processing. The Tamron had a warmer color, but this may vary among copies.
MINIMAL CA - CA didn't bother me much in the Tamron, but it's much more controlled on the 17-55mm, especially wide open.
BETTER QUALITY CONTROL - This was the deal breaker with the Tamron. I received a copy that overexposed which is in line with the experiences of many people with that particular lens. Although sample variance exists with Nikon, it's much more controlled.
SIZE/WEIGHT/BALANCE - Some people mention this lens is too bulky and heavy. I find the size and weight actually helpful and helps balance and control on the majority of camera bodies.

The 17-55mm doesn't have any major flaws for me. I'm not a professional nor am I a pixel peeper. I'm just an enthusiast that likes good image quality. However, if I were to knit pick, here are the flaws:
SMALL ZOOM RING - It's annoyingly small at first, but you get used to it.
FLARES EASILY - Point it at a light source directly or even indirectly and this lens has a propensity to flare. You can certainly use the massive hood to mitigate flare.
DISTORTION AT WIDE END - Some say the distortion at the wide end makes this lens unusable for landscape/architecture work. If you're looking for a lens specifically for that task, you may want to consider a true wide angle lens like the 12-24mm or 14-24mm or go Sigma 10-20mm. However, I find this lens quite usable at the wide end.

One peculiarity with the 17-55mm is that it's at its shortest length almost fully zoomed at around 45mm and longest and fully extended at 17mm. I found this amusing since I haven't experienced other lenses with this characteristic.

In my research, I also considered the new Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8. This lens should definitely be on your list because it offers the latest technology and it's a full frame (FX) lens. I ruled it out because it's not only $500 more than the 17-55mm, but also because it's not wide enough for my purposes. Also, I happen to be under the opinion that DX has at least a few more years before it becomes obsoleted/deprecated by FX. People are beginning to recommend against investing in DX lenses, but IMHO, affordable full frame bodies are years away.

Ultimately, I selected the Nikkor 17-55mm over the Tamron 17-50mm because of its superior usability wide open. The hit on my pocketbook was rather significant, but I have no regrets of getting such a excellent lens with a great usable range. If Nikon ever added VR to this lens, then it would be a dream come true. I state this because I often need to use a shutter speed of 1/30 or slower when shooting in low light and I rarely use a tripod. VR would come in extremely handy in this situation to prevent camera shake.

I highly recommend this lens. It's on my camera 9 times out of 10. Okay, I'll stop now.

Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Lens with hood for Nikon-D DSLR Cameras
Offered by DavisMAX
Price: $319.89
4 used & new from $278.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great IQ and nice lens - if you get a good copy, April 7, 2008
I need to preface this review by saying this is an excellent lens for the price. It's unmatched in terms of price versus performance. However, the company is a third party lens manufacturer for Nikon/Canon, etc. If you do further research on this lens, you'll find a higher number of quality issues than lenses from Nikon/Canon. Unfortunately, the copy I received suffered from one of these issues.

Every review of this lens will speak about how it produces excellent images that are not only sharp, but gives an excellent color rendition with good contrast. I concur with this assessment. Furthermore, it's compact, quick to focus and fairly well built. I received the version without the built in focus motor. From early accounts, the screw driven version (original) focuses slightly quicker than the newer version with the built in motor.

The issues with regards to images are minor. It produces some CA wide open which wasn't much of an issue for me, but it depends on the subjects you shoot. Stopping it down helps mitigate the CA. It also has some distortion at the wide end that is correctable with software.

I mentioned earlier, I received a bad copy of this lens which ultimately was a deal breaker for me. My lens had an overexposure issue in which every shot I took without flash needed about a -.7 exposure adjustment. When an external flash unit was used, the overexposure issue became inconsistent. In other words, flash would consistently overexposure some shots which were corrected by the compensation. However, some shots would be overexposed beyond the compensation adjustment and basically blow out the highlights.

I ended up returning the Tamron 17-50mm for the Nikon 17-55mm. It's nearly 3 times the cost, but I can tell you it doesn't have three times the performance as the Tamron. However, Nikon doesn't suffer from the sample variance that third party manufacturers do. It also has qualities that are superior to the Tamron that I won't go into detail, but I can tell you I am more than happy with the Nikon.

In summary, if you're looking for a great lens that gives the most bang for your $$, then try your luck with the Tamron. It's an awesome lens provided you get a good copy. Be prepared to try a couple copies. If I were judging this lens simply based off performance, I would give it 5 stars. However, because quality assurance isn't up to snuff at Tamron, I'm giving this lens 4 stars.

SanDisk 2 GB SDSDX3-2048-901 Extreme III SD Memory Card (Retail Package)
SanDisk 2 GB SDSDX3-2048-901 Extreme III SD Memory Card (Retail Package)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great card for the money, December 8, 2007
I find the EIII 2GB from Sandisk faster than my Kingston SDHC C4 4GB card. If you're looking for a relatively fast card, then the EIII is for you. If you are looking for ultra high speeds because you're shooting sports and/or need high frame rates or need maximum speed and performance, then look elsewhere.

Kingston 4 GB Class 4 SDHC Flash Memory Card SD4/4GB
Kingston 4 GB Class 4 SDHC Flash Memory Card SD4/4GB
Offered by RS Enterprises
Price: Click here to see our price
90 used & new from $1.25

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for the money, but don't expect fast speeds., December 8, 2007
Excellent for the price. I give it a 4/5 because it performs slower than expected from a C4 SDHC card. I also have a Sandisk EIII 2GB. Although it doesn't have the class ratings because it's not SDHC, the Sandisk outperforms the Kingston in both read/write.

My test scenario: Using a Nikon D80 taking 6 shots continuously. The Kingston took considerably longer to write contents from the Nikon D80 buffer.

If you're looking for a high speed card in a similar scenario, then look elsewhere. However, if you want a good card and no particular need for speed, then I recommend getting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 21, 2009 8:02 PM PDT

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Dual-Core Processor, 2.66 GHZ, 4M L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB, LGA775
Offered by iCompNY
Price: $99.99
24 used & new from $11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Intel is back. Did you ever have a doubt?, December 8, 2007
After a brief stint playing second fiddle to AMD, Intel is back on top with its new line of Core 2 multiple core processors. Not going to say much that hasn't already been stated so this review will be short.

This particular processor is awesome! I selected it at the time over the quad core simply because of power consumption of being 65nm. I run my computer 24/7 and didn't really want to pay the added cost for the Quad. I'll reconsider when desktop versions of the 45nm core come out.

Back to the processor, I highly recommend it. If you want to run it at the stock speed, the processor performs well. If you want to overclock it for more performance, then this thing screams! (Relatively speaking of course)

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but not perfect, December 8, 2007
The Nuvi 660 has a great screen that is of optimal size. For the most part, it's a nice GPS unit for the price. However, it does have its limitations.

Here are just some points I like about it. I'll elaborate when necessary:
- Intuitive graphical interface - You can basically turn this unit on and begin using it. Although reading through the manual is recommended.
Generally speedy - For the most part, the unit is generally fast. Browsing around the maps is sometimes slow, but it's still good for a dedicated unit.
- Fast route calculations
- Good menu system
- Good set of POI
- Good set of utilities in Travel Kit - MP3/Audible player, picture viewer, unit conversion
- Bluetooth capability
- Fast satellite reception

Here are my knit picks:
- ETA calculations are horrible - This is especially true with surface streets. I find the calculations are off by at least 10 minutes. It seems Garmin was rather conservative in time estimates and don't take street lights into consideration. As an example, if I have to travel 4 miles on a 45 mph street, then naturally, I'll arrive rather quickly to my destination. However, if I have to go across 15 street lights before I get there, then there's a great likelihood that I won't be traveling 45mph the entire length. I know street lights aren't stored in the mapping databases. However, the fact that there are many intersections gives a good indication that at least a number of them are street lights, thus requires additional time.
- No freeway traffic indicators - If you sign up for traffic, you'll notice you need to go to a different screen to see freeway conditions and traffic alerts. It would be nice to get color status on the map overlay (red/yellow/green). You only get traffic alerts on the map if you set a destination and your route comes across a traffic alert.

For me, none of these points were deal breakers. It's still a great GPS unit that I would recommend.

Edit: As someone pointed out, Text to Speech is a feature that needs to be enabled!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2007 8:50 AM PST

Nikon Capture NX Software for Windows and Mac
Nikon Capture NX Software for Windows and Mac
Offered by Focus Camera
Price: $39.98
6 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great complimentary piece of software!, December 8, 2007
If you're shooting with a Nikon especially with raw (NEF) files, then this software is a must have. I find I do 90% of my post processing in Capture NX. If I have to perform any touch ups or more dramatic effects, then I save first in NX and open in either Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop Elements.

I definitely recommend shooting raw and using Capture NX for the sheer flexibility. With raw, you're able to adjust white balance, sharpening, exposure compensation, color mode and a host of other things. This software is also good for JPEG formatted images. However, it you lose the flexibility.

In terms of ease of use, I give Capture NX 9 out of 10. The interface is simple and intuitive once you grasp the concept of a work flow. You can even create a list of changes and save those settings for use on other images. Furthermore, you can use the settings you saved and run it on several files as a batch process. This is extremely useful for sets of pictures you shot with the same lighting, exposure, etc.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 30, 2007 2:59 AM PST

Planet Earth: The Complete Series [HD DVD]
Planet Earth: The Complete Series [HD DVD]
DVD ~ David Attenborough
Offered by Elegant DVD
Price: $23.99
95 used & new from $0.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely the First Earth/Nature Documentary Keeper in HD, May 12, 2007
One of the reasons why I purchased an HDTV so early was because of Discovery HD. This series years in the making is a must have for any nature/earth enthusiast. I know the BBC began filming 5 years ago when 1080p wasn't available yet so it was probably filmed in 720p and mastered in 1080p.

Anyway, this series is fantastic and a must have in either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. Sir David Attenborough is a seasoned professional, but I kind of missed the comforting sound of Sigourney Weaver. After watching both, I must say there's a reason why Attenborough has been doing this for decades. He's fantastic at what he does.

I tried playing the shows simultaneously while the Discovery Channel played. It's interesting that Discovery edits bits and parts of the episode to make it somewhat shorter. Have a map and a metric converter ready because the BBC references Europe frequently and obviously the metric system when making a comparison to the Amazon as an example. :) The dialog is also different. The BBC (Attenborough) focuses on the raw review of the footage whereas Discovery (Weaver) constantly mentions how this footage was brought to you never before seen with modern technology. It gets a little old, but I appreciated both perspectives.

With that said, here are my list of very minor issues:

- It would be nice to have the option of choosing narrators.

- At the end of each Discover episode, there are behind the scenes commentary. No such commentary on the HD-DVD series.

I'll just want to quickly mention the technology difference when watching this series on Cable or Satellite as opposed to HD-DVD or Blu-Ray. You get the most from the latter simply because Cable/Satellite providers have limited amount of bandwidth to show all their channels. Thus, they must make compromises and compress material before showing it to you. This means the video quality degrades once viewed. Of course there is compression with HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, but it's not nearly as much. Yet another reason why this series is a must have!

Page: 1 | 2